Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Observations from Virginia on Election Day

Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    First time you voted? Yet you spend all this time talking politics? WOW. I've never missed a vote aside from the college years. And being honest who did you vote for?
    No disrespect intended to him, but this shocked me as well, especially for someone as intelligent, and well versed, as Warfish. I was naturalized in 1977 and have never missed a vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    No disrespect intended to him, but this shocked me as well, especially for someone as intelligent, and well versed, as Warfish. I was naturalized in 1977 and have never missed a vote.
    where you originally from?

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Amendment View Post
    we're you originally from?
    Italy.

All Pro
    Waited about an hour, very orderly, very calm, just read a book while I waited. The line really picked up shortly after I got there, people who were not able to go until after work are gonna be there forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    My refusal to partake, consciously not via laziness, was a protest against a lack of acceptable options. I appreciate both that the value of that protest is/was quite low, and that other may not agree or understand the reasoning behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    My refusal to partake, consciously not via laziness, was a protest against a lack of acceptable options. I appreciate both that the value of that protest is/was quite low, and that other may not agree or understand the reasoning behind it.
    I completely understand, and respect, your intent. I had always wanted to register as an independent, but never did because I wanted to vote in the primaries.

NorahODonnell
    Virginia elections officials report "very heavy, robust turnout" that will likely exceed 2008 vote - per CBS Wyatt Andrews

Veteran
    There was a big turnout in my town too (PA), but it's 99% white. I think about 60% voted McCain in 2008.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I understand your position completely. The problem with this approach is that you get lumped into the same category as the politically disinterested/disengaged, which is not a fair representation of you in my opinion.

Better to show that you are paying attention and disapprove rather than not paying attention at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Amendment View Post
    NorahODonnell
    I just don't see how a bigger turnout than 2008 would be a good thing for Obama. He was the messiah four years ago -- he's going to get MORE people to vote for him now?

I know that sounds like a partisan comment, so I guess I'll apologize in advance, but I mean it as an honest question . . .

Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    I just don't see how a bigger turnout than 2008 would be a good thing for Obama. He was the messiah four years ago -- he's going to get MORE people to vote for him now?

I know that sounds like a partisan comment, so I guess I'll apologize in advance, but I mean it as an honest question . . .
    You are correct there. Republicans were disenfranchised in 2008, didnt show up. It was a historic year for D turnout. That will level off in 2012. Will it make up the 6 point edge Obama had over McCain however? No one knows right now.

CBS calls Virginia for Obama.