Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sanchez for Rivers: What would it take?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Sanchez for Rivers: What would it take?

I'm sure I'll get attacked for this , but What would it take to get Rivers after the season?

Rivers seems to be wearing out his welcome in SD, He's 30, and is having a relatively bad year. Sanchez is 25 ( or 24) and is from Southern California. Maybe he goes home and blossoms.

I don't think SD would take a straight up deal ( Would you?). I'm thinking Sanchez and a 3rd.. Maybe throw in Eric Smith or another scrub too.

Comments?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rivers = 12TDs/10INTS

Sanches = 10TDs/8INTs

Virtually same yardage.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    A miracle, but i don't want either. We need to draft a QB who will be ready to lead us in 2014.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    A miracle, but i don't want either. We need to draft a QB who will be ready to lead us in 2014.
    At least Rivers has some balls. We need a QB with some fire!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do not think Rivers would handle the NY media well. Actually, I know he won't. He is testy in SD where nobody cares about football. BTW, I am a Rivers fan, I know some people here think he is overrated but If you look at what he has done, you will be hard pressed to find many better. Last year was an "awful" year in which he threw 27 TDs, LOL. His stock is very low now and it would be wise for some teams to make a play for him, I just do not think NY is the right place for him.

We need to draft a QB. This year might not be the right year. It pays to suck at the right time.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 11-05-2012 at 11:14 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I do not think Rivers would handle the NY media well. Actually, I know he won't. He is testy in SD where nobody cares about football.

We need to draft a QB. This year might not be the right year. It pays to suck at the right time.
    TO bad we didn't suck worse last year, although I don't think we would have sucked as bad as Indy...and I don't like RGlll: The D's will eventually catch up with him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still say we take Tyler Wilson in the middle first (hopefully in a trade down and acquire more picks) or high second pending his final draft stock. Sit him for a year and groom him under Norv Turner while Sanchez takes his lumps as we try to improve the offense (invest picks in OL primarily, while looking for value picks at the skill positions)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do not think Rivers would handle the NY media well. Actually, I know he won't. He is testy in SD where nobody cares about football. BTW, I am a Rivers fan, I know some people here think he is overrated but If you look at what he has done, you will be hard pressed to find many better. Last year was an "awful" year in which he threw 27 TDs, LOL. His stock is very low now and it would be wise for some teams to make a play for him, I just do not think NY is the right place for him.

Mark had 4 more TDs than Rivers last year. And two less ints.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    Rivers = 12TDs/10INTS

Sanches = 10TDs/8INTs

Virtually same yardage.
    please don't tell me that by posting those numbers you think that rivers, who is a multiple pro-bowl qb with career numbers that dwarfs suckchez' numbers in every respect, is a worse or equal QB to suckchez???

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yea but Rivers is great because the media says so and he has "balls".

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    are people seriously trying to say that Sanchez and Rivers are equal or similar?

That's really insane, they're not in the same league. You could only hope that Sanchez comes close to being nearly as good as Rivers.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    He's obviously A better QB and a better leader than Sanchez. We need a QB that is not afraid to tell a teammate that he did something wrong. I watched Ben and Romo yesterday, They were like coaches out there. That's what we need.

Good Grief!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    With the way people *****ed about Chad's lack of arm strength, it would be unbelievable the crying about Rivers' lack of arm strength.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    I still say we take Tyler Wilson in the middle first (hopefully in a trade down and acquire more picks) or high second pending his final draft stock. Sit him for a year and groom him under Norv Turner while Sanchez takes his lumps as we try to improve the offense (invest picks in OL primarily, while looking for value picks at the skill positions)
    Think Norv would work for Rex? I like the idea of Norv as OC, as long as he knows there isn't a chance in hell he'll be promoted. Maybe it won't be up to Rex after this season anyway...

If the Jets do spend a high draft pick on a QB next draft, it is paramount that a legit OC and QB coach be on board. If Woody doesn't see this, then he's even a bigger disaster than I thought.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    6 of Marks TDs were rushing.

My point was that 27 TDs is considered a disastrous season for Rivers. 27 TDs and 4600 yards. I would love for a Jet QB to be THAT bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post

It is what it is.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    With the way people *****ed about Chad's lack of arm strength, it would be unbelievable the crying about Rivers' lack of arm strength.
    Rivers does have a weak arm, but it is nowhere near Pennington level. Not to mention the fact that Rivers has superior anticipation and accuracy, which makes him one of the better deep passers in the league when he's on.

Those saying he won't be able to handle the NY media have a solid point. He's my personal #1 choice for stopgap QB because I think he's done in SD and is one of those players that could benefit from a change of scenery, but he definitely comes with some risk.

That said, those throwing his numbers out and mentioning him in the same breath as Mark friggin Sanchez are Terry-Bradshaw dumb.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    +1

Rivers's arm strength has really really diminished in the past year and a half. It's exacerbated by the fact that he's such a stubborn bastard and doesn't realize he needs to adjust his game accordingly. My fear is that his play has fallen so dramatically in that time frame. Before last season, Rivers was a top 6 QB. Fast forward to now and I don't even know if he is top 10 anymore.

That being said, he would actually be a good fit if Rex were still the head coach and we pick up a road grading guard and a respectable running back. He's accurate, intelligent, and can run the no huddle offense. With an improved rushing attack and one legitimate pass rusher, they could be following the same model as the Houston Texans. A somewhat managed Rivers would still be an effective QB.

However, he is signed through the 2015 season. While it appears almost all of his guarantees are gone, it would be pretty unlikely the Jets obtain him.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please explain how 27 touchdows is disastrous when he's thrown for more than that 3 times in 9 years.

6 of Marks TDs were rushing.

My point was that 27 TDs is considered a disastrous season for Rivers. 27 TDs and 4600 yards. I would love for a Jet QB to be THAT bad.

It is what it is.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. THis is laughable. Phillip Rivers a pro bowl franchise qb. For one of the worst qbs in the league. Please stay off the drugs.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rivers, to me, reminds me of a less-insane more-talented Ryan Leaf.

Whoever said he wouldn't be able to handle the NY Media is correct. I mean...if you thought he was testy in San Diego, look out!

He might end up pulling a Ryan Leaf on the media here and self-destruct.

Not worth it, IMO, even if it was possible. Get Tyler Wilson or whomever they can in the draft and go from there....