Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Couple of clear concise points about Rex and the team.

Rookie
    I need to rant for a moment and have a little optimism moving forward. Though our record does not show it and I know Bill Parcells always said "You are what your record says you are" it is exciting to see this young defense begin to grow together and with the infusion of youth will continue to get better. Now I heard this week someone said good teams and good coaches take the bye week and look to improve/fix their team and that is why the Falcons have been successful coming off the bye week. That is why I think this bye week is the most important week of Rex Ryans head coaching career. He needs to fix his team. Forgotten is that this team has a new defensive line coach, offensive line coach, offensive coordinator, and a wr coach. That is a lot of new strategies still needing the time to mesh and again Rex needs to do that. As a season ticket holder, I also believe them going on the road after this bye week is the best thing for them as well considering the circumstances. I know there is frustration from fans and fans can do what they want, but I am one to believe that you don't Boo your own team in their own building. Call me hypocritical as well for leaving in the 3rd QTR of the Dolphin game. So here it is fellow Jets fan's, Rex Ryan needs to show he is the right man for this job and our game against Seattle will show us what we need to know about him. Tough environment to play, running game with Marshawn Lynch and a defense that is playing the way Rex wants his team to play.

Rex Ryan has a word that sits on his desk at work that word is BELIEVE! Now it is up to us to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by NYDreamer View Post
    I need to rant for a moment and have a little optimism moving forward. Though our record does not show it and I know Bill Parcells always said "You are what your record says you are" it is exciting to see this young defense begin to grow together and with the infusion of youth will continue to get better. Now I heard this week someone said good teams and good coaches take the bye week and look to improve/fix their team and that is why the Falcons have been successful coming off the bye week. That is why I think this bye week is the most important week of Rex Ryans head coaching career. He needs to fix his team. Forgotten is that this team has a new defensive line coach, offensive line coach, offensive coordinator, and a wr coach. That is a lot of new strategies still needing the time to mesh and again Rex needs to do that. As a season ticket holder, I also believe them going on the road after this bye week is the best thing for them as well considering the circumstances. I know there is frustration from fans and fans can do what they want, but I am one to believe that you don't Boo your own team in their own building. Call me hypocritical as well for leaving in the 3rd QTR of the Dolphin game. So here it is fellow Jets fan's, Rex Ryan needs to show he is the right man for this job and our game against Seattle will show us what we need to know about him. Tough environment to play, running game with Marshawn Lynch and a defense that is playing the way Rex wants his team to play.

Rex Ryan has a word that sits on his desk at work that word is BELIEVE! Now it is up to us to do the same.
    While I appreciate your enthusiasm and ability to look past the record and debacle that was the Dolphin game -

I don't see how you come up with the conclusion that the defense is getting better. The defense has been exceptionally average to bad. Considering the teams drafts and resources that have gone into the defense it's discraceful.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Rex is over. Learn to wrap your brain around that.

He did a good job with Jedi Mind Tricks on Eric Mangini's 8-3 team. Now we need a real coach and that's not him.

SAR I
    I'm sorry, what Mangini team was 8-3? I seem to recall him getting an 8-8 team.
    If you are going to make a point, be accurate. Rex got an underachieving team and took them to the AFC Championship twice.

Rex is going to live or die with Sanchez, and it looks like it will be death. He wanted him, he wanted to build the offense around him, but he took a QB when it was not necessary, and then did not give him enough talent to do anything.

Fact of the matter is Rex drafts players and try's to fit them to his system. When he should build his system to fit his players. Coples is a 4-3 end and should b playing such. What does Rex run? A 3 4. Sanchez even in his college days was a roll out shift the pocket turn passer, he continues to put him in unfavorable down and distance situations. 1st and 10 run into the back of the line for a loss and then get in predictable blitz situations. Rex is a ****ty talent evsluator

Quote Originally Posted by samoljets View Post
    Fact of the matter is Rex drafts players and try's to fit them to his system. When he should build his system to fit his players. Coples is a 4-3 end and should b playing such. What does Rex run? A 3 4. Sanchez even in his college days was a roll out shift the pocket turn passer, he continues to put him in unfavorable down and distance situations. 1st and 10 run into the back of the line for a loss and then get in predictable blitz situations. Rex is a ****ty talent evsluator
    While Rex does run a lot of 4-3 (he has adapted) more 4-3 than 3-4 of late.

