Thread: Rule Question- Kickoffs Out of Bounds

Rule Question- Kickoffs Out of Bounds

Maybe I am wrong, but when Folk kicked the ball out of bounds on the kickoff how does the ball come out to the 40, and not the 35?

Obviously they moved the kickoffs up five yards from the 30 to the 35, so how would it still come out to the 40 on out of bounds kickoffs?

It isnt like they could say they decided to keep the 40 yard line rule even with the kickoffs moved to the 35. Even in past years, there never was a 40 yard line rule. It was always "30 yards from the spot of the kick", which 99.9% of the time came out to the 40 unless there was a penalty assessed before the kickoff from the previous extra point.

Kickoff out of bounds get placed at the 40. That never changed.

Just like a touchback still goes to the 20...

Veteran
    You may be confused with the college rule. In college they place it at the 35.

Quote Originally Posted by thshadow View Post

Like I said, there NEVER was a rule placing the ball at the 40 yard line (unless you want to make that one up in your head). The rule is "30 yards from the spot of the kick." That happened to be the 40 yard line when the kickoffs were at the 30. So did they change the rule to "25 yards from the spot of the kick"

Digest of Rules Main
    Kickoff
    In addition to a kickoff, the other free kick is a kick after a safety (safety kick). A punt may be used (a punt may not be used on a kickoff).
    On a safety kick, the team scored upon puts ball in play by a punt, dropkick, or placekick without tee. No score can be made on a free kick following a safety, even if a series of penalties places team in position. (A field goal can be scored only on a play from scrimmage or a free kick after a fair catch.)
    A kickoff may not score a field goal.
    A kickoff is illegal unless it travels 10 yards OR is touched by the receiving team. Once the ball is touched by the receiving team or has gone 10 yards, it is a free ball. Receivers may recover and advance. Kicking team may recover but NOT advance UNLESS receiver had possession and lost the ball.
    When a kickoff goes out of bounds between the goal lines without being touched by the receiving team, the ball belongs to the receivers 30 yards from the spot of the kick or at the out-of-bounds spot unless the ball went out-of-bounds the first time an onside kick was attempted. In this case, the kicking team is penalized five yards and the ball must be kicked again.
    When a kickoff goes out of bounds between the goal lines and is touched last by receiving team, it is receiverís ball at out-of-bounds spot.
    If the kicking team either illegally kicks off out of bounds or is guilty of a short free kick on two or more consecutive onside kicks, receivers may take possession of the ball at the dead ball spot, out-of-bounds spot, or spot of illegal touch.

Good Question... This is from NFL.com

Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    You may be confused with the college rule. In college they place it at the 35.
    The rulebook does not state anything about what yard line the ball is placed on after an out of bounds kick, before or after the kickoffs being moved to the 35.

The rule was 30 yards from the spot of the kick. What you are suggesting is that if the kicking team is assessed a 15 yard unsportsmanlike a penalty on the previous extra point and are kicking off from their own 20, an out of bounds kick lets say at the opponent's 20 would simply come out to the 40. That simply isnt accurate. It would be spotted at midfield.

The 40 yard line always was the case 99.9 percent of the time before the kickoff change rule moving up 5 yards since that was 30 yards from the spot of the kick, which from the 30 yard line would be the other 40.

I checked with a Ref... They changed it to 25 yards on Kickoffs but kept it at 30 for Kickoffs after a Safety...

Rule 6 - 2 - 3

http://static.nfl.com/static/content..._Rule_Book.pdf
    Last edited by Conkboy; 11-11-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thshadow View Post

See Conkboy's post. Funny how you get cute about the touchback comment, when it turns out you are wrong. Is there a rulebook you made at home that said the 40 yard line?

Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    I checked with a Ref... They changed it to 25 yards on Kickoffs but kept it at 30 for Kickoffs after a Safety...
    Thanks! That is the answer I was looking for. My thinking was that either it was a mistake by the officials or they had to change the rule to 25 yards from the spot kick instead of the 30.

Like I mentioned to the other threads in the post, there is simply no rule that ever said the 40 yard line. The rules only state a reference point, not an exact yardline, which can come into play on penalties from the previous extra point.