Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The Marathon

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fukushimajin View Post
    Nah -- Halloween Parade can be rescheduled. It might be stupid, I just wanted to make the point that there is another side to it. I also don't like all the dramatics about riots and ridiculoua assessments about how the race might negatively impact recovery efforts. The NY Post has a PHd in yanking people's chains -- maybe someday they'll figure it out and read something else.
    Marathon can be rescheduled too. May not get all the runners, may not get the same hoopla, but it can certainly be rescheduled.

I don't read the post. But, with the finite resources the city has, it legitimately is a waste of PD's time to be working the race detail. And despite that, I agree that its mostly symbolic as the police presence at the race won't immeasurably change the direction of the recovery. But, don't discount symbols. They matter. To the folks who spent 15 hours in Oceanside sleeping in their cars waiting for gas, to the folks abandoned in SI left to fend for themselves, it matters.

You say the spirit of NY is demonstrated with "the show must go on no matter what" attitude....to me, the spirit of NY is equally present when the Mayor says to the professional runner from Kenya/Sweden, etc. and the amateur runner from Duluth "Sorry pal...ain't happenin' this year - don't really care if you're disappointed. We gots bigger fish to fry here."

Enjoy the race.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreet123456 View Post
    They are paid for by the marathon people so they should DONATE THE GENERATORS to those who need it, and postpone the stupid race.

WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THousand of people peaking...you can't turn them away...but maybe have a Phish concert instead!

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fukushimajin View Post
    People will not riot because of the race -- is my point. NY'ers are not like that.
    The latest is Bloomberg is digging his heals in despite rabid opposition by NYPD and city council. Im hearing NYPD will be forced to dispatch police officers in RIOT GEAR.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fivewide View Post
    The latest is Bloomberg is digging his heals in despite rabid opposition by NYPD and city council. Im hearing NYPD will be forced to dispatch police officers in RIOT GEAR.
    where did you hear this? I just googled "NYPD Marathon Riot Gear" and your post came up 4th.

Just sayin'

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    where did you hear this? I just googled "NYPD Marathon Riot Gear" and your post came up 4th.

Just sayin'
    friend who works for the city

...and makes total sense, if you were running NYPD, wouldnt you do the same?...not for all of them obviously, but they have to be prepared.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could just be a rumor, the riot gear, but I wouldnt doubt it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post

Just sayin'
    Could you imagine? If Bloomberg thinks the press would be bad now, wait until there are pictures of pissed off hurricane victims getting beat down by officers in riot gear.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Could you imagine? If Bloomberg thinks the press would be bad now, wait until there are pictures of pissed off hurricane victims getting beat down by officers in riot gear.
    In fact let me say, as I did not here it first hand from anyone in NYPD, that it is only a rumor and I apologize for stating such things I did not hear first hand. This is irresponsible on my part.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    If one dollar of state money is spent, if one minute of police staff is used, if one milimeter of roads that could doing more important work is taken up, if one single tic-tac worth of supplies to those in need is slowed down, if one second of power loss is prolonged, it's a bad decision. I.e. it's a bad decision, and not because this is some sort of "whose cock is bigger" competition between New orleans and New York.
    +1

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    "I JUST WANT SOME GATORADE!!!!!" as he is dragged off by ESU as runners glide by oblivious to the commotion around them.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fivewide View Post
    In fact let me say, as I did not here it first hand from anyone in NYPD, that it is only a rumor and I apologize for stating such things I did not hear first hand. This is irresponsible on my part.
    No need to apologise. Given the current situation in SI, I don't think it's that outrageous a scenario.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    No need to apologise. Given the current situation in SI, I don't think it's that outrageous a scenario.
    Im not one to spread second hand rumors, especially ones of fear, but im just so aggrevated that they are proceeding with the marathon for the multitude of reasons we all know. Hopefully, it goes well and there are no incidents.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    THousand of people peaking...you can't turn them away...but maybe have a Phish concert instead!

Oh I get it - peaking for the race, or, peaking on acid.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

We got 4 shows over New Years at MSG, as usual, but I'll take another anydayoftheweek!

I was thinking that this morning as they did a benefit for Irene in Burlington last year.

Rowdy status, btw

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh I get it - peaking for the race, or, peaking on acid.
    You've become very....disjointed....of late WCO.

Almost as if you're having a deep conversation.

With yourself.

Hope your ok.

We'd hate to see your sanity get flushing, er, flushed away like that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    yeah it is more about the money. Charities make millions on the Marathon. I am sure some of the same organizations supporting the recovery are also the ones asking for the race. They can postpone it IMO or just move it to anther location.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just got word the Marathon is now cancelled (just heard it on NBC news)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good.

Fish, thanks for the welcome back earlier.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great news

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    We got 4 shows over New Years at MSG, as usual, but I'll take another anydayoftheweek!

I was thinking that this morning as they did a benefit for Irene in Burlington last year.

Rowdy status, btw
    The idea of a benefit taking place instead of the race played into the "peaking" idea. Obviously this is not the right time; people are watching their food rot...the news makes it sound as if there's real progress; yet the people I listen to say that's not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    You've become very....disjointed....of late WCO.

Almost as if you're having a deep conversation.

With yourself.

Hope your ok.

We'd hate to see your sanity get flushing, er, flushed away like that.
    What is this

The reasons I write in the margins, so to speak, is because it seems you do all the heavy thinking for us. With one of your threads, there's never much meat on the bone for me; I usually just agree with you.

BTW I made the effort to lay out my rig and share secrets of being a weekend Gilmour warrior...but that died a quick death.

whatupwiththat?