Thread: In 2012 and beyond you can win it all

All Pro

In 2012 and beyond you can win it all

With an offense that features running the ball backed up by a solid defense and a game manager at QB. I know this is not the popular opinion base on the way the game is played today, but IMHO that phylosophy is incorrect.

Football is still all about blocking and tackling. If you block for 3 yards on 1st down and another 3 yards on 2nd down, the whole playbook is open to you on 3rd down. If the coaches design a scheme that call for a defender to be in a gap,and the runner hits that gap, u make the tackle.

Great defense is mostly aided by consistant offense. The offense doesn't have to always score, but they do have to flip the field to assist the defense which is usually playing at a disadvantage.

The key to the team is the manager and that person is the QB. This player doesn't have to have the strongest arm, but his accuracy must be unquestioned. If you can find a QB who's accurate, a student of the game, has a strong arm is above 6'2" and mobile, you have something special.

Special doesn't happen often,so solid is what u look for. Solid is a student of the game, (someone who understands coverages ) can get the ball to his playmakers and is accurate.

If you give me an accurate QB with a decent OL and a Shonn Greene type RB i can beat u with scrub receivers who can catch the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    With an offense that features running the ball backed up by a solid defense and a game manager at QB. I know this is not the popular opinion base on the way the game is played today, but IMHO that phylosophy is incorrect.

Football is still all about blocking and tackling. If you block for 3 yards on 1st down and another 3 yards on 2nd down, the whole playbook is open to you on 3rd down. If the coaches design a scheme that call for a defender to be in a gap,and the runner hits that gap, u make the tackle.

Great defense is mostly aided by consistant offense. The offense doesn't have to always score, but they do have to flip the field to assist the defense which is usually playing at a disadvantage.

The key to the team is the manager and that person is the QB. This player doesn't have to have the strongest arm, but his accuracy must be unquestioned. If you can find a QB who's accurate, a student of the game, has a strong arm is above 6'2" and mobile, you have something special.

Special doesn't happen often,so solid is what u look for. Solid is a student of the game, (someone who understands coverages ) can get the ball to his playmakers and is accurate.

If you give me an accurate QB with a decent OL and a Shonn Greene type RB i can beat u with scrub receivers who can catch the ball.
    Montana DID NOT have a strong arm.
    Maybe someone like Mac can be the type of QB your talking about.
    If you have a guy smart enough to go though his progressions, and is accurate like your looking for who's to say that that Mac could not be slightly better than Smith in San Fran.
    Sanchez has absolutely no touch on his short throws & that is the main reason why the Jets have so many 3 & outs.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Montana DID NOT have a strong arm.
    Maybe someone like Mac can be the type of QB your talking about.
    If you have a guy smart enough to go though his progressions, and is accurate like your looking for who's to say that that Mac could not be slightly better than Smith in San Fran.
    Sanchez has absolutely no touch on his short throws & that is the main reason why the Jets have so many 3 & outs.
    My biggest problem with McElroy and the Jets front office and coaching staff as a whole is simple. If McElroy and for that matter Tebow is not a legitamate option at QB, then why are they on this team.

What was or is supposed to be the plan for continuity should Sanchez be forced to miss any time due to injury. I keep hearing our HC say he doesn't have any option at QB that can help this team win , yet we have 2 players collecting checks at the QB position.

If these 2 are not an option when the only option is considered the worse at his position amoung his peers, then who is responsable for this incompetence.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    My biggest problem with McElroy and the Jets front office and coaching staff as a whole is simple. If McElroy and for that matter Tebow is not a legitamate option at QB, then why are they on this team.

What was or is supposed to be the plan for continuity should Sanchez be forced to miss any time due to injury. I keep hearing our HC say he doesn't have any option at QB that can help this team win , yet we have 2 players collecting checks at the QB position.

If these 2 are not an option when the only option is considered the worse at his position amoung his peers, then who is responsable for this incompetence.
    It is ALL on Rex ... He has some strange fatherly attachment to Sackchez. He will NEVER replace him. It is the exact same blind loyalty he had for Scott, only stronger... Borderline nepotism.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    comical.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    comical.
    Albeit dripping in pathos.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    It is ALL on Rex ... He has some strange fatherly attachment to Sackchez. He will NEVER replace him. It is the exact same blind loyalty he had for Scott, only stronger... Borderline nepotism.
    Scott came up with him as a rookie coach he can't totally abandon him, yet. Father son, that's PAL football.

If the team has a great blocking TE or two
    And
    If the team had two backs, a small lightning big play guy like a Sproules
    And
    If the team had a tough running big effort, one cut back.
    And
    If the team had some olbs that could rush the passer.
    And
    If the team had that decent game manage type QB.

They might have a chance.

The biggest obstacle to the the old style ground and pound is that you get vritually no added penalty yardage out of a game whereas a passing team gets two or three potential huge gains by ticky tacky PI, Holding or Dangerous hit plays.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    If the team has a great blocking TE or two
    And
    If the team had two backs, a small lightning big play guy like a Sproules
    And
    If the team had a tough running big effort, one cut back.
    And
    If the team had some olbs that could rush the passer.
    And
    If the team had that decent game manage type QB.

They might have a chance.

The biggest obstacle to the the old style ground and pound is that you get vritually no added penalty yardage out of a game whereas a passing team gets two or three potential huge gains by ticky tacky PI, Holding or Dangerous hit plays.
    Ground and pound doesn't imply that you don't throw the ball down the field. The pass to Cromartie down the field that was out of bounds is what comes from successfully running the ball. The Jets were in 2nd and 5 and sometimes less many times on sunday in miami . Do u realize that we connected on less that 5% of those for 1st downs.

This offense is offensive and the defense is undermaned due to injury and the play of it's Lbing core but is putting up a fight. It doesn't help when the offense gives up scores,the special teams gives up scores and the defense spends all day on the field.