Thread: Getting paid $11 million and being cut twice

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting paid $11 million and being cut twice

The struggling Kansas City Chiefs cut cornerback Stanford Routt this week, nine months after the Oakland Raiders cut Routt one year into his three-year, $31.5 million contract.

According to Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio, despite getting cut twice since February, Routt will still make $11 million this year $5 million in guaranteed money from the Raiders, and $6 million from the Chiefs.
    It's a minor mystery that KC cut Routt after giving him a three-year, $19.6 million deal this offseason, $6 million of which was guaranteed. The team is 1-7, and they hardly seem in a position to toss aside a player they just made a huge financial commitment to.

Unlike other major professional sports, NFL contracts are mostly non-guaranteed. That's why teams release players so often there's no financial liability. But Routt wasn't one of those non-guaranteed guys.
    Routt cleared waivers today, and is free to sign with any team.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    that's a ton of guaranteed scratch there. how much guaranteed is Santonio getting next season? hehe

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wasn't this the guy 90210 was touting as the next great man-to-man CB not too long ago?

He had to have violated some team policy or something - can't imagine why a guy making that kind of money would be cut midseason instead of just benched.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've not seen much of KC this year. Was he that bad, or other reasons for him getting cut?
    Is he better than K.Wilson?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah he sucked.

from rotoworld.com

The 29-year-old allowed a dreadful 64.1 completion percentage, 491 yards, and three touchdowns in seven games as Kansas City's right corner this year, according to Pro Football Focus. Quarterbacks had an astronomical 111.9 rating throwing at Routt.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by I against I View Post
    Yeah he sucked.

from rotoworld.com

The 29-year-old allowed a dreadful 64.1 completion percentage, 491 yards, and three touchdowns in seven games as Kansas City's right corner this year, according to Pro Football Focus. Quarterbacks had an astronomical 111.9 rating throwing at Routt.
    Dafuq that is awful

Paging 90210 paging 90210....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has Aaron Berry seen any playing time? If not, it can't hurt, right?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah he sucked.

from rotoworld.com

When does New England sign him?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Man...he's so bad I bet even Kyle Wilson is better.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    cut me 3 times.... then fine me for taking a head shot at the commissioner.. do the NFL a favor

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah he sucked.

from rotoworld.com

That is incredibly bad. Credit the Chiefs coaches after 491 yards for finally realizing this. I mean it only took them 7 games.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    That is incredibly bad. Credit the Chiefs coaches after 491 yards for finally realizing this. I mean it only took them 7 games.
    Thank God he's not here. Rex would have kept him for another 2 seasons, and would have made him out to be the next Revis. Oh crap, we already have one like that.