Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

A Look at the Jets Roster

DL
    Wilk - 1st Round Pick
    Pouha - 3rd
    Coples - 1st
    DeVito - UDFA
    Ellis - 3rd (injured past couple of weeks)
    Harrison - UDFA
    Maybin? - 1st

LB
    Pace - 1st
    Harris - 2nd
    Scott - UDFA
    Davis - 3rd
    BThomas - 1st
    McIntryre - UDFA
    Dowtin - UDFA
    Bellore - UDFA

Secondary
    Cro - 1st
    Wilson - 1st
    Landry - 1st
    Bell - UDFA
    Lankster - 7th
    Trufant - UDFA
    Berry - UDFA
    Bush - 6th
    AAllen - 7th
    ESmith - 3rd (Injured past couple of weeks)

Bolded = Starters / Players playing majority of the plays:

Bolded:
    18 players (including Maybin but thats a ? mark lately)
    8 1st round picks (9 with Revis)
    1 2nd
    4 3rd
    1 7th
    4 UDFA

13 of the 18 are top draft picks (within 1st 3 rounds)..14 including Revis (IR)

QB
    Sanchez - 1st
    McElroy - 7th

RB
    Greene - 3rd
    Powell - 4th (Injured past couple of weeks)
    McKnight - 4th (Primarily a ST player this season)
    Hilliard - UDFA
    Grimes - UDFA

WR
    Hill - 2nd
    Kerley - 5th
    Schilens - 7th
    Gates - 4th

TE
    Keller - 1st
    Cumberland - UDFA
    Reuland - UDFA

OL
    D'Brick - 1st
    Slauson / Ducasse - 6th/2nd
    Mangold - 1st
    BMoore - UDFA (Developed into a solid OG by the previous regimes)
    Howard - UDFA
    JSmith - 1st
    Schlauderaff - 6th

?
    Tebow - 1st

18 (not including Tebow since he is a sideshow and hardly used)
    5 1st (6 with Holmes)
    2 2nd
    1 3rd
    1 6th
    1 7th
    5 UDFA

8 of the 14 are top draft picks (within 1st 3 rounds)..9 including Holmes (IR)

1 sideshow - Tebow (due to Woody wanting him)

Lack of talent or lack of developed talent?

D has talent, lacks development.
    - LB Lacks young talent/developed talent

O lacks WR talent....Hill/Kerley/Gates show potential with further development

Summary..Woody, Tanny & Rex are all to blame.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Listing players by round in which other teams drafted them shows no purpose

What is a valid measurement are FA contracts which should be graded and are much more relevant than where Cro, Maybin or Scott etc were picked.

Revis was a great pick, his 2nd contract is a disaster. Picking Revis shows great insight, his contract shows incompetence.

Rex, like all players coaches have a short shelf life. They are great for veteran teams, but are less so for building a team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have said it before and i will continue to say it. The NYJets are not a bad team and infact has many talented players. This team needs direction form the 2 people that should be it's biggest leaders and are not getting it.

Rex Ryan is not a HC and therefore cannot lead a team.

Mark Sanchez is not a Game Manager and therefore cannot lead this team.

The term game manager is used to undermind a starting NFL QB,but truth be told, that is exactly what this position needs. You need to manage the In-game situations.

Down and Distance
    Read the defense
    Audibles
    Flip the field when neccessary
    Take advantage of opportunities when presented.

This Jet team has No HC to lead the coaches and NO QB to lead the players.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Listing players by round in which other teams drafted them shows no purpose

What is a valid measurement are FA contracts which should be graded and are much more relevant than where Cro, Maybin or Scott etc were picked.

Revis was a great pick, his 2nd contract is a disaster. Picking Revis shows great insight, his contract shows incompetence.

Rex, like all players coaches have a short shelf life. They are great for veteran teams, but are less so for building a team.
    Sure it does..It still shows their "talent"...If the Jets were to acquire Eli Manning that wouldn't be relevant?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Sure it does..It still shows their "talent"...If the Jets were to acquire Eli Manning that wouldn't be relevant?
    Right, but what if the Jets acquired Carson Palmer? It's hard to place a grade with draft picks from other teams.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    DL
    Wilk - 1st Round Pick
    Pouha - 3rd
    Coples - 1st
    DeVito - UDFA
    Harrison - UDFA
    Maybin? - 1st

LB
    Pace - 1st
    Harris - 2nd
    Scott - UDFA
    Davis - 3rd
    BThomas - 1st
    McIntryre - UDFA
    Dowtin - UDFA
    Bellore - UDFA

Secondary
    Cro - 1st
    Wilson - 1st
    Landry - 1st
    Bell - UDFA
    Lankster - 7th
    Trufant - UDFA
    Berry - UDFA
    Bush - 6th
    AAllen - 7th

Bolded:
    1 2nd
    4 3rd
    1 7th
    4 UDFA

QB
    Sanchez - 1st
    McElroy - 7th

RB
    Greene - 3rd
    Hilliard - UDFA
    Grimes - UDFA

WR
    Hill - 2nd
    Kerley - 5th
    Schilens - 7th
    Gates - 4th

TE
    Keller - 1st
    Cumberland - UDFA
    Reuland - UDFA

OL
    D'Brick - 1st
    Mangold - 1st
    Howard - UDFA
    JSmith - 1st
    Schlauderaff - 6th

?
    Tebow - 1st

5 1st (6 with Holmes)
    2 2nd
    1 3rd
    1 6th
    1 7th
    5 UDFA

WOW...CMART is FINALLY coming around. What happened to your defense of Tanny? Realistically, Tanny was good in 2006 to 2008. The REX influence has ruined this team.

