Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: President Barack Obama: My vision for America (CNN Opinion Piece....by the President)

President Barack Obama: My vision for America (CNN Opinion Piece....by the President)

President Barack Obama: My vision for America

By Barack Obama, Special to CNN

updated 9:51 AM EDT, Fri November 2, 2012

Editor's note: Barack Obama is president of the United States. (lol, really?)

(CNN) -- For the past few days, all of us have been properly focused on one of the worst storms of our lifetimes. We mourn those who were lost. And we pledge to stand with those whose lives have been turned upside down for as long as it takes them to recover and rebuild.

Because when hardship hits, America is at its best. The petty differences that consume us in normal times quickly melt away. There are no Democrats or Republicans during a storm -- only fellow Americans. That's how we get through the most trying times: together.

Four years ago, we were mired in two wars and the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. Together, we've battled our way back. The war in Iraq is over, Osama bin Laden is dead, and our heroes are coming home. Our businesses have created more than 5 million new jobs in the last two and half years. Home values and 401(k)s are rising. We are less dependent on foreign oil than at any time in the last 20 years. And the American auto industry is back.

We're not there yet. But we've made real progress. And on Tuesday, America will get to choose between two fundamentally different visions of what makes America strong.

I believe America's prosperity was built on the strength of our middle class. We don't succeed when a few at the top do well while everyone else struggles to get by -- we're better off when everyone gets a fair shot, everyone does their fair share, and everyone plays by the same rules.

When Bill Clinton was president, he believed that if America invested in the skills and ideas of its people, good jobs and businesses would follow. His economic plan asked the wealthiest Americans to pay a little more so we could reduce our deficit and still invest in job training and education, research and technology, better health care and a dignified retirement. And what happened? By the end of his second term, our economy created 23 million new jobs. Incomes rose. Poverty fell. Deficits became the biggest surplus in history.

The path Governor Romney offers is the one we tried for eight years after President Clinton left office -- a philosophy that says those at the very top get to play by a very different set of rules than everyone else. Bigger tax cuts for the wealthy that we can't afford. Encouraging companies to ship jobs and profits overseas. Fewer rules for big banks and insurance companies. They're the policies that caused this mess in the first place.

In the closing weeks of this campaign, Governor Romney has started calling himself an agent of change. And I'll give him one thing -- offering another $5 trillion tax cut weighted towards the wealthy, $2 trillion in defense spending our military didn't ask for, and more power for big banks and insurance companies is change, all right. But it's not the change we need.

We know what real change looks like. And we can't give up on it now.

Change is an America where people of every age have the skills and education that good jobs require. We took on banks that had been overcharging for student loans for decades, and made college more affordable for millions. Now we'll recruit 100,000 math and science teachers so that high-tech, high-wage jobs don't end up in China, and train 2 million workers at community colleges for the skills local businesses need right now.

Change is an America that's home to the next generation of manufacturing and innovation. I'm not the candidate who said we should "let Detroit go bankrupt," I'm the president who bet on American workers and American ingenuity. Now I want a tax code that stops rewarding companies that ship jobs overseas, and starts rewarding companies that create jobs here; one that stops subsidizing oil company profits, and keeps supporting clean energy jobs and technology that will cut our oil imports in half.

Change is an America that turns the page on a decade of war to do some nation-building here at home. So long as I'm commander-in-chief, we'll pursue our enemies with the strongest military in the world. But it's time to use the savings from ending the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan to pay down our debt and rebuild America -- our roads and bridges and schools.

Change is an America where we reduce our deficit by cutting spending where we can, and asking the wealthiest Americans to go back to the income tax rates they paid when Bill Clinton was president. I've worked with Republicans to cut a trillion dollars of spending, and I'll do more. I'll work with anyone of any party to move this country forward. But I won't agree to eliminate health insurance for millions of poor, elderly, or disabled on Medicaid, or turn Medicare into a voucher just to pay for another millionaire's tax cut.

The folks at the very top don't need another champion in Washington. The people who need a champion in Washington are the Americans whose letters I read at night; the men and women I meet on the trail every day. The cooks and cleaning staff working overtime at a Las Vegas hotel. The furniture worker retraining for a career in biotechnology at age 55. The teacher who's forced to spend less time with each student in her crowded classroom. Her kids, who dream of becoming something great. Every small business owner trying to expand and do right by his or her employees -- all of these Americans need a champion in Washington.

