Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colorado: First State to Legalize Marijuana

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I don't partake... but I also don't see how anyone can think pot will be the downfall of this country. The people smoking now are smoking whenever they want to and they will continue to do so with very limited (if any) government intervention. There is virtually no problem with access to weed for most people. High school kids actually start smoking pot because it's easier for them to buy than beer.

By the way, alcohol is a just as much a gateway drug.

The best thing the country could do is to completely legalize and tax the bejezus out of it. It's a multi-billion dollar industry.

Charge distributors an annual fee, tax profits, and tax the consumer some crazy percentage. The country could solve some serious financial problems here by just taking money from people who are happily giving it to illegal dealers.
    +1000000 The war on drugs is a joke. It isn't stopping anything and is CREATING violent crime just as prohibition did. Time for conservatives to embrace libertarianism before it is too late.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I don't partake... but I also don't see how anyone can think pot will be the downfall of this country. The people smoking now are smoking whenever they want to and they will continue to do so with very limited (if any) government intervention. There is virtually no problem with access to weed for most people. High school kids actually start smoking pot because it's easier for them to buy than beer.

By the way, alcohol is a just as much a gateway drug.

The best thing the country could do is to completely legalize and tax the bejezus out of it. It's a multi-billion dollar industry.

Charge distributors an annual fee, tax profits, and tax the consumer some crazy percentage. The country could solve some serious financial problems here by just taking money from people who are happily giving it to illegal dealers.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi View Post
    This... no shot the federal govt. plays along. Any state "laws" directly contrary to federal law are void.
    We'll see. They already "allow" several states to have a medical marijuana industry, which is a direct contradiction to its Schedule 1 classification.

My hope is they will continue their policy of letting states take care of themselves while focusing on border and interstate trafficking. This amendment is hopefully another step in removing the archaic, non-nonsensical policies around this mostly harmless (and in some cases beneficial) substance.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    How is it going to work as far as sales? Can it be sold in a regular retail store/deli/grocery or will it have to be a store devoted to pot?
    As with alcohol, you will need a license to sell and distribute whether it is a devoted store or not.

I don't really have a fundamental issue with legalization, but it does present some thorny practical issues. Doesn't mean they can't be figured out - just will have some bumps in the road.
    Any new policy will have its growing pains, but the general model has been proven with medical marijuana in several states.