Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New QB

I put this together but didn't want to post it. It is a pretty good break down of our QB options next year. Personally I say draft Barkley, Brey, or Manuel but I am more then scared we end up with Romo.

OK I think it is obvious at this point Sanchez is not a pro QB and no one really believes in Tebow or he'd be starting by now. So I think we should take a good look at our options for next year.

FA Class Flacco will be tagged and out side of that it is pretty much the same guys we passed on this year. Jason Campbell, Bruce Gradkowski, and an aged Rex Grossman. (Honestly I don't see an answer here.)

Possible trades Cutler - All may be OK in Chicago right now but the Pack and Minni are on their back. That said if they blow the POs Cutler and Lovie are likely on the way out. He has one year left and and would not be hard for Chi to move by the cap. Cutlers career in Chi has not been tenuous at best with injury and attitude issues. (I'd pass not the attitude we need right now)

Tomo Romo - I keep saying this will be his last year in Dallas and no one believes me. Romo has has a good team for 7 years now and not a PO win to show for it. He will be turning 33 and will be on the last year of his deal. Honestly if I where him I wouldn't play without a new deal so it is sign or trade time here IMO. That said Jones will likely trade him as fast as he can and get what he can. (I'd pass here as well but this seems on par with what the franchise has done over the years.)

The Draft I love this years class and right now a 1st rounder sounds good to me. We likely do not get a top pick but there is a very deep class here.

1 Geno Smith - Right now is ranked #1 on CBS. Plays mostly out of the shot gun, has average deep throw accuracy, and will not be a running QB in the pros. Sounds a lot like the next 2 guys I will name but more of a project to me. Plays out of WV so I'm not sure what the Big East has really thrown his way. I'd be weary of him but his mid range accuracy, ability to throw on the run, and game management is stellar. Well worth a 1st rounder. (If he is there without trading up I'd do it.)

2 Matt Barkley - Yeah I know anther USC guy. Barkley is the real deal and the best QB USC has ever had IMO. Much like Geno will not be a mobile QB and has questionable arm strength but can throw a good deep ball when needed. What I like about him is he does break down Ds well and is a really good game manager. He is pretty much pro ready working with pro caliber WRs and faces more pro caliber Ds. Also unlike his Coach and RB he has never quit on his team which is the kind of guy we need. Unlike Geno I don't see any risk here at all. (That said I doubt he makes it down to us. Would be a no brainer though IMO)

3 Tyler Wilson - This may be the one to be there for us. Very comparable to Barkley and Geno as far as measurable. The one thing that he has that the other 2 do not is he is a touch more physical guy. His accuracy and mechanics are more questionable however. He isn't as good of a game manager and doesn't have as many games under his belt. Reminds me a lot of Sanchez really but is not afraid to go far that extra yard of force the ball deep. If his mentality is right is worth a 1st. (I never had an issue with Sanchez's ability maybe we can get it right a 2nd time around? This just wouldn't surprise me we are talking the same guys that wanted Sanchez.)

4 Tyler Bray - I am not sure if he declares but is ranked 4th on CBS. Brey seems more like a gun slinger to me then the others. 6'5 with some room to grow yet. Perfect fit for teams that run a big play O. (Not my cup of tea but would be a fan favorite quick IMO)

5 EJ Manuel - Right now this kid is playing mind blowing good. Excellent speed for a QB and is 6'4 and 240 lbs. As an FS fan I am not real bias here but he has the highest up side of the group IMO. Very accurate and doesn't go taking off unless he needs too. Rare physical talent like Newton was. (Will be a hard pass for any team looking at QBs. Not sure I could at this point)

6 Logan Thomas - If he declare yeah him and Manuel will both be getting the Cam Newton treatment. 6'6 260lbs with pretty good speed. A big arm but also a big project. He is not Manuel accurate that is for sure. (I'd pass. yeah an ultra high upside but a huge project here and I'm not sure we have the people for it or can get them.)

7 Aaron Murray - At 6'1 (likely less) will be the short one in the group. He will not likely declare as he'd be eaten up in this group IMO. Does a lot very well but he can't change his height. (I'd pass and I usually like the short guys.)