When these Americans do well, America does well. That's the change we need right now. It's time to finish what we've started -- to educate our kids, train our workers, create new jobs, new energy, and new opportunity -- to make sure that no matter who you are, where you come from, or how you started out, this is the country where you can make it if you try.

The America we believe in is within our reach. The future we hope for is within our sights. That's why I'm asking for your vote this Tuesday.
    So there you go, the Presidents plan in the Presidnets words, take it or leave it as you choose.

Jets Insider VIP
    And thankfully we'll have four more years of moving forward and driving our nation out of the economic ditch that trickle down tax cuts for the wealthy and unnecessary invasions of foreign nations drove us into

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

All Pro
    Crypto-Liberals of The World, Untie!

(sic)

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Crypto-Liberals of The World, Untie!

(sic)

Mental illness

Seek help

I've heard this speech before....he almost doubled the deficit, not cut it. The rest is all excuses and kumbaya.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by HessStation View Post
    I've heard this speech before...
    +1

All talk, no walk. I voted for change, not status quo. He's not getting my vote this time around.

Jets Insider VIP

Same old nonsense, nothing new, much it shameless and blatant lies. Which seems to be ok with most people these days.

I guess we'll find out soon enough just how poor a candidate Romney is. Should have been an easy victory for a center right candidate in a center right nation coming in the heels of one of the worst Presidential terms in this nation's history.

More from O today: "Voting is the best revenge!"

Revenge. Hope and change has become revenge. What a small, small man. And you'll still happily back him.

You get what you deserve.

"There's never been a day in the last four years when I have been proud to be his Vice President."

Joe Biden
    11/02/2012

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post

Same old nonsense, nothing new, much it shameless and blatant lies. Which seems to be ok with most people these days.

I guess we'll find out soon enough just how poor a candidate Romney is. Should have been an easy victory for a center right candidate in a center right nation coming in the heels of one of the worst Presidential terms in this nation's history.

More from O today: "Voting is the best revenge!"

Revenge. Hope and change has become revenge. What a small, small man. And you'll still happily back him.

You get what you deserve.
    +1. Its absolutely shocking to me how hard it is for the GOP to find a competent candidate that the rank and file are happy to stand behind. You can take pieces of a whole bunch of guys and create that candidate but each individual guy has some real noticeable and material flaw. If the GOP found that person, this election wouldn't be close.

If Christie went on a major diet and spent the next two years how to shut his mouth just a wee bit, he could be the guy.

I voted McCain but felt good about the Obama election in 08. I figured why not buy into the, "hope" thing. Maybe it really will reenergize the less fortunate...less people on welfare, less rascism, bigotry and intolerance. I think it did help a lot of Americans get past the race thing however more people are on welfare then ever with almost what seems to look more and more like self entitlement. Meanwhile small business owners have gotten crushed, the economy sucks, deficit almost doubled, homes are still a mess. So nothing good has happened and all we're hearing is more of the same. Tbh though Benghazi was the line in the sand for me. At this point I'm like, **** this guy.
    I voted Clinton and for Gore fwiw. I'm pretty much a moderate independent. I hope more like me are thinking the same.
    Last edited by HessStation; 11-02-2012 at 05:12 PM.

Four years ago, we were mired in two wars and the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. Together, we've battled our way back. The war in Iraq is over, Osama bin Laden is dead, and our heroes are coming home. Our businesses have created more than 5 million new jobs in the last two and half years. Home values and 401(k)s are rising. We are less dependent on foreign oil than at any time in the last 20 years. And the American auto industry is back.

I think it all hinges on how many people believe this.

Jets Insider VIP
    Obama 304

Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyJet View Post
    "There's never been a day in the last four years when I have been proud to be his Vice President."

Joe Biden
    11/02/2012

Worse than him saying it were the idiots cheering for him saying it...

Shows you how attentive people are I bet sg3 was at the rally...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    +1

All talk, no walk. I voted for change, not status quo. He's not getting my vote this time around.
    I wonder how many there will be who have the same opinion. Hopefully enough.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    +1. Its absolutely shocking to me how hard it is for the GOP to find a competent candidate that the rank and file are happy to stand behind. You can take pieces of a whole bunch of guys and create that candidate but each individual guy has some real noticeable and material flaw. If the GOP found that person, this election wouldn't be close.

