Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 89

Thread: Let's say Rex gets fired and Bill Cowher is not available

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by mavericknyc1980 View Post
    Who should we look at???
    Chip Kelly???
    Greg Roman???
    Jay Gruden???
    Mike Zimmerman???
    Whats the obsession with Cowher? 1 Super bowl in 16 years. Cowher leaves, then the same team wins 2 super bowls in 4 years. Me thinks he is very overrated.

  2. #42
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0


    SAR I

  3. #43
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    SoFla
    Posts
    18,326
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Brian Schottenheimer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    he is not a bad choice.
    >he is not a bad choice
    >he is not a bad choice
    >he is not a bad choice

    mfw
    Last edited by 10PennyToColes87; 10-30-2012 at 08:22 PM.

  4. #44
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,170
    Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    Whats the obsession with Cowher? 1 Super bowl in 16 years. Cowher leaves, then the same team wins 2 super bowls in 4 years. Me thinks he is very overrated.
    Same team. Except nOw it has an HOF caliber starting QB

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    FWIW...I heard Franchesa today and in his opinion, he didn't claim any "sauces", Woody loves Rex and thinks he'll be back another season (please NO!). He thinks it's possible Tanny could be out or at least have his personnel authority removed..

    Again, no "sauces" just his opinion..He also said the Jets org has screwed up Sanchez..Still thinks he is/can be a good QB..Feels Rex isn't a HC..

    Just thought I would pass it along.

    As for the question. I want Holmgren as HC..Let him hire his OC to groom to replace him as HC when he decides to "retire" again from coaching. I'd also be OK with Andy Reid (altho I think he needs a year off) or Jay Gruden is an interesting name/option

    I don't want Homgren as GM or anything other than HC...

    As for Cowher...After four (including Groh) consecutive D coaches becoming the Jets HC it's time for an offensive minded HC...Especially in this day of NFL age of pass, pass and more pass...
    Well if they bring a new gn in, I would be willing to give Rex one more year. They can't stay in neutral.

  6. #46
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawrence, MA
    Posts
    3,811
    Quote Originally Posted by mavericknyc1980 View Post
    Well if they bring a new gn in, I would be willing to give Rex one more year. They can't stay in neutral.
    +1 Tannenbaum needs to be replaced......if he stayed on as a salary cap guru I wouldn't have a problem with that.

    IF Rex is gone after the year, I would like to see Jon Gruden as HC and possibly Greg Williams as DC (if he gets reinstated and doesn't coach for STL). Yeah yeah yeah he ran the bounty scandal ........ F that, I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't the only DC who did it, and regardless the man can coach a Defense.

    Sent from my LG-P999

  7. #47
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,550
    Mike Holmgren: I do miss the coaching part
    Posted by Josh Alper on October 23, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT

    APOutgoing Browns president Mike Holmgren held a press conference on Tuesday and predictably answered many questions about what happens now that the shift in power in the Browns organization has been made public.

    Holmgren was asked whether he would consider a return to coaching once he’s officially back on the job market. The former Packers and Seahawks coach didn’t rule it out.

    “I don’t know. I do miss the coaching part,” Holmgren said, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

    He said he considered taking over as head coach after firing Eric Mangini, but said he felt he’d be “shortchanging the organization” if he took the job at that moment. Holmgren has a 161-111 record as an NFL coach and won Super Bowl XXXI with the Packers.

    Holmgren said that he won’t rock the boat in the little time he has left with the organization and that he hopes to stick around to help on the football side of things for the rest of the season if owner Jimmy Haslam and CEO Joe Banner are comfortable with it. Holmgren said that he knows the team didn’t win enough games, but hopes that quarterback Brandon Weeden is part of a table set for success for the future.

    Holmgren didn’t win in Cleveland and the team’s 10-29 record during his tenure is not going to make him a likely candidate for another job running the whole operation. As a coach, though, it’s hard to imagine Holmgren’s name won’t at least come up in association with openings around the league.

  8. #48
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,760
    Quote Originally Posted by TokyoJetsFan View Post
    Mike Holmgren: I do miss the coaching part
    Posted by Josh Alper on October 23, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT

    APOutgoing Browns president Mike Holmgren held a press conference on Tuesday and predictably answered many questions about what happens now that the shift in power in the Browns organization has been made public.

    Holmgren was asked whether he would consider a return to coaching once he’s officially back on the job market. The former Packers and Seahawks coach didn’t rule it out.

