Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Politically Speaking, Sandy was the BEST thing that could happen for Obama.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Politically Speaking, Sandy was the BEST thing that could happen for Obama.

The Storm (and no one will admit this) was the evry best thing that could happen for Obama.

1. It takes the attention away from Libya and the Economy, and puts it on the Storm and the Storm Cleanup, where Obama can do literally nothing, and still gain by "looking Presidential" and "looking compassionate".

Instead of having to answer anything about the various scandals, and the (IMO) politics-based cover-up of what happened in Libya and who did what when in the Administration and chain-of-command, the President now effectively gets a free-ride till past election day, with FOX/Radio being the only exception, and exception that won't effect the vote.

2. It freezes Romney out, and freezes him in place. Anything he does from now till election day will be portrayed as craven politics in a time of real human tragedy. Just look at how his clothing/food drive was treated by the media.

3. Christie, by playing his own political long-game for 2016, and giving the President such over-the-top praise, serves two purposes, both great for Obama.

First, it makes Obama look very Presidential and "Bi-Partisan" in a time of need. It gives the media something to chew on for the next week, the "Obama the Saviour who even Christie can love" man in charge and in control and trustworthy.

Second, it provides a very stark differentiation between Bush/Katrina and Obama/Sandy, even though if you really went down the list of actual actions taken by the two Presidents in both situations, you'd be very hard pressed to find any material differences in their actions and directions.

4. It gives Obama two new, powerful temporally, talking points:

First, Americans crumbling and poorly invested infrastructure, i.e. if only we'd have spent more and built more (by Government), much damage and much life would have been spared.

Second, Global Warming/Climate Change and the Future of SuperDeathStorms. Despite the fact that a number of climate scientists have come out publicly and stated that Climate Change was not a factor in Sandy forming or it's path, a number of others are clearly using every weather event as "proof of climate change as end of world" to push that agenda in terms everyday people can understand.

5. Finally, although it may damage voting due to the devastation, it does so only in very strongly (D) States that will not be won by Romney regardless, and could even be used as a talking point/proof for why ID's aren't required a la "look at New York and NJ, they were able to still have a perfectly fraud free election despite the devastation, and they didn;t have to show ID's!!!"

Frankly, in pure political terms, Sandy was possibly the best thing that could happen for the sitting President. It's political effects are all positive, the media will reinforce all the positives and raise no negatives, storm-related or otherwise, and Romney is not effectively silent for the last two weeks of the election apart from his TV ads.

I thought the election would be close, with an Obama victory. I still think it'll be sorta close, but I'm confident now that Obama will will handily in electoral college terms.

Game over.

Better start working for 2016, the Christie v. Clinton election.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're heading into C*pernicus territory here.

The storm is already old news, with most infrastructure damage confined to derelict boardwalks and seaside carnivals.

How the un-mighty have fallen further below the floorboards.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    The Storm (and no one will admit this) was the evry best thing that could happen for Obama.

1. It takes the attention away from Libya and the Economy, and puts it on the Storm and the Storm Cleanup, where Obama can do literally nothing, and still gain by "looking Presidential" and "looking compassionate".

Instead of having to answer anything about the various scandals, and the (IMO) politics-based cover-up of what happened in Libya and who did what when in the Administration and chain-of-command, the President now effectively gets a free-ride till past election day, with FOX/Radio being the only exception, and exception that won't effect the vote.

2. It freezes Romney out, and freezes him in place. Anything he does from now till election day will be portrayed as craven politics in a time of real human tragedy. Just look at how his clothing/food drive was treated by the media.

3. Christie, by playing his own political long-game for 2016, and giving the President such over-the-top praise, serves two purposes, both great for Obama.

First, it makes Obama look very Presidential and "Bi-Partisan" in a time of need. It gives the media something to chew on for the next week, the "Obama the Saviour who even Christie can love" man in charge and in control and trustworthy.

Second, it provides a very stark differentiation between Bush/Katrina and Obama/Sandy, even though if you really went down the list of actual actions taken by the two Presidents in both situations, you'd be very hard pressed to find any material differences in their actions and directions.

4. It gives Obama two new, powerful temporally, talking points:

First, Americans crumbling and poorly invested infrastructure, i.e. if only we'd have spent more and built more (by Government), much damage and much life would have been spared.

Second, Global Warming/Climate Change and the Future of SuperDeathStorms. Despite the fact that a number of climate scientists have come out publicly and stated that Climate Change was not a factor in Sandy forming or it's path, a number of others are clearly using every weather event as "proof of climate change as end of world" to push that agenda in terms everyday people can understand.

5. Finally, although it may damage voting due to the devastation, it does so only in very strongly (D) States that will not be won by Romney regardless, and could even be used as a talking point/proof for why ID's aren't required a la "look at New York and NJ, they were able to still have a perfectly fraud free election despite the devastation, and they didn;t have to show ID's!!!"