Compare our drafts to the GIANTS.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just look at the names.
    Offense: only one really good player -Mangold. Brick has become eh
    Defense: only one really good player - Cromartie.

Don't care about injuries. Every team has them.
    All the over estimating on the defense about Wilkerson, Coples, Ellis, Harris, Maybin, Davis, Bell. They're good? No so fast.
    The offense has zip at the skilled positions. Hey, they just added Hayden Smith to the active roster. That'll do it.

And coaches. Rex - he's a fat (still) big mouth. Pettine? Rex's buddy and what else. Sparano. A loser elsewhere and now suddenly good?
    And BTW, why exactly does Westhoff get all this praise all the time? They make plays sometime. And sometimes STs disgrace themselves - I've seen plenty of that.

The drafting on this team has stunk for a long time. Pre Rex, but he has not helped. There WERE some good players brought in under Herm and Mangini at least.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, because you would have had to give up a lot of value and $$ to get him.
    Having Maybin and Smith as "talented players" that the jets had nothing to do with shows little.

Showing Scott and Bell as UDFA just shows the opposite.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    WOW...CMART is FINALLY coming around. What happened to your defense of Tanny? Realistically, Tanny was good in 2006 to 2008. The REX influence has ruined this team.

Compare our drafts to the GIANTS.
    My stance has always been to not just place blame on Tanny...People think just because a draft pick doesn't work out it's the GMs fault...

My point has been the picking of the players in the draft is just the beginning..It's then up to the Coaching staff to DEVELOP that player and put them in position to succeed.

As for comparing the Giants..Someone else can do that as others in the post don't seem to approve of this method...Of course they won't do any work and put something together but that's no surprise.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Just look at the names.
    Offense: only one really good player -Mangold. Brick has become eh
    Defense: only one really good player - Cromartie.

Don't care about injuries. Every team has them.
    All the over estimating on the defense about Wilkerson, Coples, Ellis, Harris, Maybin, Davis, Bell. They're good? No so fast.
    The offense has zip at the skilled positions. Hey, they just added Hayden Smith to the active roster. That'll do it.

And coaches. Rex - he's a fat (still) big mouth. Pettine? Rex's buddy and what else. Sparano. A loser elsewhere and now suddenly good?
    And BTW, why exactly does Westhoff get all this praise all the time? They make plays sometime. And sometimes STs disgrace themselves - I've seen plenty of that.

The drafting on this team has stunk for a long time. Pre Rex, but he has not helped. There WERE some good players brought in under Herm and Mangini at least.
    Again...Don't place all the blame on the "drafting" of these players...Many, many, many of these players haven't been DEVELOPED and look bad due to POOR coaching. Many have REGRESSED under Rex and his staff

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    Right, but what if the Jets acquired Carson Palmer? It's hard to place a grade with draft picks from other teams.
    Every NFL teams roster contains players drafted by other teams...

Don't like what I put together...OK. No problem. Put something together yourself instead of just saying, "Tanny sucks", "Rex sucks"...

All you hear now from the media is the Jets lack talent...But does anyone in the media drill down and really look at the Jets roster and the players and how they have performed under Rex and his staff...

Name players that have improved under Rex and his staff???

Revis was already on his way up...Holmes has regressed..I say D'Brick is the same..Mangold is regressing, as is Harris...Keller? Has he taken the next step to the next level? No. Sanchez and Greene? Both have regressed since their rookie season...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Again...Don't place all the blame on the "drafting" of these players...Many, many, many of these players haven't been DEVELOPED and look bad due to POOR coaching. Many have REGRESSED under Rex and his staff

I clearly indicated that the Jet's coaching is deficient. BUT, the players they have acquired via draft or trade are nothing to write home about.
    As far as developing, perhaps the drafted/acquired players have limited upside. Perhaps I am a shill for the SEC/ACC (vested interest) but the conferences are ignored by the Jets. Maine, Umass, Temple, Hampton?
    OK, Hill was from GT. They don't pass there. Why get a WR in the second. Get one from FSU or Alabama.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wish they would just switch to a 4-3 and call it a day. The thing that kills me more than anything is the complete lack of pass rush.

COMPLETE. LACK. OF. PASS. RUSH.

We have invested two 1st round picks in the D-line on guys that can play inside or outside and that would allow us the flexibility to do what Rex claims his hybrid BS system does. I agree with the philosophy of building in the trenches but the results just aren't there. We get no push on the pocket, no pressure and we can't stop the run. Slam Kyle Wilson all you want but what the hell is up with the D-line.

