Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New QB

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by boxman View Post
    See what we have in McElroy.

Then evaluate where we stand in terms of draft position.
    It must be a pandemic among Jets fans on this site that think that McElroy has any ability to play QB at this level. If we want a top 5 pick start McElroy, we'll win 1 of the next 8. Also if we start tebow we'll win 1 of the next 8.

If rex is still the coach next year we're gonna sign some scrub backup jag like Orton/Flynn.

If its a new coach we may draft one, hopefully anyone but Geno.

those skill positions, wr, te, rb, aren't doing so badly. kerley is doing well as are hill and keller. greene is doing better. it all starts with the line play which has been improving. sanchez has a habit of not making good decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Yes! So the new QB can fail with those sorry excuses for skill position players and a retread at RT.............

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    those skill positions, wr, te, rb, aren't doing so badly. kerley is doing well as are hill and keller. greene is doing better. it all starts with the line play which has been improving. sanchez has a habit of not making good decisions.
    Sanchez has a bad habit of not making the simple play, and that is the biggest problem on this team. If he could complete at least half of those 3rd and shorts, this team would have 2 more wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    It must be a pandemic among Jets fans on this site that think that McElroy has any ability to play QB at this level. If we want a top 5 pick start McElroy, we'll win 1 of the next 8. Also if we start tebow we'll win 1 of the next 8.

If rex is still the coach next year we're gonna sign some scrub backup jag like Orton/Flynn.

If its a new coach we may draft one, hopefully anyone but Geno.
    For once we agree here.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    We don't need a QB, we have Eli.
    ..and Flutie!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    If we're talking about another qb - what's Kyle Orton's contract situation? I think he'd be a nice stop gap until we pick up a legitimate qb candidate..

They should sign a descent veteran QB that becomes available and also play Mcelroy to see what he can do. Sanchez can be 3rd string clipboard holder and they should draft RB and OL with first 2 picks of next draft. Get the running game solidified next year and hopefully they will have a solid core of players. This is obviously after the whole coaching staff is overhauled. The team has talent but just can't function the way they are coached and the way Sanchez handles the offense. The Defense is good but can't stay on the field most of the game and expect to play at a high level. I say trade revis for draft picks and let him go his way and keep the core of guys here with a new coaching staff and they will compete for the division for years to come. I am so done with Ryans BS coaching job

If the jets 2nd half goes like the first Sanchez needs to start next year. Your stuck with Sanchez, and your cap situation precludes any significant improvement to the team. Lets see how he does with Holmes back and Hill with a year of experience.

Mike Glennon to me is a player that fits this situation. He needs a year to work on mechanics, not skills. NC State does not have one other player that will be drafted. If he had a rb or an oline or WRs this guy would be ranked a lot higher.
    Then bring in a young vet like Hoyer or Moore a low price guy with some upside and let him compete in 2014 TC with Glennon.

In 2014 off season if Sanchez does not show promise both him and Holmes are kicked to the curb with 20 mill of cap room to show for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    This Patsie is onto something.
    Tinstar, What I like about Zimmer is that

He served under a wide variety of HC,
    He has experience and success running both a 3-4 and a 4-3.
    He is a hard ass who will criticize the unit but not individual players publicly.
    He is doing the job without big name FA. Cinci is notorious for not spending money on scouts and have their coaches do double duty.

Namath, If Norv Turner is not looking to take a year off, he is the guy for an OC.

Marty Schotenhimer is the guy to provide direction for the franchise as director of football operations. He built Cleveland and KC to SB contenders.
    At 69 he understands being a HC is past him.

Eric DeCosta is a local MA kid that Ozzie Newsome speaks very highly of. Ozzie is only 56 and will not be stepping down soon. Being a NE kid, he understands the Media portion of the business.

Tanny can stay and be the cap guru.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Tinstar, What I like about Zimmer is that

He served under a wide variety of HC,
    He has experience and success running both a 3-4 and a 4-3.
    He is a hard ass who will criticize the unit but not individual players publicly.
    He is doing the job without big name FA. Cinci is notorious for not spending money on scouts and have their coaches do double duty.

Namath, If Norv Turner is not looking to take a year off, he is the guy for an OC.

Marty Schotenhimer is the guy to provide direction for the franchise as director of football operations. He built Cleveland and KC to SB contenders.
    At 69 he understands being a HC is past him.

Eric DeCosta is a local MA kid that Ozzie Newsome speaks very highly of. Ozzie is only 56 and will not be stepping down soon. Being a NE kid, he understands the Media portion of the business.

Tanny can stay and be the cap guru.
    Dude, i love the marty hire. I have been reading alot about DeCosta and with him and Marty i can live with it.

I am feeling the Mike Glennon at QB thing.

This Zimmer thing thou. I don't know about that. One of the reasons why i like Herm as the HC was because he was a team Manager and left the coaching to the coaches. He knew enough about football having played the game . I don't want my HC calling the offense or the defense on game day. I want that guy running the team .

I gotta say thou. I love the plan. Maybe they should hire u, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    +1 to both.

I want nothing to do with a 1st-round QB this year. Jets missed the boat by a year - if they had a shot at RG3 or Luck I'd say go for it, but there are glaring concerns with the top prospects this year. If a Landry Jones type falls to the 3rd round or later then maybe, but no first round picks at QB this year.

