Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: " Fixing jets' QB mess must come in next draft " ~ ~ ~

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think people realize how bad mark is , or how good romo is.

For example mark Sanchez has been somewhere around 31st, or 32nd statistically according to dvoa.

Tony romo was a top 5 ranked qb last year in dvoa, that had a 3:1 td to int ratio and completes 65-percent of his passes.

Put tony room on this team right now and we are a superbowl contender. Put romo on this team a few years ago and we might have had a sb win already.

If romo is avail, you get him immediately.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post
    I don't think people realize how bad mark is , or how good romo is.

For example mark Sanchez has been somewhere around 31st, or 32nd statistically according to dvoa.

Tony romo was a top 5 ranked qb last year in dvoa, that had a 3:1 td to int ratio and completes 65-percent of his passes.

Put tony room on this team right now and we are a superbowl contender. Put romo on this team a few years ago and we might have had a sb win already.

If romo is avail, you get him immediately.
    Agreed. The guy is having a bad season right now, but he is playing for a mess of a head coach and that team just always seems to underwhelm in all phases. Put him with a good D, which I think Rex can field next season, a solid coaching staff, and maybe upgrade a weapon or 2 and I'd love to see what Romo could do here. At only 33 next season, he would give you a 3-4 year window of potentially top 10 QB play. Worth a chance over Sanchez, where we know it will be bottom tier QB play regardless of who or what he is surrounded with.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Agreed. The guy is having a bad season right now, but he is playing for a mess of a head coach and that team just always seems to underwhelm in all phases. Put him with a good D, which I think Rex can field next season, a solid coaching staff, and maybe upgrade a weapon or 2 and I'd love to see what Romo could do here. At only 33 next season, he would give you a 3-4 year window of potentially top 10 QB play. Worth a chance over Sanchez, where we know it will be bottom tier QB play regardless of who or what he is surrounded with.

I'm not enamored of Romo, but let's say I was. WHY in the name of God would he want to come to the Jets? And Dallas replaces him with who?
    1. He has a good receiving corp in Dallas - better WRs and TE than the Jets - BY FAR.
    2. He has a complementary running game there. The Jets have zip.
    3. The Jets coaches? Sparano is some intellectual? Rex doesn't know or care offense.
    4. What is this Jet's defense? The talent is coming from where exactly? The Jets probably have more O talent than D talent. Even if Revis does/can come back.

Jets have dug a hole with Sanchez. How to get out? Got me.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not enamored of Romo, but let's say I was. WHY in the name of God would he want to come to the Jets?
    This is his pay day year. He is 33 and any team willing to give him 100 mil he'd listen too. Dallas has great WRs and not much else that amounts to them ending this year with a top ten draft pick. They have some good young players and can build a winning team if they add a few more. They are pretty much in the same boat as us right now but have already lost with Romo. It is simply time for them to move on. If Dallas doesn't make the PO and the likely hood of them keeping him is very minimal.

And Dallas replaces him with who?
    They actually signed his temp replacement last year and he is making a heck of a lot less the Romo. They can draft their future and still have a good vet QB in Orton without spending 100 mil. You really think if Jones see Barkley he doesn't bite?
    Jets have dug a hole with Sanchez. How to get out?
    Jets have a few options most of which sucks. We can trade a 1st for Romo or Cutler and give them a 100mil deal(hard to do but it can be done.). Wait for Philly to cut Vick and pick him up. Or simply do the right thing and draft anther QB shooting at building a real future. Sanchez is not the future and if you dont take a good QB now you might not find one next year. A.J. McCarron, Aaron Murray, Derek Carr! Next years class is really really bad IMO. So your either talking find at least a 2 year patch or draft a new guy. Bottom line. Saying let give Sanchez or Tebow next year and call it a pass just doesn't work for the team.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ooops

