Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 56

Thread: Couple of clear concise points about Rex and the team.

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I disagree with this. First, Sanchez cannot be traded or cut most likely and will be on the roster next season. Nobody wants to trade for him and the cap hit for cutting him is worse than just keeping him. Whether he starts remains to be seen, I hope not. Second, I don't see how you can say he was the right pick at the time. Jury is very much out on Freeman v. Sanchez, I see Freeman having himself a nice season and he clearly outplayed Mark in the regular season in 2010 as well. Sanchez was drafted by a much better team and had opportunities to play in playoff games because of that (which he did take advantage of). Clemens ended up sucking, true, but overall there is nothing that tells me the Jets were absolutely correct in trading up to #5 to pick a west coast QB that wasn't that great in college. There were plenty of other options between the time we drafted him and now that could have resulted in us currently having a better player at the position.
    Exactly, is not like Rex or any of the fans thought that the jets were going to make the playoffs with a rookie qb, hell even Rex didn't with 3 games to go.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I disagree with this. First, Sanchez cannot be traded or cut most likely and will be on the roster next season. Nobody wants to trade for him and the cap hit for cutting him is worse than just keeping him. Whether he starts remains to be seen, I hope not. Second, I don't see how you can say he was the right pick at the time. Jury is very much out on Freeman v. Sanchez, I see Freeman having himself a nice season and he clearly outplayed Mark in the regular season in 2010 as well. Sanchez was drafted by a much better team and had opportunities to play in playoff games because of that (which he did take advantage of). Clemens ended up sucking, true, but overall there is nothing that tells me the Jets were absolutely correct in trading up to #5 to pick a west coast QB that wasn't that great in college. There were plenty of other options between the time we drafted him and now that could have resulted in us currently having a better player at the position.
    Give me the options, then. Come on.

    Stafford was gone already. Freeman and Sanchez were the other two QBs drafted in that first round.

    But again, it goes back to how do we judge QBs. Stats or Wins?
    Last edited by Eckesg1; 11-02-2012 at 09:47 AM.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Give me the options, then. Come on.

    Stafford was gone already. Freeman and Sanchez were the other two QBs drafted in that first round.

    But again, it goes back to how do we judge QBs. Stats or Wins?
    When you have a top ranked D and a strong running game, you are going to win football games even if the QB is not great. You won't go 13-3, but 9-10 wins is very possible and that's what we saw in 2009 and 2010. Had Sanchez been drafted by the Bucs, his career record in the playoffs right now would be 0-0. I'm not saying Freeman has been clearly better in his career, but you can't just give Mark the nod because he got drafted by what was basically a playoff type team the year before. Regardless, Jets could have forgone QB in 2009 and waited for stronger QB classes in later seasons.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    When you have a top ranked D and a strong running game, you are going to win football games even if the QB is not great. You won't go 13-3, but 9-10 wins is very possible and that's what we saw in 2009 and 2010. Had Sanchez been drafted by the Bucs, his career record in the playoffs right now would be 0-0. I'm not saying Freeman has been clearly better in his career, but you can't just give Mark the nod because he got drafted by what was basically a playoff type team the year before. Regardless, Jets could have forgone QB in 2009 and waited for stronger QB classes in later seasons.
    They could have. But would the fans have the patience for it? You and I both know that fans would have been *****ing "Why didn't we get a QB in this draft?!"

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    They could have. But would the fans have the patience for it?
    This was before I posted on this board, but how many fans were screaming to draft Mark Sanchez in 2009? He was hardly a no-brainer. Stafford was consensus #1 pick, after that there was some debate over when the next QB would be taken. I remember Sanchez becoming a hot prospect very late in the process, which means he rose up the boards for reasons unrelated to performance on the field. You know who else did that we drafted early? Dewayne Robertson... get my drift?

