Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 218

Thread: You won, it's your country now.

  1. #1
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    State Location Here
    Posts
    8,246

    You won, it's your country now.

    Couldn't have been two more differing visions for America than what was represented in the candidates last night. Obama's vision won, regardless of whether or not those voting for him (or anybody else) have any idea of what that vision really is. By 2016 and beyond, it really won't matter who's running on the R ticket -- he or she won't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning the presidency. There will simply be far too many more "Americans" who vote for a living rather than work for a living by then. Elections are a lock for D presidential candidates from here on out, so as I said in the title, it's your country now. Enjoy!

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,268
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    Couldn't have been two more differing visions for America than what was represented in the candidates last night. Obama's vision won, regardless of whether or not those voting for him (or anybody else) have any idea of what that vision really is. By 2016 and beyond, it really won't matter who's running on the R ticket -- he or she won't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning the presidency. There will simply be far too many more "Americans" who vote for a living rather than work for a living by then. Elections are a lock for D presidential candidates from here on out, so as I said in the title, it's your country now. Enjoy!
    Until the money runs out. We are living Atlas Shrugged.

  3. #3
    Or the GOP can grow a sack (and a brain) and figure out how to include non-old white guys.

    Just sayin'.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    13,851
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    Couldn't have been two more differing visions for America than what was represented in the candidates last night. Obama's vision won, regardless of whether or not those voting for him (or anybody else) have any idea of what that vision really is. By 2016 and beyond, it really won't matter who's running on the R ticket -- he or she won't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning the presidency. There will simply be far too many more "Americans" who vote for a living rather than work for a living by then. Elections are a lock for D presidential candidates from here on out, so as I said in the title, it's your country now. Enjoy!
    what do people who sow nothing reap?

  5. #5
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,286
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    Couldn't have been two more differing visions for America than what was represented in the candidates last night. Obama's vision won, regardless of whether or not those voting for him (or anybody else) have any idea of what that vision really is. By 2016 and beyond, it really won't matter who's running on the R ticket -- he or she won't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning the presidency. There will simply be far too many more "Americans" who vote for a living rather than work for a living by then. Elections are a lock for D presidential candidates from here on out, so as I said in the title, it's your country now. Enjoy!
    Oh stop being a drama queen. As for visions, do we really know Mitt Romney's vision is/was? You can put down Obama all you want, but the fact remains that the GOP put forth a sh!tty candidate.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Or the GOP can grow a sack (and a brain) and figure out how to include non-old white guys.

    Just sayin'.
    Exactly less government doesn't mean a bigger war machine, more prisons more guards at the border, less marriage options or criminalization of abortion. Less government means less government something that can be sold to all Americans.

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    13,851
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Or the GOP can grow a sack (and a brain) and figure out how to include non-old white guys.

    Just sayin'.
    How? The dems already got the market for the "taking other people's stuff".

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    13,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Exactly less government doesn't mean a bigger war machine, more prisons more guards at the border, less marriage options or criminalization of abortion. Less government means less government something that can be sold to all Americans.
    You kiddin' me? If one thing can be observed from the last decade and a half of elections in this country: most Americans want MORE govt., not less.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    You kiddin' me? If one thing can be observed from the last decade and a half of elections in this country: most Americans want MORE govt., not less.
    They want the stuff they want. The OP was talking vision, I view the Democratic vision as more government for minorities and women and the Republican vision as more government for white males. In that scenario the Democrats are going to win for decades until the demographics change again.

    I don't see a Republican vision for less government.

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,268
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    You kiddin' me? If one thing can be observed from the last decade and a half of elections in this country: most Americans want MORE govt., not less.
    Until the money runs out and unless things change somehow the gravy train is close to the station. We are quickly headed to become Greece and there is no Germany to save us. The only thing that I can see turning things around is a new industry that would cause another economic boom and make becoming prosperous easier. You can hide huge expenditures if GDP is growing by leaps and bounds and I honestly believe that if there is a glut of decent jobs it is in human nature for people to try and better themselves. Those opportunities just need to be much better than what they can get sitting on their asses.

    As I stated in a different thread what is that next boom? Where do we go from here?

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    13,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    They want the stuff they want. The OP was talking vision, I view the Democratic vision as more government for minorities and women and the Republican vision as more government for white males. In that scenario the Democrats are going to win for decades until the demographics change again.

    I don't see a Republican vision for less government.
    Right. And in your demographic breakdown, I don't see any portion that's screaming for less govt. It's just competing advocates for more and more govt. (with different visions as to what needs more 'control')

  12. #12
    Your right. The fundamentals of the conservatism ideas lost and the left won.
    The more European style is in.period

    Vote with your pocket as conservatives did to keep taxes low for years.


    Conservatives no longer have winning issues is correct.

