Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36

Thread: Fates of Three Key Jets Are Intertwined ( a worthwhile read )

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan16 View Post
    Your biggest gripes with Tannenbaum are that Danny Woodhead, Alan Faneca, and Howard ****ing Green are no longer Jets in 2012?

    Faneca was still a very good player at the time the Jets let him go, but there's no way he would still be good in 2012. Howard Green and Danny Woodhead are bums that caught on with great teams, and have never really done anything, so what exactly is your point? And yes, Tebow blows and there was never a reason to trade for him, but most people had that figured out 7 months ago.
    Actually Faneca wasn't. He went to AZ for 1 season and wasn't good and retired

  2. #22
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    great midwest -well not so great
    Posts
    9,611
    Quote Originally Posted by AceBoy View Post
    Still the laughingstock of the NFL...that didn't take long
    fixed

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Actually Faneca wasn't. He went to AZ for 1 season and wasn't good and retired
    Whatever. At the time he was cut, a lot of people didn't understand the move (myself included, I figured he had at least a year left in the tank based on his previous year, and the Jets had no player that had proven anything that was going to take over his spot). Now, fast forward two years, to complain now that Faneca isn't on the team (2 years older and now retired) seems a bit retarded, that's all I'm saying. Same thing with Woodhead. The guy is a total bum/ scrub who doesn't fumble the ball, and has the benefit of being a rotation guy as part of the most well oiled offensive system in NFL history. Why people are *****ing that Danny Woodhead isn't on the Jets is beyond me. What do people think the guy would be able to do on the Jets? He'd be just another in a large collection of scrubs that the Jets have on the team that don't do anything (i.e. Chaz Schilens, Jason Hill, Lex Hilliard, etc). The reason why he can do some things on New England is he's got people like Gronkowski, Hernandez, Welker, Branch, Tom Brady, and a bunch of people that take all the attention off him, and allow him to make some plays from time to time because he's the last person you can afford to devote any time to.
    Last edited by Jetfan16; 10-30-2012 at 11:46 PM.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan16 View Post
    Whatever. At the time he was cut, a lot of people didn't understand the move (myself included, I figured he had at least a year left in the tank based on his previous year, and the Jets had no play player that had proven anything to take over his spot). Now, fast forward two years, to complain now that Faneca isn't on the team (2 years older and now retired) seems a bit retarded, that's all I'm saying. Same thing with Woodhead. The guy is a total bum/ scrub who doesn't fumble the ball, and has the benefit of being a rotation guy as part of the most well oiled offensive system in NFL history. Why people are *****ing that Danny Woodhead isn't on the Jets is beyond me. What do people think the guy would be able to do on the Jets? He'd be just another in a large collection of scrubs that the Jets have on the team that don't do anything (i.e. Chaz Schilens, Jason Hill, Lex Hilliard, andpeople like that). The reason why he can do some things on New England is he's got people like Gronkowski, Hernandez, Welker, Branch, Tom Brady, and a bunch of people that take all the attention off him, and allow him to make some plays from time to time because he's the last person you can afford to devote any time to.
    Understand.
    People like Woodhead because he's a "Rudy" story.

  5. #25
    Once the Match is lit it turns to an enforno. If they keep losing Woody is going to have to can them both.

  6. #26
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawrence, MA
    Posts
    3,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan16 View Post
    Whatever. At the time he was cut, a lot of people didn't understand the move (myself included, I figured he had at least a year left in the tank based on his previous year, and the Jets had no player that had proven anything that was going to take over his spot). Now, fast forward two years, to complain now that Faneca isn't on the team (2 years older and now retired) seems a bit retarded, that's all I'm saying. Same thing with Woodhead. The guy is a total bum/ scrub who doesn't fumble the ball, and has the benefit of being a rotation guy as part of the most well oiled offensive system in NFL history. Why people are *****ing that Danny Woodhead isn't on the Jets is beyond me. What do people think the guy would be able to do on the Jets? He'd be just another in a large collection of scrubs that the Jets have on the team that don't do anything (i.e. Chaz Schilens, Jason Hill, Lex Hilliard, etc). The reason why he can do some things on New England is he's got people like Gronkowski, Hernandez, Welker, Branch, Tom Brady, and a bunch of people that take all the attention off him, and allow him to make some plays from time to time because he's the last person you can afford to devote any time to.
    +1

    It was either McKnight or Woodhead.....we needed a reciever at the time and needed to drop a RB.

