Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Terry Bradshaw says Reggie Bush 'chasing a bucket of chicken'

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    May I ask what's from a european view, what's negative that certain groups of people like fried chicken and watermelons? If I say that turks like kebab nobody would care. Or italians with pizza, germans with sausages, etc.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ubrnostrum View Post
    You're kind of comparing apples to oranges here. There's a certain expectation placed on comedians to push the envelope of race and sexuality, etc etc. and people pay money to be subjected to it. This was a televised football game where those types are comments are unexpected.

Do I think he was being racist? No. He was trying to make a funny. It just wasn't the right place. No apology needed or any of that crap, he just probably shouldn't go there again.
    +1

Not to mention that this is live television, and anyone who's been in front of a camera before (live or otherwise) knows that every once in a while the wrong words or phrases just pop into your mouth. You have to consider context and delivery in these situations too. While possible, it's highly unlikely that a guy would intentionally spout off a racially-charged comment in the middle of a non-descript TD run.

This wasn't Jimmy the Greek talking about how blacks are better athletes because of slavery...this was the result when you give a microphone to The Waterboy and allow him to speak to the country.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Terry Bradshaw is being paid to be the village idiot/class clown/comedic relief on an NFL talk show meant for the entertainment of adults.

I don't get the outrage.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    I think one could safely argue that there is a difference between racist humor..... and racial humor.

I'm just not the guy to do it.

-
    Agreed, "racial" humor is more accurate.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bradshaw made the following comment:

I think we can all go back to sleep now

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...5262--nfl.html

An attempt at an inside joke by former NFL quarterback and Fox studio analyst Terry Bradshaw during the Fox halftime show on Sunday has caused a bit of a controversy.
    While describing Miami Dolphins running back Reggie Bush's remarkable 18-yard touchdown run against the Indianapolis Colts, a play where Bush made half the Colts defense look completely silly, Bradshaw took a shot at his colleague, former NFL head coach Jimmy Johnson.
    "Look at this, Jimmy," said Bradshaw, "like he was chasing that bucket of chicken that the wind was blowing the other day."
    Because Bush is African-American, many have jumped to the conclusion that the mention of a bucket of chicken means there was a racial element to Bradshaw's comment. In the video, Fox studio host Curt Menefee, who is African-American, audibly groans and asks, "What are we going to do with him?"
    [More NFL: Watch: Chuck Pagano gives truly inspiring speech at Colts game]
    On Monday morning, Menefee took to Twitter to say that Bradshaw's comment was actually an inside joke at Fox, where Johnson's love of fried chicken has apparently reached a mythical status, and that this whole affair is much ado about nothing.
    Hopefully after a night of sleep, people's ears are working. TB said nothing racist about @reggie_bush, his comment was about @jimmyjohnson.
    Curt Menefee (@curtmenefee) November 5, 2012
    Lot of wasted energy on folks trying to make something that never occurred a reality. All cuz we need controversy. #saddereveryday Curt Menefee (@curtmenefee) November 5, 2012
    While the focus of online reports has been on the "chasing that bucket of chicken" part of the comment, the first part ("Look at this, Jimmy") and third part ("that the wind was blowing the other day") is a good indicator that the comment, while ill-advised, was intended for Johnson, not Bush. Was it funny? To Bradshaw, Johnson and some of the people in the Fox studios, perhaps. To the thousands of people watching at home who for some reason hadn't turned the channel to another game or the NFL RedZone Channel, probably not. The biggest ramification from this incident will likely be the bosses at Fox telling Bradshaw to leave the funny to Rob Riggle.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post