If Christie went on a major diet and spent the next two years how to shut his mouth just a wee bit, he could be the guy.

I'll hazard a guess you're not a GOPer. OweBowMao had/has no record of accomplishing anything scholastically or professionally - he couldn't and can't even manage a sh!thouse - and it shows in his horror show of a Presidency. Let's hear who that magical GOP candidate should be and please don't tell me his last name begins with a P and ends with L. The GOP rank and file went through a primary process, remember? They picked someone with a record of accomplishment and leadership to address the economic quagmire, job 1. Not someone based on identity politics. In turn Romney picked someone who is also respected for his financial acumen. Young, not as experienced, but more solid and less airy-fairy than say a Rubio.

Like a tweenage girl obsessing about her dream Mystery Date and flitting between Romeos, would that people overconcerned about a perfect GOP candidate ever examine the other side more closely - there is the most unqualified, inept, destructive President in decades with a chequered background best cloaked in obscurity coupled with SloJo Biden, an aged, career politician known only for his daily idiotic comments lately but historically in his salad days for being a nasty (D) political hit man and wanting to sell out to Russia. They's flaws-a-plenty but these are airbrushed away by the MSM and uninquiring minds.

As for the portly panda-footed prince of posturing, with each passing day that Christie doesn't have things cleaned up, doesnt have gas in NJ pumps north of I-195 and allows union hoods to turn away help his political star fades to black. Unfair? Katrina, a Cat 5 monster storm that local (D) gov't ran away from had (D) critics raking Bush over the coals 2 days after it occurred. Sandy, a Cat 1 storm that doesnt even rank in the top 10 of all time blows through and the response in NY and NJ has been criminally sub-sub-par to say the least, particularly in (R) strongholds like Staten Italy. Days later the (D) misgoverned NYC area is still largely in the dark and amazingly will be for days yet to come. As for the rank and file GOP thoughts on Christie I can clue you in - to them between his self-promotion at the RNC and his instantly forgotten B. Hussein photo op - as forgotten as NY/NJ is now to B. Hussein who has moved on to last minute snoozefests before tepid crowds in states supposedly firmly in his column- Christie is now persona non grata nationwide and will not ever begin to sniff the Presidency running as a Republican.

Jets Insider VIP
    Progress I guess? ..

Still decrying any sort of bipartisanship like the teabagger he is...at least JSJ has finally realized that the Willard ship has sunk and is moving his hatred namecalling and bile on to the 2016 race

FOUR MORE YEARS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    +1

I guess you are one of those people that believe Rome was built in a day!

Oh wait, when Romney gets into office jobs will be falling from the sky! As Bart Scott likes to say, "Can't Wait"! Give me a break!

Quote Originally Posted by CMEC View Post

Oh wait, when Romney gets into office jobs will be falling from the sky! As Bart Scott likes to say, "Can't Wait"! Give me a break!
    Look at the whiny liberal picking on an independent. Waaaah waaaah. LOL j/k.

Sorta.

Quote Originally Posted by CMEC View Post

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I just don't get this one.

"Sure things haven't gone the way we expected. That just means things were WAY worse than we realized they were!"

1) That's not a positive statement about your side's ability to make any type of accurate forecast about the future (the stimulus was supposed to bring it down to 5.4%, remember? Now we're out billions of dollars and the unemployment rate is higher than when we started, with about 4 million people leaving the workforce)

2) Why is not even a possibility that the SLOWEST RECOVERY EVER is a result of an incorrect approach to fixing it? That a different philosophy would have us further along the path than we currently are?

I admit -- I'm not a democrat, so I see things a certain way. But this guy was a COMMUNITY ORGANIZER. He'd done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to warrant being elected in the first place, except for being black and promising "hope and change". Now, four years later, he's still black and still making promises. I get how that's enough for die-hard Democrats, but for anyone in the middle I don't see how he possibly gets another shot.

Having said that, I have no sense of peace going into Tuesday whatsoever . . .

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Progress I guess? ..

Still decrying any sort of bipartisanship like the teabagger he is...at least JSJ has finally realized that the Willard ship has sunk and is moving his hatred namecalling and bile on to the 2016 race

FOUR MORE YEARS!!!

“Mitt Romney’s fantasy that Senate Democrats will work with him to pass his ‘severely conservative’ agenda is laughable,” - Harry Reid.

When your IQ reaches room temperature...sell!