Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greg Jennings

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Greg Jennings

In advance, forgive my cap ignorance. I don't know how much room the Jets will have next year or anything like that, just been thinking about this in recent weeks with Jennings injury.

It's very apparent that the Packers offense is able to put up numbers without him, so I find it very likely that they let him walk this off season. I'm also thinking that with his injury, his market value may take a hit. Would the Jets have any sort of cap room to make a move for a player at his level?

Also, on a side note to that, is trading Holmes(if there are any takers) for a later round pick at all possible if a move like Jennings was possible? Or would a cap hit be too big trading his contract?

The Jets need a huge talent influx, and it can't all be done in the draft, and I'd much rather the Jets young guys learning from a guy like Jennings rather than Holmes.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jennings is really injury prone though. Not the type of guy I'd invest in.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    In advance, forgive my cap ignorance. I don't know how much room the Jets will have next year or anything like that, just been thinking about this in recent weeks with Jennings injury.

It's very apparent that the Packers offense is able to put up numbers without him, so I find it very likely that they let him walk this off season. I'm also thinking that with his injury, his market value may take a hit. Would the Jets have any sort of cap room to make a move for a player at his level?

Also, on a side note to that, is trading Holmes(if there are any takers) for a later round pick at all possible if a move like Jennings was possible? Or would a cap hit be too big trading his contract?

The Jets need a huge talent influx, and it can't all be done in the draft, and I'd much rather the Jets young guys learning from a guy like Jennings rather than Holmes.
    You might not know the jets cap situation, but at least you understand there are ramifications for taking players on or cutting players.

IMO You are certainly correct in your assumption than Jennings injury is going to limit his market. And again, my opinion only but the jets were the only team interested in holmes when he was making 1 mill a year and the steelers wanted to trade him, now that he is making 10X that, I don;t see a trade market at all. His contract is also structured in such a way that it will cost the jets more cap room to cut or trade him than to actually keep him on the roster.

One of the posters here, Jason has a great site- for AFC east cap info.
    http://www.nyjetscap.com/futurepats.html

If you have any cap questions, you can PM me and I will try to help.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets are currently projected to be $7M over the cap, so there will be a lot of roster turnover next season (they have to cut salaries). As far as getting rid of Holmes, no one is going to take him, as Patman mentioned we were pretty much the only takers at $1M a season and only gave up a 4th rounder for him (no team in their right mind will touch that cancer, especially at his current price tag).

Jennings would be great if he can stay healthy and we can move Holmes back into the slot where he belongs. Anyway you look at it, if the FO is smart there will be mass changes on the offensive side of the ball.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, let's sign an aging WR looking for dat contract who's coming off an injury.

GENIUS!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    it would be an amazing receiving corp of Jennings/Holmes/Kerley/Hill, but it wouldn't work cap wise. i'd rather spend the money on a serious RB.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Yes, let's sign an aging WR looking for dat contract who's coming off an injury.

GENIUS!
    He is what, 28? I don't know about you, but sports hernia surgery isn't one that I put in the career changing category. The talent, age or injury shouldn't be the issue for the Jets, the money will be. Do you disagree that he wluld be immediately the #1 WR on this roster?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

GENIUS!
    i'm not a fan of "aging" being a reason why not to sign someone. Steve Smith, Reggie Wayne, Andre Johnson, etc are still difference makers on their teams. hell, look at Cotchery today for the steelers, he came in off the bench and had a couple crucial first down grabs.

nowadays everyone gets hurt in the NFL. thats got to be expected. best time to sign a player is after an injury, when he's at his lowest value.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is what, 28? I don't know about you, but sports hernia surgery isn't one that I put in the career changing category. The talent, age or injury shouldn't be the issue for the Jets, the money will be. Do you disagree that he wluld be immediately the #1 WR on this roster?
    Dude, I could be the #1 wr on this roster. I'd rather build our team in the draft instead of trading picks away for Jennings.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dude, I could be the #1 wr on this roster. I'd rather build our team in the draft instead of trading picks away for Jennings.
    no you couldn't.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    no you couldn't.
    Yes, because I was being serious with that comment.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, because I was being serious with that comment.
    i know you weren't. you're only good at posting tweets from the beat writers.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well our front office is more inept than I thought if they are planning on trading picks for a free agent.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i know you weren't. you're only good at posting tweets from the beat writers.
    You will unhand my jimmies at once

Well our front office is more inept than I thought if they are planning on trading picks for a free agent.
    Ohhh, I forgot he was a FA. I'm stupid, nevermind.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    jennings, bowe, wallace, welker. all FAs this off season.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Sanchez and Holmes "disappeared", would they still count against the cap?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We can't afford any of them and WR is no where near our biggest need so I'll say no on all accounts here. Welker is like 32, Bowe is a head case, Jennings is a product of great QBs IMO and will want huge money, and Wallace's name is better then he actually is. He'd be high priced and not much better then Holmes if at all. Maybe if we can somehow scape out of Sanchez's, and Holmes deals without taking a huge loss but I don't really see that happening. QB, OLB, G, and RB should be our primary concerns next year.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jennings would be a good veteran influence, but Braylon and Devery Henderson make more sense cap-wise

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/featu...tion=WR&y=2013

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsfan95 View Post
    Jennings would be a good veteran influence, but Braylon and Devery Henderson make more sense cap-wise

Smith would be a better fit IMO. He looks healthy and has a much higher up side IMO.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsfan95 View Post

Braylon's done and Henderson stinks. Steve Smith? The one that was a bust for the eagles last season and hasn't been heard from since?