Frankly, in pure political terms, Sandy was possibly the best thing that could happen for the sitting President. It's political effects are all positive, the media will reinforce all the positives and raise no negatives, storm-related or otherwise, and Romney is not effectively silent for the last two weeks of the election apart from his TV ads.

I thought the election would be close, with an Obama victory. I still think it'll be sorta close, but I'm confident now that Obama will will handily in electoral college terms.

Game over.

Better start working for 2016, the Christie v. Clinton election.
    Nailed it

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just look at how his clothing/food drive was treated by the media.
    A very lol-worthy drive:

When Mitt Romney's campaign made the hasty decision to transform yesterday's planned Ohio campaign event into a Hurricane Sandy disaster relief rally, they were afraid no one would get the message in time to bring donations, hence ruining the photo-op. So campaign aides ran to Walmart the night before and bought $5,000 worth of supplies like granola bars, canned food, and diapers, sources tell Buzzfeed. To greet Romney, supporters had to hand him some donation, but if they didn't have one, they were told to "just grab something" from the pile of pre-purchased groceries.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    A very lol-worthy drive:
    LOL at this phony.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It may have been, until about 3:00 PM today when NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg gave a "surprise" to everyone by endorsing Barack Obama for a second Presidential term citing climate change as the reason.

The problem is that about two hours before Bloomberg's "surprise" endorsement, NYS Charles Schumer announced that FEMA will pay 100% for New York's clean up costs from Hurricane Sandy.

100%?

Is this normal? So quickly? Will voters outside of New York see this as a bribe and get angry that THEIR tax payer money is paying 100% of New York's clean up costs in exchange for Bloomberg's endorsement of Obama?

Below is also what Bloomberg said in his "surprise" endorsement which isn't very complimentary to Obama:

"Even in his endorsement, the mayor continued to express criticism of the president. He said that Mr. Obama had fallen short of his 2008 campaign promise to be a problem-solver and consensus builder, noting that he “devoted little time” to creating a coalition of centrists in Washington who could find common ground on important issues like illegal guns, immigration, tax reform and deficit reduction."

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    1) yes that's what the feds do thru FEMA in such natural disasters

2) It will be the same for New Jersey a d it's Rep Governor.

3) Mayor Bloomberg is a Republican...not a right-wing wing nutjob but still a Republican.

4) Willard may as well spend the next four days campaigning in Switzerland and preparing to return to his real job at Bain outsourcing American jobs to his large Chinese investments

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the Fist.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post

3) Mayor Bloomberg is a Republican...not a right-wing wing nutjob but still a Republican.

4) Willard may as well spend the next four days campaigning in Switzerland and preparing to return to his real job at Bain outsourcing American jobs to his large Chinese investments

You sure?

I could swear that the tornados that hit the mid-west last Spring there was no immediate FEMA assistance. Matter of fact, there wasn't much FEMA assistance at all because FEMA claimed they were broke!

FEMA denies aid for tornado-ravaged Southern Illinois

http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/...418/story.html

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am really not interested in this thread. A brave mother sits, somewhere, shocked out of her mind because of this storm.

I don't want the bickering over Obama's response.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well said Warfish. I thought Romney was going to roll but now my mo ey is on Obama to win as well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    I am really not interested in this thread. A brave mother sits, somewhere, shocked out of her mind because of this storm.

You're a good man WCO but it's the truth. If I have to see that obese blowhard on the Ed Show politicize this might as well talk about it here.
    Last edited by HessStation; 11-01-2012 at 08:36 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Wrong as usual Skippy. FEMA typically pays 75% and the state and local areas pay the balance. Anything beyond that is exceptional. Sandy may require separate Congressionally approved funding as well.

Here are 2 exceptions.
    http://www.fema.gov/news-release/fem...stance-costs-0

http://www.fema.gov/news-release/pre...debris-removal

Bloomberg is not a Republican. Look something up for a change. He left 5 years ago.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HessStation View Post
    Well said Warfish. I thought Romney was going to roll but now my mo ey is on Obama to win as well.
    Don't change your opinion because this particular thread is full of lib pukes

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of rotten pukes, how about you stop your namecalling. I know it hurts you that you boy Willard is going down the tubes. I'm sorry for you. But don't blame me. I didnt tell the party to nominate flip flopping Mike Dukakis Part II instead of a Conservative with principles

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Exibit A of:

2. It freezes Romney out, and freezes him in place. Anything he does from now till election day will be portrayed as craven politics in a time of real human tragedy.
    Now even the mere discussion of politics right now is (apparently) inappropriate.

Yet, you'll notice, the same person saying it is reading and replying to political threads in a politics forum.

Thank you WCO, for the example. While I don't doubt your heartfelt message of compassion, regretfully the Election is still Tuesday, and will still be contested, and Obama's actions (although not part of this thread in any meaningful way, which is about the overall political ramification of the Storm) are as up for discussion as Bush's were post-Katrina.

