View Poll Results: What position should the Jets draft in the 1st round next year?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • QB

22 25.00%
  • OL

18 20.45%
  • WR

3 3.41%
  • RB

16 18.18%
  • DL

1 1.14%
  • LB

28 31.82%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: At this point in time, what position do you think the Jets should draft in 1st round?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalChampion View Post
    No, it's exactly what we need. Look at Belichick. He stockpiles TE's and tries to get as many good WR's as possible for Brady because it's a passing league. In our case, we can stay ahead of the curve by being an elite pass defense team. If that means we use the next 4 drafts on CB's and safeties, I'd be thrilled.

I hope you're right.
    So the most successful team does one thing, and you suggest we do the opposite. Well our defense would be great if we had faster outside LBs so I'd go with that in the first round since that is a difficult position to fill deeper in the draft. It's tough to fault your logic though. I'd go OLine, and RB the next two and repeat that the next two.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    BPA.
    The Jets have too many needs and need to build a team for the near and distant future. You cant keep drafting based on need alone or else you will pass up on great football players. What this team lacks the most is great football players regardless of position. We have only had one (Revis) since Curtis Martin/Wayne Chrebet retired
    Sorry, but Mangold is pretty good. Cromartie is playing like the 2nd best CB in the game right now, and Wilkerson, Ellis, and Coples are going to be great. Landry is pretty damn good, and so is Ferguson, Keller, and Kerley. The only hole on defense is at outside LBer and NT through injury. We need a RT, and a Guard. We need a RB or two, and probably a QB now that he's been ruined. We need to hope that some of our young players step up. Now is the time to let them play to see what we have. Davis, Sapp, and Dowtin all need to play. I'd like to see Howard rotate with Smith, and Rueland get some more time over Cumberland.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has to be a pass rusher. Has to be. This year's draft is loaded with them (Mingo, Werner, Jones, Jordan, Moore, Ansah, etc), the position has been neglected for WAY too long and Thomas, Maybin and probably Pace will be gone after this year. The two most important positions are QB and pass rusher and, lets face it, since we're most likely stuck with Sanchez for one more year, seems like a no-brainer. The only exceptions i see to this are if Geno slips to them, but that seems like a long shot at best, or Rex develops a serious man crush on Te'o. I also haven't heard of any TEs or RBs being worthy of a top 15 pick this year.

Not buying the BPA talk at all this year. It's going to be a pass rusher. Just watch.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    Has to be a pass rusher. Has to be. This year's draft is loaded with them (Mingo, Werner, Jones, Jordan, Moore, Ansah, etc), the position has been neglected for WAY too long and Thomas, Maybin and probably Pace will be gone after this year. The two most important positions are QB and pass rusher and, lets face it, since we're most likely stuck with Sanchez for one more year, seems like a no-brainer. The only exceptions i see to this are if Geno slips to them, but that seems like a long shot at best, or Rex develops a serious man crush on Te'o. I also haven't heard of any TEs or RBs being worthy of a top 15 pick this year.

Not buying the BPA talk at all this year. It's going to be a pass rusher. Just watch.
    Unless someone else can run into a tackle and stand still then Pace's job is safe. He can still set the edge, but can do nothing if the back bounces outside. Pace is virtually worthless at this point. Thomas isn't much better. We need at least one OLB, and maybe two, if neither Sapp or Dowtin show anything. At least one of these needs to be a pass rushing mismatch. You find those in the first round. That would solve all our problems on defense, which is still pretty good with no passrush, and there are some specimens available next year. There can be no excuse for not drafting one.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Unless someone else can run into a tackle and stand still then Pace's job is safe. He can still set the edge, but can do nothing if the back bounces outside. Pace is virtually worthless at this point. Thomas isn't much better. We need at least one OLB, and maybe two, if neither Sapp or Dowtin show anything. At least one of these needs to be a pass rushing mismatch. You find those in the first round. That would solve all our problems on defense, which is still pretty good with no passrush, and there are some specimens available next year. There can be no excuse for not drafting one.
    I'm with you. But I could see the team giving Pace a one year, veterans minimum deal like they did with BT this year. I also wouldn't complain if the Jets doubled down with OLB/DEs in the first two rounds -- I'm that fed up with the pass rush.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    At this point in time, what position do you think the Jets need to draft in the 1st round next year?
    A quarterback that will make defenses pay dearly for coming after him behind the line.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInNNJ View Post
    A quarterback that will make defenses pay dearly for coming after him behind the line.
    I forgot about that guy. What was his name again?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are way too many holes to pick just one.