But the Sanchez thing drives me crazy. Two reasons...

1) As you mentioned they don't roll him out enough. At his size the only way to be successful in the NFL is to roll him out (i.e. Breese) They must have known that but did it anyway, without the intent of putting him in that situation.

2) They drafted him to be a game manager, couldn't have picked up a vet journeyman to do that. (i.e. Alex Smith) and not wasted a draft pick and huge cap hit.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NYDreamer View Post

That is why I think this bye week is the most important week of Rex Ryans head coaching career. He needs to fix his team.
    How does Wrecks fix the team when he gave them a week's vacation?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    They could have. But would the fans have the patience for it? You and I both know that fans would have been *****ing "Why didn't we get a QB in this draft?!"
    So what? It's their job, they don't answer to the fans. You don't draft a QB because he's the best one available. You get the guy you want. This is a MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR enterprise. This isn't fantasy football, there are guys whose entire job it is to scout these guys.

If you draft a QB because he's the top one on Mel Kiper's board and you happen to need a QB you're a moron, and you end up with Blaine Gabbert or Brandon Weeden and YOU NEVER BECOME A GREAT TEAM.

Be smart, be patient, get the guy you want.

They took a risk on Sanchez and it was a failure. They need to be held accountable for that, you can't give them a pass because Mel Kiper said it was Stafford then Sanchez then Freeman.

I think the one in the 4th quarter. I don't remember the specific time but Cromartie dropped a key INT in that quarter. I remember clearly all of us here getting angry at it.

And of course if Santonio Holmes was playing, he probably catches the easy pass that Stephen Hill drops at the end of the 4th quarter
    That is like saying if the phins did not run Reggie on the last series of the first half they would have beaten the Jets, we just do not know

Jets Insider VIP
    I think the one in the 4th quarter. I don't remember the specific time but Cromartie dropped a key INT in that quarter. I remember clearly all of us here getting angry at it.

And of course if Santonio Holmes was playing, he probably catches the easy pass that Stephen Hill drops at the end of the 4th quarter
    Kool aid..... 25 cents a glass.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    I've waited to speak after this disaster week.

1. People say that Rex has had all bad drafts. I disagree. I think this year's draft class has so far been very productive. Even Quinton Coples, who was compared to Gholston, already has more sacks than Gholston had in his whole career.

2. People say that Rex inherited a talented team that Mangini put together. I won't deny that, but to put all of the credit on Mangini is stupid. Mangini went 4-12 with this same team, (where the Gholston pick came in). Plus he then went to the Browns and did nothing with them so stop putting Mangini on a pedestal.

3. I think this is the last year for Sanchez in New York. The Jets have tried everything to get him to step up his game and he hasn't done it. The gave him a big contract and they tried to arouse his competitive spirit with Tebow. Again, Sanchez was the right pick at the time given the alternatives (Freeman and Clemens), but it's time to let him go.

4. All chances of the Jets being a contender this year ended with Darrelle Revis being injured in Miami. That doesn't mean I don't want them to win games, but facts are facts. I was disgusted that they got rolled over by Miami, but I am not going to act like this derailed a contending season.

5. If one believes in the SOJ mystique, this might add to the misery. The Jets have not made a horrible draft pick in the last few years BASED ON THE YEAR'S BOARD. The problem is that they have either made their move up or had a high pick in the wrong year. The Gholston draft was a crappy one and as noted before, the Sanchez draft was very light on QBs.

6. Until either the team quits on Rex or he was a disastrous year, I would not fire him. I think this year's draft has signaled a new youth movement on this defense. If we can draft the right couple of parts next year and look for a solid QB, I think we will be OK.
    I agree with almost all of this.

I would argue that the Jets could have been a contender - even with the loss of Revis, if Sanchez was taking better care of the football. Between his red zone interceptions and his fumbles when he gets sacked due to his horrible pocket presence & terrible ball security/handling skills, Sanchez has almost single-handedly crushed any chances of the Jets being a play-off team. That being said, this should definitely be Sanchez's last season as the Jets starting QB, he has steadily regressed the last 2 years and in my opinion, he is out of excuses and out of time.