I do appreciate you dropping in tho.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I agree with the Fist.
    Whoa! Sandy no longer transcends mere politics? What happened, BR?

Warfish: Obama is the most overexposed politician in this country's history - and probably the planet's; he has proven himself to be more pedestrian than persuasive too many times to count. For voters who've seen his act before Sandy isn't anything more than another photo op - he'll get more mileage out of the Jay-Z concert in Columbus.

But I have to say what really stands out in your breakdown was this: I thought the election would be close, with an Obama victory.

When did go from Romney has not even the slightest shot in hell to "close"? I certainly missed you conceding a single thing to Romney.

Prior to the Romney "surge" (which was inevitable, imo) there existed a lazy, conventional narrative saying that the key to this contest would be to win the "independent vote".

Once Romney won the independent vote, and he is killing the independent vote - by double digits, the media has been quick to focus on other topics; this parallels the shift of yesterday's "battleground" states are today's "lean Romney".

This is a very simple voting bloc, one that is sick of high unemployment and a crap economy - not even President Houdini could pull re-election out of this bind.

Don't overthink it. This election was sealed a long time ago - and voters chose Romney specifically in droves this past month. Obama and Christie playing Maverick and Goose on washed out barrier islands is already yesterday's news. And don't think Christie was ever not 100% aware of political implications; he big-timed the Atlantic City mayor into chump status for max effect.
    Last edited by sackdance; 11-01-2012 at 10:59 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of rotten pukes, how about you stop your namecalling. I know it hurts you that you boy Willard is going down the tubes. I'm sorry for you. But don't blame me. I didnt tell the party to nominate flip flopping Mike Dukakis Part II instead of a Conservative with principles

Have you ever admitted to being wrong

You never say, "you got me, I didn't know what I was talking about..."

For a guy that's wrong as much as you are, I figure I'd see it once in a while... But nope, never...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh f*ck the politicians and their responses.

If anyone feels like contributing directly to good people who were victimized by this storm then how about a fiver for my cousins whose house burned down in Breezy Point? https://www.wepay.com/donations/1129182125

The fire raged from G through the J blocks in Breezy. As well as elsewhere. But the G through the J blocks were the brunt of the fire.

From Facebook: """I am Mikes sister. I can tell you Mike and Marie and their families are amazing people. It doesn't surprise me that the night of the hurricane they were hosting several people from their block. When the decision was made to leave their house they had people in kayaks, kids on booie boards. The house was filled w/people, pitch black and BECAUSE OF THE SMOKE, they evacuated....can you IMAGINE THE CHAOS...THEY SWAM IN CHEST HIGH WATER TO SAFETY. As they swam away they realized the roof was on fire. By the time they reached a safe haven, their house was gone. Pictures, movies along with everything and anything are gone..FYI Mike and Marie have hosted several benefits for other in need....now they need your help. No donation too small. Everything will be appredciated.
    God Bless you all."""

There were no deaths, and no injuries I know of - but close family lost a home in a maelstrom that burned down scores of homes.

Jet fans, too (mostly).

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    Whoa! Sandy no longer transcends mere politics? What happened, BR?

Warfish: Obama is the most overexposed politician in this country's history - and probably the planet's; he has proven himself to be more pedestrian than persuasive too many times to count. For voters who've seen his act before Sandy isn't anything more than another photo op - he'll get more mileage out of the Jay-Z concert in Columbus.

But I have to say what really stands out in your breakdown was this: I thought the election would be close, with an Obama victory.

When did go from Romney has not even the slightest shot in hell to "close"? I certainly missed you conceding a single thing to Romney.

Prior to the Romney "surge" (which was inevitable, imo) there existed a lazy, conventional narrative saying that the key to this contest would be to win the "independent vote".

Once Romney won the independent vote, and he is killing the independent vote - by double digits, the media has been quick to focus on other topics; this parallels the shift of yesterday's "battleground" states are today's "lean Romney".

This is a very simple voting bloc, one that is sick of high unemployment and a crap economy - not even President Houdini could pull re-election out of this bind.

Don't overthink it. This election was sealed a long time ago - and voters chose Romney specifically in droves this past month. Obama and Christie playing Maverick and Goose on washed out barrier islands is already yesterday's news. And don't think Christie was ever not 100% aware of political implications; he big-timed the Atlantic City mayor into chump status for max effect.
    Agree to disagree, and we'll see.

You've been declaring it "in the bag" for Romney for a long while now, something simply not reflected in any polling or any other indicator, even now. While I have my doubts about the accuracy of polling, the all but universal nature of Romney as underdog makes it certainly less "sure thing landslide" than you seem to assume it will be.

But we'll see. 5 days, and we'll know. If Romney wins by 5%, you'll be right. If Romney loses, the polling will be right.