Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: could the Colts be one of the worst teams ever to make the playoffs?

could the Colts be one of the worst teams ever to make the playoffs?

they're 5-3 despite being 18% worse than the average NFL team on a given play accd. to FootballOutsiders. have not won a game by more than 6, and a game in regulation by more than 4, and have been outscored by 32 points in the aggregate.

that said: they have several very winnable games left on the schedule. @Jacksonville (38.4% worse than avg. team) tomorrow night, home vs. Buffalo (-13.3%), home vs Tennessee (-39%), and at KC (-44.5%). JAX/TEN/KC are all historically bad football teams if they keep this up.

in addition, IND doesn't draw Houston until they do twice in the last 3 weeks of the season, when the Texans may have already wrapped up the AFC no. 1 seed. with 9-7 likely to do the trick, and very attainable given the Colts gift of a schedule, we could see a team qualify via wild card at 20 or 25% worse than the average NFL team.

addendum: I should make a point to distinguish: Seattle managed to win the division at 7-9 and they were among the worst teams in the NFL that year, but of course it is easier to sneak in via a division win (as you only have to beat 3 teams) vs. sneaking in via wild card (you have to beat 10 or 11 teams.)

The Jets manhandled them. What does that tell you about them.

I believe that would be the 7-9 Seattle Seahawks.

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    I believe that would be the 7-9 Seattle Seahawks.
    and I believe this was handled and distinguished in the OP.

Doesn't matter if they're the worst.

THEY'VE GOT ANDREW LUCK.

The End.

(or maybe not the end....I seem to recall the Jets backing into the playoffs in '09 and they then went on a run to the AFCCG so really...all a team needs to do is GET INTO THE PLAYOFFS. After that, anything can happen)

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post

THEY'VE GOT ANDREW LUCK.

The End.

(or maybe not the end....I seem to recall the Jets backing into the playoffs in '09 and they then went on a run to the AFCCG so really...all a team needs to do is GET INTO THE PLAYOFFS. After that, anything can happen)
    the 09 Jets were much much better than the 12 Colts -- this is not baseball (or hockey), where any team has a chance by virtue of being in the playoffs. the Colts would have literally no chance to win road games at Denver, New England, and Pittsburgh in consecutive weeks. 0%.

and NFL.com said: Andrew Luck is playing at an MVP level. The No. 1 overall draft pick is tied for fourth in the NFL in passing yards and leads the league with 37 completions of 20-plus yards. While those numbers are certainly impressive, the fact that he has produced four 300-yard games despite directing an offense with four rookies (running back Vick Ballard, tight end Coby Fleener and receivers Dwayne Allen and T.Y. Hilton) playing prominent roles says a lot about Luck's ability to make his teammates better. Luck has shown he can carry his team with the game on the line (having engineered four fourth-quarter/overtime game-winning drives in eight starts), meaning that the Colts are always competitive, which is critical to postseason success.

Luck has been very solid, but don't let the media's love-affair with handsome white quarterbacks convince you it is anymore than that. this is essentially last year's 3-13 IND team + a young franchise quarterback in place of retreads and scrubs.

Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    Luck has been very solid, but don't let the media's love-affair with handsome white quarterbacks convince you it is anymore than that. this is essentially last year's 3-13 IND team + a young franchise quarterback in place of retreads and scrubs.
    I know, just would be nice to reading that about the Jets QB, we just read about how Sanchez needs more weapons

2010 Seahawks (7-9 NFC West Division Winners) were and will always be the worst playoff team in NFL history. I am still stunned that they even won a playoff game that year (though I doubt it would have happened had the game been played in New Orleans).

Luck is a fun QB to watch and the Colts are a great story with the team rallying around Chuck Pagano, not to mention that they have some solid weapons (Wayne, Fleener, Allen). I guess we all think that they're bad because we somehow shellacked them.

Jets Insider VIP
    Way to unnecessarily throw race in there. If you had said "black quarterbacks," everyone would be up in arms, though. Gotta love those double standards.

THEY'VE GOT ANDREW LUCK.

The End.

Yeah check the 1980 SF 49ers. A good QB makes a hellava diff. Try looking at the 1992 Detroit Lions IMO. Out side of Berry and Moore most of those guys wouldn't have started on any other team. Ray Crockett was their best D player and that is not saying a whole lot.

Colts Rn't makin PO's! Sorry Luck fans... Im not givin up yet bc 8 gms r left.. my po picture looks like

Pats
    Ravens
    Broncos
    Texans

wc teams

Steelers
    Jets

But......it is more then that. Look what he's done for that team. Ya know, just setting records and winning games. No big deal.

ugh. im jealous.

White? Clearly. Handsome? Really???

It's probably more about that the man can play.

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    White? Clearly. Handsome? Really???

It's probably more about that the man can play.
    yikes is Luck inbreed Canadian ? He looks it in that picture.

THEY'VE GOT ANDREW LUCK.

The End.

Short, succint and completely accurate.

Thats what I dont get about people still defending sanchez here (and i for one thought he was gonna take a big step this year).

Does luck have a good line, good receivers, or good RBs? His skill position players, outside of wayne, are donnie avery, vic ballard, coby fleener and wesley saunders. His "team" went 1-15 last year and yet here is another example of a QB MAKING PEOPLE BETTER.

Sanchez is so far from the type of QB that can elevate his teammates play, its embarassing to watch.

Jets Insider VIP
    It will take a minimum of 9 wins to get into the playoffs. Any team that wins 9 nfl games in a season is not bad. Sorry, 7-9 seahawks will hold that record forever.

What? You ever see that guy? Luck looks like the "missing link" or a young Sasquatch with dental issues.

They do one thing very well: throw the football. If you have a shutdown corner and a good pass D like we do, they will look like one of the worst teams in football. If you do not, they will look average. So really it is about matchups.

I agree they'd be a terrible playoff team, but so were the Bengals last year. 6th seed in the AFC is not much to brag about these days