Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Look at the Jets Roster

Quote Originally Posted by bigalbarracuda View Post
    I wish they would just switch to a 4-3 and call it a day. The thing that kills me more than anything is the complete lack of pass rush.

COMPLETE. LACK. OF. PASS. RUSH.

We have invested two 1st round picks in the D-line on guys that can play inside or outside and that would allow us the flexibility to do what Rex claims his hybrid BS system does. I agree with the philosophy of building in the trenches but the results just aren't there. We get no push on the pocket, no pressure and we can't stop the run. Slam Kyle Wilson all you want but what the hell is up with the D-line.

Someone fill me in here... what's their issue?

They are first rounders that are not any good. What were they in college? Bleh. Garbage in, garbage out. The LBs aren't any better either.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Perhaps..But that's all this place complains about is drafting those with upside. i.e. Ducasse, Hill..acquiring Gates..

Hill had a 1st round grade by many pre-draft exerts..And this board LOVED the pick..LOVED it. Was a steal...Hindsight.

Every player drafted needs development..Every player!

I didn't like Hill. Still don't. Totally unpolished. But I get to watch mucho SEC/ACC football. They are on 24/7 almost. Have their own network.
    Want a receiver - look to a passing school. GT isn't it. Want an RB - look at a running school. Want a DL? Don't look to Temple or Hampton. Or at a lazy guy from UNC (with apologies to my cpa friend).

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Concerns???? I have NO Concerns anymore. We suck. Good night to 2012.
    Well if the D-line played up to their potential I think a lot of the defensive woes would be afterthoughts. The 2007 Giants had a terrible secondary but they ripped through the playoffs because of that D-line.

All Pro
    Agreed... this is the core argument against Rex. Where is the progression?

This is why the D-line concerns me so much... that's supposed to be his baby and we get no push, no pass rush, and now can't even stop the run.
    The players are not being put in position to best utalize their talents . Also, Rex has this idea from baltimore about how his defense should look and he's stuborn . The really bad part is it looks like the scouts and the GM are picking players late and in free agency to adjust to a defense once Rex is gone.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    I didn't like Hill. Still don't. Totally unpolished. But I get to watch mucho SEC/ACC football. They are on 24/7 almost. Have their own network.
    Want a receiver - look to a passing school. GT isn't it. Want an RB - look at a running school. Want a DL? Don't look to Temple or Hampton. Or at a lazy guy from UNC (with apologies to my cpa friend).
    Idk... if the talent is there it can come from a number of places... it concerns me that Rex specifically worked these guys out, drafted them and meanwhile the D-line is a joke.

Granted we have nothing at OLB... but jesus I'd love to see some push on the pocket.

JC...Its an overview...A guide...JC people..

Go back to when Maybin was drafted..He was listed as a 1st round grade..God people.

Per my above note..All you hear is how the Jets don't have talent and it's all Tanny's fault...It's not.

Who has improved under Rex and his staff?
    So was Gholston? I am not getting your point via talent v. grade. If the draft were really that easy Bellicheck would have never had a bust, Parcells either. It's a crap shoot where you have to minimize your bust potential. Jason at nyjetscap had an article highlighting where certain positions become risky etc. The Jets routinely ignored the probabilities and just do w/e.

As for offense, yes Rex holds accountability. But while we all adore the Texans we forget how utterly bad Kubiak was at developing his D. It took Phillips to do that, just like I think Turner could for Rex.

And I have no idea why you keep pounding your fist for the draft being a guide. Pace had talent, had being the key word. Same with Bryan Thomas. But that talent is GONE. Father time beats everyone eventually. This team is not high in talent in key areas, I would say that our DL has talent. Our LBs are pretty bare except for Harris (who I agree with you has regressed under Ryan). Corners are talented sans Wilson (again Jets decided they were smarter and went after the guy from Boise state, not exactly a reputable source of high quality players).

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    No apology needed. I agree 100 percent. CMART, with all due and earned respect has a different view. He makes GREAT points and is right about development BUT..

WTF are we doing at schools like UMASS, TEMPLE, Hampton, BOISE with early picks.

Last impact 1st rounder is 2007...

Revis & Mangold... Not going to win w/ that....

We are upon Kotite part 2...

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    The players are not being put in position to best utalize their talents . Also, Rex has this idea from baltimore about how his defense should look and he's stuborn . The really bad part is it looks like the scouts and the GM are picking players late and in free agency to adjust to a defense once Rex is gone.
    I've been a big fan of Rex but the whole ground and pound, play tough defense, smashmouth football schtick is just crap at this point.