8 Landry Jones - Ideal size and very good ability. To see a guy of Jones skill at 8 says all you need to know about this class. If he declared last year he'd have likely been a Dolphin or an Eagle right now.(If he is still there in the late 2nd and we haven't taken a QB YES)

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GREEN VEHICLE View Post
    Who does everyone hope replaces Sanchez after this year?

I hope we move up in the draft if need be to get Geno Smith
    Please...... NO to Geno.

Shaun Hill is one of the best backup quarterbacks in the game, lets trade for him. He is a upgrade to what we have and lets draft a QB.

We can sign pretty much any number of NFL backups and get a huge upgrade at QB. If we had Matt Moore at QB we'd be 5-3 right now. We just need a guy that can function and make the gimme throws.

Quote Originally Posted by ubrnostrum View Post
    Sanchez will probably be the QB next season.
    No way Sanchez comes back as the starter! Give me Rivers, a stud RB/WR and let Sanchez be the back up or water boy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Agreed but I don't think he warrants a high first or really a first at all. Unless his game picks up over the second half of the season. He is a TON of raw upside at this point. Would like to mold it for a year and build up the talent base on offense so that he has the best shot to succeed.

Offseason Plan

Fire Mr. T --> Hire Ravens or Giants assistant GM --> Allow him to assess Rex, he makes the call on keeping him or not --> Sporano is cleared out for Norv Turner who is probably done in SD --> Draft Wilson
    Marty Schotenhimer, director of football operations
    Eric DeCosta- GM
    Mike Zimmer- HC
    Draft Mike Glennon in the 3rd.

If this is the case then we must, MUST get a decent QB guru to work with him. Looking at Mark's mechanics alone makes me wonder why the hell Cavanaugh has a job still.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I put this together but didn't want to post it. It is a pretty good break down of our QB options next year. Personally I say draft Barkley, Brey, or Manuel but I am more then scared we end up with Romo.

OK I think it is obvious at this point Sanchez is not a pro QB and no one really believes in Tebow or he'd be starting by now. So I think we should take a good look at our options for next year.

FA Class Flacco will be tagged and out side of that it is pretty much the same guys we passed on this year. Jason Campbell, Bruce Gradkowski, and an aged Rex Grossman. (Honestly I don't see an answer here.)

Possible trades Cutler - All may be OK in Chicago right now but the Pack and Minni are on their back. That said if they blow the POs Cutler and Lovie are likely on the way out. He has one year left and and would not be hard for Chi to move by the cap. Cutlers career in Chi has not been tenuous at best with injury and attitude issues. (I'd pass not the attitude we need right now)

Tomo Romo - I keep saying this will be his last year in Dallas and no one believes me. Romo has has a good team for 7 years now and not a PO win to show for it. He will be turning 33 and will be on the last year of his deal. Honestly if I where him I wouldn't play without a new deal so it is sign or trade time here IMO. That said Jones will likely trade him as fast as he can and get what he can. (I'd pass here as well but this seems on par with what the franchise has done over the years.)

The Draft I love this years class and right now a 1st rounder sounds good to me. We likely do not get a top pick but there is a very deep class here.

1 Geno Smith - Right now is ranked #1 on CBS. Plays mostly out of the shot gun, has average deep throw accuracy, and will not be a running QB in the pros. Sounds a lot like the next 2 guys I will name but more of a project to me. Plays out of WV so I'm not sure what the Big East has really thrown his way. I'd be weary of him but his mid range accuracy, ability to throw on the run, and game management is stellar. Well worth a 1st rounder. (If he is there without trading up I'd do it.)

2 Matt Barkley - Yeah I know anther USC guy. Barkley is the real deal and the best QB USC has ever had IMO. Much like Geno will not be a mobile QB and has questionable arm strength but can throw a good deep ball when needed. What I like about him is he does break down Ds well and is a really good game manager. He is pretty much pro ready working with pro caliber WRs and faces more pro caliber Ds. Also unlike his Coach and RB he has never quit on his team which is the kind of guy we need. Unlike Geno I don't see any risk here at all. (That said I doubt he makes it down to us. Would be a no brainer though IMO)

3 Tyler Wilson - This may be the one to be there for us. Very comparable to Barkley and Geno as far as measurable. The one thing that he has that the other 2 do not is he is a touch more physical guy. His accuracy and mechanics are more questionable however. He isn't as good of a game manager and doesn't have as many games under his belt. Reminds me a lot of Sanchez really but is not afraid to go far that extra yard of force the ball deep. If his mentality is right is worth a 1st. (I never had an issue with Sanchez's ability maybe we can get it right a 2nd time around? This just wouldn't surprise me we are talking the same guys that wanted Sanchez.)