    Always be wary of a guy shooting up draft boards very late in the process

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    This was before I posted on this board, but how many fans were screaming to draft Mark Sanchez in 2009? He was hardly a no-brainer. Stafford was consensus #1 pick, after that there was some debate over when the next QB would be taken. I remember Sanchez becoming a hot prospect very late in the process, which means he rose up the boards for reasons unrelated to performance on the field. You know who else did that we drafted early? Dewayne Robertson... get my drift?

    Always be wary of a guy shooting up draft boards very late in the process
    If I remember, people were just uneasy about the QB situation. They were not at ease with Kellen Clemens and they were uneasy about Josh Freeman, probably because he was also a guy that nobody really talked about and that he came from K-State, and whether he could handle New York.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    If I remember, people were just uneasy about the QB situation. They were not at ease with Kellen Clemens and they were uneasy about Josh Freeman, probably because he was also a guy that nobody really talked about and that he came from K-State, and whether he could handle New York.
    Another thing I thought was weird about jumping up for Sanchez... who else would have taken him if not us? I guess we were worried Cleveland would? Best you can say is we fleeced the Browns on the trade in terms of draft value for how much we moved up.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Another thing I thought was weird about jumping up for Sanchez... who else would have taken him if not us? I guess we were worried Cleveland would? Best you can say is we fleeced the Browns on the trade in terms of draft value for how much we moved up.
    I believe that there were rumors that the Redskins were going to go after him. In their usual gung-ho manner. Jason Campbell was not doing well.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I believe that there were rumors that the Redskins were going to go after him. In their usual gung-ho manner. Jason Campbell was not doing well.
    I just hope the front office's reasoning was "we need to trade up to get Mark Sanchez" rather than "we need to trade up to get the next best available QB in the draft" because if it was the latter, that's a lousy way to build a team. Jags, Titans, and Vikings all used the same reasoning when they drafted QB in the first round last year and they probably have 3 future QB busts on their rosters right now masquerading as their "QBs of the future." Browns did this too with Weeden.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I just hope the front office's reasoning was "we need to trade up to get Mark Sanchez" rather than "we need to trade up to get the next best available QB in the draft" because if it was the latter, that's a lousy way to build a team. Jags, Titans, and Vikings all used the same reasoning when they drafted QB in the first round last year and they probably have 3 future QB busts on their rosters right now masquerading as their "QBs of the future." Browns did this too with Weeden.
    Yes to the Jags and Titans. Hold the phone on Christian Ponder and the Vikings. They have done well with him at the controls. They are 5-3 this year including a win over the Niners.

    And he's dating Samantha Steele.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda.

    If Rodney knocks the ball off Tyree's helmet and Welker holds onto the catch, the Pats are 5-0 in Super Bowls in the last 10 years.

    It is what it is.
    OHHH! I know you wished that had happened. That way you, and all other pat fans could say they least earned one superbowl victory. But as it stands...... They have NEVER earned one title without cheating. So by that logic the JETS have won more titles than the pats. again

  12. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post

    So by that logic the JETS have won more titles than the pats.

    Is this how you watched the Jets playing in a Super Bowl?


  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Is this how you watched the Jets playing in a Super Bowl?

    No I was not born yet.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Is this how you watched the Jets playing in a Super Bowl?

    Mine had tinfoil on the antenna for "better" reception.

  15. #35
    I believe Tebow was forced on Rex. They signed Drew Stanton to put pressure on Sanchez. Then all of a sudden they trade for Tebow and trade Stanton. I know you all know this. But Rex has not been the same Rex. Tebow trade has Woody all over it.
    I can't prove this but my theory is Rex wants out. He knows Woody only cares about money and will bring in any player to do so. IE: Favre. Rex has bee n neutered by Woody and knows he can't build a strong competitive team here because of Woody's meddling. I believe that is why Belicheck bailed out and Parcells quit the GM job. They knew Woody was a jerk. My theory.

  16. #36
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I've waited to speak after this disaster week.

    1. People say that Rex has had all bad drafts. I disagree. I think this year's draft class has so far been very productive. Even Quinton Coples, who was compared to Gholston, already has more sacks than Gholston had in his whole career.

