Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Report: Cowboys OT, family torn over money

  1. #1
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,809
    Post Thanks / Like

    Report: Cowboys OT, family torn over money

    November 1, 2012


    Dallas Cowboys offensive lineman Tyron Smith has had to throw a block against his own family.

    In a report from The Dallas Morning News, police responded to a 911 call Tuesday at Smith's Dallas home. According to the police report, the call was made because some of Smith's siblings had shown up to "harass and torment" him "in the pursuit of financial gain."

    This is far from the first time money has come between Smith and his family. Sources told The Morning News that Smith is in emotional turmoil because of several incidents over money.

    Smith even filed a protective order over the summer preventing contact from his parents, mother Frankie Pinkney and stepfather Roy Pinkney.

    The protective order also prohibits Smith's parents from contacting him through his five siblings. At least two of Smith's three sisters were part of the trio of people who showed up at Smith's home on Tuesday. The group was also there Saturday, according to the police report.

    Smith, 21, was the Cowboys' No. 1 draft pick in 2011 and signed a four-year, $12.5 million contract with the team. Smith, listed as 6-5, 308 pounds, started as a rookie at right tackle. He moved to left tackle this season.

    Cowboys officials declined to comment to The Morning News on the situation, but sources said a member of Smith's family had to be removed from the team's practice facility during training camp.

    Smith has also declined comment, but friends have described him as being torn about having to use legal maneuvers to keep his family away.

    "Lesser means were tried and they weren't successful," said Smith's attorney, John Schorsch. "You can use your own imagination as to what it took for a guy that big and that imposing to be worried."

    http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/11...55&feedID=4680

    nice family...

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,816
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    November 1, 2012


    Dallas Cowboys offensive lineman Tyron Smith has had to throw a block against his own family.

    In a report from The Dallas Morning News, police responded to a 911 call Tuesday at Smith's Dallas home. According to the police report, the call was made because some of Smith's siblings had shown up to "harass and torment" him "in the pursuit of financial gain."

    This is far from the first time money has come between Smith and his family. Sources told The Morning News that Smith is in emotional turmoil because of several incidents over money.

    Smith even filed a protective order over the summer preventing contact from his parents, mother Frankie Pinkney and stepfather Roy Pinkney.

    The protective order also prohibits Smith's parents from contacting him through his five siblings. At least two of Smith's three sisters were part of the trio of people who showed up at Smith's home on Tuesday. The group was also there Saturday, according to the police report.

    Smith, 21, was the Cowboys' No. 1 draft pick in 2011 and signed a four-year, $12.5 million contract with the team. Smith, listed as 6-5, 308 pounds, started as a rookie at right tackle. He moved to left tackle this season.

    Cowboys officials declined to comment to The Morning News on the situation, but sources said a member of Smith's family had to be removed from the team's practice facility during training camp.

    Smith has also declined comment, but friends have described him as being torn about having to use legal maneuvers to keep his family away.

    "Lesser means were tried and they weren't successful," said Smith's attorney, John Schorsch. "You can use your own imagination as to what it took for a guy that big and that imposing to be worried."

    http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/11...55&feedID=4680

    nice family...
    Gloryhole doe.

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,170
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sad story. Probably a lot of unpublicized stories like this.

    Smith doesn't know for sure that he'll see another contract in the NFL. Do you alienate your entire family, or eat into a chunk of what amounts to your career earnings to handle whatever financial issues already exist?

    No-win situation for some players.

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a shame

    I've got a sibling who is very wealthy through business... probably around 25 million and I've never asked him for anything. He would help out if I needed it and has always been generous when we visit but I don't know how people think it's owed to them. He already helps out my retired parents. I'm happy for my brother and proud of what he's done but he doesn't owe me anything.

    This is another reason why players are broke after a couple of years

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,249
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Sad story. Probably a lot of unpublicized stories like this.

    Smith doesn't know for sure that he'll see another contract in the NFL. Do you alienate your entire family, or eat into a chunk of what amounts to your career earnings to handle whatever financial issues already exist?

    No-win situation for some players.
    Family members that harass a kid for money deserve to be alienated. But yeah, these kids are put into a very tough position and usually aren't mature enough to be able to handle it.

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    12,320
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    That's a shame

    I've got a sibling who is very wealthy through business... probably around 25 million and I've never asked him for anything. He would help out if I needed it and has always been generous when we visit but I don't know how people think it's owed to them. He already helps out my retired parents. I'm happy for my brother and proud of what he's done but he doesn't owe me anything.

    This is another reason why players are broke after a couple of years

    You'd think a guy with that much cash would hook his own brother up, without having to ask

    Just saying......

  7. #7
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    233
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    You'd think a guy with that much cash would hook his own brother up, without having to ask

    Just saying......
    Sad.

    They were probably hooked up multiple times already. Poor kid.

  8. #8
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    349
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder how many stories like this there are in the NFL and the NBA that don't escalate to the point where they get on the radar screen of the media.

    So many of these guys come from poor backgrounds and are surrounded by family and "friends" who feel that they are "owed" because of the athlete's success.

    In New York, we see this all the time in the "posses" of some of these players, which is usually a group of hangers-on looking for a hand out.

