Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Let's say Rex gets fired and Bill Cowher is not available

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Jet Fan View Post
    Rick Dennison

Rick Dennison is in his third season as the Texans’ offensive coordinator. Dennison is entering his 18th season in the NFL as a coach and his 27th year in the League overall. Prior to joining head coach Gary Kubiak’s staff in 2010, Dennison had spent his entire NFL tenure with the Denver Broncos, first as a player from 1982-90 and then as a coach from 1995-2009.

Houston’s offense has become synonymous with success in the run game since Dennison joined the staff in January 2010. Houston ranks fourth in the NFL with 140.3 rushing yards per game, is tied for the NFL lead with 38 combined rushing touchdowns and has set franchise rushing records in consecutive years in Dennison’s first two seasons running the offense.

We need an Offensive Guy!!
    But you don't know who is responsible for the game plans, Kubiak or Dennison.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCFan View Post
    That all assumes that anyone who is any good would work for Woody "PSL" Johnson. Big assumption.

If you look at the numbers, it's clear that the Jets are carrying a whole boatload of debt from the stadium and aren't generating the cashflow necessary to cover the interest service and also supplement Woody's draw from his daddy's trust funds enough so that he can spend money like a big swinging dick in Manhattan and on Presidential Campaigns.

That means that Johnson will continue to put pressure on his management to "win now" and hire people who know how to get on the back page (Ryan, Favre, Tebow, Plaxico, Cromartie...need I go on?) instead of being smart about building a consistent contender for years to come. A smart GM candidate will run, not walk, to the nearest exit.
    If you are correct, which you probably are, then most of the threads on this board are moot.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mavericknyc1980 View Post
    Who should we look at???
    Chip Kelly???
    Greg Roman???
    Jay Gruden???
    Mike Zimmerman???
    Jay Gruden??? You mean Jon Gruden? Yeah, I want Chucky!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetinHuntersville View Post
    Jon's brother Jay is the OC for Cincy. He won 4 arena bowls as a player and 2 as a HC.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Jet Fan View Post
    Let me make a point here.

When Joe Torre was the Manager for the , Mets and Cardinals he did below average with those teams.

Torre managed the Mets from 1977 to 1981 season, but failed to improve the team's record. After five years without a winning season, he was fired

In 1990, Torre replaced the popular Whitey Herzog as Cardinals manager and posted a 351–354 record.

So he goes on to coach the Yankees and people think he is the Messiah!!!

Talent is why he won with the Yankees, and if we have a team with very little talent and playmakers does it really matter? A great GM is what we need!!!!!
    No but a legit HC is going to insist on having serious input in building the team and he is going to be someone who has a vision of the type of team he wants and is also going to be known as a decent talent evaluator.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Brian Schottenheimer
    hahahahaahhahahahahahaha

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    i don't want to hire a recently fired coach for anything, a la Andy Reid. Hiring Sparano as our OC was a terrible decision, these guys were fired for a reason.i don't know who would coach, maybe someone like Marty Schottenheimer or Jay Gruden.
    Cam Cameron lasted 1 year as the Fins HC but is the OC now for the Ravens..Sparano took the 1-15 Fins to a east title in 08 with the help of Chaddy cakes.. Tom Coughlin was on the hot seat until Eli got hot in the playoffs.. It seems good play from the QB position covers alot of flaws.. And as sad is it is to say Sanchez has turned into Suckchez..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PaPZ187 View Post
    +1 Tannenbaum needs to be replaced......if he stayed on as a salary cap guru I wouldn't have a problem with that.

IF Rex is gone after the year, I would like to see Jon Gruden as HC and possibly Greg Williams as DC (if he gets reinstated and doesn't coach for STL). Yeah yeah yeah he ran the bounty scandal ........ F that, I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't the only DC who did it, and regardless the man can coach a Defense.

Sent from my LG-P999
    He was let go from the Saints because his D has sucked a$$ the past 3 or 4 years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    But Kentucky Jet thinks he's not a bad candidate. And we all know not to doubt his football knowledge.
    Why don't we and the Rams just trade starting QB's.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    Whats the obsession with Cowher? 1 Super bowl in 16 years. Cowher leaves, then the same team wins 2 super bowls in 4 years. Me thinks he is very overrated.
    The team was consistently competitive. Year in and year out they were a team quality NFL football team.