    “I don’t know. I do miss the coaching part,” Holmgren said, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

    He said he considered taking over as head coach after firing Eric Mangini, but said he felt he’d be “shortchanging the organization” if he took the job at that moment. Holmgren has a 161-111 record as an NFL coach and won Super Bowl XXXI with the Packers.

    Holmgren said that he won’t rock the boat in the little time he has left with the organization and that he hopes to stick around to help on the football side of things for the rest of the season if owner Jimmy Haslam and CEO Joe Banner are comfortable with it. Holmgren said that he knows the team didn’t win enough games, but hopes that quarterback Brandon Weeden is part of a table set for success for the future.

    Holmgren didn’t win in Cleveland and the team’s 10-29 record during his tenure is not going to make him a likely candidate for another job running the whole operation. As a coach, though, it’s hard to imagine Holmgren’s name won’t at least come up in association with openings around the league.
    Holmgren will do a Parcells, if he is that good. I would like to bring back that west coast offense; it's possible that he could understand how to APPLY IT SUCCESSFULLY against today's defenses.

    Possible. Not likely, not probable. Possible.

  9. #49
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    OK, the most important thing is getting a legitimate GM in place. my early guess is Kevin Abrams, currently the assistant GM of the Giants.

    Then, he brings in an experienced coach cut of the Tom Coughlin mold, Todd Haley. He is a ball buster and will lay down the law.

    I honestly don't believe that player-friendly coaches can be successful LONG TERM because eventually they lose the the team. Yet, the hard ass disciplined coaches can succeed long term, Cowher, Parcells, Coughlin, etc.

    The only thing keeping this from happening is the SB in NY next season. he may want to go for broke with Tebow next season and then blow the whole damn thing up when we come up short next season.

    Whats unfortunate is regardless of who is the GM and HC, we will be replacing at least 4 starters on D (Pace, Thomas, Landry, and Bell-not even counting Scott). This is before any upgrades are made to the offense/special teams. So do we trust Tanny and Rex to do what is in the the best interest of the team long term or will he ok desperate moves that will add years to the rebuilding.

  10. #50
    Why in the world would a guy like Cowher, who spent years working for a class organization and ownership in the Steelers and the Rooneys, ever work for a dimwit like Woody Johnson and an idiot like Tannenchez?

    There's no more likelihood of that happening than there was of Peyton Manning coming to the Meadowlands, and for the same reason.

  11. #51
    So an interesting thought...

    We rail at Rex, but in looking at some of the best coaches in the league you have several that were brought into stable well run organizations when they were fresh.

    Tomlin- Rooneys
    Coughlin- Maras
    Dungy- Polian (from the past, but a good example)

    I wonder to what extent have a strong system helped those coaches to develop.

    Personally I am on board with getting a new GM, and IF the new GM sees fit to give Rex one more shot at fielding a good team so be it. His biggest flaw according to league circles (as per CBNY in the draft forum) is being too loyal to players and making some questionable personnel decisions. If the new GM can take control of the latter more wholeheartedly and perhaps wear the black hat/voice of reason for Rex, you might have a winning combo. All conjecture though.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Rob Ryan
    +1

  13. #53
    Schotty.

    Did you see the 7 points his offense put up against the worst secondary in the NFL? What a genius and boy do we miss him.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    OK, the most important thing is getting a legitimate GM in place. my early guess is Kevin Abrams, currently the assistant GM of the Giants.

    Then, he brings in an experienced coach cut of the Tom Coughlin mold, Todd Haley. He is a ball buster and will lay down the law.

    I honestly don't believe that player-friendly coaches can be successful LONG TERM because eventually they lose the the team. Yet, the hard ass disciplined coaches can succeed long term, Cowher, Parcells, Coughlin, etc.

    The only thing keeping this from happening is the SB in NY next season. he may want to go for broke with Tebow next season and then blow the whole damn thing up when we come up short next season.

    Whats unfortunate is regardless of who is the GM and HC, we will be replacing at least 4 starters on D (Pace, Thomas, Landry, and Bell-not even counting Scott). This is before any upgrades are made to the offense/special teams. So do we trust Tanny and Rex to do what is in the the best interest of the team long term or will he ok desperate moves that will add years to the rebuilding.
    That all assumes that anyone who is any good would work for Woody "PSL" Johnson. Big assumption.

