Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At What point do I stop Watching?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HBJETFANBOB View Post
    Never, come down to The OC and enjoy a game with the OC jet fan group at The Tap house, in HB
    Its hard for me to watch a game at a bar. Im so into the friggin game I have to watch every play and breakdown the game as it goes along. When I have gone to Jet games in the past at bars i always feel that Im not really paying attention to the game.

That being said, when we are 4-7 in a few weeks, I will take you up on it!!!
    Last edited by LA Jet Fan; 10-29-2012 at 06:47 PM. Reason: spelling

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am feeling similar and am finding myself less interested and willing to turn them off as well. For me, I could take when the JETS were incompetent under Leon Hess. Leon Hess and JETS management was dreadful and just in way over their heads. There was hope that the right guy would be hired at some point. At the very least they wanted to win but just didnt.

Woody Johnson's JETS are much different. My feeling is that Woody has a much different agenda than just winning. Add, what becoming more and more common with lies on top of lies in regards to matters that relate to the players, charges on top of charges for season ticket holders, the Tebow trade, Woody unbridled love for everything Tebow, concern for the back pages, John Cena, Hard Knocks and trash talking. Its like we are more part of the WWF than the NFL. Its sickening and when Rex or Woody speak they are becoming un-listenable and not believable

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    I am feeling similar and am finding myself less interested and willing to turn them off as well. For me, I could take when the JETS were incompetent under Leon Hess. Leon Hess and JETS management was dreadful and just in way over their heads. There was hope that the right guy would be hired at some point. At the very least they wanted to win but just didnt.

Woody Johnson's JETS are much different. My feeling is that Woody has a much different agenda than just winning. Add, what becoming more and more common with lies on top of lies in regards to matters that relate to the players, charges on top of charges for season ticket holders, the Tebow trade, Woody unbridled love for everything Tebow, concern for the back pages, John Cena, Hard Knocks and trash talking. Its like we are more part of the WWF than the NFL. Its sickening and when Rex or Woody speak they are becoming un-listenable and not believable
    My feelings exactly.

I'm starting to feel the only way to get the team running properly is for Woody to sell the team. Unfortunately, I can't imagine any imminent scenario in which he does so.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by InsideBlitz View Post
    Set them at 4-12 and every season is a success.
    I can't do that because before each season I like to believe 12-4 and them not being losers and laughing stocks
    Other teams do it every season and anything less is failure
    So I set my expectations high
    It is hard to change after 52 years
    And the answer to the op is keep on watching, it is never time to stop
    I root for the rangers, mets Knicks and jets and in all that time 5 championships between them. But I keep on watching

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rangers1 View Post
    I can't do that because before each season I like to believe 12-4 and them not being losers and laughing stocks
    Other teams do it every season and anything less is failure
    So I set my expectations high
    It is hard to change after 52 years
    And the answer to the op is keep on watching, it is never time to stop
    I root for the rangers, mets Knicks and jets and in all that time 5 championships between them. But I keep on watching

I root for the same teams for 40 plus years. I know I am cursed and live and die with these teams. I feel the same as you do, I wish they were winners and the pain of wait till next year is just getting real old, like me !

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we lose after the bye im done watching until the draft

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

As Jim V said

Never, ever give up.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandBlitz View Post
    If we lose after the bye im done watching until the draft
    You should get started from now.

Jets aren't going up there in Seattle and winning in that ridiculous building of theirs.

And it would also be the ultimate kick in the balls if Braylon had 2-3 TDs in that game against us.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Been a fan 30+ years... living in San Francisco Bay Area, my wife is from here and has become a Jets fan - she is appalled at this team. This is as bad as it's been for a while - I could at least understand 2005 with all of the injuries. 2007 was kinda bad too... the gulf between Rex's opinion of this team and what they actually are is like watching a slow moving train wreck... Rex really needs to say his team is NOT good, they need to PLAY THEIR HARDEST if they plan on winning any more games this year, and take it ONE GAME AT A TIME.

We are trying to have a kid - I have already promised her I will let go of this nonsense and raise this kid a 49ers fan. This Jets plaque was handed down to me... LA I get how you feel I'm like an addict - and with my kid I will need to break the cycle. I feel like I need to not watch Jets football for a few years and become divested emotionally from the Jets so I wont care. After ten years of the Ticket on Direct TV, I need to NOT ORDER next year. Woody is the ultimate silver spoon owner - I don't believe he can point to a single success that is his own (unless spending his inheritance on a football team counts). Spineless... at least Hess was a legitimate businessman!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PavlovsDogs View Post
    Been a fan 30+ years... living in San Francisco Bay Area, my wife is from here and has become a Jets fan - she is appalled at this team. This is as bad as it's been for a while - I could at least understand 2005 with all of the injuries. 2007 was kinda bad too... the gulf between Rex's opinion of this team and what they actually are is like watching a slow moving train wreck... Rex really needs to say his team is NOT good, they need to PLAY THEIR HARDEST if they plan on winning any more games this year, and take it ONE GAME AT A TIME.

We are trying to have a kid - I have already promised her I will let go of this nonsense and raise this kid a 49ers fan. This Jets plaque was handed down to me... LA I get how you feel I'm like an addict - and with my kid I will need to break the cycle. I feel like I need to not watch Jets football for a few years and become divested emotionally from the Jets so I wont care. After ten years of the Ticket on Direct TV, I need to NOT ORDER next year. Woody is the ultimate silver spoon owner - I don't believe he can point to a single success that is his own (unless spending his inheritance on a football team counts). Spineless... at least Hess was a legitimate businessman!
    WOW!!! Having your child grow up with another team and breaking the curse.

