Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rex Ryan's refusal to bench Mark Sanchez will get him fired.(Article)

Rex Ryan's refusal to bench Mark Sanchez will get him fired.(Article)

Rex Ryan's refusal to bench Mark Sanchez will get him fired.

According to ESPN New York's Rich Cimini:

Rich Cimini @RichCimini

Ryan said he may consider changes in starting lineup. "We'll look at everything" -- but not QB apparently. #Jets
    29 Oct 12

Retweet
    Favorite

The New York Jets are in a tail spin at the midway point of the 2012 NFL season, sitting in last place in the AFC East with a record of 3-5. And while it's not fair to pin the entire thing on Sanchez, there's no doubt that he's a huge part of the problem.

Many fans point to the lack of talent surrounding Sanchez as the reason for his struggles, but when you compare him to guys like Sam Bradford or even Kevin Kolb, it's clear that he's at the bottom of the barrel.
    CMP ATT YDS PCT TD INT FUM
    Sanchez 144 272 1,736 52.9% 10 8 7
    Bradford 153 249 1,797 61.4% 8 7 2
    Kolb 109 183 1,169 59.6% 8 3 2

Which QB would you choose out of these four?
    Sam Bradford Kevin Kolb Mark Sanchez Tim Tebow Submit Vote vote to see results

Bradford has an average running game backing him up (No. 18 in the NFL), but he has much less to work with everywhere else than Sanchez. He has been sacked five more times than Sanchez, and his receiving corps (tight end included) makes the one Sanchez is working with in New York look amazing.

Kolb has the worst offensive line in the NFL in front of him. This unit gives up five sacks per game and ranks No. 29 in the league in rushing yards per game. Still, he has managed to get the ball to his receivers and has stayed away from throwing interceptions.

The Jets offense is going nowhere fast. Sanchez looks more and more confused by the week, and his confidence is at an all-time low. He doesn't trust what he sees on the field, and it's clear that the Jets need to try something different.

Ryan's being stubborn, though, in his blind support of Sanchez. His latest remarks, via ESPNNewYork.com's Cimini:

I think Mark gives us the best chance to win, that's how I feel. Can Tim be successful? Yeah, absolutely, and we need to take a look at that as well. But in my opinion, Mark as the starting quarterback gives my football team the best chance to win.

Besides the insane devotion to a guy that continues to play worse and worse, what I don't like about this statement from Ryan is that he's going with his feelings instead of taking a cold, hard look at his team.

"I feel" doesn't get the job done in the NFL.

Hi-res-154839749_crop_exact If not now, then when?
    Jim Rogash/Getty Images

Ryan, for whatever reason, refuses to make the necessary adjustments to his team. As a result, his position as head coach of the Jets is clearly in jeopardy.

Jon Fox had the guts to go unconventional last season when the Denver Broncos were sinking. His decision to go with Tebow saved his team's season. Ryan needs to take a page from Fox's book and make the change, or he won't be the head coach of the Jets next season.

Sanchez is not the guy, but Tebow might be. At this point in the season, it's worth a try. Ryan's not having any of it, though, and his stubborn devotion to Sanchez will end up being his undoing.
    Most know I think Ryan is a great coach and I want him here even if Tanny/Sanchez are gone. However, if he continues to be this stubborn or negligent regarding our players its going to be the death of him. While this article specifically is talking about the QB position im talking about the big picture. Sticking with guys like Eric Smith, Leonard, Wayne hunter, Shonn Greene, Westerman, Bart Scott? etc.

The best player plays. Without competition how good can a team be?

He has been most loyal to Mark Sanchez over anyone on the roster since he was drafted, nurtured him. How did that workout?
    Last edited by KR; 10-29-2012 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post
    Most know I think Ryan is a great coach and I want him here even if Tanny/Sanchez are gone. However, if he continues to be this stubborn or negligent regarding our players its going to be the death of him.
    I completely 1 bajillion percent agree with everything you just said.
    Last edited by Dunnie; 10-29-2012 at 11:28 PM.

Our only other option is Tebow. LOL, NO.

If McElroy's vagina ever heals up, give him a shot.

I've believed this for a while now. I just hope that by the media talking about it will somehow get through Rex Ryan's stubborn facade. Because what Cimini says is actually true. If Rex goes the entire season with Sanchez and the Jets tank, which is sure to happen with Sanchez as QB, he will get fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I've believed this for a while now. I just hope that by the media talking about it will somehow get through Rex Ryan's stubborn facade. Because what Cimini says is actually true. If Rex goes the entire season with Sanchez and the Jets tank, which is sure to happen with Sanchez as QB, he will get fired.
    I think Rex has some perverse notion of honor ... He must have told Mark that he would live and die with him on the day he was drafted or something ... And while this type of belief/action is admirable, it is not always warranted or intelligent ... Then again Rex has never been accused of being a rocket scientist.

I particularly enjoyed Rex's comment regarding Marks play this week. Mark looked pretty accurate on some of his throws ... By definition if he was not accurate throughout the game ... HE WAS NOT ACCURATE !
    Last edited by Dunnie; 10-29-2012 at 11:47 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

We don't have a real backup, that's the problem. Should've kept Stanton....

