Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 Year Anniversary "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!"

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

10 Year Anniversary "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!"

Its been 10 years since Herms press conference when he lost it and went on his infamous speach.

To most, it was just a catch phrase. But to Jets fans, it marked the start of an improbable run to AFC East Division Champs, from 2-5 to 9-7, which gave us our last home playoff game.

That was such a sweet feeling......December 29th, 2002 (my 20th bday) where we stomped GB, which gave us the division and eliminated both hated rivals from the playoffs in NE and MIA.

Might of been one of the most satisfying seasons as a Jets fan, especially living in NE and getting sht from their fans all year long since they were coming off their first SB win.

Bring back great memories for any other Jets fans?

Sent from my LG-P999
    Last edited by PaPZ187; 10-30-2012 at 12:44 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    HELL OOOOOOOOOLOL!!! u play to win the gm Rex!!!

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PaPZ187 View Post
    Its been 10 years since Herms press conference when he lost it and went on his infamous speach.

To most, it was just a catch phrase. But to Jets fans, it marked the start of an improbable run to AFC East Division Champs, from 2-5 to 9-7, which gave us our last home playoff game.

That was such a sweet feeling......December 29th, 2002 (my 20th bday) where we stomped GB, which gave us the division and eliminated both hated rivals from the playoffs in NE and MIA.

Might of been one of the most satisfying seasons as a Jets fan, especially living in NE and getting sht from their fans all year long since they were coming off their first SB win.

Sent from my LG-P999
    The most satisfying win of my 25 years as a Jets fan. Remember it like it was yesterday:

- Jets fans going crazy after the Pats beat the Fins and we all knew the game was for the division. It was the first time I knew the Jets were actually going to WIN a game in the first quarter. That place was nuts.
    - Pennington out-dueling Favre, literally picking apart what would have been the #1 seed in the NFC that year. He really did look like the next Joe Montana in that game.
    - Herm completing the rally from 2-5. The master motivator.

It wasn't just the win and the trip to the playoffs...it really looked like the Jets had something big between the ultimate players coach and the ultimate cerebral QB with pinpoint accuracy. Turned out the master motivator was not so much a master of Xs and Os (or a clock for that), and the cerebral QB was packing spaghetti in his shoulder.

The life of a Jets fan.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    that guy had the guts to play an unpoven pennington... to bad our current coach doesn't have that ability... despite all his tough talk.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by afesposit View Post
    that guy had the guts to play an unpoven pennington... to bad our current coach doesn't have that ability... despite all his tough talk.
    That guy also had an aging Vinny T who he knew was too full of class to make a big stink of it if he was benched. Remember?

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome speech. Ironic in that Herm never did play to win the game, but just a great catchphrase and delivery

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Sent from my LG-P999
    But Herm was wrong! Now in NY its : YOU PLAY to make your QB look decent and if he fails you keep playing him until he gets it right!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Awesome speech. Ironic in that Herm never did play to win the game, but just a great catchphrase and delivery
    I often wonder if Herm would make a better Defensive Coordinator than HC....

He'd certainly do no worse than Pettine aka Buttmonkey-of-Rex.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was this the season the Pennington led Jets upset the Chargers in SD on a Snatana Moss TD bomb over Jammers head?

If so, yes, great times at that game.

Almost got beat up like 35X.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    The most satisfying win of my 25 years as a Jets fan. Remember it like it was yesterday:

- Jets fans going crazy after the Pats beat the Fins and we all knew the game was for the division. It was the first time I knew the Jets were actually going to WIN a game in the first quarter. That place was nuts.
    - Pennington out-dueling Favre, literally picking apart what would have been the #1 seed in the NFC that year. He really did look like the next Joe Montana in that game.

It wasn't just the win and the trip to the playoffs...it really looked like the Jets had something big between the ultimate players coach and the ultimate cerebral QB with pinpoint accuracy. Turned out the master motivator was not so much a master of Xs and Os (or a clock for that), and the cerebral QB was packing spaghetti in his shoulder.

The life of a Jets fan.
    Man that was such a GREAT feeling!

That win against GB is probably the most satisfying win in my 30 years alive as a Jets fan, along with the playoff win in NE two years ago.

It really did seem so friggin hopeful at the time. Pennington did look like the next great QB, Herm looked liked a great HC and the Jets appeared to be the "Cinderella SB Story" as the Patriots were the year before.

The life of a Jets fan......you got that right

Sent from my LG-P999

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

The life of a Jets fan.
    Beating Peyton and the Colts 41-0 the following week was pretty satisfying too. Thought we were building something special there but Chad never again reached that level and Herm just made too many game management mistakes. Hard luck franchise I suppose

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Was this the season the Pennington led Jets upset the Chargers in SD on a Snatana Moss TD bomb over Jammers head?

If so, yes, great times at that game.

Almost got beat up like 35X.
    No that was 2 years later.....2004.....we are taking about 2002.....but that was a great playoff win....too bad Brien couldn't make a FG the following week

Sent from my LG-P999

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    No that was 2 years later.....2004.....we are taking about 2002.....but that was a great playoff win....too bad Brien couldn't make a FG the following week

Sent from my LG-P999
    Actually Jets did pull a big upset against SD in regular season that year as well....you may be right my friend

Sent from my LG-P999

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Beating Peyton and the Colts 41-0 the following week was pretty satisfying too. Thought we were building something special there but Chad never again reached that level and Herm just made too many game management mistakes. Hard luck franchise I suppose
    You just reminded me of the week before the Packers game, when on a Sunday night against the Pats Pennington threw for something stupid like 170 yards in the first quarter.

Jets won three must-wins in convincing fashion. There may have been better seasons and better playoff runs, but there's no way anyone can point to a better three-game stretch for this franchise in the last 40 years, considering the implications at the time.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Yeah that game you could feel was over before it started almost.

Still remember that sweet screen to Richie Anderson for the first TD.....the Meadowlands was rocking those two weeks ....... must of been great to of been there live for all of that......you can feel the electricity watching on TV nevermind in person.

Sent from my LG-P999

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Herm always played to win the game. The problem is some fans didn't like how he did it. Just like some fans don't like how Rex does it.

Everyone does it. It's what works 80-90% of the time.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You just reminded me of the week before the Packers game, when on a Sunday night against the Pats Pennington threw for something stupid like 170 yards in the first quarter.

Jets won three must-wins in convincing fashion. There may have been better seasons and better playoff runs, but there's no way anyone can point to a better three-game stretch for this franchise in the last 40 years, considering the implications at the time.
    +1 Chrebet making a nice TD catch (late in the game IIRC) at that NE game is the first play that comes to mind.

Speaking of the Pats, didn't they overcome a late deficit against Miami in week 17 that year that ultimately gave us the shot at winning the AFC East by beating Green Bay?

I always look for a season recap from NFL Films for that 2002 Jets team but can never seem to find it!

Sent from my LG-P999

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    That guy also had an aging Vinny T who he knew was too full of class to make a big stink of it if he was benched. Remember?
    That guy also had a legitimate QB on the bench to bring in. Not some fullbackwho wants to be a QB

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    That guy also had a legitimate QB on the bench to bring in. Not some fullbackwho wants to be a QB
    And not some sad sack loser at the starting position.