Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Forget Tebow, it's McElroy time.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    ... and Sanchez can?
    What's Sanchez have to do with McElroy having a worse arm than Chad Pennington? Have you watched McElroy throw a football?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    2013 Salary: $12,853,125 Dead Money if Cut: $17,153,125

Mark Sanchez is your 2013 starter as well.

Tell me a way Sooth - there's no way around his 2013 contract. He's uncuttable and untradeable. Tebow/Mcelroy aren't good. This team has hitched it's wagon for the time being.
    IF theres no way out ..jets must go back to the recipe of marks first 2 years..rebuild 0-line...sign/draft a true #1 rb...get a damn legit pass rusher in this draft!!! and try to stockpile picks( trade revis??) and rebuild this team around sanchez..he has shown he does well w strong running game and good defense...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsPrisoner12 View Post
    Maybe your right but no one knows that. Unless he gets a chance no one knows and that includes all the coaches, scouts, front office people etc.
    I know he has a noodle arm.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Anyone who thinks McElroy is the answer is off their rocker. He can't make the throws.
    All these people saying McElroy can't make the throws, what evidence do you have to support this? His draft spot?

The film, watching him at practice and his performance in preseason tells me otherwise. It at least tells me he deserves a shot to show his stuff.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    All these people saying McElroy can't make the throws, what evidence do you have to support this? His draft spot?

The film, watching him at practice and how he's performance in preseason tells me otherwise. It at least tells me he deserves a shot to show his stuff.
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profil...495312OVERVIEW
    McElroy could quickly emerge as a quality backup NFL quarterback but does not possess the physical attributes of a starter. Fully grasps the mental side of the game and has succeeded in multiple pressure-packed situations but simply does not have the arm strength to force and NFL defense to defend the entire field. Comfortable making NFL-type reads, accurate when hitting short to intermediate targets, and capable of moving around in the pocket. However, we don't expect him to be able to hit the deep out or zip the ball into tight coverage at the next level, so McElroy carries a late Day 3 grade. PENNINGTON REDUX

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

The film, watching him at practice and his performance in preseason tells me otherwise. It at least tells me he deserves a shot to show his stuff.
    I think the biggest problem right now with McElroy is that he hasnt played since pre season. He doesnt get any reps in practice and doesnt even suit up for gameday. I agree he is the play right now, he just needs some work to get ready.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan10 View Post
    McElroy could quickly emerge as a quality backup NFL quarterback but does not possess the physical attributes of a starter. Fully grasps the mental side of the game and has succeeded in multiple pressure-packed situations but simply does not have the arm strength to force and NFL defense to defend the entire field. Comfortable making NFL-type reads, accurate when hitting short to intermediate targets, and capable of moving around in the pocket. However, we don't expect him to be able to hit the deep out or zip the ball into tight coverage at the next level, so McElroy carries a late Day 3 grade. PENNINGTON REDUX
    That means nothing.

Tom Brady Positives: Good height to see the field. Very poised and composed. Smart and alert. Can read coverages. Good accuracy and touch. Produces in big spots and in big games. Has some Brian Griese in him and is a gamer. Generally plays within himself. Team leader.

Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the '99 season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    2013 Salary: $12,853,125 Dead Money if Cut: $17,153,125

Mark Sanchez is your 2013 starter as well.

Tell me a way Sooth - there's no way around his 2013 contract. He's uncuttable and untradeable. Tebow/Mcelroy aren't good. This team has hitched it's wagon for the time being.
    Finances aside you do not know about McElroy. Why put him down without giving the guy a shot?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    err that is not evidence. it is someone's opinion. Lets see what the guy has on the field with our #1's. Then we will know much the same way that NE found out that Brady was all-world! It could happen again, who really knows? "They" also laughed at Kurt Warner and Warren Moon. I'd say they truned out Kn wouldn't you?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    I know he has a noodle arm.
    I know that i have a solid idea about how old u are.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's just maddening that the Jets have to go through two quarterbacks just to get to the one player who can actually make the games interesting to watch.

