Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Positions Worth Mega Contracts?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Positions Worth Mega Contracts?

Been really crunching the numbers in hoping of righting this ship

Seriously though, id like to here the community's opinion on which positions should command the Mega Contracts we are seeing these days....

Obviously there are "superstar" players out there at nearly every position, but as a fan, which position on the football field can you justify paying mega dollars to?

Does it work on a player by player basis, or are there certain positions that are easier to plug in alternate players...(you hear this a lot with RB's)?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    NONE!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd only pay top money for an elite QB. One rung down from that would be really good money for an every down Dlineman/line backer.

Positions that I wouldn't pay "top" money for, or even 2nd rung money would be RB, CB, Safety, Oline or kicker. Would have to think twice about paying serious money to a WR also. Not sure that I would do it.

As for whether it works on a "player by player" basis, no, not really. In my view, positions have their own relative worth/value. If you have the top guy at that position, you pay him the top salary for that position, but the ceiling is set by the position, not the player.

For example, if I ran a restaurant, I might have the best dishwasher in the city. That doesn't mean I'm going to pay him more than my grill cooks or the guys on the sautee station, even though he is better at his particular job than they are.
    Last edited by Demosthenes9; 11-05-2012 at 05:16 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Missionary
    Doggie Style
    Cowgirl
    69er

All other positions are pretty much on par.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Missionary
    Doggie Style
    Cowgirl
    69er

SOJF

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    SOJF

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Missionary
    Doggie Style
    Cowgirl
    69er

reverse cowgirl.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm your huckleberry

Posted this many times but here goes.

QB - Franchise ability: leadership, Accuracy, Measureables and mobility.

LT - Franchise ability to pass and run block equally well. Measureables and mobility.

OC - Franchise ability Pass and run block equally well. Smarts and Measureables.

43 Defense
    DE - Franchise ability to rush the passer and set the edge. Quickness and Strength

NT : Franchise ability to clog the middle. Strength, strength and durability.

MLB - Sideline -sideline ability combine with the ability to drop into coverage

CB - Franchise ability. Speed with the ability to track the ball and assist against the run. Everyone teams needs atleast 1 who can take away 1 side of the field.

34 Defense:

OLB - see defensive end position in 43

NT - see NT position in 43

CB - see CB position in 43

All the other positions are interchangeable yr after yr. The above positions i spend my early round picks on yearly that way i keep cost down just in case some other position develops a player i can't live without.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quarterback.

People can talk about Wide Receivers and Outside Linebackers all they'd like, but there are plenty of them out there (WR's) and enough defensive philosophies to generate pass rushes. Plus, there's more "elite" Outside Linebackers or Defensive Ends than there are Quarterbacks. In this day and age it's a Quarterbacks world and we're all just living it it. Gone are the days where Trent Dilfer is going to manage a team to victory. The Jets, Ravens and 49ers all have tried over the past decade and they've all failed.

If you have a Top 10/Franchise QB, you do not let him walk away under any circumstances.*

* Unless there is a sure thing waiting in the wings and said previous star QB is coming off three neck surgeries in the past year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    Et tu Caltron?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    QB and LT...

Then there's everything else...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    QB and LT...

Then there's everything else...
    Even LT has become a position of luxury.

Roethlisberger, Brady, the Manning brothers and recently Rodgers haven't had a franchise LT in years. Matt Light was probably the best of the bunch and he wasn't a franchise LT by any means.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Even LT has become a position of luxury.

Roethlisberger, Brady, the Manning brothers and recently Rodgers haven't had a franchise LT in years. Matt Light was probably the best of the bunch and he wasn't a franchise LT by any means.
    I'd rather have one than not, personally. I wish we had one

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    I'd rather have one than not, personally. I wish we had one
    Oh, no doubt.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    QB is the only position to pay than 10% or more of your cap to. But if a team is lucky and have Luck, newton, RG3, Tannihill or some other qb making 4 mill a year for 5 years then you can have a Peppers or similar on your roster without being too cap heavy

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not CB. That's for damn sure.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    QB is the only position that should make $20M/yr, and that's what the top QBs get paid.

No other position has more than 1 player making even $14M/yr.

Someone is going to want to say DE, but Jared Allen played on one of the worst defenses ever, and the Cowboys are usually just in the 8-12 range with Ware. That's about where the Raiders were with Asomugha. Our defense isn't appreciably worse without Revis. The Bears were a top defense even before Peppers. The Packers were terrible last year with Matthews and Woodson. The Ravens and Steelers are the 2 most consistent defenses, but they each have 5-6 guys that are top 10 at their positions, it's not 1 guy that makes them great.

So I don't think any defensive player is worth $15M/yr.

As for the offensive side of the ball...

I think a truly great RB, like a Barry Sanders or a Marshall Faulk, or Tomlinson during his peak years, would be worth it for 2-3 years, but that's it (and Sanders played for some terrible teams). The Saints won a Super Bowl with a 3rd string LT. A single WR can always be eliminated from the game. They need another guy on the other side in order to really perform to their full potential. However, there is a Jerry Rice Exception. If another Jerry Rice ever comes along, they'd be worth it. Yeah, he played with all-time great QBs, but so did a lot of other receivers...and no one has even sniffed Rice's records. I mean, at 41 YEARS OLD he caught 63 passes for 869 yards with Rick Mirer starting 9 of 16 games for the Raiders. If you have a guy that going to put up 90 catches, 1200 yards, and 9 TD when they're 40, you better believe they're worth the money.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    QB is the only position that should make $20M/yr, and that's what the top QBs get paid.

No other position has more than 1 player making even $14M/yr.

Someone is going to want to say DE, but Jared Allen played on one of the worst defenses ever, and the Cowboys are usually just in the 8-12 range with Ware. That's about where the Raiders were with Asomugha. Our defense isn't appreciably worse without Revis. The Bears were a top defense even before Peppers. The Packers were terrible last year with Matthews and Woodson. The Ravens and Steelers are the 2 most consistent defenses, but they each have 5-6 guys that are top 10 at their positions, it's not 1 guy that makes them great.

So I don't think any defensive player is worth $15M/yr.

As for the offensive side of the ball...

I think a truly great RB, like a Barry Sanders or a Marshall Faulk, or Tomlinson during his peak years, would be worth it for 2-3 years, but that's it (and Sanders played for some terrible teams). The Saints won a Super Bowl with a 3rd string LT. A single WR can always be eliminated from the game. They need another guy on the other side in order to really perform to their full potential. However, there is a Jerry Rice Exception. If another Jerry Rice ever comes along, they'd be worth it. Yeah, he played with all-time great QBs, but so did a lot of other receivers...and no one has even sniffed Rice's records. I mean, at 41 YEARS OLD he caught 63 passes for 869 yards with Rick Mirer starting 9 of 16 games for the Raiders. If you have a guy that going to put up 90 catches, 1200 yards, and 9 TD when they're 40, you better believe they're worth the money.
    the jets are ranked 12th in total defense this year. that's appreciably worse than what we've had with revis

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    QB, an elite pass rusher, and maybe a LT

A guy like Von Miller or Clay Matthews would be worth $15 million per year

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    QB - RODGERS
    RB - PETERSON
    WR - MEGATRON
    TE - GRAHAM
    T - JOE THOMAS / JAKE LONG
    G - CARL NICKS