    2. People say that Rex inherited a talented team that Mangini put together. I won't deny that, but to put all of the credit on Mangini is stupid. Mangini went 4-12 with this same team, (where the Gholston pick came in). Plus he then went to the Browns and did nothing with them so stop putting Mangini on a pedestal.

    3. I think this is the last year for Sanchez in New York. The Jets have tried everything to get him to step up his game and he hasn't done it. The gave him a big contract and they tried to arouse his competitive spirit with Tebow. Again, Sanchez was the right pick at the time given the alternatives (Freeman and Clemens), but it's time to let him go.

    4. All chances of the Jets being a contender this year ended with Darrelle Revis being injured in Miami. That doesn't mean I don't want them to win games, but facts are facts. I was disgusted that they got rolled over by Miami, but I am not going to act like this derailed a contending season.

    5. If one believes in the SOJ mystique, this might add to the misery. The Jets have not made a horrible draft pick in the last few years BASED ON THE YEAR'S BOARD. The problem is that they have either made their move up or had a high pick in the wrong year. The Gholston draft was a crappy one and as noted before, the Sanchez draft was very light on QBs.

    6. Until either the team quits on Rex or he was a disastrous year, I would not fire him. I think this year's draft has signaled a new youth movement on this defense. If we can draft the right couple of parts next year and look for a solid QB, I think we will be OK.
    Rex is over. Learn to wrap your brain around that.

    He did a good job with Jedi Mind Tricks on Eric Mangini's 8-3 team. Now we need a real coach and that's not him.

    SAR I

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Rex is over. Learn to wrap your brain around that.

    He did a good job with Jedi Mind Tricks on Eric Mangini's 8-3 team. Now we need a real coach and that's not him.

    SAR I
    And if they blow the rest of the year, I agree. Let him go.

    But about Mangini, he did nothing with the Browns, so don't put total credit on him.

  18. #38
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,772
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Please look at my television I bring from Ukraine:

    WOW...


    It's coming back to me....what is that ...sense?


    OMG


    Now I remember! MAN HAS WALKED ON THE MOON!


    Tell everybody!

  19. #39
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    6,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post

    3. Drafting a QB was totally the wrong thing to do for the Jets at the time considering their strengths and how they decided to approach things. They should have drafted A QB a bit later and went out and got a semi competent game manager vet. The cost of moving up was a value for sure but taking a Qb then when you are going to have to live with a rookie while you are strong elsewhere was a mistake.
    I mentioned this in another post. Clemens should have got a shot with this team, especially if you just needed a game manager. He was tough and had a good arm; what he NEVER got that year was protection. The guy was killed out there thanks to Adrienne Clarke. A vet could have also been picked up as well. What moving up in the draft directly cost us (where we would have picked) was either a) Percy Harvin; or b) Clay Mathews. We also would have had a third round pick, and wouldn't have used up all our picks to move up for Shonn Greene. We would have had Trusniak, Coleman, etc...all good solid special teamers/depth players.

    Had we have drafted Harvin, no Santonio Moss. I mean, you can start to understand why Rex is sticking with him; it all starts and stops with Sanchez. He made Sanchez his pick, and he has to win with him, or has to admit that it was a mistake and cost the franchise a pretty good shot at winning. How would it have looked had we of picked up Kerry Collins, or Charlie Batch, Jeff Garcia, Trent Green...all available at the time, and we had drafted Clay Mathews to go with that defense? Makes you wonder.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Yes to the Jags and Titans. Hold the phone on Christian Ponder and the Vikings. They have done well with him at the controls. They are 5-3 this year including a win over the Niners.

    And he's dating Samantha Steele.
    Ponder was a reach pick though because the Vikings panicked and thought they needed to grab the "next best available QB" regardless of the fact that he was 2nd-3rd round talent. Look at his height, his arm, his athleticism, all average to below average for QB standards. He will never be a bigtime player and at best can hope to be a game manager.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us