The only thing I will add is that I would like to see Rex get a firmer grip on this team. I'd like to see him start running training camp & practices more intensely & stop being so soft on the players and whip this damn defense back into form and this team back into shape.

From my observations of the Jets this year, this team has become soft and it shows on the field and Rex definitely should be shouldering the blame for that and taking whatever steps are necessary to correct it.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 11-03-2012 at 11:52 PM.

I've waited to speak after this disaster week.

1. People say that Rex has had all bad drafts. I disagree. I think this year's draft class has so far been very productive. Even Quinton Coples, who was compared to Gholston, already has more sacks than Gholston had in his whole career.

2. People say that Rex inherited a talented team that Mangini put together. I won't deny that, but to put all of the credit on Mangini is stupid. Mangini went 4-12 with this same team, (where the Gholston pick came in). Plus he then went to the Browns and did nothing with them so stop putting Mangini on a pedestal.

3. I think this is the last year for Sanchez in New York. The Jets have tried everything to get him to step up his game and he hasn't done it. The gave him a big contract and they tried to arouse his competitive spirit with Tebow. Again, Sanchez was the right pick at the time given the alternatives (Freeman and Clemens), but it's time to let him go.

4. All chances of the Jets being a contender this year ended with Darrelle Revis being injured in Miami. That doesn't mean I don't want them to win games, but facts are facts. I was disgusted that they got rolled over by Miami, but I am not going to act like this derailed a contending season.

5. If one believes in the SOJ mystique, this might add to the misery. The Jets have not made a horrible draft pick in the last few years BASED ON THE YEAR'S BOARD. The problem is that they have either made their move up or had a high pick in the wrong year. The Gholston draft was a crappy one and as noted before, the Sanchez draft was very light on QBs.

6. Until either the team quits on Rex or he was a disastrous year, I would not fire him. I think this year's draft has signaled a new youth movement on this defense. If we can draft the right couple of parts next year and look for a solid QB, I think we will be OK.

Great post.

1 & 5. I think the draft accuracy is consistent throughout the league. All teams hit and miss at about the same rate.

2. I don't think Mangini was ready to be a HC when he left here, but I can't blame him for taking the chance.

3. I think the Tebow deal was made for money. As for Sanchez, it looks as if he'll never be the QB the Jets thought they were getting. No offense to Jets fans, but he simply isn't that good.

4. Losing Revis has to hurt the Jets chances.

6. I think the word that was out about Rex Ryan when he came to NY was that he was not HC material, and that was why he didn't get the job in Baltimore. That has proven to be dead on accurate. His locker room is a mess, and if I were a solid QB or any other FA I'd have second thoughts about playing for him. Ryan should stick to being a DC.

Wrong.

You don't take away the best defensive player in the NFL without it having some effect. For example, I think we beat New England if Revis is on the team that week.
    I agree about his loss having some effect, but there's no way of knowing how our game would have gone with Revis playing. It doesn't matter anyway. When we lost Tommy LomBrady for the year and lost out on the playoffs in 2008 with an 11-5 record, we didn't get too many condolences from opposing fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirt View Post
    I believe Tebow was forced on Rex. They signed Drew Stanton to put pressure on Sanchez. Then all of a sudden they trade for Tebow and trade Stanton. I know you all know this. But Rex has not been the same Rex. Tebow trade has Woody all over it.
    I can't prove this but my theory is Rex wants out. He knows Woody only cares about money and will bring in any player to do so. IE: Favre. Rex has bee n neutered by Woody and knows he can't build a strong competitive team here because of Woody's meddling. I believe that is why Belicheck bailed out and Parcells quit the GM job. They knew Woody was a jerk. My theory.
    All of that is very credible.

The only thing I can add is that Ryan may have hurt his future chances by taking the job with the Jets, even if those players were forced on him by WJ. Ryan still exposed himself as a loose cannon type of HC. If I were an owner I'd never give a guy like him much control.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    It's impossible to deny our poor drafts since Rex took over are a big part of the reason we're not a good team right now. Once we began to trade away picks hitting on the ones we have becomes much more important.