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~ ~ 1. Peeking at QB Class of '13 :
    This is a public service for those who don't believe Mark Sanchez is the answer. If the Jets come to the same conclusion, they will have a hard time finding the solution in the draft. Todd McShay, Mel Kiper and Scouts Inc. are in agreement that only two prospects are worthy of the first round -- Geno Smith (West Virginia) and Matt Barkley (USC). There are always late risers, but at this point, there are no Andrew Luck-Robert Griffin III-type quarterbacks. The Jets need to make it work with Sanchez, which might explain why Rex Ryan is so hesitant to pull him.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...sunday-notes-5

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    This is his pay day year. He is 33 and any team willing to give him 100 mil he'd listen too. Dallas has great WRs and not much else that amounts to them ending this year with a top ten draft pick. They have some good young players and can build a winning team if they add a few more. They are pretty much in the same boat as us right now but have already lost with Romo. It is simply time for them to move on. If Dallas doesn't make the PO and the likely hood of them keeping him is very minimal.

They actually signed his temp replacement last year and he is making a heck of a lot less the Romo. They can draft their future and still have a good vet QB in Orton without spending 100 mil. You really think if Jones see Barkley he doesn't bite?

Jets have a few options most of which sucks. We can trade a 1st for Romo or Cutler and give them a 100mil deal(hard to do but it can be done.). Wait for Philly to cut Vick and pick him up. Or simply do the right thing and draft anther QB shooting at building a real future. Sanchez is not the future and if you dont take a good QB now you might not find one next year. A.J. McCarron, Aaron Murray, Derek Carr! Next years class is really really bad IMO. So your either talking find at least a 2 year patch or draft a new guy. Bottom line. Saying let give Sanchez or Tebow next year and call it a pass just doesn't work for the team.
    First, no you cant trade a first for Romo or Cutler. And you could not fit them under your cap if you wanted to. Chicago is not going to take one first rd when they just gave two #1s plus Orton to get him.

The jets need a real vet QB to come in- my choice would be Jason Campbell, I would give him a 3 year 10 mill contract with a guarantee for an open competition in camp.

I would draft a EJ Manuel or a Mike Glennon in the 3rd as a developmental QB

Tim Tebow will be asked to become a H-back, With Keller a FA there is going to be a spot and if he dedicates himself to the job, I think he will succeed.

Then, if Sanchez wins the battle, he takes the reins, but if he stumbles during the season the jets have a pro to put in.

I am assuming the jets will finish 6-9 and draft around #12.

Trade back twice to around 22 picking up a extra 2nd and 3rd.

22 Barret Jones Oline
    44 Dallas Thomas G/T
    48 Tony Jefferson FS
    74 Manuel/Glennon
    82 Shawn Williams SS
    110 Jelani Jenkins. Coverage LB
    144 Michael Dyer RB

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll wouldn't use a 1st on the qbs in this class.. But I would use a 2nd rd pick on Landry Jones out of Oklahoma.. Prototype Arm and Size..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    I'll wouldn't use a 1st on the qbs in this class.. But I would use a 2nd rd pick on Landry Jones out of Oklahoma.. Prototype Arm and Size..
    a 4th...
    nothing higher/more

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    First, no you cant trade a first for Romo or Cutler. And you could not fit them under your cap if you wanted to. Chicago is not going to take one first rd when they just gave two #1s plus Orton to get him.

The jets need a real vet QB to come in- my choice would be Jason Campbell, I would give him a 3 year 10 mill contract with a guarantee for an open competition in camp.

Tim Tebow will be asked to become a H-back, With Keller a FA there is going to be a spot and if he dedicates himself to the job, I think he will succeed.

Then, if Sanchez wins the battle, he takes the reins, but if he stumbles during the season the jets have a pro to put in.