That child of yours doesnt have a clue how lucky they will be !! Im jealous!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You reach a point where you are sure of what the teams need to do. If they don't, it makes the team pretty much unwatchable. You're still interested and hopeful but you do not pay attention to games as intently if you know the team has no shot.

This is the way I am beginning to get. I know, in my heart of hearts, that Sanchez MUST be replaced. There's just no other way.

So now that we know Ryan has issues with being stubborn and basically refuses to bench Sanchez?

Well, I am at the point now that I watch and EXPECT it all to fall apart. I can never get excited about the teams chances to win games veen when they have the lead late in the game. Example, against the Patsies, when we recovered the fumble inside the 20 late in the game with the game tied? I had NO doubt in my mind whatsoever that the Jets were still going to lose. I immediately said to myself, "Sanchez will do something stupid here and either allow the Patsies to win in regulation or OT". So when Sanchez took a sack and made that FG a longer distance and left plenty of time on the clock for the Patsies to come back, I wasn't surprised in the least little bit.

It's a very cynical existence as a Jets fan right now.

I just hope for some change soon so I can have some optimism about the team's future.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I never stop watching, but once they're eliminated or at least eliminated in your mind, it's much easier. If they had just laid down against Indianapolis after the SF-HOU debacles, life would have been much easier during the NE/MIA loses. At 2-6, I'd say who the hell cares. At 3-5, there is still a glimmer of hope, therefore I'll be livid when they lose the game in Seattle I already expect them to lose because they'll be winning at some point late, only to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, fall to 3-6, and then at that point they'll be eliminated in my mind, starring at 4-7 or 3-8 entering December, needing to win out to have a chance at a tiebreak. Not happening.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Jet Fan View Post
    I have been a Jet Fan for 45 years. I have watched every game they have played unless there was an emergency in the Family.

Have traveled for years to different Stadiums and seen numerous games on the road.

In our worst years I still watched every second of every game! Why? I sometimes ask myself that question, but I am a Jets fan All day long!!
    I never waiver and take alot of s*it because of it! Still I dont care, I love rooting my team on and being that Fanatical Jet fan.

In recent years we have had success. I am grateful for the years we had and how Sunday was an amazing day for the family as we rooted for our beloved Jets all thru the year and into the playoffs for that chance at the SuperBowl.

I am now facing a dilema that I havent faced in awhile. being out of the race for the playoffs before Thanksgiving! Maybe Im getting older but I just cant keep watching all these games when we have nothing on the line anymore!

So I ask you, when do you stop watching?
    In the second year of the Kotite Katastrophe, I stopped watching after week 3, and actually hoped the Jets would lose so many games that Hess would hire a football guy to run the team and undo the damage Hess caused when he usurped the authority of a sick and dying Dick Steinberg. It's is one of the few occasions involving the Jets where my hopes and reality actually intersected.

Oddly, Woody currently finds himself in the same predicament which caused Hess to be the worst owner in the NFL i.e. relying on non-football guys to run football operations. IMO, Tanny, is the Jets GM because he found the loophole allowing the Jets to insert the poison pill in the RFA offer to Curtis Martin. He rode that claim to fame to being named GM after Bradway decided he did not like being GM. Tanny is not a football guy. He is a contract guy, who wants to be a football guy. I am hopeful that Woody realizes this. After all, since Woody would have moved heaven and earth to get Parcells to stay to run the team, I can not imagine that Woody will allow the opportunity to hire Bill Polian as GM to pass, especially when Tanny is on the hot seat anyway.

Perhaps, my hopes and reality will intersect once again, and for the fourth time in my life a football guy will be running football operations for the Jets (Dick Steinberg, Bill Parcells, and Terry Bradway were the other three).

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Treat every game as a draft pick upgrade opportunity. 3-13 does the team a hell of a lot more good than 7-9.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Jet Fan View Post
    I have been a Jet Fan for 45 years. I have watched every game they have played unless there was an emergency in the Family.

Have traveled for years to different Stadiums and seen numerous games on the road.

In our worst years I still watched every second of every game! Why? I sometimes ask myself that question, but I am a Jets fan All day long!!
    I never waiver and take alot of s*it because of it! Still I dont care, I love rooting my team on and being that Fanatical Jet fan.

In recent years we have had success. I am grateful for the years we had and how Sunday was an amazing day for the family as we rooted for our beloved Jets all thru the year and into the playoffs for that chance at the SuperBowl.

I am now facing a dilema that I havent faced in awhile. being out of the race for the playoffs before Thanksgiving! Maybe Im getting older but I just cant keep watching all these games when we have nothing on the line anymore!

So I ask you, when do you stop watching?
    You never stop watching. It is what we fans do. in a couple of games if their playof prospects don't improve, you watch to see how the kids play. then in December you watch to see them play good but lose so you get better draft position and something to look forward to for next year.

Games actually get a little more fun as the outcome does not mean as much, and you can laugh at bad play instead of throwing something.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    You never stop watching. It is what we fans do. in a couple of games if their playof prospects don't improve, you watch to see how the kids play. then in December you watch to see them play good but lose so you get better draft position and something to look forward to for next year.

Games actually get a little more fun as the outcome does not mean as much, and you can laugh at bad play instead of throwing something.

I lol'd all through the Mia game. It was like watching absurdist comedy done to perfection.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post

THIS.

The Brooks Bollinger Era was one of the best seasons as a Jets fan that I can remember. Guy had fire, tried his ass off, knew he was giving it his all and won or made some games we weren't expected to be in close.

Boy is that saying something.