Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad Year for Jets to Change Coaches

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    I've been pretty disappointed in Rex the last two seasons, but I can come around to this line of thinking.

However, how is it possible that he stays if Tannenbaum goes? What GM is going to come in and want to keep Rex in house? This is a guy whose FO didn't want to promote him when he was in Baltimore and went with a virtual unknown...and those were guys who knew him well and saw his ability.

If Tanny goes (and he should), I can't imagine how his replacement can view what Rex has said and done over the past four years and say, "yeah, that's my guy."
    It depends on who the new GM hire is. I think Woody could sell a new GM on sticking with Rex at least for his first year. At the very least, the new GM would know that Rex has had past success and can operate a strong D. I don't think Rex should be very involved with personnel decisions anymore though. As bad as the offense has been this year, if Rex had his way he'd probably want defense in the first round next year as well. I just think firing Rex is too over-reactive at this point. Good franchises will give a coach who has had some success more of a chance. I want to break the cycle of 3-4 years and dump the guy that we seem to have been in for perpetuity.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    The answer is simple...

$$$$$$
    Most of these guys are financially secure...a few $100,000 more per year wont sway them in all cases.

OP makes a fairly good point though.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Agreed, firing Rex is the wrong way to go - there is so much worse out there, our own team has had much worse in the past decade alone. I think Rex is a top 10 coach in this league and I'm comfortable going into next year with him. People forget that if you get rid of him, the alternatives are either retreads (who already failed somewhere else) or complete unknowns (first-time HCs most of whom bust). It just makes no sense to dump Rex at this point. Tannenbaum is a different story, however.
    Yes there is worse out there. BUT, there is also better options.

Bill Cowher
    Andy Reid
    Mike Holmgren
    Jon Gruden

It depends on who the new GM hire is. I think Woody could sell a new GM on sticking with Rex at least for his first year. At the very least, the new GM would know that Rex has had past success and can operate a strong D. I don't think Rex should be very involved with personnel decisions anymore though. As bad as the offense has been this year, if Rex had his way he'd probably want defense in the first round next year as well. I just think firing Rex is too over-reactive at this point. Good franchises will give a coach who has had some success more of a chance. I want to break the cycle of 3-4 years and dump the guy that we seem to have been in for perpetuity.
    This. I think a GM would be willing to give Rex a one year audition to see him firsthand. The GM should also be the final say on personnel and offense related issues. Rex is too heavy handed when it comes to where players are needed. I think the biggest flaw for Mr. T is listening to Rex too much and caving in. Newsome said in Balt that Rex always wanted more corners, but that didn't mean he always got what he wanted. There needs to be more balance in the war room.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post

Bill Cowher
    Andy Reid
    Mike Holmgren
    Jon Gruden
    Reid is not a better option, no way. He'd be run out of New York in a year with how poor his game management is. Holmgren is old and like a triple retread at this point. That can't be our option.

Cowher and Gruden I may agree with, but I think this fanbase would dislike how conservative Cowher is. Gruden seems content in the booth, not sure why he'd want to get mixed up with the Jets.

Reid is not a better option, no way. He'd be run out of New York in a year with how poor his game management is. Holmgren is old and like a triple retread at this point. That can't be our option.

Cowher and Gruden I may agree with, but I think this fanbase would dislike how conservative Cowher is. Gruden seems content in the booth, not sure why he'd want to get mixed up with the Jets.
    I'm really not super convinced on either tho. They have seemingly the same requirements that Rex would need to succeed, with Gruden being worse. Gruden basically one his only SB with the kind of strategy that Rex wants to use, a dominant defense and a meh offense. And the defense was built by Dungy. Cowher had a very solid D and running game (sound familiar), but didn't break through until he a got a good QB.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    Let's get a competent GM in here

Exactly, the rest will work its way out

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    So, if Wrecks gets fired, do you seriously think he would accet a DC position with the team that just fired him?

Not to mention, Wrecks and Cowher would get along like oil and water.
    Shhhhh. Logic only confuses them.

All Pro

Bill Cowher
    Andy Reid
    Mike Holmgren
    Jon Gruden
    I don't think Reid is a great coach. Look at how poorly that team is run right now. Holmgren I agree with others, he is old and done.

Can't argue Cowher or Gruden, but why would Gruden leave his easy chair job where he makes good money to come to NY and try to be the ring leader of the circus.

Not that I think Rex should be fired but if your switching up coaches this is the year to do it if your a NY team. I am not sure any real coach would want to work with Tanny at this point though. Even if Peyton isn't out there Vitt right now is putting together an audition. He is 1-1 and just embarrassed Philly. He has 4 games that if he is a viable coach should win. If he goes 5-5 with the mess he inherited someone will give him a shot at a HC job. NO or other. For some reason I don't think Peyton went to bat for him just so he could fail. I hate Wiz but he did go to a SB and likely he gets canned. Then you have Reid, Cowher, Gruden, Todd Haley, maybe even Chan Gailey. Oh and if you think Carolina fire Ron Rivera your nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Not that I think Rex should be fired but if your switching up coaches this is the year to do it if your a NY team. I am not sure any real coach would want to work with Tanny at this point though. Even if Peyton isn't out there Vitt right now is putting together an audition. He is 1-1 and just embarrassed Philly. He has 4 games that if he is a viable coach should win. If he goes 5-5 with the mess he inherited someone will give him a shot at a HC job. NO or other. For some reason I don't think Peyton went to bat for him just so he could fail. I hate Wiz but he did go to a SB and likely he gets canned. Then you have Reid, Cowher, Gruden, Todd Haley, maybe even Chan Gailey. Oh and if you think Carolina fire Ron Rivera your nuts.
    I've been down on Rex for a while now, but I'm only up for replacing him if it's going to be a certifiable upgrade. And the more we talk about this and the more names are thrown around, the more I'm thinking it's best we stay with the devil we know.