22 Barret Jones Oline
    44 Dallas Thomas G/T
    48 Tony Jefferson FS
    74 Manuel/Glennon
    82 Shawn Williams SS
    144 Michael Dyer RB
    See the problem what you wrote here is that it makes to much sense and a few of us said this samething only to be pillored out here..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post

22 Barret Jones Oline
    44 Dallas Thomas G/T
    48 Tony Jefferson FS
    74 Manuel/Glennon
    82 Shawn Williams SS
    144 Michael Dyer RB
    We can sign one big FA next year and this team has shown it does that with QBs. We've had this convo and we have a lot more space then you seem to realize. Yeah more likely we end up with Vick, bah but would you really put it by them doing anther JETS patent QB trade for Romo? As for your draft last year yes I'd be right with you on a trade back. This year the top 20 will be far better then the rest of the field so sorry no. I will take a Mongomery or Manti Te'o over anyone 3 players we can grab in the 2nd and 3rd. Oh and if we go anther draft where we don't pick a power OLB in the 1st 3 I will throw something at Tanny I swear. 3 years now it has been our biggest issue and hasn't been addressed. We can resign Moore cheap and this is a deep G class. Drafting 2 Gs back to back is not the way to go. I'd be fine with someone like Bailey or Uzzi in the 3rd.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unless Tanny, Rex and the entire coaching staff are replaced. They can draft the second coming of Joe Montana and these guys would turn him into crap.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Reasons to Stick With Mark Sanchez

The Jets won't make a quarterback change and we take a look at why

You get the feeling that the Jets might have dodged a little bit of a bullet this week with the arrival of Sandy.With the arrival of a real disaster, there's no time or inclination to spend much time screaming about a sports one so Sunday's blowout loss to the Dolphins and the team's subsequent decision to stick with Mark Sanchez at quarterback were merely acknowledged. That's exactly as it should be and not just because of the massive gulf of importance between storms and football.The other reason is because it is very easy to understand why the Jets aren't making a change at quarterback even though the bye week would be the perfect time to switch gears to Tim Tebow. We've laid out a few of the reasons why the Jets have decided to keep rolling with Sanchez, along with counterpoints to each of them should you feel the need to fuel a movement to get the Jets to move on from their former golden boy as he scuffles the way through his fourth year.

1. It's Not All His Fault - This is something that comes up often when Rex Ryan and Tony Sparano talk about Sanchez's play and you certainly can't fault its honesty. The line has had its struggles, the running game has been quieter than anyone might have liked and Stephen Hill, Mike Tannenbaum's big second-round pick to help the passing game, can't catch the ball.This certainly isn't a case of Sanchez driving a fully loaded Ferrari into the embankment. No one would blame Martin Scorsese for making a bad movie while using a cast and crew made up of third graders.

Counterpoint - Quarterbacks have raised the level of play among their teammates plenty of times in the history of the NFL and they continue to do it today. Sanchez isn't solely to blame for what's gone wrong, but there's not much positive to be said about a quarterback who can't succeed unless conditions are absolutely perfect.

2. Progress - Another constant line from the coaches is that Sanchez is showing improvement at this or that part of his game. It usually goes hand in hand with it not all being his fault.

Counterpoint - There's no statistical evidence that Sanchez is getting better. You'd be hard-pressed to sell claims that watching him play leaves a different impression.

3. Stubborn Rex - If Ryan pulls the plug now, he knows that there will be no way to go back to Sanchez and no way to get back whatever he loses in terms of credibility after such full-throated support of Sanchez over the years. Call it loyalty if you prefer a more positive spin, but there's no question that Rex would be more exposed without Sanchez out front to take hits for him.

Counterpoint - Good coaches don't worry about possible credibility loss (they don't overpromise at every turn either) because they know when changes have to be made. The less charitable spin is that Rex is using Sanchez as protection for himself.

4. The Tebow Conundrum - Putting Tebow into the starting lineup and watching him pull off another winning streak like last year would make it very difficult for the Jets to enter next season (barring Peyton Manning hitting the market again) without any quarterback other than Tebow as their starter. Like plenty of others, Ryan and Sparano don't seem to think that's a viable long-term strategy and that might be pushing them to resist a player who was obviously forced upon them in the first place.

Counterpoint - You aren't winning. Change that now and worry about the rest later.

Josh Alper is also a writer for Pro Football Talk. You can follow him on Twitter.

> http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/sport...176571551.html