Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sanchez cap #

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    There was no need to extend him, but tanny goes ahead and does it. Can anyone give an explaination after how after he sucked down the stretch last year, its was necessary to extend him.

and do not give me the "his feelings were hurt becasue of the peyton manning" crap. That cant be the answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    They saved money on last year's cap. Typical Tanny credit card move.
    Honestly, as stupid as it sounds, i think it was to solidify his confidence after they signed Tebow.

We all know how Mark has been coddled, and made to feel needed since hes been here.

Christ, he only had 1 year in college.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Honestly, as stupid as it sounds, i think it was to solidify his confidence after they signed Tebow.

We all know how Mark has been coddled, and made to feel needed since hes been here.

Christ, he only had 1 year in college.
    I think he got the extension prior to the Tebow trade.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I think he got the extension prior to the Tebow trade.
    oh.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Just another reason why Tanny needs to be fired.

I don't blame him for the Holmes contract. We needed to sign Holmes. Maybe we overpaid but that happens in FA.

BUT.

Brick - bad contract, and he restructured him after a year of regression.
    Harris - Now looking like atrocious contract. He was a good player but in no way deserved to be the highest paid at his position.
    Scott - the restructuring was an awful decision. Chasing Aso.
    Sanchez - Contract is mostly fluff but we committed to a regressing QB for 2 more yrs (2012 and 2013).

The restructured contracts basically robbed Peter to pay Paul. Mortgaged the future. The future is now.
    Why do you think there was going to be a lot of demand for holmes? When 4 months previous there was no demand for him making 1mill a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary.html

Our cap page works good IMO. There is no easy answers to some contracts though
    Thanks. Why is trading him better for the cap than cutting him?

Can the Jets trade Sanchez but pay part of his salary? His base salary is $12.8M next year.... can the Jets pay $9M of his salary as part of a trade to induce some team to trade for him?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsfootballguy View Post

Can the Jets trade Sanchez but pay part of his salary? His base salary is $12.8M next year.... can the Jets pay $9M of his salary as part of a trade to induce some team to trade for him?
    I asked this also. Was told no.

Its sad, but almost a better argument to cut him and take a 17 mil cap hit, LOL

Much like Hunter the base salary can be transferred in trade. We'd only be on the hook for his bonuses by my understanding if we traded him. But as I mentioned who is going to pick up an 8.25 mil BU? I don't know if we can trade him and pay part of it. I have never seen that in football. So even if we trade him he is still due like 9 mil we are stuck with.

All Pro
    IS THERE ANY WAY POSSIBLE he is off the team next year?

Any realistic scenario. I just need hope, and im good for a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    IS THERE ANY WAY POSSIBLE he is off the team next year?

Any realistic scenario. I just need hope, and im good for a few weeks.
    Crazy things have happened. 2013 starts the new salary cap floor numbers. If a team like Jax or Seattle needs to eat a few mil it is possible. I wouldn;t bet it happens though.

Jets Insider VIP
    Not looking for debates, just numbers. What is Sanchez' cap # for next year? How much do the Jets have to pay/does he count against the cap him if he's on the bench in 2013?

How much do the Jets have to pay him/does he count against the cap if they cut/trade him before 2013?

Again, just curious to know the exact numbers. I know it's a lot.
    Good luck keeping it to that!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Just another reason why Tanny needs to be fired.

I don't blame him for the Holmes contract. We needed to sign Holmes. Maybe we overpaid but that happens in FA.

BUT.

Brick - bad contract, and he restructured him after a year of regression.
    Harris - Now looking like atrocious contract. He was a good player but in no way deserved to be the highest paid at his position.
    Scott - the restructuring was an awful decision. Chasing Aso.
    Sanchez - Contract is mostly fluff but we committed to a regressing QB for 2 more yrs (2012 and 2013).

The restructured contracts basically robbed Peter to pay Paul. Mortgaged the future. The future is now.
    The holmes contract was Tanny's biggest mistake of his tenure!?!?! Not a big deal? Maybe overpaid? We needed to sign him?

We had 2 big WR up for free agency. We needed to split the money 6 for holmes, 4 for BE, or 5 and 5.

Braylon stays, Holmes walks, and the Jets save 6 mill+ in cap space, and don't have a locker room cancer stuck on our team for the next 5 years.

If you line up all of Tanny's mistakes signing Holmes to 50mil is BY FAR his biggest mistake. We let a more talented receiver leave, and saddled mark, our offense, our OC with the over rated bumb that is Holmes.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Crazy things have happened. 2013 starts the new salary cap floor numbers. If a team like Jax or Seattle needs to eat a few mil it is possible. I wouldn;t bet it happens though.
    Wow.

This is worse than the Pitt and Mia games combined.

Well then, looks like im off the wagon till they find a way to ditch the scrub.

Needed to spend more quality time with the kids anyhow.

You peeps keep it real!

Isn't Revis entering a contract year next year as well?

