Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New QB

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

New QB

Who does everyone hope replaces Sanchez after this year?

I hope we move up in the draft if need be to get Geno Smith

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tyler Wilson

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't believe in Geno at all. T. Wilson?
    Last edited by Dunnie; 10-29-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    See what we have in McElroy.

Then evaluate where we stand in terms of draft position.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a horrible year to be drafting a QB in my honest opinion. I think Barkley is a worse version of Sanchez. Geno is starting to get exposed. Tyler Wilson is really not that good. I'd prefer to get a dynamic pass rusher in round 1, and a solid WR/RB in round 2.

I also don't think Rex/Tanny can personally afford to go through the growing pains of a young QB in 2013. Their jobs are at stake. My guess is they make a play for a guy like Romo or Rivers.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't get everyone's obsession with Geno Smith. He's been playing real bad the past few weeks, and is only putting up big numbers in a league known for not playing defense.

Tyler Wilson is a diva, not the kind of player needed in NYC.

There aren't any QBs worth a top 10 draft pick this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if the Jets can replace him this off season due to cap reasons.

I would not make drafting a QB in the 1st round a high priority in the next year or so unless a good one fell to us and we did not have to trade up. I would look for a decent player already in the league that is more affordable.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    I don't believe in Geno at all.
    yeah, not sure about him either. He's no RG III that's for sure. Hopefully McElroy will at least get a shot if the team continues to flounder. Then draft a mid-rounder with potential and sign a legit QB who can take over for suckchez. Someone along the likes of Garrard, orton, campbell. That could at least manage a game and complete screen passes and passes under 10yds with some semblance of accuracy and consistency.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets should use 1 of their 7 picks on a qb every single year until they find the right guy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unless the Jets can get someone to take the contract of Mark Sanchez off their hands(LOL) he's going nowhere until after the 2013 season. With that being said, I would consider drafting Tyler Bray and having him sit for a yr if needed to learn the offense that should be installed by the new HC after this season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Unless the Jets can get someone to take the contract of Mark Sanchez off their hands(LOL) he's going nowhere until after the 2013 season. With that being said, I would consider drafting Tyler Bray and having him sit for a yr if needed to learn the offense that should be installed by the new HC after this season.
    Not a bad idea.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't mind if we don't draft a QB in the 1st round as long as we pick up a good vet QB and trade Sanchez or leave him on the bench!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Tyler Wilson
    Agreed but I don't think he warrants a high first or really a first at all. Unless his game picks up over the second half of the season. He is a TON of raw upside at this point. Would like to mold it for a year and build up the talent base on offense so that he has the best shot to succeed.

Offseason Plan

Fire Mr. T --> Hire Ravens or Giants assistant GM --> Allow him to assess Rex, he makes the call on keeping him or not --> Sporano is cleared out for Norv Turner who is probably done in SD --> Draft Wilson

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Agreed but I don't think he warrants a high first or really a first at all. Unless his game picks up over the second half of the season. He is a TON of raw upside at this point. Would like to mold it for a year and build up the talent base on offense so that he has the best shot to succeed.

Offseason Plan

Fire Mr. T --> Hire Ravens or Giants assistant GM --> Allow him to assess Rex, he makes the call on keeping him or not --> Sporano is cleared out for Norv Turner who is probably done in SD --> Draft Wilson
    Best so far ....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    NY needs a tough sob for a QB. Phillip Rivers would be great for the Jets.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes! So the new QB can fail with those sorry excuses for skill position players and a retread at RT.............

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    I don't get everyone's obsession with Geno Smith. He's been playing real bad the past few weeks, and is only putting up big numbers in a league known for not playing defense.

Tyler Wilson is a diva, not the kind of player needed in NYC.

There aren't any QBs worth a top 10 draft pick this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I don't know if the Jets can replace him this off season due to cap reasons.

I would not make drafting a QB in the 1st round a high priority in the next year or so unless a good one fell to us and we did not have to trade up. I would look for a decent player already in the league that is more affordable.
    +1 to both.

I want nothing to do with a 1st-round QB this year. Jets missed the boat by a year - if they had a shot at RG3 or Luck I'd say go for it, but there are glaring concerns with the top prospects this year. If a Landry Jones type falls to the 3rd round or later then maybe, but no first round picks at QB this year.

With Revis and Holmes coming back, this team can win some ball games with average QB play. Get the best FA QB available and address the other holes on the team this year - maybe the right college QB comes along in 2014.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd vote for Matt Barkley. It wasn't a mistake drafting Mark Sanchez out of USC. He was anticipated to be a can't miss prospect so you really can't blame the Jets for trying it. USC has a great program that seems to breed good QB's. I would be all for taking Barkley.

But I also believe the Jets should hedge their bets. Take an established veteran and put him in direct competition with Barkley. Make Barkley sit for as long as it takes until he is undeniably ready to take over the reigns.

Regardless of who is the QB, the FO must start to add talent on the offensive side of the ball. Draft a RT that can start right away. Add a blocking TE. Establish a running game by cutting Shonn Greene and adding someone through the draft/FA.

In other words, the Jets should do exactly what they did for Mark Sanchez initially. Put a lot of weapons around the new QB and give him some things to lean on. Eventually, the reigns will need to come off and the QB will need to stand on his own. But having a lot of weapons to lean on in the early going I believe is very important to a young QB's development.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez will probably be the QB next season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    This is a horrible year to be drafting a QB in my honest opinion. I think Barkley is a worse version of Sanchez. Geno is starting to get exposed. Tyler Wilson is really not that good. I'd prefer to get a dynamic pass rusher in round 1, and a solid WR/RB in round 2.

I also don't think Rex/Tanny can personally afford to go through the growing pains of a young QB in 2013. Their jobs are at stake. My guess is they make a play for a guy like Romo or Rivers.
    +1

Sure up the defense in the first round. Get the pads rusher we have been missing for the past decade, and try to get a QB and RB in free agency.