Thread: Pass rush - lack of

Pass rush - lack of

4 guys tied for 81st in the league with 2 sacks. those are the leaders for the jets. OLB has been ignored for too long when you run a 3-4. this is really mind boggling. there are numerous DT's with more than 2

yeah it is no misery non of our OLB would even make most rosters right now. Our DL can't do it alone. Quite honestly I am half shocked we havent just cut the lot and of em. Pace, Maybin, and Sapp are all guys that just aren't NFL quality right now. When Garrett McIntyre and a 33 year old injured Brian Thomas are the best you got that aint good.

and yet somehow the Jets have one of the top pass defenses again. I'd like to see what the opposing QB completion percentage (now 56%) would be if the Jets actually harassed the QB sometimes.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    and yet somehow the Jets have one of the top pass defenses again. I'd like to see what the opposing QB completion percentage (now 56%) would be if the Jets actually harassed the QB sometimes.
    And yet somehow when teams have had to get a first down they have been able to. When Brady needed to pass, he was able to. When Big Ben needed to get a third down, he found Miller.

Rankings are overrated. Only year we had a decent defense was 2009. Since it has been average. Just my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    And yet somehow when teams have had to get a first down they have been able to. When Brady needed to pass, he was able to. When Big Ben needed to get a third down, he found Miller.

Rankings are overrated. Only year we had a decent defense was 2009. Since it has been average. Just my humble opinion.
    I think he was making that assertion. Can't be certain, but basically he was saying it was a mild miracle that we even rank well in pass defense. Imagine it with a pass rush, then we'd have something. The reason we had a really good defense in 2009 was that our LB were faster so we could bring the heat on a blitz. Rex could scheme the pressure.

Here is the problem though, you need at least some ingredients to cook up a pass rush. A pass rusher is saffron, that rare spice that can pull the whole thing together. If you can't get your hands on that, well you get the next best spice (maybe some garlic for the Italian's in the crowd) and that would be speed in this analogy. If you choose not get either... you have some bland garbage no matter what else you put in.

The problem I see is that after Gholston we never went after an LB until Davis this year. Now we don't even have the speed for Rex's blitzes to work. And has been harped on, we definitely don't have that rare pass rusher.

Yet another example of the front office being unable to spot a sever weak spot until it just kills them for a few years. OLB is the new one. I like Coples but imo we needed an olb far more than a DE type of player in the past draft.

Bakervious Mingo or Damontre Moore in Round 1 please

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    4 guys tied for 81st in the league with 2 sacks. those are the leaders for the jets. OLB has been ignored for too long when you run a 3-4. this is really mind boggling. there are numerous DT's with more than 2
    We're balanced

All Pro
    Reason we have a good pass D is because opponents can run all over us and don't need to pass. There have also only been two games where opposing teams were trying to play catch up on us (Buf, Indy).

Quote Originally Posted by JETSJetsJetsJets View Post
    We're balanced
    Best group Rex ever coached. He said so, so I gotta believe our HC.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Best group Rex ever coached. He said so, so I gotta believe our HC.
    Rex has the best defensive mind in football. He's very defensive about having Tebow forced on him like Favre was on mangini. In his mind the best way to defend against woody's bone head move is to not play him.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Whut ees theese thing you call Pass Roush? Theese sumthing new Rex will try?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Caster View Post
    Rex has the best defensive mind in football. He's very defensive about having Tebow forced on him like Favre was on mangini. In his mind the best way to defend against woody's bone head move is to not play him.
    This is what I once believed, too. Now? I'm thinking Rex is like "Push Button" Joe McCarthy. As Baltimore's DC, he had so much talent that I could have coached those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    Our pass rush is the most balanced in the NFL. That is what you want. One guy can be shut down. A deep and talented D-Line cannot be. Teams don't even throw that much against the Jets because our coverage is so good. We are one of the top pass D's in the NFL even while missing the best defensive player in the game and yet the SOJF want to complain about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Rah_Rah_19 View Post
    Our pass rush is the most balanced in the NFL. That is what you want. One guy can be shut down. A deep and talented D-Line cannot be. Teams don't even throw that much against the Jets because our coverage is so good. We are one of the top pass D's in the NFL even while missing the best defensive player in the game and yet the SOJF want to complain about everything.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm81LSKJC2k

Jets Insider VIP
    Last Jet to get double digit sacks was J Abe, that really tells you all you need to know.

I wonder if any other team has gone that long.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Rah_Rah_19 View Post
    Im not sure how to take you. Are you in Don Rickles imitation mode of well...you know.

Hey you hockey puck...the JETS are goin to the SB with this stellar D!