Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Romney can win

Jets Insider VIP
    Durden, these are the games both sides have been playing with election rules since their inception. Don't see you complaining when Democrats are redistricting all over the map, which actually has an impact on election results. Or is it that you believe this is the first time this has ever happened or that the GOP is the only side that does it?

I think it's funny you all have different usernames from being banned so many times in the past. LOL. <3

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Durden, these are the games both sides have been playing with election rules since their inception. Don't see you complaining when Democrats are redistricting all over the map, which actually has an impact on election results. Or is it that you believe this is the first time this has ever happened or that the GOP is the only side that does it?
    Both sides play games, well aware of that, but you can not dispute that the Republican Party requirers voter turnout to be down for them to win elections. Democrats obviously want more voters. And that's when you get posters like OCCH who sees absolutely no problem saying the right to vote should not be easy or convenient for Americans. No wonder these governors and sec. of states are wiling to play these games. There is not a legitimate reason to turn voting into an act of heroism. It's outrageous to expect people to wait in line to vote for 2-3 hours and in the case of Florida this weekend 6-8 hours. Who has that kind of time? Especially on a Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Amendment View Post
    Both sides play games, well aware of that, but you can not dispute that the Republican Party requirers voter turnout to be down for them to win elections. And that's when you get posters like OCCH who sees absolutely no problem saying the right to vote should not be easy or convenient for Americans. No wonder these governors and sec. of states are will to play these games. There is not a legitimate reason to turn voting into "an act of heroism". It's outrageous to expect people to wait in line to vote for 2-3 hours and in the case of Florida this weekend 6-8 hours. Who has that kind of time? Especially on a Tuesday.
    I never said voting should be difficult -- I guess we just have different definitions of "convenient".

Did they still have early voting? Yes, just not as much as you would have liked. Are the ones who didn't get it done still able to vote on the actual election day? Yes, but for some reason there's a list of reasons why that's not a fair and reasonable alternative.

You're the one who said this is "how Romney can win", so apparently you think it's a big enough deal to be a game changer. Yet something tells me you're not nearly as concerned over the Republican myth of voter fraud . . .
    Last edited by OCCH; 11-04-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Both sides play games, well aware of that, but you can not dispute that the Republican Party requirers voter turnout to be down for them to win elections. Democrats obviously want more voters. And that's when you get posters like OCCH who sees absolutely no problem saying the right to vote should not be easy or convenient for Americans. No wonder these governors and sec. of states are wiling to play these games. There is not a legitimate reason to turn voting into an act of heroism. It's outrageous to expect people to wait in line to vote for 2-3 hours and in the case of Florida this weekend 6-8 hours. Who has that kind of time? Especially on a Tuesday.
    In other words, you're aware that both sides do it but don't care when one side does and are outraged when it's the other

All Pro
    Polls are open 12 hours or more in most states on election day, as early as 6 or 7 AM.

I had to go out of town and requested an absentee ballot a month ago and filled it out and submitted it at the elections office 10 days ago.

There's no freakin' excuse for anyone not to vote.

unless you're a serviceman overseas that b. hussein has failed to
    send a ballot to

think progress.

LMAO

Cool

I can't believe this is even an argument, but the right wing in this country has gone off the deep end and taken a good number of voters with it.

How in the **** can anyone...ANYONE...argue against extra convienience to vote for the office of president? People work, they have jobs, families, responsibilities, and in some cases physical conditions, ALL of which may keep some people from waiting in line for hours at a time. We're supposed to be the one remaining superpower on this planet but we can't have early voting in every state? We can't agree that it is in the best interest of our democracy to make it as easy as possible for eligible voters to cast their vote? Jesus Christ, how is this even an issue???

If you actually argue against early voting for everybody, then quite frankly you're either a traitor to this country or hopelessly ignorant. This is not a Dem or Repub issue, this is a VOTING issue. I want every eligible voter to vote, and if the GOP wins, then so be it. At least everyone's voice was heard.

For ****'s sake, can we not politicize every ****ing thing?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyStylez View Post
    I can't believe this is even an argument, but the right wing in this country has gone off the deep end and taken a good number of voters with it.

How in the **** can anyone...ANYONE...argue against extra convienience to vote for the office of president? People work, they have jobs, families, responsibilities, and in some cases physical conditions, ALL of which may keep some people from waiting in line for hours at a time. We're supposed to be the one remaining superpower on this planet but we can't have early voting in every state? We can't agree that it is in the best interest of our democracy to make it as easy as possible for eligible voters to cast their vote? Jesus Christ, how is this even an issue???

If you actually argue against early voting for everybody, then quite frankly you're either a traitor to this country or hopelessly ignorant. This is not a Dem or Repub issue, this is a VOTING issue. I want every eligible voter to vote, and if the GOP wins, then so be it. At least everyone's voice was heard.

