Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you think we could trade Revis for Von Miller?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Depends on how you look at it. The other team would be sacrificing their #1, but they'd be taking your best defender out of every play, and forcing the remaining 10 guys on defense to come up with stops.

This is why, in my view, it doesn't make sense to spend that much of a teams salary cap on a single CB, no matter how good he is.
    I don't claim to be an expert at defenses in the NFL by any means, but when we hear time and time again that having revis allows your D to do things they wouldn't normally be able to do....... I tend to believe them. It comes from not just Rex's mouth, but analysts too. I get what your saying and it could be viewed that way too. I just like knowing that the offense's best WR is taken out and you have to worry about stoping their 2nd, 3rd or even 4th option.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    I don't claim to be an expert at defenses in the NFL by any means, but when we hear time and time again that having revis allows your D to do things they wouldn't normally be able to do....... I tend to believe them. It comes from not just Rex's mouth, but analysts too. I get what your saying and it could be viewed that way too. I just like knowing that the offense's best WR is taken out and you have to worry about stoping their 2nd, 3rd or even 4th option.
    I agree that having Revis allows us to do other things on defense. Thing is, other teams have really good corners, who aren't the absolute best, who don't demand to be the highest paid player at their position (or on defense in general) and their defenses can do the other things as well.

Another thing is that having $20 million of your cap tied up between 2 CBs means that you have less money to get high quality players at other positions on defense.

Dodn't get me wrong here either, there are other inflated/bloated contracts on Dd that aren't helping the situation either, but those contracts are commiserate with the position, we're just paying the wrong guys those amounts.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    they would never give up an elite pass rusher for a corner coming off season ending injury...

if he didn't have an injury, they still wouldn't give up an elite pass rusher.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never in a million years would denver trade miller for revis, its ridiculous to even suggest it.

Its amazing how difficult of a next 2 offseasons this team is going to have. We are going into 2013 with a non-playoff team, tied to an underachieving QB who we guaranteed $17 million to. Our best player will be coming back from a big injury and will be facing COMPLETE unrestricted free agency (no ability to franchise him).

It is going to take a lot of work to figure out what to do with Revis and where to find a QB....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since elite pass rushers grow on trees, i'm sure we could get him pretty easily...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dump.

Please also have a clue how Trades work in the NFL before you post a proposed trade.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Broncos are still laughing their ass off at the 4th round pick they got for Tebow.
    They'd be laughing if they got a bag of Utz BBQ.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis might go down as the GOAT CB. Not as far fetched as you guys might think. It really depends on his injury.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    In all seriousness if we're going to talk about trading a CB on this team, it should be Antonio Cromartie. Sell him while his stock his high and people are over-rating him.

As the previous poster said, Darrelle Revis has a chance to become the greatest Cornerback of all-time. I'm sorry, but you don't let him go unless he refuses to re-sign. You don't.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why break up the best cb duo in the league.. Just sign or draft your own pass rusher..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    Why break up the best cb duo in the league.. Just sign or draft your own pass rusher..
    Because the best duo in the league is going to cost 23 mil or 1/5 of all the money you have to spend for 53 players.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Because the best duo in the league is going to cost 23 mil or 1/5 of all the money you have to spend for 53 players.
    It's clear the jets plan is to have a loaded secondary and draft young talent up front. If you traded revis who would you sign with that money? There's nobody in free agency the jets could sign that would give the same value. Overpaying for average pass rushers like pace is a stupid idea. Just draft young front 7 talent and keep the strong secondary intact.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    In all seriousness if we're going to talk about trading a CB on this team, it should be Antonio Cromartie. Sell him while his stock his high and people are over-rating him.

As the previous poster said, Darrelle Revis has a chance to become the greatest Cornerback of all-time. I'm sorry, but you don't let him go unless he refuses to re-sign. You don't.

So what ? Are Jets fans so starved that they are willing to overpay for a CB just so that they can say "Hey, we had the GREATEST CB ever ??

You do let him go when the money he demands exceeds the value of the position that he plays.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So what ? Are Jets fans so starved that they are willing to overpay for a CB just so that they can say "Hey, we had the GREATEST CB ever ??

You do let him go when the money he demands exceeds the value of the position that he plays.
    No matter how you slice one he proves he is back and healthy he will become the highest defensive back in football via it be the jets or any other team.

