Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The last offensive minded head coach the Jets hired

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

The last offensive minded head coach the Jets hired

.... Rich Kotite

It's been almost 20 seasons and 5 coaches (Parcells, Groh, Herm, Mangini, Rex).
    The entire NFL has gone offensive and the Jets have never hired an offensive minded coach to run the team.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kotite was more absent-minded than offensive minded.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    It really is amazing how many bad HCs we've had over the years. I remember how bad the Coslet days were too. If you think Rex is stubborn, Coslet refused to hire an offensive coordinator which cost him his job (even despite the collapse at the end of '93).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. Kotite's mind was offensive.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    .... Rich Kotite

The entire NFL has gone offensive and the Jets have never hired an offensive minded coach to run the team.
    We actually hire the same coach over and over again just with a different personality but their coaching traits are all the same.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    .... Rich Kotite

I'd seriously say at least 70% of all NFL HCs right now are on the D side. Even Harbaugh like his brother is a D minded coach. Out side of Reid, Mike McCarthy, Turner, maybe Wiz. who else is really out there? Those are the only ones I can think with any kind of success with an O minded coach. Most have very short careers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What about this---when is the last time the Jets had a top five NFL coach-----Maybe Parcells?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I'd seriously say at least 70% of all NFL HCs right now are on the D side. Even Harbaugh like his brother is a D minded coach. Out side of Reid, Mike McCarthy, Turner, maybe Wiz. who else is really out there? Those are the only ones I can think with any kind of success with an O minded coach. Most have very short careers.
    Kubiak
    Mike Smith
    Garrett
    Munchak
    Mularkey
    Gailey
    Sean Peyton
    Pat Shurmer

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is really only one guy I would like to see replace Rex if he were to get fired.

Bill Cowher.

I wouldn't want anybody else.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why does everybody want an offensive coach. Chan gailey and Garret in Dallas are so called offensive coaches. How about just a good coach. Tomlin in pitt is no offensive coach but he is good.Just bring a good coach here
    .... Rich Kotite

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    .... Rich Kotite

Yeh the entire NFL ... Mike Tomlin, Bellichick, Mike Smith in Atlanta, Tom Coughlin, Pete Caroll, Jeff Fisher, Lovie Smith.

Here's how the NEW NFL works ... 3 out of the 4 divisional leaders right now in the NFC have defensive minded coaches ... Mike Smith, Coughlin, Lovie Smith, and in the AFC 2 out of the 4 divsional leaders as well are defensive minded coaches ... Fox in Denver & Bellichick. The other division leader? A Special Teams coach in Baltimore and the next best record is the Steelers/Tomlin.

^ this should break down the ridiculous myth that the rest of the NFL has moved towards offensive minded coaches & that this is the way to go. What you need is a REAL QB, some offensive coaches, and thats that. This entire post was so factually wrong by a guy with scientist in his name lol. "come on guys offensive minded coaches guys, THATS THE FORMULA" ...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    There is really only one guy I would like to see replace Rex if he were to get fired.

Bill Cowher.

I wouldn't want anybody else.
    I want Cowher here ... I doubt he'll take the job but boy will he build a great franchise. He'd bring in a REAL GM, REAL offensive coaches & defensive guys, and we'll be disciplined in every way. I would hand over the entire franchise to this guy and let him pick the GM all the way down to all the coaches.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Holmgren wants to coach again....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    If Holmgren wants to coach again....
    +1

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    I want Cowher here ... I doubt he'll take the job but boy will he build a great franchise. He'd bring in a REAL GM, REAL offensive coaches & defensive guys, and we'll be disciplined in every way. I would hand over the entire franchise to this guy and let him pick the GM all the way down to all the coaches.
    Cowher isn't a GM. Cowher would want full control. The track record of 60+ year old coaches who want full control for the first time is really terrible. The Jets should look for a GM and president of football operations, THEN look for a coach.

THe worst thing they could do is look for a coach first.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ever Coach hired by the Jerts has been offensive

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We dont need an offensive minded coach.
    We need a competent coach who will have a disciplined team that is prepared week in and week out playing without mental errors and holding players accountable.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cowher isn't a GM. Cowher would want full control. The track record of 60+ year old coaches who want full control for the first time is really terrible. The Jets should look for a GM and president of football operations, THEN look for a coach.

THe worst thing they could do is look for a coach first.
    Agreed 100%.
    Eric DeCosta would be my first choice

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not so much that we need an "offensive minded' coach, but we need a coach that at least respects and understands that in today's league you need to score points. Plain and simple. If you need to sacrifice Defense to do so then so be it. The bottom line is you need a mediocre to good defense that applies pressure along with a solid offense. Rex cares first and foremost on fielding a top 5 defense. That's his priority. After that the pieces of the team fall where they may. His philosophy is to control the ball with offense and sut down the opponent completely, ie win games 17-10, 20-13, 13-6, etc etc etc. That justy doesn't fly anymore. Rex is extreme in his beliefs and they are antiquated and outdated for today's game. Either he needs to change his philosophy and evolve or he's going to lose his opportunity as a head coach.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec318 View Post
    Why does everybody want an offensive coach. Chan gailey and Garret in Dallas are so called offensive coaches. How about just a good coach. Tomlin in pitt is no offensive coach but he is good.Just bring a good coach here
    The Jets had a HC and they threw him in the garbage because he was not what the NFL and it's fans expect a HC to be. He was a Leader of men who didn't micro managed, Just led his team.

His worst seasons as HC came when he was forced to play with the QB who was not his desired starter heading into a season or for large parts of a season. Combined with that, he was forced to play without some of his better players because the FO decided that the money those players wanted didn't reflect their performance.

Under Rex Ryan the Jets gave Mark Sanchez a bonus and a new contract coming off his worse season in the NFL . The Jets followed that up by givind a malcontent WR a new contract the season after his actions were instramental in that same miserable season.

Under this aforementioned HC, The Jet allowed the best WR on the team to leave in a contract dispute. The following yr after improving to top 5 in defense the Jets again allowed that HC's Defensive anchor at NT to leave via a contract dispute.

Yes my friends the Jets had a real HC but alast, he didn't fit the mold of what a HC should look like. Funny,Mark Sanchez looks exactly like what a Franchise QB should look like.

Then he plays.