Their down years weren't bad and didn't last long. He developed players well, had a system and had a plan.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Forget about the HC, it's the GM. 3 former GM's are currently without a team and looking to get a job in 2013: Bill Polian, Mike Lombardi, and Jerry Angelo. Polian is by far the best available. With Woody's penchant for high profile hires, he's the guy I truly believe will be the Jets GM in 2013. Lombardi and Angelo are good fallback positions because both are football guys and are > Tanny.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Forget about the HC, it's the GM. 3 former GM's are currently without a team and looking to get a job in 2013: Bill Polian, Mike Lombardi, and Jerry Angelo. Polian is by far the best available. With Woody's penchant for high profile hires, he's the guy I truly believe will be the Jets GM in 2013. Lombardi and Angelo are good fallback positions because both are football guys and are > Tanny.
    Why Polian ??? His success can largely be attributed to P Manning ... His defenses sucked ass.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Why Polian ??? His success can largely be attributed to P Manning ... His defenses sucked ass.
    Seriously?

Before Indy, he built a Buffalo Bills (1986-1993) team that went to 4 Superbowls and an expansion Carolina Panther (1994-1997) team that went to the NFC Championship game in its second year of existence. And who do you think drafted Mathis, Freeney, Wayne, Clark, Edgerrin James, Joseph Addai et. al. He also had the balls to trade away Marshall Faulk rather than break the bank to pay him and completed a tremendous Bill D (drafted by him) by making a great trade for Cornelius Bennet.
    Last edited by SONNY WERBLIN; 10-31-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetinHuntersville View Post
    Jay should be the next Jets HC if Holmgren isn't available/wants it..An argument could be made for Jay as the #1 choice.

Jay Gruden is in his second season as Bengals offensive coordinator, following a 2011 campaign in which his young unit’s performance far exceeded most analysts’ forecasts.

Rookie QB Andy Dalton became an instant standout in Gruden’s system, fueling the team’s drive to the playoffs by leading four wins featuring fourth-quarter comebacks. The team had a total of five such comebacks, as backup QB Bruce Gradkowski led one after Dalton was injured.

Rookie WR A.J. Green was also an instant success, leading all NFL rookies in receptions (65) and receiving yards (1057). Dalton and Green became the first QB-WR duo to play in the Pro Bowl as rookies, and second-year TE Jermaine Gresham also prospered in Gruden’s system, earning a Pro Bowl berth as he bettered the good numbers he had posted as a rookie.

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis credited Gruden’s offensive system with helping Dalton, a second-round draft choice, enjoy success from the outset.

“We are much more simple (compared to pre-2011) in our scheme for the quarterback,” Lewis says. “We are not reinventing the wheel against every new defense we face. Jay sees the offense through the quarterback’s eyes, and it’s a case of building from week to week, rather than starting over. The quarterback has a lot of leeway in the things he can call, and Jay recognized that Andy was the type of player who could use those options effectively.”

Prior to joining the Bengals, Gruden coached for seven seasons (2002-08) in the NFL with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, earning a Super Bowl championship ring in 2002. He also ranks among the most outstanding players and coaches in the history of the Arena Football League, having won four league championships as a quarterback and two as a head coach. In 18 AFL seasons as a player and head coach, he never missed the playoffs.

In 2010, Gruden was head coach and general manager of the Florida Tuskers of the United Football League, leading the Tuskers to the UFL championship game.
    Gruden played four seasons at QB for the University of Louisville (1985-88), including three years as the starter. He was a two-time team MVP and left the program ranked fourth in Cardinals history in completions (572), passing yards (7024) and touchdown passes (44). He played QB in the Arena League for six seasons (1991-96) with the Tampa Bay Storm, winning four AFL titles and posting numbers as the league’s all-time leading passer.