I know McElroy is not going to save the season or anything ridiculous like that, but I'd love to have a reason to get excited watching this team play on Sundays. Hoping the 3rd-string guy can develop into a solid backup is all we have left as fans of the 2012 version of this team...how sad is that?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    We spent how many years watching Kellen Clemens ride the bench before we knew he sucked? Let's not go through this again. Tebow is not the answer, so why not get McElroy ready to play in two weeks (after practice snaps with first team) and finish out the season? At least we'll see what he has.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    We spent how many years watching Kellen Clemens ride the bench before we knew he sucked? Let's not go through this again. Tebow is not the answer, so why not get McElroy ready to play in two weeks (after practice snaps with first team) and finish out the season? At least we'll see what he has.
    I seriously think Rex will get, and would rather be fired first.

As a fan, im 110% for it.(the mcelroy thing)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    That means nothing.
    obviously they were wrong on bradys arm strength..idk my eyes tell me he doesn't have a good arm..i do think he's smart and can run a pro style offense.but even brady has better physical attributes ..right now gun to my head he can be a solid #2..limitations just like chad had as a #1...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    I'm a big proponent of evaluating NFL prospects by what they do on the college football field against high caliber opponents. It's not 100% accurate, but it is better than basing it on combine performances. Both the SEC (Mcelroy and Tebow) and PAC 10 (Sanchez) are top conference, with the SEC being the best in the country top to bottom. Here is how the Jets 3 QB's did in their final college seasons.

Sanchez 241/366 65.8% 3207 34/10 8.8ypa 164.6
    Tebow 213/314 67.8% 2895 21/5 9.2ypa 164.2
    Mcelroy 222/313 70.9% 2987 20/5 10.1ypa 169.0

Even in college Sanchez was the most interception prone, and he was even less accurate than Tebow Big Mac (that's what I'm calling him now) had by far the highest completion percentage and ypa meaning he wasn't dinking and dunking the ball all the time.

Every opportunity Big Mac has had, he has performed. Whether at Alabama against the cream of college football, or even in the pre-season against NFL scrubs, the guy has answered the bell. It is time to figure out what the Jets have... a career back-up or a starting caliber NFL QB. Face it, the Jets right now are winning club if the QB completes 60% of his passes and stops turning the ball over so much. Mcelroy could be that guy, but we'll never know unless he is given an opportunity.

thats the best argument for mcelroy..

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    obviously they were wrong on bradys arm strength..idk my eyes tell me he doesn't have a good arm..i do think he's smart and can run a pro style offense.but even brady has better physical attributes ..right now gun to my head he can be a solid #2..limitations just like chad had as a #1...
    I've seen him live in practice and in camp. He does not have a weak arm and as far as I've seen he can make all the throws.

Until you see him in action with the 1's there's no telling what he can do. The emergence of so many late draft picks and undrafted free agent QB's into starters in this league as of late evidence of this.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen him live in practice and in camp. He does not have a weak arm and as far as I've seen he can make all the throws.

Until you see him in action with the 1's there's no telling what he can do. The emergence of so many late draft picks and undrafted free agent QB's into starters in this league as of late evidence of this.
    fair enough at this point we as fans need something to look forward too..!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough. But I would hate to see him cost us draft position with a win or two.

BTW, do you guys have the next podcast scheduled? If so, when?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

These guys saw this guy throw 2 or 3 passes in a preseason game when he was getting smashed in the face and decided he didn't have an NFL arm. Greg McElroy's arm strength is almost as strong as Mark Sanchez.

It's the job of the 3rd string QB to give the defense the Look of the opposing QB for the upcomomg week.

I have a few question.

How it is Possible for a kid who can't make the throws to do this properly? How is it possible for the defense to guage the tempo of the upcoming offense going up against kids who don't play?

Against the Texans and the Pats,the Jets practice the 1st team against the 1st team with live hitting once a week and the results showed even thou they didn't win.

Do they still do this?