An attempt at an inside joke by former NFL quarterback and Fox studio analyst Terry Bradshaw during the Fox halftime show on Sunday has caused a bit of a controversy.
    While describing Miami Dolphins running back Reggie Bush's remarkable 18-yard touchdown run against the Indianapolis Colts, a play where Bush made half the Colts defense look completely silly, Bradshaw took a shot at his colleague, former NFL head coach Jimmy Johnson.
    "Look at this, Jimmy," said Bradshaw, "like he was chasing that bucket of chicken that the wind was blowing the other day."
    Because Bush is African-American, many have jumped to the conclusion that the mention of a bucket of chicken means there was a racial element to Bradshaw's comment. In the video, Fox studio host Curt Menefee, who is African-American, audibly groans and asks, "What are we going to do with him?"
    On Monday morning, Menefee took to Twitter to say that Bradshaw's comment was actually an inside joke at Fox, where Johnson's love of fried chicken has apparently reached a mythical status, and that this whole affair is much ado about nothing.
    Hopefully after a night of sleep, people's ears are working. TB said nothing racist about @reggie_bush, his comment was about @jimmyjohnson.
    — Curt Menefee (@curtmenefee) November 5, 2012
    Lot of wasted energy on folks trying to make something that never occurred a reality. All cuz we need controversy. #saddereveryday — Curt Menefee (@curtmenefee) November 5, 2012
    While the focus of online reports has been on the "chasing that bucket of chicken" part of the comment, the first part ("Look at this, Jimmy") and third part ("that the wind was blowing the other day") is a good indicator that the comment, while ill-advised, was intended for Johnson, not Bush. Was it funny? To Bradshaw, Johnson and some of the people in the Fox studios, perhaps. To the thousands of people watching at home who for some reason hadn't turned the channel to another game or the NFL RedZone Channel, probably not. The biggest ramification from this incident will likely be the bosses at Fox telling Bradshaw to leave the funny to Rob Riggle.
    Jimmy does easily conjure up images of chicken, greazy lips, and bad hairdo's.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    But what should I do with all of my outrage?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    But what should I do with all of my outrage?
    Ironically, the first people who made the connection in their own brains between black folks and chicken...were the most outraged.

But why is their brains wired to make that connection, I wonder?

Meanwhile Jimmy and Terry didnt see it.

-

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post

— Curt Menefee (@curtmenefee) November 5, 2012
    Lot of wasted energy on folks trying to make something that never occurred a reality. All cuz we need controversy. #saddereveryday — Curt Menefee (@curtmenefee) November 5, 2012
    It still was a STUPID thing to say because inside-jokes are just that.....Inside. No one is aware of the context or the nature of why that was said. Yet it was still said IN FRONT OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE WATCHING!

If Terry wanted to tell his inside joke to Jimmie, he should've done it OFF-CAMERA where people wouldn't hear it and grossly misunderstand.

Face facts,

We live in a Overly-PC world. It sucks but that's the way it is now.

DEAL WITH IT.
    Last edited by Vin; 11-05-2012 at 06:57 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    over it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green + White View Post
    If I say that turks like kebab nobody would care.
    i care you friggin Nazi racist.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post

DEAL WITH IT.
    If by Deal with it, you mean consider every word coming out of your mouth because some namby pamby latent racist do gooder will wring their hands in despair over the words chicken and an African American FB Player being mentioned in the same sentence?

I'm not dealing with that nonsense. This country has to get past that crap already.

-

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Popeyes ALL THE FRIGGIN' WAY!

Spicy Chicken is the best!
    You Yankees don't know sheeet... One wif of this and Reggie (Or Jimmy) would still be runnin!!!! www.frenchyschicken.com
    Last edited by acepepe; 11-05-2012 at 07:38 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    If by Deal with it, you mean consider every word coming out of your mouth because some namby pamby latent racist do gooder will wring their hands in despair over the words chicken and an African American FB Player being mentioned in the same sentence?

I'm not dealing with that nonsense. This country has to get past that crap already.

-
    why so serious?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hate that we live in a world where when people don't make a racist connection in their own mind... because they don't equate two things a stereotype apparently requires them to.... they have to apologize for it.

How are we supposed to get by these stereotypes if we punish those that forgot about them?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    I hate that we live in a world where when people don't make a racist connection in their own mind... because they don't equate two things a stereotype apparently requires them to.... they have to apologize for it.

How are we supposed to get by these stereotypes if we punish those that forgot about them?
    Oh shut up.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It still was a STUPID thing to say because inside-jokes are just that.....Inside. No one is aware of the context or the nature of why that was said. Yet it was still said IN FRONT OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE WATCHING!

If Terry wanted to tell his inside joke to Jimmie, he should've done it OFF-CAMERA where people wouldn't hear it and grossly misunderstand.

Face facts,

We live in a Overly-PC world. It sucks but that's the way it is now.

DEAL WITH IT.
    Um, I'm just reporting the latest but I think the explanation is enough and the history of the gentlemen's background that we can all just call it a day.

The only people outraged are the ones who misunderstood it and now you're upset because it was misunderstood?????

I'm someone who still thinks there is racism in the country but I can't get mad if the explanation is decent. I'm not going to get mad because I missed the joke.

Thanks for the sensitivity training though

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Oh shut up.

But it's true... ****-ass.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I blame Joe "Turkey" Jones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtcQqwpCFJ4

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post

But it's true... ****-ass.
    LOLz.

I just wanted tell someone to shut up and Mrs. FF2 would kill me.