Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 119

Thread: The Marathon

  1. #41
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,374
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I'd go stand on the sideline near Bloomberg at the marathon and hand these out to the runners...

    Hold on....I need to check my NY Penal Code....I'm pretty sure what you're doing is conspiracy to distribute an oversized beverage.


    Yup....Class A Misdemeanor. Lets just say on your next trip to NY, you should drive very carefully. There may well be a bench warrant out for Jetstream23....I just hope that's not your real name.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    i agree but the city needs to buy them and do it. if there was no marathon those generators would not be used for anything else because they were bought with private money. they would not be in the city at all
    Great. Let's look at it as a godsend. Let the City pay back the private companies who raised the funds for the generators. They are here; lets use 'em to help folks.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by fukushimajin View Post
    You know who I hate? The gum chewers. F-them. Also fat people who never take a bath. People with Jersey plates can GFT! BTW, Where are you driving that runners are always getting in your way?
    Jersey, and I have run Marathons before so I know first hand how annoying some runners are...

  4. #44
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jets Stadium Section 246
    Posts
    36,887
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Hold on....I need to check my NY Penal Code....I'm pretty sure what you're doing is conspiracy to distribute an oversized beverage.


    Yup....Class A Misdemeanor. Lets just say on your next trip to NY, you should drive very carefully. There may well be a bench warrant out for Jetstream23....I just hope that's not your real name.
    Oh great, another :usedtobeacop: running around!


  5. #45
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    TX via MA via CT
    Posts
    2,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Great. Let's look at it as a godsend. Let the City pay back the private companies who raised the funds for the generators. They are here; lets use 'em to help folks.
    From the article:

    Since emergency executive orders have been issued, the governor, mayor or even President Obama could take the generators for a more important use, explained Pace University law professor Bennett Gershman.

    Such an emergency action would need the approval of the City Council, state Legislature or Congress. And they would have to compensate the owners of the devices.
    It's well within the city's right to take these generators and compensate the owners.

    It would be more humanitarian to do that than to run this stupid race when so many people are suffering.

    I'm not even in the area any more, but I'm completely dumbfounded as to why the mayor is letting this race happen. It's beyond all imagining that people would even race at all and that others would be spectators when there is so much devastation and so many people need so much.

  6. #46
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,374
    Quote Originally Posted by fukushimajin View Post
    NY is a place that takes seriously it's responsibility as one of the cultural centers of the world. Sometimes that makes it tough on the people who live there. The city can't/won't kick travelers out of hotel rooms (if it even has that power) unless it absolutely has to.
    So, I suppose, in your mind, Bloomberg was a pvssy for cancelling the Halloween Parade, huh? Afterall, we're NYers, suck it up, b!tches....right?

    This isn't some street fair that is on my block. This isn't the Puerto Rican Day Parade that is an irritant to everyone in the vicinity.

    This is a large scale event that goes through all 5 boros, clogs up the bridges and streets, uses precious resources that are better served elsewhere, and is an insult to everyone who is suffering. NYC doesn't lose its cache as being the Capital of the World because they make, what you refer to as, the safe decision. Its also the rational decision, the smart decision and sound decision.

    I would feel bad for the folks who have been training for the marathon for months to miss out on the experience. A little bit. A very little bit.

    But, whatever....you're entitled to your opinion. I don't think you're immoral for thinking the way you do. I just happen to think you're wrong. But I usually think I'm right anyway, so there's nothing new here.

  7. #47
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    31,100
    NY IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS.

    Southp[ark you know better than anyone that there must be so many organizations just waiting for a reason to cancel on NYC. Bloomberg is protecting the commerce, now that the people are safe enough to dig out.

    It's a Pro marathon and the fans might need the distraction; less weekend warriors will make for a compelling event (possibly)

  8. #48
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    31,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    They gonna still have those pasta tents the night before the race so the runners can carbo load? With so many people missing hot meals for days now (lots of kids which kills me), that would be the height of insult. Get Barilla, Ronzoni, and all the other pasta companies to open these tents in some of the boroughs providing necessary food.
    email the mayor!!!

    That's a great idea; push it forward. You have the elan to get that across in a compelling way!

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    email the mayor!!!

    That's a great idea; push it forward. You have the elan to get that across in a compelling way!
    Good idea. Be right back.

