Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Year for Jets to Change Coaches

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Bad Year for Jets to Change Coaches

I know a lot of folks (myself included) are calling for Rex to be fired and a new front office and coaching staff to be hired. I dont see it happening b/c Woody is an idiot owner. BUT, it may also a bad year for us to hire. Lots of coaching jobs will likely be open with scenarios far more appealing than our situation.

In all likelihood, the following teams will be looking for new coaches:

KC
    Cleveland
    San Diego
    Tennessee
    Dallas
    New Orleans
    Philadelphia
    Carolina
    Cincinnati (possibly)
    Arizona (possibly)

How can the Jets compete with most of these teams for a quality new HC?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The answer is simple...

$$$$$$

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    I know a lot of folks (myself included) are calling for Rex to be fired and a new front office and coaching staff to be hired. I dont see it happening b/c Woody is an idiot owner. BUT, it may also a bad year for us to hire. Lots of coaching jobs will likely be open with scenarios far more appealing than our situation.

KC
    Cleveland
    San Diego
    Tennessee
    Dallas
    New Orleans
    Philadelphia
    Carolina
    Cincinnati (possibly)
    Arizona (possibly)

I'd leave SD, CIN, and NO off that list. Norv is seemingly unfirable, Cincy has just recently started to turn the corner and start building a team, and Peyton being available is a pipe dream that wouldn't happen in a million years. I might also leave ARI off the list too since they're a decent QB away from being a contender.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I'd leave SD, CIN, and NO off that list. Norv is seemingly unfirable, Cincy has just recently started to turn the corner and start building a team, and Peyton being available is a pipe dream that wouldn't happen in a million years. I might also leave ARI off the list too since they're a decent QB away from being a contender.
    I've always believed that, once you die, all the perplexing questions that have confounded you in life are answered. For me, this will be query number two or three.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's get a competent GM in here

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    Agreed.
    Please Woody open the vault and pry Eric DeCosta from Baltimore's hands

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt Whisenhunt gets fired, but if he does, that's my #1 choice for OC.

Agree that Lewis is probably safe, and Peyton isn't coming here. I also doubt that Munchak and Rivera will be fired after year 2...both guys came into weak rosters and should at least be given 3 years, but anything can happen.

Reid, Garrett and Crennel are toast, and I do think this is the year Norv finally hits the bricks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post

Agree that Lewis is probably safe, and Peyton isn't coming here. I also doubt that Munchak and Rivera will be fired after year 2...both guys came into weak rosters and should at least be given 3 years, but anything can happen.

Reid, Garrett and Crennel are toast, and I do think this is the year Norv finally hits the bricks.
    Munchak has been put on warning by an old, angry owner who wants to win before he croaks and Rivera will have to deal with a new GM. They are both good as gone.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

KC
    Cleveland
    San Diego
    Tennessee
    Dallas
    New Orleans
    Philadelphia
    Carolina
    Cincinnati (possibly)
    Arizona (possibly)

New Orleans?

The Saints and Payton are going to make a new deal. Anyhow, that's sort of irrelevant. If you assume that the Saints are looking for a new coach, you are also implying that Payton is on the market. That's a net 0 for available coaches.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    The answer is simple...

$$$$$$
    Bingo.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Marvin Lewis is a pretty good coach. Winning in Cincinnati is a bigger feat than winning almost anywhere else because the ownership team has no desire to put money into the team (limited scouting, terrible facilities, etc), his team fell apart when their franchise QB didn't recover from injury.

If SD is .500 or worse, he has to be fired. He completely **** away a SB caliber team over the past 5 years. It's stunning how he has only won 1 playoff game since 2008. That team should have done more.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post

Romeo resigned yesterday.

EDIT: Oops. He fired himself as DC.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    There is no perfect coach, no silver bullet ... talent makes coaches look like geniuses or fools.

Rex is a blowhard but other than Parcells, Ryan is better than any other Jets coach that I can remember (1990 onwards) unless you are counting Bill Belichick's single day as HC of the NY Jets.

There are so many mediocre coaches out there, the chances of improving the Jets fortunes by firing our coach are slim.

Trading away picks to move up is a flawed strategy. In addition, our problem is that Mike Tannenbaum and Rex are not credible evaluators of talent. Drafting also takes a little luck along with skill.

I like Mike Tannenbaum, a good guy, tries hard but I say make a change at GM and get a serious personnel guy who can evaluate talent in here.

If Rex has the talent, he is good enough to bring us all the way.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My biggest concern is that the present combo does not seem to be learning from their mistakes as they go. Their biggest blunders have been hitching the team and their careers to the wrong people on this team. I'd like to see what Rex could do with a veteran hard ass GM that was not his buddy and basically told him to coach and stay the F away from all personnel decisions.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bill Cowher with Rex as the defensive coordinator/asst.head coach

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsrush View Post
    Bill Cowher with Rex as the defensive coordinator/asst.head coach
    So, if Wrecks gets fired, do you seriously think he would accet a DC position with the team that just fired him?

Not to mention, Wrecks and Cowher would get along like oil and water.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I've always believed that, once you die, all the perplexing questions that have confounded you in life are answered. For me, this will be query number two or three.
    +1

I never understood A) How Norv was allowed to stay so long in Washington and B) Why ANYONE would hire him after that?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    There is no perfect coach, no silver bullet ... talent makes coaches look like geniuses or fools.

Rex is a blowhard but other than Parcells, Ryan is better than any other Jets coach that I can remember (1990 onwards) unless you are counting Bill Belichick's single day as HC of the NY Jets.

There are so many mediocre coaches out there, the chances of improving the Jets fortunes by firing our coach are slim.

Trading away picks to move up is a flawed strategy. In addition, our problem is that Mike Tannenbaum and Rex are not credible evaluators of talent. Drafting also takes a little luck along with skill.

I like Mike Tannenbaum, a good guy, tries hard but I say make a change at GM and get a serious personnel guy who can evaluate talent in here.

If Rex has the talent, he is good enough to bring us all the way.
    Agreed, firing Rex is the wrong way to go - there is so much worse out there, our own team has had much worse in the past decade alone. I think Rex is a top 10 coach in this league and I'm comfortable going into next year with him. People forget that if you get rid of him, the alternatives are either retreads (who already failed somewhere else) or complete unknowns (first-time HCs most of whom bust). It just makes no sense to dump Rex at this point. Tannenbaum is a different story, however.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Agreed, firing Rex is the wrong way to go - there is so much worse out there, our own team has had much worse in the past decade alone. I think Rex is a top 10 coach in this league and I'm comfortable going into next year with him. People forget that if you get rid of him, the alternatives are either retreads (who already failed somewhere else) or complete unknowns (first-time HCs most of whom bust). It just makes no sense to dump Rex at this point. Tannenbaum is a different story, however.
    I've been pretty disappointed in Rex the last two seasons, but I can come around to this line of thinking.

However, how is it possible that he stays if Tannenbaum goes? What GM is going to come in and want to keep Rex in house? This is a guy whose FO didn't want to promote him when he was in Baltimore and went with a virtual unknown...and those were guys who knew him well and saw his ability.

If Tanny goes (and he should), I can't imagine how his replacement can view what Rex has said and done over the past four years and say, "yeah, that's my guy."

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed.
    Please Woody open the vault and pry Eric DeCosta from Baltimore's hands
    This 1000%...

Then let him to decide what to do with the HC!!!!