He was head coach for the AFL’s Orlando Predators for nine seasons (1998-2001 and 2004-08). He led the team to four championship game appearances, with two league titles, while compiling a 93-61 record (.604 winning percentage). During a two-year hiatus from coaching the Predators, in 2002-03, he returned to the playing field as Orlando’s QB, leading two playoff seasons. He was elected in 1999 to the AFL Hall of Fame.

In 2002, Gruden accepted a position as an offensive assistant coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, taking on a dual role as he also continued his AFL exploits during NFL offseasons. He worked for seven seasons at Tampa Bay under his brother Jon, who was Bucs head coach. He contributed to three division championship seasons, including the 2002 campaign that saw the Bucs defeat Oakland 48-21 for a victory in Super Bowl XXXVII.

Gruden was born March 4, 1967 in Tiffin, Ohio. He and his wife, Sherry, have three sons — J.J., Joey and Jack. PLAYING AND COACHING HISTORY — 1985-88: Played QB at University of Louisville. 1990: Played QB for Barcelona Dragons and Sacramento Surge (WLAF). 1991-96: Played QB for Tampa Bay Storm (AFL). 1997: Offensive coordinator, Nashville Kats (AFL). 1998-2001: Head coach, Orlando Predators (AFL). 2002-03: Played QB for Orlando Predators. 2004-08: Head coach, Orlando Predators. 2002-08: Assistant coach, Tampa Bay Buccaneers. 2009: Offensive coordinator, Florida Tuskers (UFL). 2010: Head coach, Florida Tuskers. 2011-present: Offensive coordinator, Bengals.

http://www.bengals.com/team/coaches/...b-2b706069c0b6
    Last edited by C Mart; 10-31-2012 at 09:36 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Seriously?

Before Indy, he built a Buffalo Bills (1986-1993) team that went to 4 Superbowls and an expansion Carolina Panther (1994-1997) team that went to the NFC Championship game in its second year of existence. And who do you think drafted Mathis, Freeney, Wayne, Clark, Edgerrin James, Joseph Addai et. al. He also had the balls to trade away Marshall Faulk rather than break the bank to pay him and completed a tremendous Bill D (drafted by him) by making a great trade for Cornelius Bennet.
    I don't know I think the game may have passed him by. Not saying you are wrong ... Just saying I'd prefer a Polian from 25 years ago.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    I don't know I think the game may have passed him by. Not saying you are wrong ... Just saying I'd prefer a Polian from 25 years ago.
    Polian is like 100 years old and could probably care less about working again. He spent the last few years of his career just getting his son in the door. I want no part in that really. People need to stop saying he is a viable answer because he just is not. OH BTW here is a headline from just a few days ago.
    Former NFL GM Thinks Tim Tebow Could Be A Hall Of Fame Running Back With Jaguars
    http://www.businessinsider.com/bill-...aguars-2012-10

This is the man you guys want? F drafting a RB or getting one in FA next year we have a HOF in Tebow.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the Record Polin turns 70 in December. And from the looks of him, I'd say he is not too old for the job.

And, rumor has it, he is looking to be a GM next season. http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2012/1...ng-in-buffalo/

Finally, he said Tebow "could be" the next John Riggins if moved to RB. Wow, the gaul of the man to project some success for Tebow doing the one thing he is good at. See the video linked below where he explains Tebow's similarities to Riggins (except for speed).

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8554996

PS. I hope I look that good turning 70.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    No veteran HC is going to the Jets unless he can pick his GM, which doesn't happen. No veteran GM is coming to the Jets without complete autonomy, as in "no Woody, we aren't trading for Tebow"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jon Gruden
    Jay Gruden (Cincinnati OC)
    Aaron Kromer (New Orleans OL/Running game OC)
    Josh McDaniels (New England OC -- TEBOW's HC when drafted, Woody wants to keep Tebow, take away a Belicheck favorite)
    Mel Tucker (Jacksonville Ass.HC/DC)
    Winston Moss (Green Bay, Ass.HC/LB)
    Kevin Coyle (Miami DC)

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chip Kelly.

We have to tank the rest of the season so we can draft Geno. The rebuilding starts here and now.

From the ashes, the Jets will rise....