The 2009 draft was a disaster. Sanchez, Green, and Slauson, those were our only picks. A massive bust, an overdrafted below average RB, and a solid pick in the sixth round for a good depth OL.

The 2010 draft might have been worse. Kyle Wilson was a bust in the first round. He's a serviceable nickleback at best. Vlad Duccasse has been a complete disaster in the second round -- if it weren't for Gholston he'd be Tanny's worst pick ever, easily. Joe McKnight has been a non-factor. John Conner was a waste.

2011 and 2012 we bounced back a little, but I'm still waiting for the advancement that Mo Wilkerson was supposed to have this year. Between Coples, Ellis, and Wilkerson, you simply CANNOT spend three top picks on defensive lineman and get the kind of production out of them we've gotten. We still have zero pass rush.

Overall Coples, Hill, the rest of 2012 is looking like it will work out, but we whiffed so badly on 09-10 that it's just killing us.

Mangini didn't go 4-12 with this same team. The 2007 Jets and 2012 Jets are almost entirely different.

I'm not saying Mangini deserves ALL the credit, but it's just a fact that our talent acquisition under him was better than under Rex.

Mangini: Brick, Mangold, Revis, Harris, Gholston (bust), Keller, Leon Washington, Brad Smith, Eric Smith, Favre, Calvin Pace, Kris Jenkins, Damien Woody, Alan Faneca, Thomas Jones, Tony Richardson

Rex: Sanchez, Greene, Slauson, Kyle Wilson, Vlad Duccasse, John Conner, McKnight, Powell, Wilkerson, Ellis, Coples, Hill, Leonahrd, Bart Scott, Tomlinson, Chazz Schillens, Jason Taylor...

Obviously drafting him was a mistake and he's not going to be our starter much longer, but he'll be on the roster in 2013. His contract makes him untradable and uncuttable.

Disagree. Revis has nothing to do with our pitiful offense or run defense. The area where Revis is most important (pass defense) is still the strength of the team. This team sucks even with Revis. Our non-impact high picks on the D-line, cement shoe linebackers, awful QB play and lack of playmakers is what's killing this team, not a lack of Revis.

What are you talking about? They have multi-million dollar scouting departments. If you whiff on Gholston or Sanchez, that's still your fault. These guys aren't drafting who Mel Kiper tells them to, this is a billion dollar industry.

This is in the process of happening, in case you missed the memo.
    AUSTIN-you are spot on couldn't agree w you more..wouldnt be surprised Tanny wanting to keep his job hires mangini to help w player personnel..bradway was a failure as a gm why is he picking players for us..rex has no idea about the offensive side of football..so he can't give any input on picking those players..i was a big rex backer..still think he's a dynamite def coach..but thats where it ends w him..he should go back to being a very good def coordinator..he is not hc material..

Quote Originally Posted by Pats1960 View Post
    Great post.

1 & 5. I think the draft accuracy is consistent throughout the league. All teams hit and miss at about the same rate.

2. I don't think Mangini was ready to be a HC when he left here, but I can't blame him for taking the chance.

3. I think the Tebow deal was made for money. As for Sanchez, it looks as if he'll never be the QB the Jets thought they were getting. No offense to Jets fans, but he simply isn't that good.

4. Losing Revis has to hurt the Jets chances.

6. I think the word that was out about Rex Ryan when he came to NY was that he was not HC material, and that was why he didn't get the job in Baltimore. That has proven to be dead on accurate. His locker room is a mess, and if I were a solid QB or any other FA I'd have second thoughts about playing for him. Ryan should stick to being a DC.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    While Rex does run a lot of 4-3 (he has adapted) more 4-3 than 3-4 of late.

But the Sanchez thing drives me crazy. Two reasons...

1) As you mentioned they don't roll him out enough. At his size the only way to be successful in the NFL is to roll him out (i.e. Breese) They must have known that but did it anyway, without the intent of putting him in that situation.

2) They drafted him to be a game manager, couldn't have picked up a vet journeyman to do that. (i.e. Alex Smith) and not wasted a draft pick and huge cap hit.

excellent point!!!