Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 62

Thread: How Romney can win

  1. #41
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,930
    Post Thanks / Like
    All right, I'll admit it. I'll be ****ing AMAZED if Obama wins.

  2. #42
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,086
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

    I too want every ELIGIBLE voter to vote, if they want to vote.
    i'd like to see about ten percent of the country vote, tops.

  3. #43
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,895
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I too want every ELIGIBLE voter to vote, if they want to vote.
    I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I disagree about the desire to see as many people vote as possible.

    Voting is a fundamental right of all citizens, but in my opinion, an uniformed vote is potentially more harmful and dangerous than no vote at all. It certainly enables the continuation of the failing two party system.

    There is a reason why politically corrupt nations and systems of government frequently enact compulsory/mandatory voting: it legitimizes the system at face value. The right to vote should come with the right to not vote.

    Making a blind decision is not a noble act in my opinion, and actually leads to a decrease in the quality of the political system as a whole. Too many people vote for labels without thought, candidates they know absolutely nothing about besides for the letter next to their names, and amendments/propositions which they have not read and do not understand at all.

    Just my opinion, but if you have no idea what is going on politically in this country, stay home and don't become an enabler of a failing system. You may have good intentions, but you are doing more harm than good.

  4. #44
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's funny how easily a liberal or Democrat (like the two above me, para being sorta liberal IMO) can get away with a direct desire for voter supression.

    But when you support vote ID Checks, you're suddenly re-enacting Jim Crow Laws.

    /shrug

  5. #45
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,445
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    It's funny how easily a liberal or Democrat (like the two above me, para being sorta liberal IMO) can get away with a direct desire for voter supression.

    But when you support vote ID Checks, you're suddenly re-enacting Jim Crow Laws.

    /shrug
    LOL. Exactly.

    "uninformed voter". I think he means someone that gets their news from the MSM.

  6. #46
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,895
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    It's funny how easily a liberal or Democrat (like the two above me, para being sorta liberal IMO) can get away with a direct desire for voter supression.

    But when you support vote ID Checks, you're suddenly re-enacting Jim Crow Laws.

    /shrug
    I have no desire for voter suppression. Anyone who is eligible to vote and has the desire, by all means, do so. My opinion is that uninformed voters do more harm than good, but that doesn't mean they should be systematically suppressed.

  7. #47
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,215
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I disagree about the desire to see as many people vote as possible.

    Voting is a fundamental right of all citizens, but in my opinion, an uniformed vote is potentially more harmful and dangerous than no vote at all. It certainly enables the continuation of the failing two party system.

    There is a reason why politically corrupt nations and systems of government frequently enact compulsory/mandatory voting: it legitimizes the system at face value. The right to vote should come with the right to not vote.

    Making a blind decision is not a noble act in my opinion, and actually leads to a decrease in the quality of the political system as a whole. Too many people vote for labels without thought, candidates they know absolutely nothing about besides for the letter next to their names, and amendments/propositions which they have not read and do not understand at all.

    Just my opinion, but if you have no idea what is going on politically in this country, stay home and don't become an enabler of a failing system. You may have good intentions, but you are doing more harm than good.
    I agree with this, which is why I believe anyone who "really" wants to vote will find a way to do so.

    That doesn't mean make it difficult, but stop bending over backwards to find ways to get people to pull a lever (literally or symbolically). Maybe if elections stopped becoming glorified popularity contests we'd see some real "hope and change". . .

  8. #48
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,001
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    I have no desire for voter suppression. Anyone who is eligible to vote and has the desire, by all means, do so. My opinion is that uninformed voters do more harm than good, but that doesn't mean they should be systematically suppressed.
    I agree.

    I would also prefer the uninformed not vote. That doesn't mean i support suppressing them. Suppression is an act. I just happen to believe the: "It doesn't matter who you vote for so long as you vote" line of thinking is idiotic. I abstained in '04. Seriously considered it in '08. Many people are of the belief that doing is unpatriotic and even morally wrong. I just don't understand the logic behind that line of thinking.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    576
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Well, woulda been in the first few guesses aye. But we've had alot of folks come and go over the years, especially during election time (i.e. Yellow Submarine, for example, only appears during election time).

    Welcome back. I was in No. Ireland since the last time we talked, for my first time, seeing my mum. If I recall, you're the transplant from Ireland, right? It was amazing being there, got a tour of Belfast from a lifelong resident and "troubles" expert, if you know what I mean.



    Very, very, VERY hard to read, especially up here in NoVa. Alot less yard signs for Obama and bumper stickers for Obama that last go-round, thats about the only thing here I am sure of. How that plays into the actual turnout, here up north, or turnout down south, it's just hard to say.

    Like the entire election, it seems, it could go either way.
    I'm from the Lower Ormeau Road in Belfast. The Troubles are the reason my family left in the late 80's. Now that those days are over, Belfast has really become a great city. I think it blows Dublin out of the water.
    Last edited by 21st Amendment; 11-05-2012 at 11:16 PM.

  10. #50
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    818
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    The Constitution is very clear the Congress shall set an election day.

    Before you lecture us about being a traitor to this country read the Constitution.

    Clause 4: Election day




    People should all vote on the same day so they are not impacted by the results of early voting. People who know the outcome ahead of time are less likely to vote.