1. We can't run the ball.
    2. We can't stop the run.
    3. We can't rush the passer.

That's the team identity right there... those are the three things your supposed to do. Those are the three things you run your mouth off about consistently.

I come to this site and everyone screams about Sanchez, but the issue is that we can't do those three things.

At the end of the day Sanchez is a limited QB who has shown flashes but ultimately is an inaccurate passer and prone to making poor decisions. Forget having no weapons... he would look a whole lot better if we could do those three things listed above.

No apology needed. I agree 100 percent. CMART, with all due and earned respect has a different view. He makes GREAT points and is right about development BUT..

WTF are we doing at schools like UMASS, TEMPLE, Hampton, BOISE with early picks.
    CPA,

You do know Ellis was recruited by the big schools and went to S, Carolina but was dismissed after a yr for his off field issues

And based of your and others draft strategy the Jets couldn't draft DeMarcis Ware in the 1st round because he went to Troy university.

And the Jets shouldn't have drafted DDavis this yr because he went to Arkansas St
    Last edited by C Mart; 10-29-2012 at 02:07 PM.

All Pro
    Rex
    I've been a big fan of Rex but the whole ground and pound, play tough defense, smashmouth football schtick is just crap at this point.

That's the team identity right there... those are the three things your supposed to do. Those are the three things you run your mouth off about consistently.

I come to this site and everyone screams about Sanchez, but the issue is that we can't do those three things.

At the end of the day Sanchez is a limited QB who has shown flashes but ultimately is an inaccurate passer and prone to making poor decisions. Forget having no weapons... he would look a whole lot better if we could do those three things listed above.
    Rex should have been fired after last season .He should have been the coach to take Holmes off the field in Miami.Then when he admitted that he as the HC didn't have the pulse of his team, he should have been fire for gross negligence .

There's nothing wrong with the philosophy, the problem is the trigger man is a problem and the wrong players are being utalize at the wrong times. Everyone love the big play and the explosive sack, but the key to defense is to stop the offense from scoring. That's why i prefer a defensive minded HC who builds a strong defense with an offense capable of taking advantage of mistakes. IE managing the game.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    DL
    Wilk - 1st Round Pick
    Pouha - 3rd
    Coples - 1st
    DeVito - UDFA
    Ellis - 3rd (injured past couple of weeks)
    Harrison - UDFA
    Maybin? - 1st

LB
    Pace - 1st
    Harris - 2nd
    Scott - UDFA
    Davis - 3rd
    BThomas - 1st
    McIntryre - UDFA
    Dowtin - UDFA
    Bellore - UDFA

Secondary
    Cro - 1st
    Wilson - 1st
    Landry - 1st
    Bell - UDFA
    Lankster - 7th
    Trufant - UDFA
    Berry - UDFA
    Bush - 6th
    AAllen - 7th
    ESmith - 3rd (Injured past couple of weeks)

Bolded = Starters / Players playing majority of the plays:

Bolded:
    18 players (including Maybin but thats a ? mark lately)
    8 1st round picks (9 with Revis)
    1 2nd
    4 3rd
    1 7th
    4 UDFA

13 of the 18 are top draft picks (within 1st 3 rounds)..14 including Revis (IR)

QB
    Sanchez - 1st
    McElroy - 7th

RB
    Greene - 3rd
    Powell - 4th (Injured past couple of weeks)
    McKnight - 4th (Primarily a ST player this season)
    Hilliard - UDFA
    Grimes - UDFA

WR
    Hill - 2nd
    Kerley - 5th
    Schilens - 7th
    Gates - 4th

TE
    Keller - 1st
    Cumberland - UDFA
    Reuland - UDFA

OL
    D'Brick - 1st
    Slauson / Ducasse - 6th/2nd
    Mangold - 1st
    BMoore - UDFA (Developed into a solid OG by the previous regimes)
    Howard - UDFA
    JSmith - 1st
    Schlauderaff - 6th

?
    Tebow - 1st

Bolded = Starters / Players playing majority of the plays:

18 (not including Tebow since he is a sideshow and hardly used)
    5 1st (6 with Holmes)
    2 2nd
    1 3rd
    1 6th
    1 7th
    5 UDFA

8 of the 14 are top draft picks (within 1st 3 rounds)..9 including Holmes (IR)

1 sideshow - Tebow (due to Woody wanting him)

Lack of talent or lack of developed talent?