    These stars often grew up with guys who played football or basketball with them in the playgrounds or in high school and who who think they are "just as good" as the guy who got "lucky" and made it to the Bigs. They feel entitled to share in the fruits of their friends' success and put all sorts of pressure on them to guilt-trip them into giving them money and gifts. The thing is that the guy who made it usually did so because he worked his butt off and kept his nose clean in school and with the law, unlike his buddies who are now hanging out on the streets or bagging groceries.

    I don't know whether Smith is a good guy or a world class jerk, but my instinct is to feel badly for him, until I learn otherwise.

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,721
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    You'd think a guy with that much cash would hook his own brother up, without having to ask

    Just saying......
    No. He should not have to support adult relatives. Brothers, sisters and parents need their own jobs.

  10. #10
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    349
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Sad story. Probably a lot of unpublicized stories like this.

    Smith doesn't know for sure that he'll see another contract in the NFL. Do you alienate your entire family, or eat into a chunk of what amounts to your career earnings to handle whatever financial issues already exist?

    No-win situation for some players.
    Yeah. The poor guy's family and "friends" probably look at that contract (not clear how much of it was guaranteed) and see $12.5 million, but don't see the 40--50% that goes to taxes and the 10% that goes to his agent, let alone all the hard work the guy will have to put in to earn it.

    If he gets injured, as you point out, the $12.5 after taxes and expenses is "it" for his entire career. Most teams offer financial counselling and support to young players who are dealing with a lot of money for the first time. I hope Smith gets the help he needs.

  11. #11
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    349
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    No. He should not have to support adult relatives. Brothers, sisters and parents need their own jobs.
    Agree 100%.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,128
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    No. He should not have to support adult relatives. Brothers, sisters and parents need their own jobs.
    Totally agree. Plus, once you start handing out and that person starts taking that relationship is all down hill

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,721
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Totally agree. Plus, once you start handing out and that person starts taking that relationship is all down hill
    New reports suggest over $1m is missing and his family may have ended up with the money.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,654
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCFan View Post
    Yeah. The poor guy's family and "friends" probably look at that contract (not clear how much of it was guaranteed) and see $12.5 million, but don't see the 40--50% that goes to taxes and the 10% that goes to his agent, let alone all the hard work the guy will have to put in to earn it.

    If he gets injured, as you point out, the $12.5 after taxes and expenses is "it" for his entire career. Most teams offer financial counselling and support to young players who are dealing with a lot of money for the first time. I hope Smith gets the help he needs.
    Agents can not charge more than 3% by agreement with the Union who certifies them. Where do you get 10%, the guys are not unemployed actors looking for the next gig.

    What you may be confused on is that some players have financial advisers
    whose fees are not regulated by the union.

    But is is sad to read how families can be torn apart by money.

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    You'd think a guy with that much cash would hook his own brother up, without having to ask

    Just saying......

    If I asked, he would. I don't ask. He takes care of my parents and that's good enough for me. His priority is to his family, not mine. He's even offered to set me up in my own business. I declined.

    There's no jealousy about it. Sure I wish I didn't have to worry about money but most people do. My brother took a huge risk years ago, made some bold moves, and was smart enough to make it work. I'm proud of him.

    I've gone lots of places with him without spending a dime and he's flown my family down to Florida (he's semi-retired now) many times even though I've tried to pay. He's generous but he's not going to throw out millions to people.

  16. #16
    Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    619
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    You'd think a guy with that much cash would hook his own brother up, without having to ask

    Just saying......
    If I had that much dough, I would take care of my sister without asking.

  17. #17
    Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    619
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    If I asked, he would. I don't ask. He takes care of my parents and that's good enough for me. His priority is to his family, not mine. He's even offered to set me up in my own business. I declined.

    There's no jealousy about it. Sure I wish I didn't have to worry about money but most people do. My brother took a huge risk years ago, made some bold moves, and was smart enough to make it work. I'm proud of him.

    I've gone lots of places with him without spending a dime and he's flown my family down to Florida (he's semi-retired now) many times even though I've tried to pay. He's generous but he's not going to throw out millions to people.
    That's cool of him and you are a better person then me. I would take help from a sibling, no question. I would do the same.

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,721
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sec340 View Post
    If I had that much dough, I would take care of my sister without asking.
    The difficulty is need vs. want vs. lazy. What if your sister was a do nothing mooch who refused to support herself?

    Growing up, my mother picked cotton in the fields with other children of Mexican immigrants. After mom started working as a teacher and my dad's business did well, mom started helping out her parents who never had much but did their best to provide for their children.

    Decades later, my mom is retired as is her sister. My aunt worked very hard to support her 6 children. Unfortunately, she didn't make enough to save much and made some poor decisions with her money. As a result, my aunt has financial difficulties. While not "rich", my mother helps her sister out b/c that is what family does.

    BUT, one of my aunt's children is a lazy, do nothing who actually mooches off her mother. My mom wouldn't give that child a dime.

    While NFL players make big bucks, their careers are very short and many of them are not suited for making money in the "real" world.
    - Smart players hoard their cash for the long game. They have to make it last a lifetime.
    - Dumb players have 13 kids by 10 different women.
    - Dumb players have a posse of hangers on and buy flashy cars and jewelry.

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,385
    Post Thanks / Like
    Terrible story. Can't help but feel sorry for him. With parents like those, who needs 'em. Hopefully they'll eventually let him live in peace.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us