Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-13 NY Knicks Thread

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Although he's making max the next 2 years, that really isn't an obstacle because his final year will be viewed as an expiring contract. Knicks would be good to keep him and free $21 mil the following year or anothe team would want him so they could free $21 mil.
    My point, I think, is more that if we come close but fall short in 2013 it will be difficult to add a piece to put us over the top because we're paying so much to a guy who's not even starting at the moment....

And that doesn't even factor in the deterioration of older players.

The more I think about it, this year is really "the year." It's hard to imagine the 2014 or 2015 Knicks being much better than this team, and it's easy to imagine they'd be worse.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    My point, I think, is more that if we come close but fall short in 2013 it will be difficult to add a piece to put us over the top because we're paying so much to a guy who's not even starting at the moment....

And that doesn't even factor in the deterioration of older players.

The more I think about it, this year is really "the year." It's hard to imagine the 2014 or 2015 Knicks being much better than this team, and it's easy to imagine they'd be worse.
    Good points and I tend to agree except for the fact that the Knicks own a 1st rounder (which they can't trade) and the full $5 mil midlevel exception.

Because of that the window is really 2 years, this and next. That full midlevel exception will be valuable in signing a quality veteran. The Knicks aren't getting another star. Tyson and Melo are it so the key is the supporting cast.

It's important that its a 2 year window and we can see Grunwald's rationale behind building a team like this. Why? Melo has an opt-out after next season. He'd likely sign an extension because he loves the team and thinks he can win here, but going into the season Grunwald had to show Melo that he would build a contender around the star player and he succeeded.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Good points and I tend to agree except for the fact that the Knicks own a 1st rounder (which they can't trade) and the full $5 mil midlevel exception.

Because of that the window is really 2 years, this and next. That full midlevel exception will be valuable in signing a quality veteran. The Knicks aren't getting another star. Tyson and Melo are it so the key is the supporting cast.

It's important that its a 2 year window and we can see Grunwald's rationale behind building a team like this. Why? Melo has an opt-out after next season. He'd likely sign an extension because he loves the team and thinks he can win here, but going into the season Grunwald had to show Melo that he would build a contender around the star player and he succeeded.
    Grunwald has done a fantastic job, all things considered.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    Grunwald has done a fantastic job, all things considered.
    Completely agree.

Nice come from behind win last night on the road. Pekovic looks like a dungeon keeper from Medieval Times.

****ty four game stretch entering the All Star break. How many layups can you miss in one game?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    ****ty four game stretch entering the All Star break. How many layups can you miss in one game?
    Tonight might have been the most hideous offensive game the Knicks have played all season.

Knicks-Raptors reminded me of Jets-Titans, just ineptitude of the highest order. First time this season being a Knicks fan reminded me of being a Jets fan. Sort of that "why do I even bother watching?" feeling

Not like the Heat are playing great or anything, oh wait

Jets Insider VIP
    Now it's a sprint to April. March is killer with a 5 game road trip and 6 back-to-backs. Knicks are solidly in 2nd seed but can't afford slippage. This Pacers game is going to be huge because they've split the 1st 2 already.

What a joke

Pacers are the second best team in the East after Miami and it's not even close.

All Pro
    Brooklyn better then the Knicks now. Nets will win the Atlantic, book it!

Alan Hahn ‏@alanhahn
    So K-Mart may not be in a Knicks uniform until early next week.

Brewer has to pass physical with OKC before trade officially completed, then roster spot can open, which leads to officially signing Keyon.

Alan Hahn ‏@alanhahn A perspective on Kenyon Martin, from his previous general manager, Neil Olshey: http://sulia.com/c/new-york-knicks/f/84afcd39-18bd-4fff-9f6c-c8934a054b97/?source=twitter …

A perspective on Kenyon Martin, from his previous general manager, Neil Olshey:
    "He demands excellence from everyone around him," Olshey told Yahoo! Sports in November. (Olshey was the Clippers GM last season but since moved on to run the Portland Trail Blazers).

"He expects coaches to be prepared. He expects his teammates to compete at the same high level that he does," Olshey continued. "The one thing about Kenyon, if guys are not performing and are not as intense or focused on playing winning basketball, he's not reluctant to let them know about it. And I think that can be misperceived at times."

In a very physical first-round series with the Memphis Grizzlies, Martin played a major role off the bench in the Clippers' success. He came up big in Game 7 at Memphis, with 11 points, 10 rebounds and 2 blocked shots. He averaged 1.9 blocks per game in the series.

"We don't win the Memphis series [without Martin] and we certainly wouldn't have finished as high as fifth in the Western Conference without Martin," Olshey said. "His ability to impact the game by guarding multiple positions, switching pick-and-rolls, blocking shots and protecting the rim was an element we really didn't have and it made us unique. I was thrilled with Kenyon in Los Angeles. He was a good teammate."

Martin was not re-signed by the Clippers, however, and despite interest from several NBA teams, the 35-year-old veteran failed to get a contract. He acknowledged that a negative reputation -- it was reported that he often clashed with Vinny Del Negro -- cost him.

Martin has several trusted confidants in the Knicks locker room, starting with Jason Kidd, who essentially made him a star early in his career with the Nets. Martin also played in Denver with Carmelo Anthony, J.R. Smith and Marcus Camby.

Though the Heat showed some late interest, Martin agreed to take a 10-day contract with the Knicks rather than try to force them into a fully-guaranteed pro-rated vets minimum deal. Martin will have to earn the second 10-day and then a deal for the rest of the season.

The Knicks are hoping he will.

Alan Hahn ‏@alanhahn
    That's something this group of Knicks is lacking in that locker room. Someone needs to shake up the country club atmosphere, in my opinion.
    Last edited by C Mart; 02-21-2013 at 06:49 PM.

K-Mart is worth a shot. Who knows what Sheed and Camby will bring to the table. Their age and prolonged absence is not a good combination. Plus Brewer is absolutely useless.

All League
    Can someone please explain to me WTF happened to the Knicks? They looked like the best team in the east two months ago. I haven't been able to watch them much at all since I've been back in Philly for school.

But watch out for those Nets.

Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    Can someone please explain to me WTF happened to the Knicks? They looked like the best team in the east two months ago. I haven't been able to watch them much at all since I've been back in Philly for school.

But watch out for those Nets.
    The defensive effort and intensity certainly isn't there on a consistent basis.

IMO, the point guard play has been a shell of itself, both due to injury and fatigue. Kidd is already worn down and looks like ****. Felton missed some time and doesn't look the same. There isn't the same type of penetration into the paint and creative ball movement. Thus, less open looks and easy shots. Those boatload of 3's they were hitting early on just aren't falling anymore.

All League
    So they're old as **** and breaking down. Predictable.

None of this really matters this year since the Heat are going to roll the East and probably win another title.

But the Knicks need some serious youth.

Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    So they're old as **** and breaking down. Predictable.

None of this really matters this year since the Heat are going to roll the East and probably win another title.

But the Knicks need some serious youth.
    Not happening for a couple of seasons. Knicks are pretty much tied into this roster for another year or two because of contracts and the lack of other teams wanting what they have.