Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Relax on Firing Rex

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Relax on Firing Rex

People dont know how good we have it.

You name me one coach in the last 20 years other then Belicheat that has a winning record every year.

The only other exception might be Tony Dungy.

But they have/had Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

Teams are up and down every year. It would be dumb at this point to fire Rex after this season. Give the guy time to continue to get players and build a team. Teams arent built over night.

It appears to me the team has changed it style a bit with building a team. We are relying less on free agents and more on our drafts. That transition takes time. There is a lot of young talent on this team.

I am a Sanchez supporter but I would much rather see a change at QB next season then see a change at HEAD COACH!

I believe what this team is missing or the mistake Rex has made is at running back. His plan is ground and pound and how he plans to do that without investing heavily in a real running back is something I dont understand.

I believe that is where the big change will be next year. This team will some way some how find itself a true bell cow.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If his plan is still to ground and pound, then he can't be fired fast enough for me.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    8-8 is not a "winning" year, and yet it is going to look awfully good after the results of this season is in.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not saying fire Rex but that's a pretty broad period...compare coaches for their first 4 or so years would be better.

Andy Reid for instance won 5, then 11, then 11, then 12, then 12 , then 13 games as head coach of Philly

Coughlin won 4, then 9, then 11, then 11, then 14 games

Tomlin won 10, 12, 9, 12, 12

Jim Harbaugh has gone 11,9,12,12

I'm not saying they're better than Rex but to say Rex has been "about the only coach" to do well, isn't true.

You want your teams to trend upward.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Herman Edwards' record through four seasons was 35-29, and most people didn't want him back for a fifth year.

Rex is currently 31-25. Are you really confident he'll finish with a better record over his first four years than Herm?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Herman Edwards' record through four seasons was 35-29, and most people didn't want him back for a fifth year.

Rex is currently 31-25. Are you really confident he'll finish with a better record over his first four years than Herm?

That is a good comparison but that is overall record. Herm had some bad seasons and made some poor decisions with players.

Rex has also had more post season success which must be considered.

Jets need to stick with Rex which I think they will unless something big changes

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Herm had a better QB, but he couldn't stay healthy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If his plan is still to ground and pound, then he can't be fired fast enough for me.
    The problem isn't the record, the problem is the philosophy. He's attempting to build a team the opposite way the league is trending.

All of the rules and officiating are structured to allow for more of wide open passing game, yet he's insisting on "ground and pound"

He traded up to draft a QB #5 overall, yet is asking him to be a game manager (could pay a journey-man QB half of what Sanchez gets to perform the job at a much higher level)

I think the point is as a fan that watches the league closely you can't just look at the record, you have to look at his decisions and the way the team plays.

Additionally way too often his team comes out completely unprepared and get's blown off the ball early. (even in the AFC Championship game)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    His teams are becoming more and more unprepared each week. Not to mention undisciplined. Two blowouts at home within a month-Inexcusable! He and his staff don't teach and develop their players, many have regressed. Time for Rex to go! His shelf life has expired.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    His teams are becoming more and more unprepared each week. Not to mention undisciplined. Two blowouts at home within a month-Inexcusable! He and his staff don't teach and develop their players, many have regressed. Time for Rex to go! His shelf life has expired.
    Excellent point.

The Jets run their mouths all week long in their usual, "we're gonna hurt you if we can ever actually get our hands on you" punk-***** fashion, and then when Bush breaks a big gainer, what does Cromartie do? Tack on an additional 15 with a stupid, stupid penalty. I don't care if RB grabbed his facemask or not.

Way to set the tone, Rex. You run your mouth, these guys run their mouths, and then it translates onto the field and you're down 17-0 before you can blink.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex wants to take no responsibility or part of the offense... That's what is going to kill this team and is killing this team... He just wants to pawn it off on a coordinator and take no part....

Parcells did that his first year w/ the NYG... Got him 3-13... After that he said **** it... If I'm going down, I'm going to have my hand on every part of the team...

Rex doesn't do that... Guy has one good game, and Rex calls him the best in the league...

One good guy w/ Parcells, and it's "don't put him in canton yet fellas..."

totally different...

Why does Rex feel the need to blow air in everyone's tires? I hate that.

I also hate it that he came out w a straight face after the game and read Sanchez's stats and talked about how he had a good game w/ all his garbage time yardage...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex will be a HOF coach, either here or somewhere else. I don't want to see us get rid of him only to watch him lead another team to the Lombardi trophy just so I can say, "Same old Jets, we always let the good ones slip away."

Building an NFL team takes time while we all want it right now. Rex deserves at least 3 years after they hire a good GM or give him the role.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalChampion View Post
    Rex will be a HOF coach, either here or somewhere else. I don't want to see us get rid of him only to watch him lead another team to the Lombardi trophy just so I can say, "Same old Jets, we always let the good ones slip away."

Building an NFL team takes time while we all want it right now. Rex deserves at least 3 years after they hire a good GM or give him the role.
    I keep waiting for the punchline with you. But it never comes.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't get behind firing him even if we only win 5-6 games. We've had far worse coaches in the past and he's still one of the better coaches in the league (especially on D). This may end up being a very rough year and he'll certainly be under the gun in 2013. I'd can Tannenbaum and get rid of Sanchez (to the extent possible) in a second though.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I keep waiting for the punchline with you. But it never comes.
    That's because a difference of opinion isn't a joke. Look, whoever comes through the door for the Jets ends up being blamed sooner than later for problems that are beyond them. Coaches, GM's, quarterbacks, coordinators, owners. You name it, we want to can them and get some guy that we've heard of and think would do a better job in their place. Hell, we wanted Mangini gone and now we want Mangini to replace Rex?? You can't constantly fire everyone, you have to pick who to improve on and who has potential to improve on you. Rex is one of the good guys. Rex is not the problem, but Rex can be the solution.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He inherited a talented team from Mangini. They spent big money on FA and had some success. Now that team has gotten old or are FA. Andhe is not have anywhere near the same success.

You have to look at the team and their effort and their attitude after 3 1/2 years. Is this what you want to see, and do you think the HC is the guy that can turn this around.

I think Rex has to be kept on for one more year as no Coach such as Cowher or Gruden will be willing to step into the FA/Cap situation the jets are in this off season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Not in favor of firing him, but his seat should be getting warm. We look bad on offense, defense and special teams. The poor play of the defense in particular is unacceptable - that's supposed to be Rex's specialty and we used our 1st round pick on defense the past three years in a row, yet we keep getting worse.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalChampion View Post

BBBBBWWWWAAAAAAAHHHHAAAAAAAA

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    Herm had a better QB, but he couldn't stay healthy.
    Nearly every team has a better QB then we do!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't get rid of Sanchez... He's a hall of fame qb... I don't want to see "same old jets... letting him get away..."