    If you look at the numbers, it's clear that the Jets are carrying a whole boatload of debt from the stadium and aren't generating the cashflow necessary to cover the interest service and also supplement Woody's draw from his daddy's trust funds enough so that he can spend money like a big swinging dick in Manhattan and on Presidential Campaigns.

    That means that Johnson will continue to put pressure on his management to "win now" and hire people who know how to get on the back page (Ryan, Favre, Tebow, Plaxico, Cromartie...need I go on?) instead of being smart about building a consistent contender for years to come. A smart GM candidate will run, not walk, to the nearest exit.

  15. #55
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    SoFla
    Posts
    18,326
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Schotty.

    Did you see the 7 points his offense put up against the worst secondary in the NFL? What a genius and boy do we miss him.
    But Kentucky Jet thinks he's not a bad candidate. And we all know not to doubt his football knowledge.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    Whats the obsession with Cowher? 1 Super bowl in 16 years. Cowher leaves, then the same team wins 2 super bowls in 4 years. Me thinks he is very overrated.
    Cowher never had a QB until Big Ben came along. No one can blame him for not winning SB's with the likes Mike Tomczak, Tommy Maddox, Kordell and our own beloved Neil O'Donnel.

  17. #57
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawrence, MA
    Posts
    3,811
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Cowher never had a QB until Big Ben came along. No one can blame him for not winning SB's with the likes Mike Tomczak, Tommy Maddox, Kordell and our own beloved Neil O'Donnel.
    Well if thats the case.....then how can we blame Rex for not winning one without a QB? Hell he has come pretty close with a guy who alot say is one of the worst in the league......that should be a clear indicator Rex has been very successful overall with one of the biggest handicaps in the NFL.

    Rex is only in his 4th year as well. He was not hired to evaluate personal and make draft picks.....that is the GMs final decision. Personally I would be fine with a solid GM who is willing to give Rex atleast one more year and allow him to grow as a HC if Cowher is the alternative.

    Sent from my LG-P999

  18. #58
    First off let me say I am still a supporter of Rex Ryan.

    That said, there is something that the Jets organization needs to consider.

    From Bill Parcells, to Al Groh, to Herm Edwards, to Eric Mangini, to Rex Ryan, all of these coaches have one thing in common:

    They are all defensive minded coaches.

    Now while that shouldn't matter as much, I'm of the believe that the Jets defense (as it stands) is capable of being competitive regardless of whether it has a defensive minded coach or not.

    So with that being the case, why not potentially look for someone that knows his offensive X and O's to be the lead man, if coaching is believed to be the issue?

  19. #59
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    7,273
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    My humor sucks, sorrry.

    No, im actually with you 100%. Blow it up, and start fresh. At least there will be hope.

    No player/coach/staff member should be immune to the offseason implosion. Start producing NOW, or get your out of town ticket stamped in the offseason.

    Yes, Mark sucks, and i too have seen more than enough. Personally, i knew at the end of last season.......and the crapball just keeps on rolling downhill, sucking up players in its path.
    lol my bad....didn't get your sarcasm..

    It's time to hit that reset button, but im just afraid woody wont until their contracts are up.....

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    But a top tier HC will be able to develop talent in a QB and others or hire qualified assistants that can do the job. Suckchez has to go in my opinion! Rex and Tannybum also must go! Pettine must go! Sparano must go! and the beat goes on and on..........

    Id want JON and not Jay GRUDEN and / or JIMMY JOHNSON! BUT Id want Bill Polian as our GM.
    A coach is only as good as his staff. Rex has never been the one calling the shots on O and never will be. Rex has done well in developing D talent. Problem is he inherited someone elses staff and it didn't work for him. In the NFL you have to bring in your own guys or else the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. Spags answer to QB was bringing in Stanton and saying he would have a shot. Then our owner and GM went out and got Tebow. This is what needs to stop. NOW Things like moving your best RB to play CB and having your CB playing WR is asinine. Rex needs to wash his hands of these mistakes and put together a staff that he can trust. Panicking will get us one thing IMO. 2 soso years with an aging QB and an over 30 RB. Neither of which will get us to the show. We have a new staff let them get the talent THEY want and see what they can do. If that means spending a little extra to bring in Bush so be it. Stock up on draft pick PLEASE and fill some depth that way. ENOUGH with someone elses trash just to fill BU roster spots.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us