How do you overpay the best at his position? the market set determines his value and he is at premium position no matter how y'all refuse to believe it. Average CB's get overpaid ever year in Free agency.

The money freed up between Scott and pace alone will be more than enough to help us improve other areas.no need to trade the best jets player since Curtis Martin..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    No matter how you slice one he proves he is back and healthy he will become the highest defensive back in football via it be the jets or any other team.

How do you overpay the best at his position? the market set determines his value and he is at premium position no matter how y'all refuse to believe it. Average CB's get overpaid ever year in Free agency.

The money freed up between Scott and pace alone will be more than enough to help us improve other areas.no need to trade the best jets player since Curtis Martin..
    How do you overpay the best at his position ? By paying him more than the position is possibly worth. The market can get seriously skewed when you have silly people doing really dumb stuff, like when Dan Snyder decides to go shopping in Washington.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    It's clear the jets plan is to have a loaded secondary and draft young talent up front. If you traded revis who would you sign with that money? There's nobody in free agency the jets could sign that would give the same value. Overpaying for average pass rushers like pace is a stupid idea. Just draft young front 7 talent and keep the strong secondary intact.
    First, Revis "cannot" be traded. The cap hit from his remaining un-amortized bonus has him cheaper to keep next year than to traded or cut.

The jets don't have a strong secondary to keep intact- you realize that both Landry and Bell are FA after this year. Having two superior corners that account for 40% of the money you allocate to your D, Will not allow you to retain those 9 other players on D when they come off their rookie deals.

No, I dont think big money FA is the way to go. FA is to fill the final piece, not build a team. That is why the jets are 20 mill over the cap next year while the pats are 20 mill under and the dolphins 40 mill under. Mega contracts for Pace, Scott, Holmes and Cro now prevent the jets from reloading next year. (trading draft picks for players in thier last year to me is the same as Signing a FA)

You build a team thru the draft and fill your roster with "cheap" 2 mill a year FA, guys that can play and have played but just aveage. Then when you are competive for a SB run, you will have the cap $$ to sign a couple of big names without restructuring 1/2 the team.

Revis' agents took Tanny to school on his contract. To extend his rookie contract to delay him becoming a FA by 2 years, the jets took away the ability to tag him and tacked on phony years on the end that will make the cap hit for trading him more than the cap hit to trade him.

The jets went for the brass ring and missed, they need to rebuild.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Cutting Scott and Pace is little more than a drop in the bucket in turning this team around. The jets are 20 mill over the cap and they have 16 players that start or play significant min that are FA. After cutting Scott, pace, eric smith, Jason Smith and Pouha the jets are about 20 mill under the cap.

The league mandates that the jets allocate about 6 mill to next years rookies, that leaves 14 mill to replace (picking around #10)
    Scott-Pace-Thomas-Mauga at LB
    Landry-Bell at Safety
    Pouha and Devito at Dline
    THEN
    Slauson, Moore, Smith, on the oline, and Howard is a RFA that gets a 2 mill bump or he is a free agent.
    Greene at RB
    Keller at TE
    Cumberland is a rfa and will require a bump.
    Folk at Kicker
    Malone is a RFA and will also require a bump in salary.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Cutting Scott and Pace is little more than a drop in the bucket in turning this team around. The jets are 20 mill over the cap and they have 16 players that start or play significant min that are FA. After cutting Scott, pace, eric smith, Jason Smith and Pouha the jets are about 20 mill under the cap.

The league mandates that the jets allocate about 6 mill to next years rookies, that leaves 14 mill to replace (picking around #10)
    Scott-Pace-Thomas-Mauga at LB
    Landry-Bell at Safety
    Pouha and Devito at Dline
    THEN
    Slauson, Moore, Smith, on the oline, and Howard is a RFA that gets a 2 mill bump or he is a free agent.
    Greene at RB
    Keller at TE
    Cumberland is a rfa and will require a bump.
    Folk at Kicker
    Malone is a RFA and will also require a bump in salary.
    You can sign a good TE, S, and G for all under 3 mil those are not prime positions. Also the rooks are not part of that 121mil cap # you keep quoting. Right now our cap limit is 130mil with rooks and the 4 mil carry over we had last year. Yeah our rooks where cheap. Not sure about the carry over but we do have 5 mil still according to our cap page. Cap wise we are fine none of those FA are tagging at 12 mil tag. Even if we tagged Landry S has the 2nd lowest tag at like 6 mil but he likely signs at lower. TE,G, and S are all cheap positions to resign. Then there is the fact that if you sign a tenured vet about 700k isn't against the cap. So a guy like Moore is actually cheap to keep. Where as I don't see Keller coming back we can still replace him with ease IMO.