D has talent, lacks development.
    - LB Lacks young talent/developed talent

O lacks WR talent....Hill/Kerley/Gates show potential with further development

Summary..Woody, Tanny & Rex are all to blame.
    Now put their years experience next to them, as well as the rest of the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Now put their years experience next to them, as well as the rest of the roster.
    You can do it. I did the heavy lifting

Jets Insider VIP
    CPA,

You do know Ellis was recruited by the big schools and went to S, Carolina but was dismissed after a yr for his off field issues

And based of your and others draft strategy the Jets couldn't draft DeMarcis Ware in the 1st round because he went to Troy university.

And the Jets shouldn't have drafted DDavis this yr because he went to Arkansas St
    and Jerry Rice went to MVS and Walter Payton went to jackson state...lets bring in Randy Moss etc... there are ALWAYS exceptions.

BUT in 2010 we had the FEWEST...the fukkin FEWEST picks in the draft and picked from Boise, UMASS and Kentucky not to mention McNight from USC which is OK. Wilson or McNight are the highlight of our 2010 draft? PLEASE.

Problem is Tanny acts like he knows something. well... the JETS have a long history of this type of drafting.

2011 we draft Temple, then Hampton. Please, step away from the Kool Aid.

and Jerry Rice went to MVS and Walter Payton went to jackson state...lets bring in Randy Moss etc... there are ALWAYS exceptions.

BUT in 2010 we had the FEWEST...the fukkin FEWEST picks in the draft and picked from Boise, UMASS and Kentucky not to mention McNight from USC which is OK. Wilson or McNight are the highlight of our 2010 draft? PLEASE.

Problem is Tanny acts like he knows something. well... the JETS have a long history of this type of drafting.

2011 we draft Temple, then Hampton. Please, step away from the Kool Aid.
    Thanks for understanding what I wrote..Did you even read how Ellis went to S. Carolina...

And now you are putting exceptions in your criteria....Like others have stated..I think you make this crap up as you go along...

And once again you are lumping your 43 years of frustration trying to make a point..

And please stop with the kool aid crap...I provide facts..You don't..Christ you don't even understand how the front office works...I've posted evidence a dozen times..

You make it sound like you are absolving Rex from this freaking mess.

Are you kidding me..Have you watched this team on Sundays and how unprepared, undisciplined his team is? That is coaching!

Wake up! This is Kotite part 2...He's a clown and needs to go...They all need to go!! Woody too if he could be fired

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    You can do it. I did the heavy lifting
    lol. The point is they are young and getting younger.

If u have defensive genius as a coach scoring around 20pts gets you wins wth a ok offense, sprano is a joke off. Cord. He no pulse of the game his playing calling is horrible. he calls plays like he picks them out of a hat. I liked shotty. Big problem is we cannot stop anybody on 3rd down. We get injuries we have no depth, sanchez running for his life on every play =loses. all due to bad decisions by gm , we need a change

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by donick-jets View Post
    If u have defensive genius as a coach scoring around 20pts gets you wins wth a ok offense, sprano is a joke off. Cord. He no pulse of the game his playing calling is horrible. he calls plays like he picks them out of a hat. I liked shotty. Big problem is we cannot stop anybody on 3rd down. We get injuries we have no depth, sanchez running for his life on every play =loses. all due to bad decisions by gm , we need a change

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
    O is not only incapable of scoring, they can't convert and at least keep the opposition off the field, nor get field position to punt outside their own end zone, nor keep from giving them points. Coupled with ST's giving points it's a disaster. Hard to win with only 1 of 3 phases working.

Jets Insider VIP
    Thanks for understanding what I wrote..Did you even read how Ellis went to S. Carolina...

And now you are putting exceptions in your criteria....Like others have stated..I think you make this crap up as you go along...

And once again you are lumping your 43 years of frustration trying to make a point..

And please stop with the kool aid crap...I provide facts..You don't..Christ you don't even understand how the front office works...I've posted evidence a dozen times..

You make it sound like you are absolving Rex from this freaking mess.

Are you kidding me..Have you watched this team on Sundays and how unprepared, undisciplined his team is? That is coaching!

Wake up! This is Kotite part 2...He's a clown and needs to go...They all need to go!! Woody too if he could be fired
    The evidence, regardless of how you and I look at it is, our drafting is inferior since 2008 . How or why is debatable but you blame player development. That is very fair and may be true. REX can't seem to evaluate young talent. Tanny , under REX, can't seem to draft players like he did in 2006 and 2007 .

Jets Insider VIP

For a great post the clapping is so much better!!

And post more dude!!