Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Why isn't Westhoff under fire?

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,492
    Post Thanks / Like

    Why isn't Westhoff under fire?

    I love what Westy has done for this team but the last 2 games have not been good for the special teams in fact you might say they had direct implications in the 2 losses.
    The Pats run back even though early in the game was a huge play given how good they are on offense, giving them a cheap TD was killer.
    The Miami game might be the worst special teams I have ever witnessed.
    I know this his is swan song year but he should be open to criticism.
    Team game
    1/3 rd of the game is specials
    Another reason we are 3-5 & might be the worst team at playing "complimentary" football.
    Seasons been a huge clusterf*ck of terrible coaching too.

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,979
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is his last year. He's had a good career---Let him go silently into the night.

  3. #3
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    367
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because he's proven himself in this league year after year. He's earned the benefit of the doubt

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,069
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously? If the Jets don't want him, I'm sure there are a dozen NFL teams that will take him in a heartbeat. In fact, outside of Rex (who the jury is out on), who else has a better reputation on the Jets coaching staff than him?

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,850
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    This is his last year. He's had a good career---Let him go silently into the night.


    Agree. He wants out on his own. Hey, he's 65 and earned it plus did he ever fully recover from his leg problem?

    Good long career. Few go out on top.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6,884
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also over the past few years the NY Jets have let the good players on ST get away and not replace them with the same quality of player

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dvl7 View Post
    Because he's proven himself in this league year after year. He's earned the benefit of the doubt
    I don't care what he has proven, just like with players this is a "what have u done for me business".
    If they players arent allowed excuses than the coaches can't either.
    They all are on notice
    I understand that this is Westhoffs last year but that might be why his specials have been lousy, he coached using fear, why be afraid of a guy u know won't be back.

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    SoFla
    Posts
    17,790
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because he's a "genius."

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,025
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    Also over the past few years the NY Jets have let the good players on ST get away and not replace them with the same quality of player
    But Westhoff forced guys like Weatherford out.

    Westhoff has had a great career and has won us plenty of games. But he/his players have been awful this year. Sure they have made some big plays, but he has given up way too many big plays in big games.

    Despite my frustration with his performance this year, i would love to have him back next year. And I get this feeling that Westhoff will not want to retire this way

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    brooklyn,NY
    Posts
    5,443
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see this as Westhoff fault year in year out the guy has to replace key members of his unit with the back of the bench..

    Guys like dig, Wallace wright , brad smith ect.. Are lost cause tanny refuses to pay them .

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6,884
    Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't Malone a ST'er? I think that to this point he is a hell of an upgrade. Tanny is responsible for the personnel.

    Miami threw some wrinkles in that the NY Jets were not prepared for. Those things can happen when teams are familiar with each other.

    The NY Jets have a QB as a Personal Protector. Is that Westhoff's fault?

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,637
    Post Thanks / Like
    He should be criticized, but let's not get crazy.

    Nearly every team in the league would take him as their special teams coach if he wanted it.

    Sometimes it's just about the players executing.

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,668
    Post Thanks / Like
    Westy is a great ST coach. His schemes are terrific. His STs roster pretty much changes every year, he has to coach up new players. Over the past couple of years the talent on this team has dropped significantly and that has effected the STs, not just the offense and defense.

    - Can't hold him responsible when Kerley fumbles a punt.
    - Pretty sure he taught Davis the correct techinique on kickoff coverage, not his fault Davis inexplicably leaves his lane open for McCourty.
    - He has a QB playing PP. Knew that would come back to bite us eventually. First-guessed by many here.

    I think Folk has gotten better each year and we have finally replaced Weatherford. Westy deserves his share of blame for Weatherford, no doubt about it.

    Rex and Tanny need to get some blame for the STs.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,295
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I don't care what he has proven, just like with players this is a "what have u done for me business".
    If they players arent allowed excuses than the coaches can't either.
    They all are on notice
    I understand that this is Westhoffs last year but that might be why his specials have been lousy, he coached using fear, why be afraid of a guy u know won't be back.
    HIs specials have been lousy because the bottom end of our roster is filled with scrubs, UDFAs and pickups from other teams' practice squads. On a normal NFL team our ST unit would be filled with physically gifted young talent trying hard to unseat the incumbent starters. On our team we have traded away all of our draft depth for years and picked poorly with our remaining picks.

    Westhoff has been given sh1t by Mike Tannenbaum so really there cannot be much of a surprise if Jets fans are asked to take a bite out of a sh1t sandwich from time to time. The GM is to blame.

    The beginning, middle and end of the story here is with the GM.

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,234
    Post Thanks / Like
    I disagree partly with the talent argument. Last year, quietly, Joe McKnight was the NFL's All-Pro Kick returner. Nick Folk has been fantastic for the Jets kicking

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10,243
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I disagree partly with the talent argument. Last year, quietly, Joe McKnight was the NFL's All-Pro Kick returner. Nick Folk has been fantastic for the Jets kicking
    Nick Folk himself is reason enough to believe in Westy.


    Each time Nick makes a FG, he makes Westhoff look like a million bucks.

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6,884
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I disagree partly with the talent argument. Last year, quietly, Joe McKnight was the NFL's All-Pro Kick returner. Nick Folk has been fantastic for the Jets kicking
    Because the talent on ST's as thinned even more than last year we are witnessing an undesirable level of inconsistency on ST's

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,396
    Post Thanks / Like
    I disagree with the Weatherford comments.

    That guy is an idiot. He runs his mouth way too much, too visible for a punter. Plus lets not forget his epic meltdown in the 2010 playoffs. Shanky McShankerson. His calling his own number on STs for a fake punt. Guy couldn't be trusted and he got canned because of it. Maybe he learned from some of those mistakes, but he's still too much of a distraction for a punter. I feel the same way about Jay Feeley. Good kicker, missed some critical kicks in tight spots, way too visible and vocal for his role on the team.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    143
    Post Thanks / Like
    b/c he's retiring and doesn't give a ****....

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by afesposit View Post
    b/c he's retiring and doesn't give a ****....
    +1
    I think you hit on something there.
    That's why coaches don't like to be on the last year of their contract.
    Players know this & take advantage.
    Again, no accountability on this team from Tanny to the strength coach.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us