Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Terry Bradshaw says Reggie Bush 'chasing a bucket of chicken'

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Terry Bradshaw says Reggie Bush 'chasing a bucket of chicken'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf7p...layer_embedded

Prior to Super Bowl XIII, Dallas Cowboys linebacker Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson famously remarked that Terry Bradshaw was "so dumb he couldn't spell cat if you spotted him the 'c' and the 'a'."

Bradshaw's lengthy post-playing career tenure as a media personality has certainly helped to mitigate that perception over the years, but a remark he made during FOX's halftime show Sunday might have been one of the stupider things he's ever said.

MORE: NFL referee curses on air

Yukking it up with co-host Jimmy Johnson while showing a Reggie Bush touchdown run from the first half of the Dolphins-Colts game, Bradshaw commented that the Miami running back was "chasing that bucket of chicken that the wind was blowing the other day," leading to guffaws from Bradshaw and Johnson and an awkward groan from co-host Curt Menefee.

I have no idea what Bradshaw was even talking about when he referred to a "bucket of chicken the wind was blowing." It makes no sense. But I do know that referring to an African-American athlete chasing a bucket of chicken certainly makes enough of a connection to a historically negative racial stereotype that Bradshaw should have used an entirely different analogy. I mean.....ANY other analogy.

"Running like he's chasing a bucket of chicken? #WhatImiss" tweeted NFL Network analyst Warren Sapp.

It's not my place to decipher what Bradshaw meant by the comment and if there was any sort of racial animus intended. My guess is that it was likely the sort of goofy Southern colloquialism Bradshaw routinely spouts without anyone giving a second thought. He's like the ex-jock version of Kenneth from "30 Rock."

The fact that something so mindnumbingly stupid came out of Bradshaw's mouth on an NFL studio show shouldn't be all that surprising. In an attempt to add levity to the yukfest that is FOX NFL Sunday, Bradshaw was trying to quickly goof his way through the clip, likely not giving a second of thought to any deeper meaning of his verbal diarrhea.

While this happened during the halftime show, it's a syndrome that writer Will Leitch touched upon in a Sports on Earth piece that called the pregame show (and those of its ilk) "a program in which absolutely nothing happens."

"No one expects NFL pregame shows to feature some Socratic debate about the moral equivalency of violence, or even to name an actual football play, but even by the low standards of the genre, they're shockingly vacuous," Leitch wrote. "Sometimes I wonder if they're just some social experiment to see what happens when you put six former football players in a room and tell them to ad-lib."

"They are not sports; they are the worst part of sports, the piffle and flat empty air that we're all constantly trying to wade through to get to the actual sports."

Except in this instance, the flat empty air happened to get weighed down by a verbal lead balloon.

Banned
    Let me see, am I outraged?

No, I am not.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Let me see, am I outraged?

No, I am not.
    the only thing I'm outraged over is; if Terry Bradshaw is good enough for TV, why don't I have a show?

Terry is brain dead. He doesn't strike me as a closet racist though. I'll chalk this one up to a brain fart until convinced otherwise.

Did he catch it?

Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    Terry is brain dead. He doesn't strike me as a closet racist though. I'll chalk this one up to a brain fart until convinced otherwise.
    +1

From a different source this might be offensive, but Terry Bradshaw is too stupid to make a veiled (even thinly-veiled) racist comment.

Buckets of chicken are delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    Did he catch it?
    No. He tripped over the watermelon.

see what I did there?

:nodancingalien:

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    LOL!

I dont eat the stuff, but the smell by itself is almost memorizing.

EDIT: Maybe bucket o chicken is a wordplay for a new contract?

Veteran
    Pretty dumb comment by Bradshaw.

Bush looked like he was running from the POH'-leece.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    As a minority (Mexican-American), I note that Bradshaw has had decades of good relationships with people of color w/o any hint of racial hatred. If he were a hater, it would certainly have come out by now.

Plus, certain sayings/actions in the South can have unintended racial overtones from the perspective of different races/people.

He gets a pass.

All Pro
    I love me a bucket of chicken

Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    As a minority (Mexican-American), I note that Bradshaw has had decades of good relationships with people of color w/o any hint of racial hatred. If he were a hater, it would certainly have come out by now.

Plus, certain sayings/actions in the South can have unintended racial overtones from the perspective of different races/people.

He gets a pass.
    That's kind of the way I look at it. He's been on TV since the 70s and has never had any issues. You figure if he held a lot of racist thoughts, he would have slipped up by now. It just seems like something off the cuff that has other origins for him personally, and in hindsight, was a loaded statement.

Now, if people come out of the woodwork and say otherwise, I'll certainly revise my beliefs.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Meh.

Btw, Shawn Greene looks like he's chasing a bucket of caviar and escargot out there.

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Meh.

Btw, Shawn Greene looks like he's chasing a bucket of caviar and escargot out there.

Class warfare and French bashing!!!!!!!!!!

Rich people (and the French) have to eat too!

Perfect example of letting your mouth keep running and your brain stopping.

Of course in Terry's case, you need to have a brain to stop in the first place.....

Oh and Jimmy Johnson? Your White Sheet is showing.....Even if you found it funny(for some reason), KNOW THE SITUATION AND ENVIRONMENT(Social Climate) YOU'RE IN.

My favourite part of this thread is when I read the first half of the op thinking it was Terry Bradway.

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    My favourite part of this thread is when I read the first half of the op thinking it was Terry Bradway.
    Terry Bradway isn't important enough to make a thread of.

Hall Of Fame
    I do not think he meant anything racist. Everyone likes chicken.

I wish our RBs chased something other than the smell of OL asses.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 11-05-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    KFC or Popeyes?

I go Popeyes.