Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salguero has been waiting to pen this article for 5 plus years

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Salguero has been waiting to pen this article for 5 plus years

God, I hope the Dolphins get smoked by the Pats this year.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/10/2...-dolphins.html

Emphatic win shows Miami Dolphins have flown past New York Jets

BY ARMANDO SALGUERO

ASALGUERO@MIAMIHERALD.COM

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- There were still four minutes to play Sunday when Richie Incognito turned to the New York Jets bench and mockingly waved good-bye to the players on the other sideline. The guard was simply dismissing the Jets for the afternoon because this game was long over and the Dolphins had already done all their damage.

But that wave was much more transcendent than that.

That wave marked the Dolphins passing the Jets this year.

That wave spoke to how one team is obviously and steadily improving while the other team has not only paused but seems to be in full-tilt retreat.

The proof? Dolphins 30. Jets 9.

“We have high expectations for ourselves,” receiver Brian Hartline said. “We’re humble but we’re also hungry. We really looked forward to playing this game and hoping to take a step forward and this game obviously helps us take that step forward.

“We’re not the same team we were in Week Three. But feeling that way and proving it to ourselves and other people is a lot different. So we needed to take that step and it’s a step we took.”

Hartline calls it only a step but the Dolphins seem light years removed from the team that lost to these Jets on Sept. 23 at Sun Life Stadium.

That team had trouble closing games. That team was betrayed by special teams when kicker Dan Carpenter missed a potential game-winning field goal. That team couldn’t even protect its home field.

This team?

The Dolphins have won three games in a row now and they’ve made a point of closing strong. On Sunday Miami took a 20-0 halftime lead — and then outscored the Jets 10-9 in the second half as well.

These Dolphins got their first touchdown from their special teams when Jimmy Wilson blocked a punt, Olivier Vernon recovered in the end zone, and somewhere on the Jets sideline, Mike Westhoff’s heart dropped in disgust.

These Dolphins have now won two key road games against AFC opponents the past month. And this was the first road victory against an AFC East opponent since Joe Philbin became coach.

“We’ve grown a little bit up as a team,” tight end Anthony Fasano said. “We’re not shooting ourselves in the foot as much and we’ve figured out how to finish games and win games. We’ve got a long way to go, but we’ve made some progress.”

Progress today is marked by the fact the Dolphins are second in the AFC East. And they clearly are better than the Jets.

The Jets are playing worse now than earlier in the year and, indeed, laid an egg this day after actually playing well during an overtime loss to the Patriots the week before. That’s called regression.

The Jets also have an unsustainable quarterback situation. Mark Sanchez is playing the role of a franchise quarterback but in truth he’s performing like he needs to be benched.

Sanchez threw an interception, suffered a fumble and delivered a 65.6 quarterback rating that had Jets fans booing him as early as the first quarter. Talk about patience running thin.

The Dolphins, meanwhile, are looking pretty solid at quarterback right now.

Remember they won this game while starter Ryan Tannehill watched from the bench because he hyper-extended his left knee and suffered a deep left thigh bruise on Miami’s second possession.

Backup Matt Moore, who coach Joe Philbin estimates got 10 percent of the snaps in practice last week, went in the game and was the best quarterback for either team. He completed 11 of 19 passes, threw a touchdown, stayed away from any turnovers, and turned in a 96.6 quarterback rating.

The team rallied around Moore as surely as it rallied and came to the defense of running back Reggie Bush.

Remember, Bush was the targeted by a couple of Jets defenders who said last week they wanted to knock him out of the game. Aaron Maybin was one of those players and throughout the day Miami offensive linemen waited for Maybin to actually enter the game so they could, ahem, speak with him.

When Maybin finally got in, center Mike Pouncey, tackle Jake Long and guard Richie Incognito went after him, apparently ignoring their actual blocking assignments, and forming something of a triple team to try and pancake the linebacker.

“No, we didn’t do that” Incognito said playfully.

“As long as they didn’t blow the whistle, it’s all legal.” Pouncey said.

The offensive linemen were joking and in a playful mood in the locker room. But the Dolphins are serious about this:

“This game shows the NFL what we can do,” Pouncey said. “I think we deserve a little bit of respect now that we’ve turned things around and we’re winning games.

“We’re playing good football right now. All the players on the team have bought in to this new program. The future is bright for this football team. You don’t want to speak too much on it, but if we keep doing what we’re doing, we’re going to win a lot of football games this year.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/10/2...#storylink=cpy

Practice Squad
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    Post Thanks / Like
    - The writer seems to not understand that this is the NFL. Divisional opponents always beat each other. The Jets and Dolphins have been splitting the series for quite a few years now. Miami did not pass the Jets... it's just the same old, same old of the two divisional foes beating each other. Jets still have more talent than the Dolphins, but...

- The Jets punked themselves out here. I'm as disgusted with their play as I am with the Dolphags gloating. Sanchez's innacuracy, the mistakes all around, the lack of fire needed to come back from a turnover-made hole... just sickening.

And as for who passes whom? Let's see how the "'Fins" do against the Pats. If the Jets had a, accurate QB and recievers that could catch, we would've won that game. The lead was build by an early barrage of turnovers and points off turnovers, but the win was sealed by our inability to score points. Brady would rip that team a new one, even if they spotted them 0-17 like we spotted them. The final score probably would've been like 35-23. We just don't have a come-from-behind QB. We have a decent close-game/hold-a-lead QB, we do not have a come-from-behind one.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The fins have started their rebuilding with a smart coaching staff and a talented rookie qb.

The Jets are about to fire a dumb head coach and offensive coordinator and a real crappy 4th year qb.