K and Ps don't make over a mil so no issue there as well. The rest are trash I wouldn't give a wheat penny for. heck I'm betting Pouha will be making around 1 mil next year. He is old, injured, and not playing well when he does right now. Add in the rooks we would still have over 10 mil to spend on finding roster depth better then the players on that list. Lets be honest a UDFA can play better then Page, Scott, Greene, or Smith. This year was much wost for our cap then next year despite the 20 mil over number it shows. We just have a lot of movable cap is all but we are fine. You want to talk cap hell look at Oakland who will be 20 mil under but a bunch of it's best players hitting the FA market. Matt and Wheeler alone are worth more then all of our FA combined. Do they tag Matt? If so say goodby to that 20 mill and all those other FAs. Right now the Oakland GM wishes he had our problems.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    How do you overpay the best at his position ? By paying him more than the position is possibly worth. The market can get seriously skewed when you have silly people doing really dumb stuff, like when Dan Snyder decides to go shopping in Washington.
    So you're trying to tell us that Revis couldn't get more money than Julius Peppers on the FA market? Certainly you can't believe that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    You can sign a good TE, S, and G for all under 3 mil those are not prime positions. Also the rooks are not part of that 121mil cap # you keep quoting. Right now our cap limit is 130mil with rooks and the 4 mil carry over we had last year. Yeah our rooks where cheap. Not sure about the carry over but we do have 5 mil still according to our cap page. Cap wise we are fine none of those FA are tagging at 12 mil tag. Even if we tagged Landry S has the 2nd lowest tag at like 6 mil but he likely signs at lower. TE,G, and S are all cheap positions to resign. Then there is the fact that if you sign a tenured vet about 700k isn't against the cap. So a guy like Moore is actually cheap to keep. Where as I don't see Keller coming back we can still replace him with ease IMO.

K and Ps don't make over a mil so no issue there as well. The rest are trash I wouldn't give a wheat penny for. heck I'm betting Pouha will be making around 1 mil next year. He is old, injured, and not playing well when he does right now. Add in the rooks we would still have over 10 mil to spend on finding roster depth better then the players on that list. Lets be honest a UDFA can play better then Page, Scott, Greene, or Smith. This year was much wost for our cap then next year despite the 20 mil over number it shows. We just have a lot of movable cap is all but we are fine. You want to talk cap hell look at Oakland who will be 20 mil under but a bunch of it's best players hitting the FA market. Matt and Wheeler alone are worth more then all of our FA combined. Do they tag Matt? If so say goodby to that 20 mill and all those other FAs. Right now the Oakland GM wishes he had our problems.
    First who cares about Oakland? And why would you even bring another team up just because they are in a worse predicament?

And no an UNFA can not play better than Pace, Scott, Greene or Smith, or the current back ups would be starting. Rex or any coach needs to win to
    keep his job. They would play the better player if there was one.

It does not matter if you think the positions to be filled are not "prime" To get a vet guard to come here that will be an improvement over Slauson or Moore your looking at around 3 mill a piece at minimum.

Landry will probably want 3 and 15 total at min if he takes a discount to stay. Bell would probably stay for 1.5 too.

Please tell me what starting TE are you going to get for 3mill. Bennet signed a one year 2.5 deal with the giants last year, but he was the only TE that move that cheaply. And he only did that for a shot at a ring and to play with Manning. Any other guy was not somebody you would want to start.

Why do you think Moore will sign a vet min deal with the Jets? You don't think he can get a back up gig for twice that somewhere. Likewise Pouha, who will get an incentive laden contract somewhere, NTs are hard to find.
    I have no doubt that BB would sign Pouha to back up Wilfork for 20 snaps.

Folk will get at least 2.5 on the open Market. He has had a very good year. the best kickers get 3.5-4 mil now.

This is a site with a prelimainry list of 2013 FA. Please pick out 12 guys that you could sign for 1 mill each.

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/featu.../fa.php?y=2013