Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: could the Colts be one of the worst teams ever to make the playoffs?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    and I believe this was handled and distinguished in the OP.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    It will take a minimum of 9 wins to get into the playoffs. Any team that wins 9 nfl games in a season is not bad. Sorry, 7-9 seahawks will hold that record forever.
    I think 8-8 is very realistic for an AFC wild card this year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    Luck has been very solid, but don't let the media's love-affair with handsome white quarterbacks convince you it is anymore than that. this is essentially last year's 3-13 IND team + a young franchise quarterback in place of retreads and scrubs.

The media has a love affair with a young Black Qb in Washington and what exactly has he proven?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    The media has a love affair with a young Black Qb in Washington and what exactly has he proven?
    Are you serious?

After only 8 NFL games, RG3 is completing 65.6% of his passes, has thrown for 1,993 yards, 7.61 YPA, 8 TD's, only 3 INT's and has a QB rating of 93.9.

And you ask what has he proven?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Are you serious?

After only 8 NFL games, RG3 is completing 65.6% of his passes, has thrown for 1,993 yards, 7.61 YPA, 8 TD's, only 3 INT's and has a QB rating of 93.9.

+1

Some questionable opinions in this thread. I also think the claim that the '09 Jets were a far better team than this year's Colts is a little off base. Sure, the Jets had a better defense and running game, but that team was 4-6 at one point and used victories against Carolina (8-8), Buffalo (6-10), and Tampa Bay (3-13) just to be in position to let the Colts and Bengals lay down for them in the final two games.

Everyone knows that the '09 Jets don't make a run to the AFCCG that year if Manning plays the 2nd half of the Colts game. If that doesn't qualify the '09 Jets for one of the worst teams ever to make the playoffs, then there's no way to give this year's Colts team that distinction.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    +1

Some questionable opinions in this thread. I also think the claim that the '09 Jets were a far better team than this year's Colts is a little off base. Sure, the Jets had a better defense and running game, but that team was 4-6 at one point and used victories against Carolina (8-8), Buffalo (6-10), and Tampa Bay (3-13) just to be in position to let the Colts and Bengals lay down for them in the final two games.

Everyone knows that the '09 Jets don't make a run to the AFCCG that year if Manning plays the 2nd half of the Colts game. If that doesn't qualify the '09 Jets for one of the worst teams ever to make the playoffs, then there's no way to give this year's Colts team that distinction.
    Realistically, that 09 Jet team would have destroyed this Colts team for the same reason this year's Jets team destroyed this Colts team. They would have snuffed out the Colts passing game and run the ball down their throats. The '09 pass D was so good I think you can make the case that they may have shut this Colts team out.

This year's Colts team is not necessarily the worst (last year's Bengals team was just as bad as a recent example), but they are not a good team. They only do one thing well and that one thing is held together by a rookie QB (who while good is still a rookie and one of the lowest rated passers in the league).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you serious?

8 TD passes in 9 games proves something? The kid has talent, but all he's proven so far is that he can be a dynamic playmaker on a bad team in his rookie season. Cam Newton proved that last year and I noticed things have gone sideways a bit on him this season. RG3 is not the same player (before people jump on me), but I think given his size and style of play, he has quite a ways to go to prove he can be a long-term star QB in this league.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Realistically, that 09 Jet team would have destroyed this Colts team for the same reason this year's Jets team destroyed this Colts team. They would have snuffed out the Colts passing game and run the ball down their throats. The '09 pass D was so good I think you can make the case that they may have shut this Colts team out.

This year's Colts team is not necessarily the worst (last year's Bengals team was just as bad as a recent example), but they are not a good team. They only do one thing well and that one thing is held together by a rookie QB (who while good is still a rookie and one of the lowest rated passers in the league).
    Oh I agree, I just think they're both equally poor teams that benefitted (or might benefit in the Colts case) from favorable matchups. When the Jets season was hanging by a thread, they were given the gift of Jake Delhomme, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh Freeman in his 2nd start to get back on track, plus Manning in Week 16 instead of Week 6.

Both squads are 6/7-win talent with schedules that might sneak them into the playoffs. It happens.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    8 TD passes in 9 games proves something? The kid has talent, but all he's proven so far is that he can be a dynamic playmaker on a bad team in his rookie season. Cam Newton proved that last year and I noticed things have gone sideways a bit on him this season. RG3 is not the same player (before people jump on me), but I think given his size and style of play, he has quite a ways to go to prove he can be a long-term star QB in this league.
    You want to add in his 6 rushing TD's as well?

Look, I agree with you that he has yet to prove he can be a long-term star in the NFL.

But through his first 8 games, he has certainly exceeded expectations.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Look, I agree with you that he has yet to prove he can be a long-term star in the NFL.

The funniest thing about anyone here even remotely bashing RGII or Luck is that if they were on the Jets, 80% of the board would have enshrined him in the HOF and named their first born after him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

He's played well, no doubt. They did trade 3 first round picks to get him though, so I have to think that expectations were extraordinarily high.

Considering how weak the team is around him, trading away those 1st round picks may prove very costly to them having success any time soon.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank You

This Colts team in 09 gets destroyed by Chargers or Bengals in the playoffs. I mean that Chargers likely beat this Colts team by 30 ... Also this Colts team hasn't even made the playoff's yet ahahha .... all this is WAY premature. If the Colts lose every game from here on out this isn't even a discussion. Last year after 5 games people were saying the Bills would win 11 games ...lol .... Giants after 7-7 were gonna fire Coughlin and etc. Now at 6-3 people are talking about this Colts team making the playoff's ... lol they still play Pats, Texans twice, & the Lions. The Texans could easily be playing for a #1 seed at the end of the year ... Thats 4 likely losses .... u got Buff, KC, & Tenn ... all winnable but games they can lose. Lets relax with this playoff talk ... This team could finish 8-8 before its all said and done. I wouldn't book them just yet. We've seen some 7-3 teams fall off the map that were better than the Colts are this year lol. This thread is frog butt

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    All that needs to be said to end this stupid thread is that this team isn't even better than the 2012 Jets ... thus proven

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Way to unnecessarily throw race in there. If you had said "black quarterbacks," everyone would be up in arms, though. Gotta love those double standards.
    ^ I usually disagree with this emotional dweeb but he's right here. Pause with the eye rolling I don't cosign that but 100% on everything else ...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, have to consider the rushing TDs as well, and not just RGIIIs.

For instance, Atlanta is one of the higher scoring offenses in the league, and no one would say that Matty Ice is having a bad year so far.

If I'm reading the stats correctly, Ryan has thrown for 17 Tds for the Falcons. They have an additional 5 rushing TDs for a total of 22 offensive TDs.

For Washington, RG3 has thrown 8 TD passes, but he's run for another 6 TDs himself, and 2 others have run for 6 more, bringing the offense's total to 20 TDs, or only 2 less than the Falcons.