That's becaus the argument isn't whether it should be convenient, it's whether it already IS CONVENIENT. Any of those people could have easily taken one extra step and filled out an absantee ballot if they didn't want to wait. This gets politicized by both sides anyway. What's there to be so up in arms about, I'm not sure.
    Last edited by HessStation; 11-05-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Jets Insider VIP

The right wing, huh?

I could apply your entire argument to the voter ID discussion. There's simply no real justification against. The minimal additional cost of providing state issued ID is no more than the extra cost of keeping the polls open longer.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    The right wing, huh?

I could apply your entire argument to the voter ID discussion. There's simply no real justification against. The minimal additional cost of providing state issued ID is no more than the extra cost of keeping the polls open longer.
    I don't have a problem with showing some form of positive ID in order to vote, as long as it's not used to disenfranchise certain voting blocks. Many elderly do not have driver licenses, so maybe exceptions could be made for them. I just want all eligible voters to be able to vote. If that turns out to be in favor of one party, the the other party should make strides to make their platform more appealing.

I am against early voting.

I am for a National Holiday on Election Day.

And I am for 100% mandatory ID checks (and a freely issued, Federal Voter ID Card) for all elections.

I too want every ELIGIBLE voter to vote, if they want to vote.

I also do not want a single IN-eligible voter to vote. Not one.

There is nothing political about this position as I pretty much loathe both (R) and (D). In my view, this is basic system design common sense.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I am against early voting.

I am for a National Holiday on Election Day.

And I am for 100% mandatory ID checks (and a freely issued, Federal Voter ID Card) for all elections.

I too want every ELIGIBLE voter to vote, if they want to vote.

I also do not want a single IN-eligible voter to vote. Not one.

There is nothing political about this position as I pretty much loathe both (R) and (D). In my view, this is basic system design common sense.
    Why are you against early voting? There are 210 million eligible voters in this country. Do we want all of them voting in just one day? Why not a three day voting holiday.

There are 210 million eligible voters in this country. Do we want all of them voting in just one day?
    Yes.

Why are you against early voting? There are 210 million eligible voters in this country. Do we want all of them voting in just one day? Why not a three day voting holiday.
    I'd love to have the problem of too many people voting. Unfortunately we can't even get 2/3 of the nation to do it, and that's WITH alternative voting options.

I fully agree everyone should feel free to vote. I'm just having trouble with the idea that they don't already have that feeling . . .

The Constitution is very clear the Congress shall set an election day.

Before you lecture us about being a traitor to this country read the Constitution.

Clause 4: Election day

The Congress may determine the Time of chusing [sic] the Electors, and the Day on which they shall give their Votes; which Day shall be the same throughout the United States.

Congress sets a national Election Day. Currently, Electors are chosen on the Tuesday following the first Monday in November, in the year before the President's term is to expire. The Electors cast their votes on the Monday following the second Wednesday in December of that year. Thereafter, the votes are opened and counted by the Vice President, as President of the Senate, in a joint session of Congress.
    People should all vote on the same day so they are not impacted by the results of early voting. People who know the outcome ahead of time are less likely to vote.

The argument that people are too lazy to vote on the same day and need more convenience doesn't cut it for me. Far as I know you can drive your Medicaid paid for scoter with your fat ass on it up the ramp of your handicapped accessible voting place on the same day that everyone else votes on.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 11-05-2012 at 11:40 AM.

So, 21st.....

....who are you?

You're obviously a previous poster of one form or another. Previously banned, other screen names, etc, etc, etc. No one comes to J.I. to only post in the Poli-Sci section exclusively named after something socio-political.

So. Which one are you?

Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    So, 21st.....

....who are you?

You're obviously a previous poster of one form or another. Previously banned, other screen names, etc, etc, etc. No one comes to J.I. to only post in the Poli-Sci section exclusively named after something socio-political.

So. Which one are you?

Just curious.
    Tyler Durden, figured it was obvious.

I gotta question for you as well, which way you think Virginia is leaning? Also any chance of a ticket spitting in Virginia? Romney/Kaine win or Obama/Allen win.
    Last edited by 21st Amendment; 11-05-2012 at 02:29 PM.

Tyler Durden, figured it was obvious.
    Well, woulda been in the first few guesses aye. But we've had alot of folks come and go over the years, especially during election time (i.e. Yellow Submarine, for example, only appears during election time).

Welcome back. I was in No. Ireland since the last time we talked, for my first time, seeing my mum. If I recall, you're the transplant from Ireland, right? It was amazing being there, got a tour of Belfast from a lifelong resident and "troubles" expert, if you know what I mean.

I gotta question for you as well, which way you think Virginia is leaning? Also any chance of a ticket spitting in Virginia? Romney/Kaine win or Obama/Allen win.
    Very, very, VERY hard to read, especially up here in NoVa. Alot less yard signs for Obama and bumper stickers for Obama that last go-round, thats about the only thing here I am sure of. How that plays into the actual turnout, here up north, or turnout down south, it's just hard to say.

Like the entire election, it seems, it could go either way.
    Last edited by Warfish; 11-05-2012 at 03:05 PM.