Having a competent front office is almost as valuable as a franchise Qb these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    The holmes contract was Tanny's biggest mistake of his tenure!?!?! Not a big deal? Maybe overpaid? We needed to sign him?

We had 2 big WR up for free agency. We needed to split the money 6 for holmes, 4 for BE, or 5 and 5.

Braylon stays, Holmes walks, and the Jets save 6 mill+ in cap space, and don't have a locker room cancer stuck on our team for the next 5 years.

If you line up all of Tanny's mistakes signing Holmes to 50mil is BY FAR his biggest mistake. We let a more talented receiver leave, and saddled mark, our offense, our OC with the over rated bumb that is Holmes.
    No where near his biggest mistake. Look at the "great" WR class of that FA year. Out side of Vincent Jackson that FA class turned into a whole lot of nothing. He was doomed no matter what he did really. At least he tried to sign the best WR on the market by the ratings. I can't ding him for that even if Holmes didn't turn out to be what we had hoped.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    There was no need to extend him, but tanny goes ahead and does it. Can anyone give an explaination after how after he sucked down the stretch last year, its was necessary to extend him.

and do not give me the "his feelings were hurt becasue of the peyton manning" crap. That cant be the answer.
    That's part of it...

The other part is that it was a typical Tanny move. A "Mortgage the future for immediate cap relief so that it can bite me in the ass later" type of move.

Thanks guys I stand corrected I knew the figure was mentioned somewhere. Yet 17 million is a hell of a price to pay to have someone sit on the bench. An if he is starting next year there are going to be a lot of empty seats at the Met.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    Thanks guys I stand corrected I knew the figure was mentioned somewhere. Yet 17 million is a hell of a price to pay to have someone sit on the bench. An if he is starting next year there are going to be a lot of empty seats at the Met.
    Its also a heck of alot of money to put him out there and watch him fumble, and toss passes into opposing linemens hands.

Westy can work him in at Punt protection, or Gunner.

You have to remember Rex has said numerous times that Mark will be the starting QB as long as he is the head coach of the NYJ. As bad as this season may turn out Woody will NOT in a million years fire him. He loves the publicity Rex gives him, Tannenbaum will be fired before Rex. Mark will not be benched at any point this year and be prepared to have him starting game 1 next year. We have been cursed with "the Sanchize" and will be stuck with him for as long as Rex is here.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Here lies the problem. The Jets are financially vested in Sanchez for another season. Getting rid of him prior to 2014 is pretty much impossible, as I dont think the Jets would take that kind of financial hit. Finding a trading partner that would take on his salary is virtually impossible as well.

So what are the Jets options? Tebow or McElroy? We know the owner is going to go for the move that keeps the Jets relevant in the media and with hopes to fill seats. Seeing that Sanchez is still going to be on this team next year, I think it will be hard for Rex to move on. Rex hasnt really shown that he moves on from players that are not performing up to standards.
    I disagree with that last sentence. Rex moved on from Sherry Rhodes, so why wouldn't he move on from Sanchez? Is it because Sanchez was drafted when he was HC?

I sense you don't have the answer to that. Probably no one does.

All I can argue is what I see. What I see is a QB that is killing the teams chances to win games. Is it all his fault? Of course not, No. But for a while Sanchez was surrounded with great weapons that guarded him from being exposed for what he is. Now that all of those weapons are gone, and the Jets have needed their young QB to start to pull his weight, he's running and hiding.

What's even worse is now in press conferences he's saying things like, "The whole offense needs to get better." Well, WHERE is the blame that he gives himself? It's classic passing the buck.

So once again, benching Sanchez would truly be addition by subtraction at this point. And if Woody truly is as you say, worried about the Jets staying relevant in the media, he would want Sanchez benched. Because all every Jet fan does these days is b*tch about Sanchez. If the Jets could somehow get a shot of adrenaline from a new QB, it would get the fans talking more optimistically and would get them excited about watching the Jets play.

I know this opinion is in the minority, however I am not willing to just part with Sanchez, yet. He deserves the opportunity to continue his career as a Jet, and has demonstrated that he can get the job done. While everyone is praising Matty Ice all season, he certainly doesn't show up when it counts -- playoffs.

Surround Mark with some weapons on offense. Furthermore, since Rex clearly is not interested in managing the offense, bring in some competent offensive coaches from teams like New Orleans to help develop Mark. Sorry, nothing against Sparano but I have zero confidence in his abilities as an offensive guru.

No need to reinvent the wheel. Many of these issues can be resolved by a different approach. Ditch the ground and pound philosophy and let's begin drafting some playmakers that can stretch the field on offense. Starting with this draft, focus in on the offense. A big time wide receiver to add to Holmes, Kerly and Keller will do wonders for this offense. Add a running back in free agency (Rice or MDJ) and solidify the offensive line and the Jets are just fine. IMO, the only thing on defense that needs to be addressed is LB position.