Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Namath Rips Woody

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Namath Rips Woody

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...-sales-winning

Can't say I disagree with him. And I agree ... I am starting to feel insulted by some of the comments coming out of Florham Park.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    "... and everything starts at the top."

Wise words, Joe! He's 100% right.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know there are some on this board who have disparaged Namath rather vociferously but I hope he ratchets up the verbal assault on the Jets FO and Woody.
    These guys could f@#k up a bowel movement and it's time for changes. Let's start with a new GM who can evaluate and pick NFL talent.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Namath has said a lot of things last 2 seasons. And he has taken a lot of heat for opening his mouth.

Truth of the matter is, he's 100% right. And has been right about almost everthing the last 2 years.

All the homers don't want to admit it. And many keep telling Joe to shut his mouth. But he's a fan! He sees what many of us see. An orginization that is run by a bunch of clowns.

Owner - Only cares about grabbing headlines even if it's not for the best interest of the team.

GM = A never been GM who's in over his head. He was a cap guy turned GM who has made 40 moves the last few years and maybe been right on 5 of them.

Coach = A defensive coordinator.

Until the Jets bring in a true GM we are screwed. We need a real GM to hire a real NFL coach.

Once we have true NFL minds working together, Woody wont have much say. But what's happening now is, Woody making foolish splashes and all we have are bafoons who have no business putting an end to it..

Give me a real GM and this franchise will be on the up and up.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Listening to Joe comment on the team is like listening to your grandparents list your faults with pinpoint accuracy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    As usual Joe is spot on. It's a shame that the face of our franchise is put in a position to criticize the team. How Woody isn't able to create a better relationship with him is beyond me. Look no further than Hard Knocks where he was basically blown off by everyone, especially Sanchez.

We can't fire the owner. We can only hope that he hires real football people. Truth is that Woody would be a great owner if he surrounded himself with good football people. He is willing to spend money and make moves, he just needs someone that will complement money and willingness with football knowledge.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    As usual Joe is spot on. It's a shame that the face of our franchise is put in a position to criticize the team. How Woody isn't able to create a better relationship with him is beyond me. Look no further than Hard Knocks where he was basically blown off by everyone, especially Sanchez.
    Exactly. It seemed like everyone treated him like some annoying old man and were just trying to say as little as possible to him in order to go on their way. Complete disrespect for our greatest QB in franchise history (as well as a resident of Canton, and the man who brought us our only championship).

It's amazing to listen to Joe because you can tell this isn't just a team he played for. Joe is a FAN.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to 2007, Joe.

Not sure why this is some big news today, we've been discussing this since Tannenbaum started signing every big name or decent free agent in the NFL.

And it actually worked- had we not gotten the likes of Favre, Faneca, Franks, Jenkins, Law, Pace, Richardson, Woody, Izzo, Leonhard, Scott, Taylor, Cromartie, Burress, Mason, and Tomlinson back then we wouldn't have gone as deep in the playoffs as we did.

One can argue, quite easily, that having a freewheeling owner picking up proven free agents is a better strategy than having a freewheeling GM picking up unproven project college boys. We might not need to reload on youth; we might need to reload on age.

SAR I

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Exactly. It seemed like everyone treated him like some annoying old man and were just trying to say as little as possible to him in order to go on their way. Complete disrespect for our greatest QB in franchise history (as well as a resident of Canton, and the man who brought us our only championship).

It's amazing to listen to Joe because you can tell this isn't just a team he played for. Joe is a FAN.
    Yes Joe really loves the Jets and you can see that he bleeds every time they lose.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    "There’s one thing about the athlete: You keep telling him how good he is, he’s going to start believing it to the point that he may not be preparing quite the way he should. Rex has been the only coach that we know, in maybe the history of the game that I’m familiar with, that keeps continually telling his guys how good they are. It's rather alarming. I think these guys might be believing that they’re better than they are."

--Joe Namath, October 2011

Joe was crucified on JI for saying that last season after the Oakland debacle; he was more right than we'll ever know.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    "There’s one thing about the athlete: You keep telling him how good he is, he’s going to start believing it to the point that he may not be preparing quite the way he should. Rex has been the only coach that we know, in maybe the history of the game that I’m familiar with, that keeps continually telling his guys how good they are. It's rather alarming. I think these guys might be believing that they’re better than they are."

Joe was crucified on JI for saying that last season after the Oakland debacle; he was more right than we'll ever know.

SAR I
    This sad, yet true.........

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Namath has said a lot of things last 2 seasons. And he has taken a lot of heat for opening his mouth.