It will have to be the best player available... I hope it's either a QB or a pass rusher. RT wouldn't be so bad either.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can we get a GM first?

And then the BEST AVAILABLE PLAYER?!

because this team sucks from top to bottom

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    BPA. If given a choice a pass rushing olb.
    it has to be a pass rushing OLB... trading up to get mingo or jones should definitely be considered

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    I'm with you. But I could see the team giving Pace a one year, veterans minimum deal like they did with BT this year. I also wouldn't complain if the Jets doubled down with OLB/DEs in the first two rounds -- I'm that fed up with the pass rush.
    we need pass rush and LB's that can set the edge and defend the run too. neither pace or BT seem to be able to do either of those things lately. maybin is not a OLB and mcintyre is not the answer. if sapp can show something in these last 8 games it would be a huge addition to this defense. we need to fill OLB, OL, and RB through the draft this year

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan_toronto_canada View Post
    I think we have a lot of needs, but I think OL needs to be a focus as long as rex is here and we are looking to ground and pound, we need help at RB but i think that can be addressed later or maybe even by adding a vet -

I really think they need to keep drafting OL high untill that unit is deep and is considered among the leagues best again. Its not a coincidence that sanchez and the running game have regressed since woody retired, that threw off the whole unit and its hasn't even remotely recovered. It never hurts to have a whole stable full of young stud OLs.

Obviously OLB is needed greatly, but they don't grow on trees and we can't afford to reach and miss. This draft needs to be more offensively focused. with RB and OL being the greatest positions of need for the type of team rex wants to run.
    100% in agreement. This is where the Jets problem and solution to them begins. We have other needs, but an OL that can pass block will give our receivers time to get open and if they can run block open lanes for our running game. If we don't fix this you can put a superstar QB, stud RB/WR out there and it won't matter.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Although we need offense more, I think it would be best to get an OLB in the first round, because quality edge rushers are hard to find and the two guys we start right now are at the end of the line. I'd be OK with spending most of the remaining draft picks on offense. Maybe a running back in Round 2, and offensive lineman in Round 3, etc.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best Offensive Player Available.

We've already spent way to many first picks on defense. This is a league built around explosive offensives. The way you build a quality franchise in today's NFL is offense.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J-E-F-F View Post
    Although we need offense more, I think it would be best to get an OLB in the first round, because quality edge rushers are hard to find and the two guys we start right now are at the end of the line. I'd be OK with spending most of the remaining draft picks on offense. Maybe a running back in Round 2, and offensive lineman in Round 3, etc.
    I can agree with that, in addition what I'd like to do is stockpile picks in rounds 2-4 through trading existing player, or trading back, so that we can get the 2nd rd. running back and the additional OL, or additional OLB. In the later rounds lets get a stud FB and a blocking tight end to help us pass protect and run block as well. We were horrible in picking up the blitz this year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Can we get a GM first?

And then the BEST AVAILABLE PLAYER?!

because this team sucks from top to bottom
    We have a winner. If we don't get a GM who knows how to spot talent, it doesn't matter where you draft or how many picks you have.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Take a qb in round 1. That was easy.
    Way easy! No wait a second! first we need a GM then we choose a QB.
    Last edited by TechJet; 11-10-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    You keep drafting QBs till you get it right. Lots of solid rosters in the NFL infused with nice talent...minus a talented QB.....and what does that get them....Jet-like results.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    here is the problem:

There is not a single person in the entire world that can do what Revis can do. Not one. I have nightmares that he will go home to the Steelers. I know they would not pay that much for him, but with the injury it opens that scenario up.

I want revis in green and white.
    Imagine him on the Pats.

Bellichek would pay for him. He paid Ty Law a fortune way back, and a true corner would help his D immensely.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Imagine him on the Pats.

Bellichek would pay for him. He paid Ty Law a fortune way back, and a true corner would help his D immensely.
    Ty Law was released because his cap hit was too big. Based on their handling of Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, and Asante Samuel there is nothing in the Pats' history and evidence of team-building philosophy to suggest that Belichick would be willing to break the bank for a cornerback, even Revis. Would never happen.