Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jason Bay no longer a Met

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Jason Bay no longer a Met

I don't have details yet. But he's gone! Will update as soon as the terms of the deal are released.

Hall Of Fame
    Nice.

Hopefully he turns it around somewhere else. Just doesn't make sense for him to totally lose it like that.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

It's being reported that the Mets did save some money. How much I don't know yet. But whatever it is it's a good deal for the Mets because they weren't going to use him. So anything saved is a positive at this point.

http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/201...to_contra.html

Jason Bay and the Mets have parted ways, ending a multimillion dollar marriage that never truly worked for either side.

The team announced Wednesday that it had negotiated with Bay a buyout of the remainder of his contract, meaning Bay immediately became a free agent.

Bay, who hit 36 home runs and drove in 119 runs in 2009 for the Red Sox, signed a four-year, $66-million deal with the Mets during the offseason prior to the 2010 season. However, his production with the Mets -- 26 homers and 124 RBI combined in three seasons, two of which were injury-riddled -- never measured up.

"I still feel I have plenty to give to this game and that I can play baseball at a high level. But after serious consideration, both sides agree that we would benefit from a fresh start," Bay said in a statement released by the team. "I'm grateful we were able to reach an agreement to allow that to happen. ... I have no regrets in signing with the Mets, other than that I wasn’t able to play to the level that the team, the fans and I all expected and that we weren’t able to win more games."

Bay was still due $19 million on his deal. Terms of the agreement with the Mets were not disclosed.

“Jason has a tremendous work ethic. There was never any question about it,” Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said in a statement released by the team. “Unfortunately, the results weren’t there and we are in a results-oriented business. We thank Jason for his efforts and wish him well.”

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Nice.

Hopefully he turns it around somewhere else. Just doesn't make sense for him to totally lose it like that.
    He didn't suddenly lose it. He was never that good. He had a couple decent years but had known holes in his game. As a dead pull, fly ball hitter, he went to Boston and took advantage of left field to get himself a nice contract. His decline was steady and predictable. It's one thing to succeed in Pittsburgh and quite a different thing to do so in NY or Boston.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    He didn't suddenly lose it. He was never that good. He had a couple decent years but had known holes in his game. As a dead pull, fly ball hitter, he went to Boston and took advantage of left field to get himself a nice contract. His decline was steady and predictable. It's one thing to succeed in Pittsburgh and quite a different thing to do so in NY or Boston.
    100 percent disagree.

He average around 30 hr and 100 RBI's for 6 years.

To put up those numbers and then barely play at a replacement level IS a staggering drop that simply could not be predicted, nor explained.
    Last edited by Ruby2; 11-07-2012 at 02:22 PM.

100 percent disagree.

To put up those numbers and then barely play at a replacement level IS a staggering drop that simply could not be predicted, nor explained.
    agreed.

I like Jason Bay as a person, always rooted for him despite how atrocious he was in a Mets uniform. With that said, I don't think I ever saw him drive a ball into the gap with authority throughout his entire tenure here.

The guy legitimately lost the ability to hit a baseball.

Jets Insider VIP
    Thank you Sandy and Thank you God

Wright and Dickey IN
    Bay OUT
    Wheeler joining Harvey, Dickey, Niese, Gee in the rote

Things looking up

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    agreed.

I like Jason Bay as a person, always rooted for him despite how atrocious he was in a Mets uniform. With that said, I don't think I ever saw him drive a ball into the gap with authority throughout his entire tenure here.

The guy legitimately lost the ability to hit a baseball.
    And the Yankees will sign him to a 1 year deal and he'll hit 20 hrs and 80 rbis next year in Yankee stadium

Jets Insider VIP
    And then continue his blazing hitting in the playoffs just like The Grandyman, Swishalicious, Cano doyaknow and the pinstriper's very own JasonBayRod

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Hall Of Fame
    In order to suck in the playoffs you have to make the playoffs.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

100 percent disagree.

How about PEDs? He fits the profile pretty well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    In order to suck in the playoffs you have to make the playoffs.
    You misunderstand my point

I was responding to apost that said if his dead and buried bat were added for one year to the pin$triper$ 700 million payroll Bay would put up boffo numbers in their Homerdrome in the Bronx.

You're not denying that they will purchase another postseason berth, are you?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post

You're not denying that they will purchase another postseason berth, are you?

The Yanks used to suck. Then, they started taking some of the money the fans doled out and investing it in players. Then they started winning. Then, they took even more money and invested again in players and started winning WS's. Heck...the Yankees give the Mets a ton of dough in revenue sharing. You know where it goes?

Your money goes into the Fred Wilpons grandkids trustfund. And to pay Bobby Bonilla...and Jayson Bay to sit home.

What part of this is confusing to you?

-
    Last edited by 32green; 11-08-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    How about PEDs? He fits the profile pretty well.
    Sure, still doesn't explain all of the drop off though.

Bay was one of the worst starting OF's in all of baseball during his time in NY. Even if he was doing, and then stopped PED's, the drop off shouldn't have been that extreme.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    The Yanks used to suck. Then, they started taking some of the money the fans doled out and investing it in players. Then they started winning. Then, they took even more money and invested again in players and started winning WS's. Heck...the Yankees give the Mets a ton of dough in revenue sharing. You know where it goes?

Your money goes into the Fred Wilpons grandkids trustfund. And to pay Bobby Bonilla...and Jayson Bay to sit home.

What part of this is confusing to you?

-
    Actually, YOU seem to be the one confused. The Mets have only PAID in revenue sharing, never received it.

Oh well. At least you can tell us how you like to root for the Mets.

Reports are that the Mets have LOST money as a business over the past few years. Of course, reports are subject to validity errors and conjecture. And the Wilpons are most likely bad businessman.

But you seem to have proof that they are profitable. I would like to se those reports.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Dierking View Post
    Actually, YOU seem to be the one confused. The Mets have only PAID in revenue sharing, never received it.

Oh well. At least you can tell us how you like to root for the Mets.

Reports are that the Mets have LOST money as a business over the past few years. Of course, reports are subject to validity errors and conjecture. And the Wilpons are most likely bad businessman.

But you seem to have proof that they are profitable. I would like to se those reports.
    I've never believed that the Mets lose money.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    I've never believed that the Mets lose money.
    The Mets lose money because of all the debt that they have heaped on the organization. It is not like they did not see this coming, unless they were expecting sell outs every game.

SNY is certainly a profitable venture,

All League
    The Mets lose money because of all the debt that they have heaped on the organization. It is not like they did not see this coming, unless they were expecting sell outs every game.

SNY is certainly a profitable venture,
    You can load anything with enough debt to make it lose money on paper. If they ran the business legit, it wouldn't lose money.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    You can load anything with enough debt to make it lose money on paper. If they ran the business legit, it wouldn't lose money.
    I am not saying otherwise

All League
    I am not saying otherwise
    Sounds like it.