  10. #50
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    31,100
    What could be more natural than Jets fans helping folks run to food? With Rex's lapband, there's more for everybody!

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by fukushimajin View Post
    People will not riot because of the race -- is my point. NY'ers are not like that.
    Some New Yorkers are pulling knives and guns on eachother over their spot in line at a gas station. So some New Yorkers are like that. it's the vast minority, but that's all you need to start a riot.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    email the mayor!!!

    That's a great idea; push it forward. You have the elan to get that across in a compelling way!
    Not that anyone will read it, but I sent a missive outlining the pasta tent idea. Thanks for the suggestion, WCO.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    So, I suppose, in your mind, Bloomberg was a pvssy for cancelling the Halloween Parade, huh? Afterall, we're NYers, suck it up, b!tches....right?

    This isn't some street fair that is on my block. This isn't the Puerto Rican Day Parade that is an irritant to everyone in the vicinity.

    This is a large scale event that goes through all 5 boros, clogs up the bridges and streets, uses precious resources that are better served elsewhere, and is an insult to everyone who is suffering. NYC doesn't lose its cache as being the Capital of the World because they make, what you refer to as, the safe decision. Its also the rational decision, the smart decision and sound decision.

    I would feel bad for the folks who have been training for the marathon for months to miss out on the experience. A little bit. A very little bit.

    But, whatever....you're entitled to your opinion. I don't think you're immoral for thinking the way you do. I just happen to think you're wrong. But I usually think I'm right anyway, so there's nothing new here.
    Nah -- Halloween Parade can be rescheduled. It might be stupid, I just wanted to make the point that there is another side to it. I also don't like all the dramatics about riots and ridiculoua assessments about how the race might negatively impact recovery efforts. The NY Post has a PHd in yanking people's chains -- maybe someday they'll figure it out and read something else.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by fukushimajin View Post
    Nah -- Halloween Parade can be rescheduled. It might be stupid, I just wanted to make the point that there is another side to it. I also don't like all the dramatics about riots and ridiculoua assessments about how the race might negatively impact recovery efforts. The NY Post has a PHd in yanking people's chains -- maybe someday they'll figure it out and read something else.
    If any one of those runners does anything besides showing up, turning around and volunteering then they're all as big a piece of **** as Bloomberg and the leaders at ING. You don't think police could be used in a better manner right now then I'm sorry you're not even worth the breath of a debate.

  15. #55
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    31,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Not that anyone will read it, but I sent a missive outlining the pasta tent idea. Thanks for the suggestion, WCO.
    Honestly the little things count Borgo. We knever know.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    If any one of those runners does anything besides showing up, turning around and volunteering then they're all as big a piece of **** as Bloomberg and the leaders at ING. You don't think police could be used in a better manner right now then I'm sorry you're not even worth the breath of a debate.
    100% on the money, Snell.

    Lots of looters in many locations. Many of us saw cops arrest some young man (POS in my book) on the news earlier today in New Dorp, Staten Island.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Sure it does. Instead of being used for a stupid race, take them over to Verrazano and help power some gas stations, supermarkets, or anything else which fosters some shred of comfort/assistance to the people over on Staten Island who need it. Generators that huge could power vital services.
    They are paid for by the marathon people so they should DONATE THE GENERATORS to those who need it, and postpone the stupid race.

    WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  18. #58
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    (┌・。・)┌ lolgfy
    Posts
    32,461
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    A horrificly misguided and wrongheaded decision.

    On a sorta-related note (i.e. wrongheaded decisions), I've heard reports of out-of-state electrical and line workers being turned away from helping in NY and NJ......because they're non-Union.

    /facepalm, palm, palm.

    Wow, are you serious?
    Gee, I wonder how come MetLife Stadium cost over a billion dollars to build?

  19. #59
    I heard that too

  20. #60
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    (┌・。・)┌ lolgfy
    Posts
    32,461
    Quote Originally Posted by fukushimajin View Post
    It's not a competition -- and it may be a bad decision,but New York simply cannot remain shut down. The City is what it is, both good and bad because of that attitude. Can't and shouldn't change it now. Cancelling things is the safe decision for any administrator. Going ahead with things and planning adequately for them takes guts and is hard. I'm no Bloomberg supporter, but he is trying to think both of the present situation and the city's future.
    In the wake of 9/11, I don't think New York has to prove anything to anyone, anymore, ever.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us