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    13,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Trades View Post
    Until the money runs out and unless things change somehow the gravy train is close to the station. We are quickly headed to become Greece and there is no Germany to save us. The only thing that I can see turning things around is a new industry that would cause another economic boom and make becoming prosperous easier. You can hide huge expenditures if GDP is growing by leaps and bounds and I honestly believe that if there is a glut of decent jobs it is in human nature for people to try and better themselves. Those opportunities just need to be much better than what they can get sitting on their asses.

    As I stated in a different thread what is that next boom? Where do we go from here?
    The next boom will probably be similar top the 'boom' created in the former-USSR, when the monolith control system fails and the vacuum left is filled with black marketeers who have the most readily available infrastructure to scavenge the wreckage.

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,268
    Quote Originally Posted by cedk View Post
    Your right. The fundamentals of the conservatism ideas lost and the left won.
    The more European style is in.period

    Vote with your pocket as conservatives did to keep taxes low for years.


    Conservatives no longer have winning issues is correct.
    What we need is for a high profile Libertarian to get noticed. Conservative fiscally and liberal socially could bridge the gap and create a 3 party system but it has to start today, not in 2 years.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    They want the stuff they want. The OP was talking vision, I view the Democratic vision as more government for minorities and women and the Republican vision as more government for white males. In that scenario the Democrats are going to win for decades until the demographics change again.

    I don't see a Republican vision for less government.
    The GOP nationally is slow and outdated. If they have a "vision" for ALL Americans I haven't heard it. They are a backward thinking group. They preach a backward view....lets go BACK to the good old days. That never works, because the good old days were only good for.....wait for it ....OLD WHITE GUYs!

    You want to win the presidency? STOP putting up old tired white guys pining for the good old days. Find a dynamic person who can inspire EVERYONE. People want a leader, not a mannequin. Articulate a vision that includes EVERYONE. Stop the insanity of pandering to the 1 percent.

    You want to throw in the towel because DEMOGRAPHICS don't favor you? Then you don't belong in the race to begin with.

  16. #16
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,268
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    The next boom will probably be similar top the 'boom' created in the former-USSR, when the monolith control system fails and the vacuum left is filled with black marketeers who have the most readily available infrastructure to scavenge the wreckage.
    I don't think we are on that track honestly. I think the biggest risks in America today is that if Obama gets to appoint a couple more SC Justices then we are doomed and probably headed toward collapse and eventual revolution. Until then there will be ways to play this administrations policies to your advantage. The sad part is it is creating an America where it is every man for himself and the only "charity" is from the government.

    "Ask not what you can do for your country, ask what your country can do for you!"

  17. #17
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,268
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    The GOP nationally is slow and outdated. If they have a "vision" for ALL Americans I haven't heard it. They are a backward thinking group. They preach a backward view....lets go BACK to the good old days. That never works, because the good old days were only good for.....wait for it ....OLD WHITE GUYs!

    You want to win the presidency? STOP putting up old tired white guys pining for the good old days. Find a dynamic person who can inspire EVERYONE. People want a leader, not a mannequin. Articulate a vision that includes EVERYONE. Stop the insanity of pandering to the 1 percent.

    You want to throw in the towel because DEMOGRAPHICS don't favor you? Then you don't belong in the race to begin with.
    You know the Manequin in Chief won another 4 years right? The guy with no vision. The guy that divided the country more than any previous president.

    Why is Romney's vision of removing loopholes from the tax code only for old white guys?

    Are you saying that only old white guys can figure out how to make money in the traditional American economy at least as it has been in the past 50 years? That is pretty racist of you.

    What exactly is Obama's vision other than garbage one liners and sit on your ass while old white guys foot the bill? Obama couldn't even pass a friggin budget in 4 years but he has the vision?

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by cedk View Post
    Your right. The fundamentals of the conservatism ideas lost and the left won.
    The more European style is in.period

    Vote with your pocket as conservatives did to keep taxes low for years.


    Conservatives no longer have winning issues is correct.
    Whoa whoa! I thought I was done in here for a while but I can't pull away yet. You guys are just great. Anyway I completely disagree it's fiscal policies that are hurting the GOP. There is zero doubt in my mind it's all based on social issues. They are soooo out of touch here it cripples everything else thy stand for.

  19. #19
    Schluberator & Gadfly
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,508
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    They want the stuff they want. The OP was talking vision, I view the Democratic vision as more government for minorities and women and the Republican vision as more government for white males. In that scenario the Democrats are going to win for decades until the demographics change again.

    I don't see a Republican vision for less government.
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

  20. #20
    To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin, "When the people know they can vote themselves money, that is the end of the Republic".

    Obama smartly appealed to those who are getting a free ride through low/no taxes, welfare, free handouts in Medicaid, cheap education and other appeals to the "mob" mentality. He also made a major appeal to the corrupt unions. It was a good and successful strategy. Appealing to American values of hard work is no longer a smart strategy as Americans have changed their views.

    We will see what the results are, especially in the business community.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us