Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Denver and Houston...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Exactly. Denver was well on their way to a huge comeback. Pats were folding.
    Plus Peyton is still in Belicheck's head. No one will ever forget 4th and 3....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly. Denver was well on their way to a huge comeback. Pats were folding.
    So what's your prediction for the Broncos, record-wise and how far the go? They're 5-3 now and I think you said they might no lose another game + they and Texans are the favorites. So you're predicting 13-3 and at the very least AFCCG. Yes?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of it depends on whether the Pats' defense can improve slightly in the second half with the addition of a competent CB in Talib and a little bit more gelling of the younger guys. If the Patriots' offense starts clicking the way the it did against St. Louis, they are absolutely contenders in the AFC. An elite offense always has a chance.

It's not necessarily incorrect to rank Denver and even Pittsburgh ahead of the Pats, but it is definitely incorrect to think they are much, much better and that the Pats stand no chance. There's a lot of recency bias (and of course, anti-Pats bias on here) that goes into this type of thinking. To proclaim all of this in Week 9 is even more silly.... though to be fair, week to week knee-jerk reactions are what being NFL fans are all about. ;-)

I'd put the Texans in a slightly higher tier by themselves, with Broncos, Pats and Steelers being roughly interchangeable slightly below them. Who comes out of the AFC will depend largely on how the homefield/bye situation plays out.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 11-05-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Taking a snapshot halfway thru the season is just that. One frame at a point in time. There are too many variables with 8 games remaining to crown an AFCCC at this point. Key injuries, bad bounces, teams offenses/defenses coming together and peaking too early or peaking later, weather, etc.

Sit back and enjoy the rest of the season, it's FOOTBALL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Houston is flawed... Anyone who stops the run can beat that team..

Denver has their issues too but they are better. Especially for the playoffs.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    So what's your prediction for the Broncos, record-wise and how far the go? They're 5-3 now and I think you said they might no lose another game + they and Texans are the favorites. So you're predicting 13-3 and at the very least AFCCG. Yes?
    I'm sure they will prolly lose a game or 2 the rest of the way. I'd say they finish 12-4 or 11-5 worst case, and yes, I think they will get to the AFC Championship game. Why would anyone find it weird to predict the Broncos to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl? The team was like 8-3 with Tebow at QB, and made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs. I say adding one of the best QBs to ever play the game would put them into the AFC Favorite category.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Plus Peyton is still in Belicheck's head. No one will ever forget 4th and 3....
    And no one will ever forget the Jets 17-7 win in the 1970 Super Bowl.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Houston is flawed... Anyone who stops the run can beat that team..

Denver has their issues too but they are better. Especially for the playoffs.
    It comes down to Manning vs. Schaub, an I'll take Manning every time. I don't see Schaub ever coming up big in a big time spot. Denver's D is also very underrated. People don't realize that they are 2nd in the NFL in yards per play, meaning they are pretty much the 2nd ranked D in the NFL. They are also top 5 in yards per rush, top 10 in yards per pass, and their 24 sacks is top 5 in the league (not sure their is a better edge rushing duo in the league).

One of the bet Defenses in the league and one of the best QBs of all time... How are they not a favorite to win it all? #WhatDidIMiss

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    And no one will ever forget the Jets 17-7 win in the 1970 Super Bowl.
    1970 Super Bowl was Chiefs vs. Vikings, but thanks for the valuable participation, trollbox.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the bet Defenses in the league and one of the best QBs of all time... How are they not a favorite to win it all? #WhatDidIMiss
    I think it has something to do with the fact that Peyton Manning looks more like Chad Pennington 2.0 than his old self and that his team is 1-3 against other likely playoff teams.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    1970 Super Bowl was Chiefs vs. Vikings, but thanks for the valuable participation, trollbox.
    Let me try something more your speed. Who could ever forget #98 for the Jets, Mark Gastineau? I see you missed the point of my post.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let me try something more your speed. Who could ever forget #98 for the Jets, Mark Gastineau? I see you missed the point of my post.
    Good one

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it has something to do with the fact that Peyton Manning looks more like Chad Pennington 2.0 than his old self and that his team is 1-3 against other likely playoff teams.
    LOL... 108 passer rating, 70% completion pct and 20 TDs vs. 6 INTs. Yep, Manning has been terrible this year.

Psst... don't look at his number over the past 5 games or you'll feel really dumb.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bears-Texans is the most appealing Sunday night matchup all year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm leaning more towards your school of thought on Manning.

He's played well this year, but I think people need to tap the breaks a little bit on the Peyton hype. I've always loved the guy, but his arm is definitely weaker. Hand in hand with that, he can barely throw a tight spiral anymore.

He's definitely the smartest QB of all time and can mask that weakness better than anyone else, but I'm really anxious to see how he plays in the cold weather. He only has a few away games in likely cold climates (@ KC in Week 12 and @ Baltimore in Week 15), but I think Peyton is going to be a little more turnover prone in the second half than in the first half of the year. JMO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    I'm leaning more towards your school of thought on Manning.

He's played well this year, but I think people need to tap the breaks a little bit on the Peyton hype. I've always loved the guy, but his arm is definitely weaker. Hand in hand with that, he can barely throw a tight spiral anymore.

He's definitely the smartest QB of all time and can mask that weakness better than anyone else, but I'm really anxious to see how he plays in the cold weather. He only has a few away games in likely cold climates (@ KC in Week 12 and @ Baltimore in Week 15), but I think Peyton is going to be a little more turnover prone in the second half than in the first half of the year. JMO.
    15 TDs in the last 5 games, over 300 yards in each, an completing like 77%. Wow, imagine what he'd be doing with full arm strength!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    15 TDs in the last 5 games, over 300 yards in each, an completing like 77%. Wow, imagine what he'd be doing with full arm strength!
    Let's let the season play out. He's playing phenomenally, don't get me wrong, but he's had to slightly alter his game.

He hasn't been exactly playing the '85 Bears these past 5 weeks too. And this is coming from a big Peyton Manning fan.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Plus Peyton is still in Belicheck's head.
    Seriously???

Do you know Peyton's career record versus BB and the Patriots?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Seriously???

Do you know Peyton's career record versus BB and the Patriots?
    Imagine what Manning will do to that Pats secondary in the playoffs? You know, the one that made Sanchez look like an above average NFL QB. Yikes

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Imagine what Manning will do to that Pats secondary in the playoffs? You know, the one that made Sanchez look like an above average NFL QB. Yikes
    Probably what he did in their first game this season. Except they have a slight upgrade in Talib.

Brady has put up 41, 45, and 31 on the Broncos defense in the last 3 games going back to last season. Imagine what Brady will do to them in the playoffs, especially if it's in NE? Yikes.