4 Tyler Bray - I am not sure if he declares but is ranked 4th on CBS. Brey seems more like a gun slinger to me then the others. 6'5 with some room to grow yet. Perfect fit for teams that run a big play O. (Not my cup of tea but would be a fan favorite quick IMO)

5 EJ Manuel - Right now this kid is playing mind blowing good. Excellent speed for a QB and is 6'4 and 240 lbs. As an FS fan I am not real bias here but he has the highest up side of the group IMO. Very accurate and doesn't go taking off unless he needs too. Rare physical talent like Newton was. (Will be a hard pass for any team looking at QBs. Not sure I could at this point)

6 Logan Thomas - If he declare yeah him and Manuel will both be getting the Cam Newton treatment. 6'6 260lbs with pretty good speed. A big arm but also a big project. He is not Manuel accurate that is for sure. (I'd pass. yeah an ultra high upside but a huge project here and I'm not sure we have the people for it or can get them.)

7 Aaron Murray - At 6'1 (likely less) will be the short one in the group. He will not likely declare as he'd be eaten up in this group IMO. Does a lot very well but he can't change his height. (I'd pass and I usually like the short guys.)

8 Landry Jones - Ideal size and very good ability. To see a guy of Jones skill at 8 says all you need to know about this class. If he declared last year he'd have likely been a Dolphin or an Eagle right now.(If he is still there in the late 2nd and we haven't taken a QB YES)
    I like Bray and Jones and i have a woody for Sean Renfree even thou CBTNY tells me he can't drave the ball down field.

Bray is your prototypical pocket downfield passer. He reads defenses well and is above average accurate.

Jones has a quick release, reads defenses well and is very accurate. He tends to throw the ball as his back leg is hitting making it look like he's always throwing off balance. A pocket passer who is not a slug.

Renfree is basically Chad Pennington. The kid is supremely confident in his reads, has a quick release but throws with little to no effort displaying a weak arm. Somehow, the ball always gets to where it needs to go thou. Renfree is the reason Duke is bowl eligible for the 1st time since some kid name Tim Couch made them so. By the way he got clobbered by FSU on Saturday.

Mike Glennon is an interesting Player also.Rough around the edges but alot of talent .

Manuel at QB? I can't believe anyone would watch FSU and think that he is an accurate passer.

Tebow lmao

We don't need a QB, we have Eli.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Marty Schotenhimer, director of football operations
    Eric DeCosta- GM
    Mike Zimmer- HC = Tell me more
    Draft Mike Glennon in the 3rd.
    This Patsie is onto something.
    Last edited by Tinstar; 10-29-2012 at 01:30 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Manuel at QB? I can't believe anyone would watch FSU and think that he is an accurate passer.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Has a 70.0% and is averaging over 10 YPP and only 4 INTs. Yeah not used a lot but still those are Sam Bradford #s.

Jets Insider VIP
    Mike Zimmer- HC
    No. Not another defensive hc. Rex, Mangini, Herm, Groh, Parcells etc.

Time for an offensive HC. Dont even interview a defensive guy.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Please...... NO to Geno.
    +1

Something about Geno is scaring me off. He could end up being a legit QB, but he's slowed down big-time since the Texas game and his performance drops off when he's not dinking and dunking. We've been down that road before.

Let's all be honest, Sanchez will be the starter in 2013. It's just too expensive to get rid of him

Yeah. Unless he turns into Jake Delhomme, he's playing just well enough to make eating his contract a mistake.

All League
    I still like Matt Flynn...granted the Pats secondary blows but the guy threw 5 TD passes against them in one game and was productive in other games. Jets could probably get him for a low draft pick considering he has been relegated to back up...

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    I still like Matt Flynn...granted the Pats secondary blows but the guy threw 5 TD passes against them in one game and was productive in other games. Jets could probably get him for a low draft pick considering he has been relegated to back up...
    Why would Carroll trade him? It's not like Wilson has been tearing up the league. The mistake the Jets made was not signing Orton or Campbell