Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Imagine in 2009 we stay with Favre....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Imagine in 2009 we stay with Favre....

No doubt in my mind we would have won that Super Bowl if Favre was our QB. There was no reason to release him. Everyone knows how well he played that year. Coupled with that defense and the power run game we would have been unstoppable. We wouldn't have drafted Mark Sanchez but we sure as hell would have been polishing a nice shiny Lombardi.

Discuss.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dude.

Really?

Dafuq.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    We were loaded in 09 and 10.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Favre replicating his '09 performance while staying in NY is one of those things that looks good on paper but does not at all translate to the three-dimensional world.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    No doubt in my mind we would have won that Super Bowl if Favre was our QB. There was no reason to release him. Everyone knows how well he played that year. Coupled with that defense and the power run game we would have been unstoppable. We wouldn't have drafted Mark Sanchez but we sure as hell would have been polishing a nice shiny Lombardi.

Discuss.

Jets would've had to deal with the PR NIGHTMARE of See-My-Weiner Gate if anyone forgot....

People would then be associating the Jets with Brett's 'Weiner' than a Football team. Although at this moment, they resemble a horse's ass so there's not much difference there....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    They released Favre after trading up for Sanchez in the draft

Rex said plan B was to fly to Hattiesburg with a ton of money to talk Favre out of "retirement"

sometimes plan B could work out the best....

the was the one that got away, like the second half in Denver in 99

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he wanted to stay, it would have been great, but he didn't. This was a one year stop so he could get to Minnesota in 2009. I think everyone knew that, except maybe the front office.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    If he wanted to stay, it would have been great, but he didn't. This was a one year stop so he could get to Minnesota in 2009. I think everyone knew that, except maybe the front office.
    or Chicago!

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    anyway despite it all Favre remains one of my favorite athletes of all time.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess the Colts and Saints would have just forfeited their games against us since they wouldn't have had a chance.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    anyway despite it all Favre remains one of my favorite athletes of all time.
    One of the biggest asshoIes and hypocrites ever in the NFL.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by InsideBlitz View Post
    I guess the Colts and Saints would have just forfeited their games against us since they wouldn't have had a chance.
    Possible, the Jets were beating Indy at home at the half and Sanchez gift wrapped the Saints game, Rex shut down Brees

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    Favre replicating his '09 performance while staying in NY is one of those things that looks good on paper but does not at all translate to the three-dimensional world.
    So you are saying that firing Shotty would have been a condition of Favres return to the Jets? hmmm...

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    that's fine: Sports is entertainment, not a super-serious moral exercise.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post
    They released Favre after trading up for Sanchez in the draft

Rex said plan B was to fly to Hattiesburg with a ton of money to talk Favre out of "retirement"

sometimes plan B could work out the best....

the was the one that got away, like the second half in Denver in 99
    You mean '98.

The one that got away was Vinny's achilles in '99.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Favre brings everybody together!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    You mean '98.

The one that got away was Vinny's achilles in '99.
    January...99

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post

Discuss.
    Shouldn't have gotten Favre at all. Should have stuck it out with Penny for one more year and drafted Flacco as his backup. By end of year Flacco would have been our starter. Miami who was an inferior team to the Jets went to the playoffs that year with Penny and if memory serves me right Flacco made it to the playoffs that year too. Instead we get Favre, waste $13M and didn't sniff the playoffs.

With our draft we end up with Gholston and Flacco goes 18th the Ravens. We may have even been able to trade up for Matt Ryan. If we traded back for Flacco who knows what other picks we could have gotten. Then we could have used our picks the following year to get some more talent at other positions.

Who knows how far we could have gone, but as usual the Jets go for the short term big splash and in one year they were in disarray all over again instead of adding long term value.
    Last edited by Long Suffering Jets Fan; 11-07-2012 at 07:46 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Favre played like crap at San Diego in 2008. Wouldn't have liked our chances in 2009. Oh, and Sanchez won that game.

Favre broke down at the end of the 2009 season, especially when it mattered most, killed the poor Vikings singlehandedly in the Championship Game.

We got what we needed out of Favre- he got rid of Pennington, he got rid of Mangini, that led to Sanchez and Ryan and our best two-year run since Vietnam.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Favre played like crap at San Diego in 2008. Wouldn't have liked our chances in 2009. Oh, and Sanchez won that game.

Favre broke down at the end of the 2009 season, especially when it mattered most, killed the poor Vikings singlehandedly in the Championship Game.

We got what we needed out of Favre- he got rid of Pennington, he got rid of Mangini, that led to Sanchez and Ryan and our best two-year run since Vietnam.

SAR I
    The two-year run since is looking like Nagasaki.