Truth of the matter is, he's 100% right. And has been right about almost everthing the last 2 years.

All the homers don't want to admit it. And many keep telling Joe to shut his mouth. But he's a fan! He sees what many of us see. An orginization that is run by a bunch of clowns.

Owner - Only cares about grabbing headlines even if it's not for the best interest of the team.

GM = A never been GM who's in over his head. He was a cap guy turned GM who has made 40 moves the last few years and maybe been right on 5 of them.

Coach = A defensive coordinator.

Until the Jets bring in a true GM we are screwed. We need a real GM to hire a real NFL coach.

Once we have true NFL minds working together, Woody wont have much say. But what's happening now is, Woody making foolish splashes and all we have are bafoons who have no business putting an end to it..

Give me a real GM and this franchise will be on the up and up.
    100% spot on. If anyone thinks we will be any better than we were in 09/10 they are kidding themselves. Until there is a major coaching and GM change we will suck as usual. We are a joke right now from the top to the bottom.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    Not only that...I WAS PERSONALLY CRUCIFIED by many here for standing with JOE and agreeing with him. My JI friend VIN had be banned for a day because I stuck up for Joe and cursed at Vin.

Joe is 100 percent right. This team, from the top down is run like the Raiders, Lions etc...

The 3 teams with meddling owners , top of my head, Redskins, Cowboys, Jets.

All 3 are mediocre at best......

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post

Joe is 100 percent right. This team, from the top down is run like the Raiders, Lions etc...

Please don't take this personally, but had Mark Sanchez worked out, and played a little more like Eli/Matt Ryan you would be on your knees drooling over Woody and Tanny

It's all about the QB

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could care less what Joe thinks about the Jets. He has knack for knocking this team when things are at their worst. Where was he complaining about the Jets front office in the weeks leading up to the two AFC championship games they made?

Any drunken fool at your local bar could find faults with the a team that is 3-5 and reeling.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to 2007, Joe.

Not sure why this is some big news today, we've been discussing this since Tannenbaum started signing every big name or decent free agent in the NFL.

And it actually worked- had we not gotten the likes of Favre, Faneca, Franks, Jenkins, Law, Pace, Richardson, Woody, Izzo, Leonhard, Scott, Taylor, Cromartie, Burress, Mason, and Tomlinson back then we wouldn't have gone as deep in the playoffs as we did.

One can argue, quite easily, that having a freewheeling owner picking up proven free agents is a better strategy than having a freewheeling GM picking up unproven project college boys. We might not need to reload on youth; we might need to reload on age.

SAR I
    Either one should not be freewheeling. Spending big money to try to buy a team has never been successful in the NFL. Big name FA suck all the cap space out from under a team.

I understand that the jets went to and lost back to back AFCCG. But the first year even Rex did not think they had a shot until Cinci and Indy decided that the last two games of the year did not have to be played.

In 2010, that was a solid team but held together with future dollars.

if you want to compete for a championship once year every four years, then try to buy a team. You want an opportunity to compete every year it has to be thru the draft.

Just look at the amount of FA the Jets have and the lack of cap dollars, they now have a team that is not playoff competitive and have no money to get any better

The owner is not going away, but Tanny or the new GM must convince Woody that building a team takes time. You want a change in philosophy?

Marty Schotenhimer, Director of Football Ops built two continual playoff teams in Cleveland and KC without relying on FA- Marty deals with the owner.
    Eric DeCosta GM- Godell will pressure the Ravens to let him out of his contract.
    Mike Zimmer HC No nonsense coach who has worked under 5 different HC, running both a 4-3 and a 3-4.
    Tanny knows the cap and should stay on in that capacity.
    Last edited by patman; 11-08-2012 at 11:13 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    More and more tired of the pathetic attention whore with each passing half drunk press conference

1. Bar him from all NYJ events and activities

2. Remove him from the ROH

3. Unretire his number and give it each summer to a WR or QB deemed the least likely to make the final roster

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    More and more tired of the pathetic attention whore with each passing half drunk press conference

1. Bar him from all NYJ events and activities

2. Remove him from the ROH

3. Unretire his number and give it each summer to a WR or QB deemed the least likely to make the final roster

So, you frown on anyone expressing their opinions? You prefer, unwavering "homerism"?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're right

I take it all back

Joe is a saint and unquestionably the wisest football media commentator of them all at any time ever

Last edited by sg3; 11-08-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Nope

Only at a pathetic old drunk doing unrelenting negative weekly sh1tstirring for Michael Kay show beer money

That "unrelenting weekly sh1tstirring" happens to be the truth.