    McKnight >>>>>>>>>>> Woodhead for me, its not even close.

    If we dropped McKnight, then the Pats signed him and we kept Woodhead EVERYONE would be btchn what a horrible move that would of been.

    Sent from my LG-P999
    Last edited by PaPZ187; 10-31-2012 at 01:27 AM.

  7. #27
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawrence, MA
    Posts
    3,914
    Quote Originally Posted by PaPZ187 View Post
    +1

    It was either McKnight or Woodhead.....we needed a reciever at the time and needed to drop a RB.

    McKnight >>>>>>>>>>> Woodhead for me, its not even close.

    If we dropped McKnight, then the Pats signed him and we kept Woodhead EVERYONE would be btchn what a horrible move that would of been.

    Sent from my LG-P999


    Sent from my LG-P999

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    It's never as bad as it seems. That's the phrase that comes to mind about this. Remember what Mangini and Tanny did to Chad? They told him to take a paycut or be cut, pure and simple. I know the Jets are now locked into paying Sanchez this ridiculous amount of money. But lets face the facts, NO ONE would ever pay Sanchez the kind of money the Jets have and if the Jets demanded Sanchez take a paycut and he refused? Well, he'd collect in the short term, but I don't know that ANY team would ever give Sanchez another chance after seeing how greedy he was with the Jets. Sanchez would need to think of his future before he gets very greedy.

    So I think the Jets should play hard ball with Sanchez. Just cut him outright. Either way the Jets are going to lose. If they hold on to him they'll never win and if they cut him they screw their salary cap in dead money. But at least in the latter scenario, they are moving on and pursuing their future QB. They could potentially acquire an established veteran and install him as the starter. You know that just about any QB they put in Sanchez's place is going to play better and win more games. That's obvious.
    Agreed, for the most part.

    Problem is, Tannenbaum will never play hard ball with him. Why? Because the shyster gave him that guaranteed money in 2013 to make sure that HE, Tannenbaum, had a job in 2013. This is the only way I can even try to understand Tannenbaum's actions. You give a QB that kind of money who is at the bottom of the league 3 years straight? Who has NEVER, EVER gotten hot and taken over a SINGLE GAME in that 3 years. That to me is the most telling that he was, is, and will be tomorrow a fraud as a starting QB in the NFL.

    Baltimore wouldn't do for Joe Flacco what Tannenbaum did for Sanchez, just insanity.

    I want Sanchez off my team as soon as possible, and probably so does he. He'll be out of the league shortly, kicking back in California the proud owner of a string of In-Out Burger franchises.

    But next year is lost too....also, the Draft is extra weak for QB's this year...oh course haha..The Man Upstairs knows the Jets need a QB.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    And yet somehow he "fit" on a D that won a Super Bowl. I'll never understand the mentality of trying to fit players into your system instead of designing a system to fit the players you have.
    A guy coaches for 20 years and believes the best way to win is his system. Why would he not play his system? It is his strength, Your taking away the strength of coach because one or two players, who may get injured or leave as a free agent.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan16 View Post
    Your biggest gripes with Tannenbaum are that Danny Woodhead, Alan Faneca, and Howard ****ing Green are no longer Jets in 2012?

    Faneca was still a very good player at the time the Jets let him go, but there's no way he would still be good in 2012. Howard Green and Danny Woodhead are bums that caught on with great teams, and have never really done anything, so what exactly is your point? And yes, Tebow blows and there was never a reason to trade for him, but most people had that figured out 7 months ago.
    My gripe (in addition to the points in the article) was about constant roster changes that have had impact to the team, the line has never been as good since Faneca left, they had something special and now they have an average line, and while I agree Faneca's individual play had declined, you cannot put a number on team chemistry, the last couple of years we have watched uninspired play and the GM has to be held accountable

    All of the players I mentioned were not superstars but team players, vocal leaders that helped light a fire, and I did not mention Kerry for that reason... just my opinion but do you think the Jets played like a team with a single mission last Sunday?
    Last edited by Ohio State NY Jets fan; 10-31-2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: peace

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    A guy coaches for 20 years and believes the best way to win is his system. Why would he not play his system? It is his strength, Your taking away the strength of coach because one or two players, who may get injured or leave as a free agent.