    The argument that people are too lazy to vote on the same day and need more convenience doesn't cut it for me. Far as I know you can drive your Medicaid paid for scoter with your fat ass on it up the ramp of your handicapped accessible voting place on the same day that everyone else votes on.
    Yes, an election day, back when the population was maybe 20% of what it is now. If 90% of the voting populace decided to vote on one day, do you really believe the voting system could handle it? Look at all the problems we have now in some states, and that's with barely half of eligible voters voting.

    You have to deal with things the way they really ARE, not how you WANT them to be. If you're worried about election results influencing the vote, then withhold election information until all the results are in.

  11. #51
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    818
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    I agree.

    I would also prefer the uninformed not vote. That doesn't mean i support suppressing them. Suppression is an act. I just happen to believe the: "It doesn't matter who you vote for so long as you vote" line of thinking is idiotic. I abstained in '04. Seriously considered it in '08. Many people are of the belief that doing is unpatriotic and even morally wrong. I just don't understand the logic behind that line of thinking.
    You couldn't find a third party candidate to vote for?

  12. #52
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,001
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyStylez View Post
    You couldn't find a third party candidate to vote for?
    Probably could have. Now i would likely go vote libertarian. Back in '04 all i was really sure of was that is that the R and D candidates were terrible. So far as 3rd party candidates went, i was one of those uninformed voters that i think should stay away from the voting booth.

  13. #53
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    818
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cool

    Politics would be so much better of more people voted third party.

  14. #54
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,001
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyStylez View Post
    Politics would be so much better of more people voted third party.
    Politics would be so much better if federal elections involved a runoff system. Therefore removing the choice between making a symbolic vote of dissent for a 3rd party, or choosing the lesser of the two evil's R and D offer up.

    Unfortunately i doubt we'll see that in my lifetime.

  15. #55
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,179
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyStylez View Post
    Yes, an election day, back when the population was maybe 20% of what it is now. If 90% of the voting populace decided to vote on one day, do you really believe the voting system could handle it? Look at all the problems we have now in some states, and that's with barely half of eligible voters voting.

    You have to deal with things the way they really ARE, not how you WANT them to be. If you're worried about election results influencing the vote, then withhold election information until all the results are in.
    There isn't one school house across town to vote in and my horse doesn't need to be feed to get me to my polling place.

    Are you really arguing that people can't vote because our modern society and technology can't handle the increased load? American Idol processes 70 million votes in 2 hours.

    Who exactly is going to withhold those results? They are being leaked out now for political gain.


    I get it the public is fat and lazy but fat and lazy doesn't improve by bringing the ice cream cone to their bed every time they want to eat one. Stop making excuses for the lack of voting.

    We have an election cycle for a reason, we have an election day for a reason and they are valid.

  16. #56
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    State Location Here
    Posts
    7,989
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    My opinion is that uninformed voters do more harm than good.
    How can anyone possibly disagree with this? We're just 4 years removed from history's most glaring example of the damage uninformed voters can do.

  17. #57
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    How can anyone possibly disagree with this? We're just 4 years removed from history's most glaring example of the damage uninformed voters can do.
    Allowing a minority of the ignorant to vote for Sarah Palin to be one heartbeat away from POTUS???

    Have to agree

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

  18. #58
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,895
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    Politics would be so much better if federal elections involved a runoff system. Therefore removing the choice between making a symbolic vote of dissent for a 3rd party, or choosing the lesser of the two evil's R and D offer up.

    Unfortunately i doubt we'll see that in my lifetime.
    +1

    I would also love to see electoral college splits at the state level instead of the current "winner takes all" approach for most states.

    If a candidate wins a state 51% to 49%, why do they get all of the electoral votes? There should be a defined split in the electoral votes based on the popular vote breakdown.

  19. #59
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,573
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyStylez View Post
    Yes, an election day, back when the population was maybe 20% of what it is now. If 90% of the voting populace decided to vote on one day, do you really believe the voting system could handle it? Look at all the problems we have now in some states, and that's with barely half of eligible voters voting.

    You have to deal with things the way they really ARE, not how you WANT them to be. If you're worried about election results influencing the vote, then withhold election information until all the results are in.
    Huh? I live in New York, we don't have early voting and it is never a problem. I voted this morning and waited all of 3 minutes on line.

  20. #60
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    818
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    There isn't one school house across town to vote in and my horse doesn't need to be feed to get me to my polling place.

    Are you really arguing that people can't vote because our modern society and technology can't handle the increased load? American Idol processes 70 million votes in 2 hours.

    Who exactly is going to withhold those results? They are being leaked out now for political gain.


    I get it the public is fat and lazy but fat and lazy doesn't improve by bringing the ice cream cone to their bed every time they want to eat one. Stop making excuses for the lack of voting.

    We have an election cycle for a reason, we have an election day for a reason and they are valid.
    It has nothing to do with voters being fat and lazy. It has to do with whether the voting system in this country can handle 100% voter participation in one day with no major hiccups. You seem to have a lot of faith that it can, despite obvious evidence to the contrary. I don't share your optimistic appraisal of the situation. I don't get why you're so insistent that voting HAS to take place in one day. Why exactly does it bother you so much?

    Please don't tell me you compared American Idol voting with the presidential election. The stakes are quite a bit higher, you know.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us