Someone fill me in here... what's their issue?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    DL
    Wilk - 1st Round Pick
    Pouha - 3rd
    Coples - 1st
    DeVito - UDFA
    Harrison - UDFA
    Maybin? - 1st

LB
    Pace - 1st
    Harris - 2nd
    Scott - UDFA
    Davis - 3rd
    BThomas - 1st
    McIntryre - UDFA
    Dowtin - UDFA
    Bellore - UDFA

Secondary
    Cro - 1st
    Wilson - 1st
    Landry - 1st
    Bell - UDFA
    Lankster - 7th
    Trufant - UDFA
    Berry - UDFA
    Bush - 6th
    AAllen - 7th

Bolded:
    1 2nd
    4 3rd
    1 7th
    4 UDFA

QB
    Sanchez - 1st
    McElroy - 7th

RB
    Greene - 3rd
    Hilliard - UDFA
    Grimes - UDFA

WR
    Hill - 2nd
    Kerley - 5th
    Schilens - 7th
    Gates - 4th

TE
    Keller - 1st
    Cumberland - UDFA
    Reuland - UDFA

OL
    D'Brick - 1st
    Mangold - 1st
    Howard - UDFA
    JSmith - 1st
    Schlauderaff - 6th

?
    Tebow - 1st

5 1st (6 with Holmes)
    2 2nd
    1 3rd
    1 6th
    1 7th
    5 UDFA

Come on guys this is like saying a 1st rounder at 40YO is the same talent as a 1st rounder at 25YO. Pace and Thomas are fossils at this point. Maybin wasn't our 1st rounder and has bounced from his first team. It is no guarantee that he has talent. Just because someone is drafted in a certain round doesn't make it a given that they can be molded into a starter, esp if the team didn't draft them.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    I clearly indicated that the Jet's coaching is deficient. BUT, the players they have acquired via draft or trade are nothing to write home about.
    As far as developing, perhaps the drafted/acquired players have limited upside. Perhaps I am a shill for the SEC/ACC (vested interest) but the conferences are ignored by the Jets. Maine, Umass, Temple, Hampton?
    OK, Hill was from GT. They don't pass there. Why get a WR in the second. Get one from FSU or Alabama.
    Perhaps..But that's all this place complains about is drafting those with upside. i.e. Ducasse, Hill..acquiring Gates..

Hill had a 1st round grade by many pre-draft exerts..And this board LOVED the pick..LOVED it. Was a steal...Hindsight.

Every player drafted needs development..Every player!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't like what I put together...OK. No problem. Put something together yourself instead of just saying, "Tanny sucks", "Rex sucks"...

All you hear now from the media is the Jets lack talent...But does anyone in the media drill down and really look at the Jets roster and the players and how they have performed under Rex and his staff...

Revis was already on his way up...Holmes has regressed..I say D'Brick is the same..Mangold is regressing, as is Harris...Keller? Has he taken the next step to the next level? No. Sanchez and Greene? Both have regressed since their rookie season...
    Pouha and Devito come to mind. Wilkerson is coming along nicely despite what people would like to spin about him. Like I mentioned we haven't replaced aging parts and that will catch up to you eventually. I can't look to Rex specifically for offense b/c i don't think he plays a huge role in their development. Rex is a Kubiak except on defense, he needs to find his Wade Phillips on offense.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed... this is the core argument against Rex. Where is the progression?

This is why the D-line concerns me so much... that's supposed to be his baby and we get no push, no pass rush, and now can't even stop the run.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Come on guys this is like saying a 1st rounder at 40YO is the same talent as a 1st rounder at 25YO. Pace and Thomas are fossils at this point. Maybin wasn't our 1st rounder and has bounced from his first team. It is no guarantee that he has talent. Just because someone is drafted in a certain round doesn't make it a given that they can be molded into a starter, esp if the team didn't draft them.
    JC...Its an overview...A guide...JC people..

Go back to when Maybin was drafted..He was listed as a 1st round grade..God people.

Per my above note..All you hear is how the Jets don't have talent and it's all Tanny's fault...It's not.

Who has improved under Rex and his staff?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Pouha and Devito come to mind. Wilkerson is coming along nicely despite what people would like to spin about him. Like I mentioned we haven't replaced aging parts and that will catch up to you eventually. I can't look to Rex specifically for offense b/c i don't think he plays a huge role in their development. Rex is a Kubiak except on defense, he needs to find his Wade Phillips on offense.
    But he is the HC and his staff and their performance is HIS responsibility..

I have stated many times Rex and his staff...

How anyone can absolve Rex from this mess is mind boggling...If you had a team of all 5th rounders a competent coach would have his team better prepared than Rex has...
    Last edited by C Mart; 10-29-2012 at 12:29 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigalbarracuda View Post
    Agreed... this is the core argument against Rex. Where is the progression?

This is why the D-line concerns me so much... that's supposed to be his baby and we get no push, no pass rush, and now can't even stop the run.
    Concerns???? I have NO Concerns anymore. We suck. Good night to 2012.