    So if your offensive system is "ground and pound" and you had Peyton Manning in his prime, would you trade him? What if a "4-3" coach had Lawrence Taylor in his prime, the prototypical 3-4 OLB... trade him too?

    The best coaches adapt their systems to play to the strengths of what they have. Pat Riley went from "Showtime" in LA to ugly, plodding, defensive basketball with the Knicks. And he went back to the Finals.
    Last edited by Toooon; 10-31-2012 at 08:12 AM.

  12. #32
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    44,947
    Quote Originally Posted by PaPZ187 View Post
    We received a 4th, that became a 3rd round pick ultimately (IIRC) for Vilma, who was coming off a knee injury.

    Yeah there have been some bad moves, and I was a fan of Vilma, but unfortunately just like Abraham neither fit Mangini's 3-4 Defense which is why they were ultimately traded away.

    Sent from my LG-P999
    As a rookie Abe had 4 1/2 sacks in 6 games in the 3-4 before he went out with a sports hernia.. Vilma stunk on ice in the 3-4 though..

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF View Post
    Agreed, for the most part.

    Problem is, Tannenbaum will never play hard ball with him. Why? Because the shyster gave him that guaranteed money in 2013 to make sure that HE, Tannenbaum, had a job in 2013. This is the only way I can even try to understand Tannenbaum's actions. You give a QB that kind of money who is at the bottom of the league 3 years straight? Who has NEVER, EVER gotten hot and taken over a SINGLE GAME in that 3 years. That to me is the most telling that he was, is, and will be tomorrow a fraud as a starting QB in the NFL.

    Baltimore wouldn't do for Joe Flacco what Tannenbaum did for Sanchez, just insanity.

    I want Sanchez off my team as soon as possible, and probably so does he. He'll be out of the league shortly, kicking back in California the proud owner of a string of In-Out Burger franchises.

    But next year is lost too....also, the Draft is extra weak for QB's this year...oh course haha..The Man Upstairs knows the Jets need a QB.
    There is NO hardball to play.

    He has no incentive to give up his money and no player or owner holds a grudge against a player for not giving up his contracted salary. Players only restructure when it's in their best interest (or harmless to their bottom line), that's the way the league is.

    Owners will mock Tanny for extending Sanchez for no logical reason...

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    There is NO hardball to play.

    He has no incentive to give up his money and no player or owner holds a grudge against a player for not giving up his contracted salary. Players only restructure when it's in their best interest (or harmless to their bottom line), that's the way the league is.

    Owners will mock Tanny for extending Sanchez for no logical reason...
    It is not a lack of logic ... Sackchez was never worth the $$$$ Tanny failed to realize this. You don't pay the worst starting player at his position hat kind of $$$ no matter what.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    So if your offensive system is "ground and pound" and you had Peyton Manning in his prime, would you trade him? What if a "4-3" coach had Lawrence Taylor in his prime, the prototypical 3-4 OLB... trade him too?

    The best coaches adapt their systems to play to the strengths of what they have. Pat Riley went from "Showtime" in LA to ugly, plodding, defensive basketball with the Knicks. And he went back to the Finals.
    Well if you have once in a generation players, who may be considered the best to ever have played thier positions, no. But for a 225lb MLB who made the probowl once in the 4 years and was diagnosed with a degenative knee conditon after being on IR the 2nd half of the season is not even in the same ball park.

    And it is the GM that picks and trades players. In 90% of the cases the GM discusses with the new coach how to utilize the existing talent.

    Don't equate a 5 man basketball game where teamwork is a sometime valid concept to the need of having 11 people play together at all times and in a sport with guaranteed contracts with one that does not.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    As a rookie Abe had 4 1/2 sacks in 6 games in the 3-4 before he went out with a sports hernia.. Vilma stunk on ice in the 3-4 though..
    Mangini did not want to pay the big bucks required for Abe due to the inconsistent effort.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us