With Revis and Holmes coming back, this team can win some ball games with average QB play. Get the best FA QB available and address the other holes on the team this year - maybe the right college QB comes along in 2014.
    The fact is - the Jets can not afford even an average FA QB to be a starter with all the cap invested in Sanchez - with the level of Jets talents they can't have 25 million (about 1/4 of the cap) invested in 3 bad QB's

Tanny's extension of Sanchez is at best negligent at worst corrupt.

Jets are stuck with Sanchez next year, no way around it.

Talking

Dude, i love the marty hire. I have been reading alot about DeCosta and with him and Marty i can live with it.

I am feeling the Mike Glennon at QB thing.

This Zimmer thing thou. I don't know about that. One of the reasons why i like Herm as the HC was because he was a team Manager and left the coaching to the coaches. He knew enough about football having played the game . I don't want my HC calling the offense or the defense on game day. I want that guy running the team .

I gotta say thou. I love the plan. Maybe they should hire u, LOL.
    nah, being a patriot fan I would extend Sanchez and Holmes

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    nah, being a patriot fan I would extend Sanchez and Holmes
    What does that make Tanny and Rex. Tanny extended both and Rex refuses to bench one.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    +1 to both.

I want nothing to do with a 1st-round QB this year. Jets missed the boat by a year - if they had a shot at RG3 or Luck I'd say go for it, but there are glaring concerns with the top prospects this year. If a Landry Jones type falls to the 3rd round or later then maybe, but no first round picks at QB this year.

With Revis and Holmes coming back, this team can win some ball games with average QB play. Get the best FA QB available and address the other holes on the team this year - maybe the right college QB comes along in 2014.
    What team are you speaking of? This jets team will not be the same team next year. There are 20 FA on this team and 12 of them are starters. If you could guess and name more than 1/2 of the top 30 players on the 2013 roster I will be very impressed.

All Pro

I agree but we need to evaluate this year. It is clear that Sanchez is not the guy.

All Pro
    Unless the Jets can get someone to take the contract of Mark Sanchez off their hands(LOL) he's going nowhere until after the 2013 season. With that being said, I would consider drafting Tyler Bray and having him sit for a yr if needed to learn the offense that should be installed by the new HC after this season.
    So you are willing to support another year and a half of this sh!t?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I'd vote for Matt Barkley. It wasn't a mistake drafting Mark Sanchez out of USC. He was anticipated to be a can't miss prospect so you really can't blame the Jets for trying it. USC has a great program that seems to breed good QB's. I would be all for taking Barkley.

But I also believe the Jets should hedge their bets. Take an established veteran and put him in direct competition with Barkley. Make Barkley sit for as long as it takes until he is undeniably ready to take over the reigns.

Regardless of who is the QB, the FO must start to add talent on the offensive side of the ball. Draft a RT that can start right away. Add a blocking TE. Establish a running game by cutting Shonn Greene and adding someone through the draft/FA.

In other words, the Jets should do exactly what they did for Mark Sanchez initially. Put a lot of weapons around the new QB and give him some things to lean on. Eventually, the reigns will need to come off and the QB will need to stand on his own. But having a lot of weapons to lean on in the early going I believe is very important to a young QB's development.
    With the exception of a couple of years of, i forget his name, now with the Raiders, tell ne what USC QB has been anything resembling good? Zip! Until one comes out that is successful, I never want another USC QB on this team.

All League

Because late round draft picks with weak arms who manage to stick around as 3rd string QB are the key to improving QB play.

Quote Originally Posted by JetinHuntersville View Post
    So you are willing to support another year and a half of this sh!t?
    The jets need all the cap room they can get, they can not throw any of it away by accelerating Sanchez cap hit to this off season. It cost more in 2013 dollars to get him off the roster than to keep him on the roster. So unless there is an idiot out there that is willing to give the jets a 2nsd for him, he competes for the 2013 job.

That is why I like Glennon, he needs a year of pro coaching, and the jets are stuck with Sanchez for a year anyway. Plus if Sanchez turns it around ( if it is good enough for Lazurus) you only invested a 3rd in a cheap back-up, while allowing the jets to fill needs with both the 1st and 2nd pick..

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I'd vote for Matt Barkley. It wasn't a mistake drafting Mark Sanchez out of USC. He was anticipated to be a can't miss prospect so you really can't blame the Jets for trying it. USC has a great program that seems to breed good QB's. I would be all for taking Barkley.
    But I also believe the Jets should hedge their bets. Take an established veteran and put him in direct competition with Barkley. Make Barkley sit for as long as it takes until he is undeniably ready to take over the reigns.

Regardless of who is the QB, the FO must start to add talent on the offensive side of the ball. Draft a RT that can start right away. Add a blocking TE. Establish a running game by cutting Shonn Greene and adding someone through the draft/FA.

In other words, the Jets should do exactly what they did for Mark Sanchez initially. Put a lot of weapons around the new QB and give him some things to lean on. Eventually, the reigns will need to come off and the QB will need to stand on his own. But having a lot of weapons to lean on in the early going I believe is very important to a young QB's development.

Who was the last USC QB to be a huge success in the NFL? Cassell? Leinart? Palmer was OK for a few years, but not a huge success. If you were to look for the Top USC QB in the NFL in the past 25 years, Rodney Peete and Rob Johnson would be in the conversation.

Notre Dame, Florida, Alabama, etc. Lots of failed draft picks.

Moral to story: draft talented QB's with brains and heart. If they went to a big school, great.