Cowher / Gruden - Long shots who might not even be interested
    Todd Haley / Chan Gailey - Seriously? That's like choosing between Sanchez and Ryan Fitzpatrick as starting QBs.
    Norv Turner / Ron Rivera / Mike Munchak - See above
    Andy Reid - Probably needs a year off as much as any human being on the planet.

Beyond those guys are a bunch of up-and-comers who may or may not be ready for primetime. If I thought the Jets were a playoff-caliber team coming into this season I might still want a change at HC based on performance the past two years, but I'm quickly changing my tune when considering the current talent and the options available.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    I'm really not super convinced on either tho. They have seemingly the same requirements that Rex would need to succeed, with Gruden being worse. Gruden basically one his only SB with the kind of strategy that Rex wants to use, a dominant defense and a meh offense. And the defense was built by Dungy. Cowher had a very solid D and running game (sound familiar), but didn't break through until he a got a good QB.
    Yeah I have no idea how either would work out here, and really, if neither got themselves a solid QB, could we really expect more success than what Rex has given? As you pointed out, both favored a defense-oriented running approach. They are well respected personalities and figures, but I don't know if I see them as automatic upgrades. Going with an unknown is very risky, we know from franchise history that there is far worse out there than Rex. Any other retread name thrown out in this thread is a borderline "you have to be kidding me" candidate.

Sources: Saints owner considering making Sean Payton highest-paid coach in NFL

You can close that thread... unless the Jets OC job looks more attractive.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 11-06-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Sources: Saints owner considering making Sean Payton highest-paid coach in NFL

You can close that thread... unless the Jets OC job looks more attractive.
    Anyone who thought Payton was a possibility (that he would choose Sanchez and our offense over Brees and theirs) was seriously delirious. Cowboys were probably only team other than Saints that could reasonably have held out hope for Payton.

uh...rex has a better record as hc than your bellichicken without brady. give rex a brady or manning or rivers or brees and you'd see him in canton too.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    So, if Wrecks gets fired, do you seriously think he would accet a DC position with the team that just fired him?

Not to mention, Wrecks and Cowher would get along like oil and water.

you've got to be kidding. what's the common thread? each of them had a decent qb when they had success. cowher didn't do much until big ben. reid had mcnabb, holmgren favre, and gruden gannon and or johnson. you can make some case for gruden but he also had a monster defense in tampa and some pretty motivated players in oakland.

if rex is replaced, here's to hoping the jets can get an experienced successful coach as opposed to another first timer but the good ones stay on for a long time or burn out early. and there's always the chance that sanchez will play to his ability.

Bill Cowher
    Andy Reid
    Mike Holmgren
    Jon Gruden

Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    you've got to be kidding. what's the common thread? each of them had a decent qb when they had success. cowher didn't do much until big ben. reid had mcnabb, holmgren favre, and gruden gannon and or johnson. you can make some case for gruden but he also had a monster defense in tampa and some pretty motivated players in oakland.

if rex is replaced, here's to hoping the jets can get an experienced successful coach as opposed to another first timer but the good ones stay on for a long time or burn out early. and there's always the chance that sanchez will play to his ability.
    And there's also the chance I win the $145 million Power-Ball lottery.

Will both happen? Not very likely.

How can the Jets compete with most of these teams for a quality new HC?

You're absolutely right, they can't. If you're Bill Cowher or Sean Payton or Andy Reid, would you work for Woody Johnson with so many other options out there? The curse of this franchise is that we went from a historically bad owner to potentially a historically worse owner. And he will be here for decades to come. Only the f'ing Jets.

uh...rex has a better record as hc than your bellichicken without brady. give rex a brady or manning or rivers or brees and you'd see him in canton too.
    Rex took over a very good team, if anyone thinks Cleveland was anything but terrible the year before BB got there is delirious. Rex had an owner that would write big checks, BB did not. He won 11 games his 3rd year there and was 3-1 in 95 when the bond issue was voted down. The team then knew that the season was over and they were going to move.

BB did not do a very good job overall in cleveland for sure, but it was not the disaster on the field that it was off. The media, especially the NY and cleveland media hate BB and they perpetuate this fallacy. before BB got there Cleveland gave up 460 points and scored 240 less. both were NFL records. Now that is a bad team. The jets were the #1 in AFC power rankings the Thanksgiving before Rex took over. Slightly different starting points don't you think.

And you have to remember they went 11-5 with Cassel and not Brady just 4 years ago.
    Last edited by patman; 11-07-2012 at 06:49 AM.

Banned
    BB has gotten results with a 6th round QB that he drafted.

Rex can't do a damn thing with a QB drafted #5 overall.