I wil refer you to statements Rex has said about Sanchez.

He will be our quarterback for as long as Im here, which I hope will be for a long, long time,

"Mark is an outstanding QB"

"I think hes an elite quarterback because he wins the big games and hes a winner."

The only way we will ever rid ourselves of Sanchez is by firing Rex. He will never bench him and will annoint him as next years starter. I repeat Rex will never admit he made a mistake trading up to the 5th pick to select a jag QB who cant get out of the bottom 5 in every important statistic for the last 4 years.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    You hit the nail on the head. Then again if Rex went with Tebow and the team did no better/worse couldn't the blame be shifted from Rex to management? Woody/Tanny would be under the spotlight in that scenario given their singualr interest (outside of Jacksonville) in obtaining Tebow. From a job security standpoint Rex would be crazy not to expose that Tebow is not the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    You hit the nail on the head. Then again if Rex went with Tebow and the team did no better/worse couldn't the blame be shifted from Rex to management? Woody/Tanny would be under the spotlight in that scenario given their singualr interest (outside of Jacksonville) in obtaining Tebow. From a job security standpoint Rex would be crazy not to expose that Tebow is not the answer.
    Once Tanny goes, there is no job security

i'm wondering if rex didn't want tebow and is 'rebelling' against the owner's decision to bring him here. so rex is basically saying to woody, i dare you to fire me. b/c if woody firex rex, then he's pretty much got to dump sanchez and maybe tanny too, since tanny brought them here. it's pretty clear that woody loves tebow and rex doesn't. granted, the jets' problems extend far beyond qb, but the qb situation seems to be the battleground where the big guys are standing put.

All Pro
    Rex Ryan should have been fired after the debacle in miami in 2011. If that wasn't bad enough to get him fired, then his admission that he didn't know what was going on within his team should have gotten him fired.

Instead the guy who coached Sanchez to some of his best performances (if it's good enough for Sanchez it should be good enough for his OC) LOL, and showed the leadership the HC should have shown was fired.

It was all Shotty's fault.

Whose fault is it now.

Fall guy #2

Tony Sparano.

Most know I think Ryan is a great coach and I want him here even if Tanny/Sanchez are gone. However, if he continues to be this stubborn or negligent regarding our players its going to be the death of him. While this article specifically is talking about the QB position im talking about the big picture. Sticking with guys like Eric Smith, Leonard, Wayne hunter, Shonn Greene, Westerman, Bart Scott? etc.

He has been most loyal to Mark Sanchez over anyone on the roster since he was drafted, nurtured him. How did that workout?
    What Rex is doing, makes him a bad coach. This is not the first time he goes with his feeling. He feels that Pace, Scott, Harris, Thomas make his D better. They don't,. This article is spot on, Rex is not a good coach. After reading this and actually seeing the Jets play fall to an all time low, the fact are plain as day. Rex is a bad coach.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Rex Ryan should have been fired after the debacle in miami in 2011. If that wasn't bad enough to get him fired, then his admission that he didn't know what was going on within his team should have gotten him fired.

Instead the guy who coached Sanchez to some of his best performances (if it's good enough for Sanchez it should be good enough for his OC) LOL, and showed the leadership the HC should have shown was fired.

It was all Shotty's fault.

Whose fault is it now.

Fall guy #2

Tony Sparano.
    Well.......here we go.

Jets Insider VIP
    Most know I think Ryan is a great coach
    HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA. Rex has shown he is not great at anything. Even his defense is average at best now. It has run its course and Rex Ryan has shown himself to be nothing more then a JAG heed coach. Time to move on.

Sanchez is the best qb on the jets roster, him staying with Sanchez will not get him fired. The decision to extend Sanchez like any 20mill player was approved by the owner.

In December if the jets are eliminated from the playoffs, he may start Tebow saying Sanchez is dinged.

+1. While I want to turn the page on Sanchez/Tanny, I want the team to start exercising some consistency at head coach. Say what you want, I believe Rex still has the best winning % in team history (although that says more about the team's history than anything else).

Bringing in a new GM may be a good thing for Rex. Since its an administration that did not hire him, maybe Rex would feel more motivated to actually bench starters who are not performing.

Rex is protecting his job. If Sanchez isn't the starter Rex gets fired and Woody brings in a new coach to start over. The only way Rex saves his job is if Sanchez takes them to the playoffs

Which is also the only logical explanation for Sanchez's extension - Tanny is in the same boat - Jets are committed to Sanchez next year too - not allowing the Jets to start over for another year

Jets Insider VIP
    Bringing in a new GM may be a good thing for Rex.
    A new GM is firing Rex in a blink of an eye. No Gm is going to want the media circus that rex brings. Rex is a nightmare for a gm.

How can a "great coach" be negiligent regarding our players--I don't get it. Give it up.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    This.

I'm sure he'd rather put McElroy out there than Tebow, but can't because of the media sh*tstorm it would create.