The dolphins are headed in the right direction and we are heading in the wrong direction. They have passed us.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    We'd probably have won a few more games if we had played OAK, CIN, and STL instead of PIT, HOU, and NE.

We did not show up sunday no doubt, but to say they've passed us after they've beaten some jag teams is a bit premature to say the least.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I fully believe the dolphins are the more talented team at this point. That being said, I do think it is too early to say that we've passed them. We look like we will be better this year, but we have to keep it up through next year as well.

Again it's too early for this, but I also think Philbin is a really good coach. He seems to always have the players prepared and focused. I thought he really outcoached Rex in this game. That's not to say he is a better coach than rex, just that he got the better of him in 1 game. The dolphins are getting better every week and it's really fun to watch.

I don't know if the dolphins will make the playoffs this year, but I think they'll be in the hunt which after last year, I'll take that. But the main goal is to develop our players, especially tannehill. I think we're doing a great job of that. We have alot of young guys on the team, so it's surprising how well they are playing at this point. But I've said it before, the goal of this year is to develop tannehill and see if we have a franchise qb. If we make the playoffs that's just icing on the cake. And as far as tannehill goes, I like what I've seen so far, but he still has a long ways to go.

It's just been a very encouraging season so far. It's been way too long since I've been able to have some fun during a season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    While the article screams red headed step child, I agree with most of it. Does not mean I like it, or that i don't thinks its extremely low brow.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right now whose roster, coaching staff, and front office would you prefer?

GM: Tanny or Ireland?

HC, DC, OC: Rex/Pettine/Sparano or Philbin/Sherman/Coyle?

Roster: Honestly, other than DB's, how many Jets would start on the Fins?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That game was Miami's Super Bowl.

It's been obvious for several years that their main objective each season is to beat the Jets... and that's about all they accomplish.

Wake me up when they do something more than that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

It's been obvious for several years that their main objective each season is to beat the Jets... and that's about all they accomplish.
    Your right. That was their goal. But now that they are winning games and believe they have a franchise qb, there goals have changed.

Our goals have changed too. We went from the goal of winning the super bowl to hoping our entire front office gets fired and we get a high draft pick.

The dolphins are in a much better situation then we are.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post

Wake me up when they do something more than that.
    They are better than the JETS now. Not so hard to see.

We are amongst the worst 5 to 6 teams in the NFL right now.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know why Jets fans keep saying it was our superbowl. It was a big divisional game. Nothing more, nothing less. I think Philbin has this team focused on bigger things, and thats good to see. However, if we have a letdown against the Colts, I might have to change my view.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post

You're probably right.

But let's see how these last 8 games play out before crowing Miami. They are not exactly stacked with talent there, either.

Joe W -- Their QB is not that impressive... he isn't even the one who beat the Jets. We thought we had our franchise QB too. Let's see how he does when teams see more tape on him. I really don't think that team is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    You're probably right.

But let's see how these last 8 games play out before crowing Miami. They are not exactly stacked with talent there, either.

Joe W -- Their QB is not that impressive... he isn't even the one who beat the Jets. We thought we had our franchise QB too. Let's see how he does when teams see more tape on him. I really don't think that team is not going anywhere anytime soon.
    Agree..... Im not sold BUT they appear better and the record says they are better. They should have swept us.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post

I have to agree with you. One of the guys above asked a very telling question: other then the DBs which team has better personnel. I think our center is a slight bit better then theirs. I think Killer-Keller can be better then Fasano. I also think that Kerley matchs up well with their receivers but they might edge us a bit. On defense as stated our DBs are excellent for the most part and outshine theirs. But that is it!

We suffer from a lack of talent and I did not even mention Sanchez vs Tannehill/ Moore!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Your right. That was their goal. But now that they are winning games and believe they have a franchise qb, there goals have changed.

Our goals have changed too. We went from the goal of winning the super bowl to hoping our entire front office gets fired and we get a high draft pick.

The dolphins are in a much better situation then we are.
    Franchise QB? Are you kidding me? I guess people have set the bar so low because of watching Sanchez.

How do you determine someone is a franchise QB after only 6 games, a sub 60% completion, more picks than TD's and a QB rating in the mid 70's?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont think you can determine if somebody is a franchise quarterback until they actually become it. However, people that have watched him have been impressed, regardless of his stats. Myself included. It's obvious from your post that you haven't watched him much at all. Probably just the 1 jets game, which was one of his worse games this season.

Do you think Luck is going to be a franchise qb? Because Tannehill has just as good of stats as he does. Again, it's not about stats. It's about what you see. Does he pass the eye test. For me he does.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why 5 years? the fins won the division in 2008. Also please consider that the dolphins have 40 mill of cap room and just need to sign Jake Long, Reggie Bush and Starks.
    All guys in their 20s. They have all their own picks plus extra picks in the 2nd (Indy) 3rd (chicago) and 5th, 6th and 7th picks. They are definitely a team on the way up
    Last edited by patman; 10-31-2012 at 05:18 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Why 5 years? the fins won the division in 2008. Also please consider that the dolphins have 40 mill of cap room and just need to sign Jake Long, Reggie Bush and Starks.
    All guys in their 20s. They have all their own picks plus extra picks in the 2nd (Indy) 3rd (chicago) and 5th, 6th and 7th picks. They are definitely a team on the way up
    I think you are right, maybe you should consider trolling on their site.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jzelada121 View Post
    I think you are right, maybe you should consider trolling on their site.
    How can what I posted be considered trolling? The OP said that Miami was waiting 5 years and they won in 2008 season. And I do post on a Fins board and a bills board also.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    How can what I posted be considered trolling? The OP said that Miami was waiting 5 years and they won in 2008 season. And I do post on a Fins board and a bills board also.
    Really??? You post on a Bills and FINS board also? You think you are normal?